The Shoe Company Employee Reviews

Love It
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 September 2018
I am challenged, rewards, recognized and constantly pushed to achieve the results I know I am capable of. Low stress, high physical labour. Great environment, great managers, great customers.
Fast paced environment with lots of fun and interesting coworkers,
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON23 September 2018
Amazing learning experience with training teams, planning for major sales events/peak seasons, managing hours and balancing budget and goals. Best part of the job is utilizing the team to achieve various goals to benefit store operations, store environment, overall progress. Its really rewarding to celebrate those achievements as a team. Hardest part of the job is balancing executing various task during peak seasons while maintaining a budgeted amount of hours and ensuring tasks are completed efficiently and on time.
Pros
Amazing deals on shoes.
Cons
Fast deadlines and poorly planned workload.
Best place I've ever worked
Fredericton - Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, CA17 September 2018
A lot of moving stock and making everyone flexible, management was amazing and always helped me get the days off i needed. overall probably the best place I have ever worked.
Pros
management
Cons
wish i got paid more
Worst Place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC9 September 2018
Everything seems to be good at the beginning and then you are ask to do management work for a supervisor pay which 13.65. Not a lot. Manager is always at the back sitting while us associate running the store. If manager does not like you too bad. Others sucking up just to get on the good side of the manager. Lack of actual training. Cleaning up shoes just to look new is something we have to do in a daily basis. Too much work for minimum wage.
Pros
Good co worker
Cons
Too much work, favoritism with manager, no hours
Good Part Time Job
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON4 September 2018
I worked at the Shoe Company while attending school. They were respectful of the hours I was available and understood when school required my attention.

The management I worked for was excellent.
The staff were enjoyable to work with, but we were micro managed and heavily scripted. Marked daily for performance,
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 August 2018
I hear they have changed their working model, but this company was very punitive and big brother seemed always to be around. The manager I worked for never seemed to trust her employees enough, and head office seemed to always be seeking out new ways to cut down on perks to the job.
Pros
Pay check
Cons
Too scripted
Productive and yet relaxing workplace with kind associates
Part time associate (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON27 August 2018
A typical work day would consist of helping customers find the right style and pair of shoes, cash the customers out, and keeping the store clean and tidy. I learned to always ask what the customer wants and how to make them walk away with a smile. The management was good. They were very kind and understanding to any situation. The workplace culture was productive and relaxing, the associates were kind and nice people to talk to and yet passionate about providing the best service. The hardest part of the job was unpacking the stock since the store did not have a proper back room and thus, we had to unload the stock behind a tarp, leading to customers trying to enter. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to explore all the possibilities of shoes with the different personalities of both the customers and associates.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
large space to keep clean
Great Part Time Job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON16 August 2018
I worked here while I was in College and I absolutely loved it. All the workers were so nice and they were always so understanding when I was in finals and needed more time to study. They're very good at training you and always willing to help you when needed. You get a 30% regular priced items discount which was great as well. My favourite part of this job was definitely the people.
Pros
Great staff (at this location), flexible schedule, employee discount, low stress
Cons
From my own personal experience I had none.
Great Part Time Job
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 August 2018
I worked here part time while I was still in high school and my manager was very understanding of time off requests for school. My co-workers were great and my manager ran a tight ship. When he was transferred to another store things kind of fell apart as we got a manager that was not particularly good at her job, but the company is very well run with great staff initiatives to up sales. However if you are like me and love shoes... not the best place to work when you're trying to save money. :)
Pros
discounts, great environment
Cons
crazy rushes, smelly feet :(
a good customer service job
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB5 July 2018
I've been working at The Shoe Company for over a year now and it was my first job, and for a fist job i would definitely recommend it. like all jobs it has it ups and downs but overall it taught me a lot. and teaches you a lot about customer service

Want to know more about The Shoe Company?

Ask a question
Ok place to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 July 2018
management is okay. the hours could be better. salary is low for management position. promotions are notified to the store in a very tight time line and needs to be changed which is a huge headache if we are less staffed for the day and it is busy.
Terrible culture
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Orleans, ON28 June 2018
Store Management and coworkers are fantastic. Treatment or customers and employees by upper management is terrible. High workload expectations for bare minimum staffing. Not enough labour hours provided to get tasks done and serve customers as head office desires. Not a lot of upward mobility or raises available, job is secure but hours are not
Cons
Poor discount, poor culture
Aweful place to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON19 June 2018
A district manager who really did not care and was completely fake and unprofessional. Manager that fabricated and never really took a stand with employees, she liked to talk behind associates backs, high school drama. They would still make it seem like you do absolutely nothing. no respect and appreciation.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Company breaks policies, upper management likes to micro manage, you will make the same wage a the rest of staff, some staff are childish and unprofessional
Great work place, good time schedules
Sales Associate and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON18 June 2018
In a typical work day, I always have the opportunity to learn something new, its a great work atmosphere and the work schedule is alright can be better but it is good so far, the management is amazing everyone is polite and kind and fun to work with.
Pros
Free lunches, great team
Cons
short hours
Production while having fun
Customer service Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 June 2018
Log in, check the targets for the day, create desired goal. Learned the basic necessities for managing a store, but most came from my schooling. Management was inadequate in providing proper training. Modules that needed work was not provided after the first day. Hardest part of the job was dealing with management. Most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the smiles of satisfied customers and returning clients.
Pros
Took leadership role
Cons
Lack of guidence
Part-time
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON13 June 2018
The shoe company is a lovely, fast pace job where you meet new people daily which helps make the longer shifts more interesting and fun filled. Cleaning the store after closing is a requirement but not at all difficult. They train you as a cashier, teach you how to place online orders for customers, and teach you many helpful tips on customer service. Working on the floor you assist customers with finding shoes as well as cleaning up the aisles, greeting customers and informing them about current sales. I truly enjoyed my time working at the Shoe Company.
Pros
Meet new people
Cons
Sometimes long shifts
Productive and fun work place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON4 June 2018
I enjoyed working with others and learned a lot about the workplace culture. This retail position helped improve my communication skills and I enjoyed the challenges that came along. It helped improve on all my skills overall.
Fun entry level job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON16 May 2018
Good job to introduce you to core retail skills. management is nice. great position to gain lots of experience in different roles like sales, cashier, stock etc
good job for youth
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 May 2018
great work environment, solid coaching from management, good overall atmosphere, poor salary and benefits good job for a part time employee going to school.
Pros
free shoes
Cons
shift work
Constructive and healthy work environment with an awesome team.
Manager on Duty (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB9 May 2018
At The Shoe Company, I learned a variety of life skills that I will apply in any job or career that I may experience. The team that welcomed me, and the team that we built over the time that I worked with the company was supportive, co-operative and exceptional.
Pros
Good management.
Cons
Understaffed.