The Shoe Company Employee Reviews

was okay
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON25 February 2019
Don't get very many shifts, some times did not have a lot of people on floor which was difficult, on call shifts were not paid, lots of information to contain in not a lot of time.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON23 January 2019
Great brands and variety of products for good prices, coworkers are very polite, and customers are generally very friendly as well.
Not much to complain about.
Pros
not very stressful, usually calm and manageable at busy hours.
Cons
short on hours
Terrible environment for assistant managers
Assistant manager (Former Employee) –  Orleans, ON16 January 2019
You are hired as an assistant manager but you have no say in conference calls or any aspect of the work environment
You are constantly placed in an unsafe work environment climbing ladders to now put all stock on very high shelves .
Basically you are hired to clean and organize
Customer service I was told was not a priority .
It is basically a self serve environment
Could not stand watching older people struggle to find their shoe and size as well as young families needing help
Was penalized for selling and providing customer service instead of stocking
Remember you are hired as an assistant manager but you have no duties or say
Shocking environment not client based at all except for their rewards program that brings clients in
Pros
Cons
Many
great place to work
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Thornhill, ON8 January 2019
A typical day included helping customers and dealing with any issues that arised.
It was a great place to work and customers and store manager were a pleasure but upper management was quite unreasonable and it was impossible to have any work/life balance..
Received free shoes based on performance which was the best part of working there.
Company expected you to learn extensive product knowledge but training was not really available to everyone..
Hours were very sparce
Pros
free shoes
Fun Workplace
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  London, ON5 January 2019
Help customers find what they are looking for, keep the store clean and put away any shoes that are left out. Checkout customers when they are ready to buy their shoes.
Very negative upper management and office personnel
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON19 December 2018
No one listens to associates in the front line
They just want want want want want
And quite frankly it’s impossible to get what they asking for because the economy is down
So instead of pressuring and bullying associates do your job and follow the company values first before preaching
Pros
Great people to work with at my location
Cons
Just very negative
Great Company
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON6 December 2018
Great hours, awesome team members, and considerate manager. Everyone is caring and friendly. Manager allows you to take days off for school and for exams.
love my customers
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, AB6 December 2018
I had good customers alongside decent pay and decent hours. As well as got along with most people in the work place as I am a friendly natured person.
Good place to work for part time
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON5 October 2018
If you are in school and looking for a part time job thats good with availability well this is the right place fo you! Staff members are really nice. The best part of it all is you learn a lot about product knowledge.
Pros
good with availability
Cons
No hours, on calls and always cutting shifts
Love It
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 September 2018
I am challenged, rewards, recognized and constantly pushed to achieve the results I know I am capable of. Low stress, high physical labour. Great environment, great managers, great customers.
Fast paced environment with lots of fun and interesting coworkers,
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON23 September 2018
Amazing learning experience with training teams, planning for major sales events/peak seasons, managing hours and balancing budget and goals. Best part of the job is utilizing the team to achieve various goals to benefit store operations, store environment, overall progress. Its really rewarding to celebrate those achievements as a team. Hardest part of the job is balancing executing various task during peak seasons while maintaining a budgeted amount of hours and ensuring tasks are completed efficiently and on time.
Pros
Amazing deals on shoes.
Cons
Fast deadlines and poorly planned workload.
Best place I've ever worked
Fredericton - Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, CA17 September 2018
A lot of moving stock and making everyone flexible, management was amazing and always helped me get the days off i needed. overall probably the best place I have ever worked.
Pros
management
Cons
wish i got paid more
Worst Place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC9 September 2018
Everything seems to be good at the beginning and then you are ask to do management work for a supervisor pay which 13.65. Not a lot. Manager is always at the back sitting while us associate running the store. If manager does not like you too bad. Others sucking up just to get on the good side of the manager. Lack of actual training. Cleaning up shoes just to look new is something we have to do in a daily basis. Too much work for minimum wage.
Pros
Good co worker
Cons
Too much work, favoritism with manager, no hours
Good Part Time Job
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON4 September 2018
I worked at the Shoe Company while attending school. They were respectful of the hours I was available and understood when school required my attention.

The management I worked for was excellent.
The staff were enjoyable to work with, but we were micro managed and heavily scripted. Marked daily for performance,
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 August 2018
I hear they have changed their working model, but this company was very punitive and big brother seemed always to be around. The manager I worked for never seemed to trust her employees enough, and head office seemed to always be seeking out new ways to cut down on perks to the job.
Pros
Pay check
Cons
Too scripted
Productive and yet relaxing workplace with kind associates
Part time associate (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON27 August 2018
A typical work day would consist of helping customers find the right style and pair of shoes, cash the customers out, and keeping the store clean and tidy. I learned to always ask what the customer wants and how to make them walk away with a smile. The management was good. They were very kind and understanding to any situation. The workplace culture was productive and relaxing, the associates were kind and nice people to talk to and yet passionate about providing the best service. The hardest part of the job was unpacking the stock since the store did not have a proper back room and thus, we had to unload the stock behind a tarp, leading to customers trying to enter. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to explore all the possibilities of shoes with the different personalities of both the customers and associates.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
large space to keep clean
Great Part Time Job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON16 August 2018
I worked here while I was in College and I absolutely loved it. All the workers were so nice and they were always so understanding when I was in finals and needed more time to study. They're very good at training you and always willing to help you when needed. You get a 30% regular priced items discount which was great as well. My favourite part of this job was definitely the people.
Pros
Great staff (at this location), flexible schedule, employee discount, low stress
Cons
From my own personal experience I had none.
Great Part Time Job
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 August 2018
I worked here part time while I was still in high school and my manager was very understanding of time off requests for school. My co-workers were great and my manager ran a tight ship. When he was transferred to another store things kind of fell apart as we got a manager that was not particularly good at her job, but the company is very well run with great staff initiatives to up sales. However if you are like me and love shoes... not the best place to work when you're trying to save money. :)
Pros
discounts, great environment
Cons
crazy rushes, smelly feet :(
a good customer service job
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB5 July 2018
I've been working at The Shoe Company for over a year now and it was my first job, and for a fist job i would definitely recommend it. like all jobs it has it ups and downs but overall it taught me a lot. and teaches you a lot about customer service
Ok place to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 July 2018
management is okay. the hours could be better. salary is low for management position. promotions are notified to the store in a very tight time line and needs to be changed which is a huge headache if we are less staffed for the day and it is busy.