The Scoular Company Employee Reviews

Great company, but not a lot of advancement options
Merchandiser's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MN14 March 2018
I really enjoyed working at The Scoular Company. The people were good, the culture was good, and the work was interesting. I truly felt that The Scoular Company cared about it's employees and treated it's employees well. The environment was fast-paced and there was a lot of work to do, but it was manageable and there was a good work-life balance.

The only drawbacks, for me personally, were that the pay was a little below competitive and there were not a lot of opportunities for advancement. I was very early in my career when I worked here and advancement was important to me.
Pros
Great company, great environment
Cons
Few advancement opportunities without relocating
Poor Management, little knowledge of local needs
Foreman/Laborer (Former Employee) –  Nampa, ID23 February 2018
Advice to management: Listen to your employees, dont bring family in as employees, follow HR guidelines. Listen to your customers, and their suggestions.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Poor Management, no communication
Fast-paced, high-risk high-reward environment
Grain Merchandiser Intern (Former Employee) –  Friars Point, MS1 February 2018
As an intern I was treated very fairly and compensated handsomely. I also enjoyed my co-workers that I interacted with on a daily basis and felt like I was working as part of a team.
Good company if you can work the hours.
Grain Manager (Former Employee) –  Tribune, KS3 November 2017
Country grain elevator in western Kansas. Very progrresive management. Great customer service. Good pay and benefit package. Aggressive grain origination position.
Not my favorite
Payroll Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NE2 October 2017
Not my favorite, not treated fairly by my manager and co-worker.
I was pushed out of my job by my manager who made me look like I could not do my job and was discriminated against.
Pros
benefits and pay
Cons
stressful
Performance based compensation, manage your own business
Manager (Current Employee) –  Unknown, Unknown10 July 2017
Scoular seems to have a culture where each business unit is given a large amount of freedom to operate in the fashion that they believe will make them the most successful. I assume that there may be different cultures in place depending on who's umbrella you are working under. I really enjoy the culture in my unit. I feel that I am a major contributor over whether or not my location will be successful. People in the group are very knowledgeable, aggressive, and regularly share information with each other. One thing that I enjoy is that I don't think that success is purely measured with overall profitability, rather how many opportunities the market gave us. I also believe that compensation is largely based on individual performance, something that some of the competition does not do. Many company's are more likely to pay based on specific roles. If a person is in a position and brings much more than the average person in that role, I believe there compensation should be noticeably higher.
Pros
Freedom, benefits, culture, overall compensation
Cons
no major cons
Overall good company
Operations Lead (Former Employee) –  Virginia7 July 2017
Enjoyed my three plus year with the company. The only reason I decided to leave was because of a new manager that was brought in, and I didn't like the direction the location was going.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
No home life
wasnt bad at frist
mainenance/welder/fabercator (Former Employee) –  Weiser, ID26 April 2017
if you looking for a place to feel under appreciated and under paid look no farther. The Scoular Co is not a place I would ever recommend nor would I ever return to work there.
Corporate Management
Corporate Safety Specialist (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NE8 April 2017
Hands down some of the best people I have ever met in my life.
I didn't agree with one what I consider a major safety concern, which was the belt style man life. I know that they are "grandfathered in" but they are a work fatality just waiting to happen..
Co-workers were very friendly
Merchant Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MN13 July 2016
Manager was in a different office and not very flexible when family issues arose (didn't happen often).
I handled wheat transportation and then went on to help with warehousing and feed storage.
I handled warehousing, rail and trucking invoices.
My co-workers were wonderful and always around to help out if work became a little overwhelming.
I loved going to work every day.
Pros
co-workers, work atmosphere, parking allowance.
Cons
health care, non-communication with manager
Totally Hit-Or-Miss
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KS23 August 2015
Middle management is the worst I have ever witnessed. It's a pyramid of displacing blame all the way down. Some groups are better than others, some are horrible.

If you interview for this company, be absolutely sure to find out as much as you can about the business of the group you are interviewing for. Try to dig out as much information as you can so you can be certain the manager has a comprehensive business plan and isn't "winging it" week after week.

The pay is above average and it seems all they actually care about is being at work, results are much less weighed when evaluating employees. So just show up on time and leave after your boss, do whatever it is you're told to do and truly do not bother doing anything extra, because it will:
a.) go unnoticed or
b.) claimed to have been your superior's idea.
Pros
Great exposure to the markets and how they really work.
Cons
The company is a revolving door. About a 25% chance you get in with a good group, 75% chance you board a sinking ship.
Productive people fun environment
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Downers Grove, IL21 June 2015
A typical day at the Scoular Company for me included answering telephone calls, maintaining the office supply room, sorting and delivering mail, booking conference rooms, and some filing. With this company, I've learned to communicate more effectively, manage my time, and how to work alone as well as with the a team. Management was friendly, fast, and reliable. My co workers were some amazing people as well. I don't think I had hard task although, staying on top of the high call volume could get stressful at times. However, I enjoyed everything about this job.
not my favorite
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Waverly, IL1 April 2014
had to work very long hours, and weekends, holidays. It is hard to manage work and family with this job.
Fun
Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Channahon, IL28 February 2014
Enjoyed dealing with farmers. I was educated in the farming industry. Very exciting
Pros
Co-workers and farmers
Cons
Cold in winter
Good people, and business structure strong and effective
Commodity Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NE26 July 2013
Just overall good company to work for. Everyone worked on level playing field no matter what position you - all treated equally. Very progressive company.