The Salvation Army Employee Reviews

Excellent work place with great experience
Protections services officer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 October 2017
Great work place with great work experience that has enhanced my verbal communications skills, alertness, and my confidence in dealing with aggressive combative individuals
Pros
Great benifits and managment
Cons
Low Pay increases
Caring workplace
Janitor (Current Employee) –  Williams Lake, BC2 October 2017
A typical day is I clean the dining hall, kitchen, food bank, work on some things during downtime, then clean all of downstairs. I also help as needed.
Enjoyable work atmosphere
Coordinator Assistant (Former Employee) –  Penticton, BC29 September 2017
I worked with seniors and youth in the gardens, picking fruits and vegetables, cooking with them, showing them how to can, and prepare foods. I learned many skills with the crew I worked with.
Productive and friendly environment
Kitchen Helper (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC27 September 2017
In the amount of time I worked there I thought the salvation army was a great learning experience for me and the co-workers were friendly we always had fun I'm In the kitchen
Pros
Long hrs and got to take food home with me
Cons
Always in a rush and some of the regulars we're alot to handle
Excellent supportive management
Practicum Student (Former Employee) –  Courtenay, BC21 September 2017
I completed my first practicum with Salvation Army and it was a very rich learning experience. I truly appreciate everything they do and the programs they supply -free of charge- to those people who are less fortunate and often marginalized within our society.
Meet lots of People
KETTLE WORKER (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON18 September 2017
Set up my Station to Collect Money for Christmas. How to Communicate with People. Excellent Managers. Great work Culture. Standing on your feet a lot. Having Sundays off.
Very humble volunteering position but lackluster
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON15 September 2017
A typical day mostly consisted of setting up at a public location with the kettle and standing with a happy smile to greet those willing to donate. I learned how to communicate with complete strangers efficiently. The job was quite dull as there were no other staff or volunteers with you or in the immediate area as I believe co-workers positive energies can greatly benefit your work etiquette.
Pros
Donations went towards a good cause
Cons
Quite dull being the only volunteer on location
always keeping busy
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL11 September 2017
there were so many things you could be doing between serving customers, categorizing and pricing new product, clearing old product from the racks, hanging up new items, etc.
Pros
50% discount, first look at new items
Cons
allergies
Volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON. Canada6 September 2017
I volunteered during the Christmas season to ring the bells and collect donations. I would stand in part of the shopping center and ring the bells and people would either choose to put money in the Christmas Kettle or not. That's it
was thankful
Intake Worker/ Food Bank (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 September 2017
i had a great was thankful for my time with the salvation army, they had taught me a lot and helped advance my skills. they worked with my hours knowing i had young kids at home. great experince.
awesome work place
Youth Leader Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB5 September 2017
Working at the salvation army was a good place to work great people , i had lots of fun I would help a lot and work well with every one the only hard part was certain people that went there
Pros
free food
Cons
A wonderful company to work for.
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Stratford, ON1 September 2017
Assisting the Administrative with the various tasks in the office during the Kettle Campaign. This was a temporary position that was during the Christmas fund. Entered names and addresses of clients getting Christmas Hampers and issued receipts to the people who donated money.
Excellent Place to Worship and Work!
I am a Salvitionist! (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON1 September 2017
The Salvation Army Rideau Heights Corps is very warm and friendly. The Word of God is preached there. Many people are helped spiritually and physically. We enjoy the love of the Lord there. Everbody can do something.
Awesome Clients, staff morale is horrible
Residential Counsellor (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON27 August 2017
Overall good days, lack of communication.. Tons of staff delegating instead of doing.. Not all staff care, just want the money. When concerns are brought to attention people don't take them seriously, people kind of just do whatever they want. Some supervisors need to be reconsidered, not very helpful. When you need help they always have excuse for not being around or they start delegating again.. typical.
Pros
Awesome Clients
Cons
Unorganized, too many people delegating instead of DOING
support person
Front desk / Support worker (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS25 August 2017
can be a difficult environment to work in. you never know what could happen at any moment, making it possibly unsafe work conditions. should be paid more for the location and situations that occur.
fulfilling job. no benifits
Respite Support Worker (Current Employee) –  London, ON23 August 2017
No benefits unless full-time. Only 3 full time positions exist and they are all permanently filled. the job itself is wonderful and fulfilling. management could improve ten fold
Collaborate with community leaders from this organization
Social Worker Assistant (Current Employee) –  North York, ON23 August 2017
Referred families to others food bank, financial assistance programs, employment and
training support and health and immigration services.
Addressed questions and concerns from the general public or from our clients.
Met with clients one-on-one to determine necessary services and make appropriate
treatment recommendations.
Referred clients to partner agencies for additional services.
Entered client data in a centralized database and maintained up-to-date case records
for all clients.
Helping to educate residents and families about available services and resources.
Kept up-to-date, thorough and accurate case files.
Pros
good working environment
Cons
sabbat work schedules
Great place overall
Store Associate (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ON18 August 2017
The management is good. The workload is pretty heavy for the little training I personally have received in the last six weeks. Overall I enjoy the environment and the majority of the that people I work with.
Pros
Salary is good for part time work
Good environment, lots of interesting people
Volunteer work at food bank and thrift shop (Former Employee) –  Dawson Creek, BC17 August 2017
A little unorganized but meeting people makes up for it. Good place to volunteer and gain experience. Must be a self-motivated worker that can effectively manage many tasks at once.
Pros
Flexible work
Cons
Poor management
Salvation Army Thrift store, now closed
Inventory Management (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB16 August 2017
St. Albert Salvation Army Thrift store, closed due to Value Village opening.
Duties included the following; thoroughly inspected and accepted merchandise delivery. Accurately priced, displayed and stocked merchandise, reorganized floor space, increased sales by optimizing merchandise placement.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Salvation Army. Our community is ready to answer.

53.4K