The Salvation Army logo
The Salvation Army

The Salvation Army Employee Reviews

Found 1,334 reviews matching the searchSee all 14,526 reviews

Fun work place in the beginning!

Booth has changed management so many times with so many different working styles, found it to be stressful, inconsistent, slave drivers, no work life balance.

Pros

Free lunches only during training sessions internally.

Cons

Management now very opinionated and don’t listen to staff for input regarding program.

fun relaxed store

I have been trained in many different areas of operation at the Thrift Store. This keeps me interested. I enjoy helping the customers as well as sorting donations.

nice place to work

team spirit and support, nice to work there,need a full time hours employment, after working five years, need good work benefits to part time workers

Recycling is creativity

A typical day at Salvation Army includes a fast-paced environment in selling merchandise while focusing on quality. In my whole 20 years of experience, I have learned that reinvention is key. You have to categorize quickly what we are displaying for the day. Creativity is essential and quick judgement is required. I was very sad to hear that my store was closing in February but I have been actively seeking job opportunities at this company. One of the most enjoyable part of the job was giving a second life to a second-hand item to someone.

All departments work very well together, a real team.

During my employment with Salvation Army I was fortunate to be part of the departments growth. The Activity team was very supportive and was a remarkable group to work with. The Director of the department is very approachable and supportive with new ideas.

Excellent job to self reflect

it was amazing to work with the Salvation Army . It gave me the opportunity to collect donations from individuals to help those in need . It helped me realize that even if you have just a little bit of money o,food or any help that you can provide to those who need it, you make yourself a better person

Helping the most vulnerable and marginalized in our community.

Decent work/life balance. Communication needs major improvement. Quality benefits package. Operates old school - too bureaucratic. No loyalty to lay staff.

Great for learning to interact with the public

I stood at an agreed upon location, being responsible for a Salvation Army kettle. My responsibility was to be polite and courteous to the public, representing the Army well. As people made donations, I thanked them, and in some cases discussed how they could be eligible for a tax receipt.

Belkin House

This is my experience as a shelter worker only. I highly recommend working at Belkin House. The shelter is high barrier and management there is really good.

Intake/Residential Worker

Very friendly environment. Management is there when you need them. Equal opportunity. It’s a great place to gain valuable experience in mental health and addiction. Learning the program is pretty easy, but you need to know how to multi task in this position. Time goes fast and there is always someone there to help if you need it.

Jobs at The Salvation Army

See more jobs

Worked for wonderful people

I was only ever greeted with smiles from all support staff. Any questions or concerns were immediately addressed. Excellent organization. Very accomodating in regards to locations and open to additional suggestions.

Volunteer work, sorting rations and assisting kitchen

Occasional volunteer work, sorting rations and assisting kitchen. Typically prepared food hampers and helped clean. Hardest part about it was probably heat. Staff were friendly and welcoming. Environment was comfortable and safe.

Great place to work and volunteer

Enjoyed the interaction with the customers. Sorting was educational and rewarding. Never know what you would come across. The staff are great! Always on hand if you needed help.

great honest work enviorment

Throughout my employment with the salvation army they are very willing and able to train you to be the best at your position. the managers are thoughtful caring people who will guide you on the right path.

Fun place to work with great people

Everyone is great to work with. Clients are wonderful. Pay could have been higher considering the responsibility. Organization was not great. overall i had a good experience working there

You have daily quotas, which some days are hard to meet, staff is fun, and management will work with you when you need days off. Physical labor if you are working in the back. Nice to be able to help people with vouchers or to find what they need at a reasonable price.

productive and great staff

when i worked as a volunteer at the salvation army i never had any problems and i was always comfortable. the staff is great and respectful. the store is always kept clean

Volunteer Supervisor/ Coordinator

I was responsible for recruiting and interviewing as well as keeping files and providing counselling when needed . I ran and oversaw many key programs such as monthly Produce Box, Breakfast, Christmas programs, food sort, Food Bank and community interactions. We were a small staff with an army of volunteers who provide liaison and services for the vulnerable and marginalized

productive work environtment, fun place to work

A typical day job as a fundraiser at salvation army is fun, easy and makes you meet a lot of people from the community and beyond. I live the management and the work culture is enjoyable I don't find any part hard

Satsifactory work environment.

Steady work, physical labour. Fast paced. Good management. Some extended hours. Outdoors with basic warehouse duties. Meet people from around the world.

Dirty, unhelpful staff and coworkers!

No issues with clients, it was staff who were the biggest downfall! Staff didn’t want to help out when I needed assistance to better get an understanding of the work which need to be completed, and which was required daily to keep management informed! Clients were of no issue, staff were the biggest downfall! High turnover rate!

6.2K