The Salvation Army logo
The Salvation Army

The Salvation Army Employee Reviews

Found 1,333 reviews matching the searchSee all 14,516 reviews

Fun work place in the beginning!

Booth has changed management so many times with so many different working styles, found it to be stressful, inconsistent, slave drivers, no work life balance.

Pros

Free lunches only during training sessions internally.

Cons

Management now very opinionated and don’t listen to staff for input regarding program.

Fast-paced and toxic work environment

Fast-paced, a lot of duties that can be easily completed within a day. Learned to work under pressure and with a team. Management is unfair and do not take the best interest of their employees in mind. The work place culture is toxic at times and a lot of work place politics comes into play. The hardest part of the job is working with unmanageable residents and lazy staff. The most enjoyable part is working alone.

Pros

working alone

Cons

almost everything

not worth it.

as a salvation army thrift store clerk the work is very easy however management are bullies. you're entitled to breaks but they get upset if you take them. they talk about customers once the customer has left the store. they talk about other staff when they arent around. they bullied me into a position they knew i couldnt take in order to get rid of me without giving me a layoff. they say they are there to help people but they question if the person actually needs it or not. staff is actually able to buy and purchase anything at the store before it goes out onto the floor to needy people. they talk about and make jokes about " students " who arent from here

Pros

the customers

Cons

management

Amazing management team, very appreciative of employees time and efforts.

Highly recommended, great environment to be creative. The availability of fresh vegetables, dairy products, meats, and fruit was truly a pleasure....and the appreciation of extra effort from management was a very positive aspect.

Pros

Management is extremely supportive and open to suggestions for improvement.

Cons

Very strong union presence...promotion was / could be difficult.

Nope!! Nope! Nope!

For a Christian organization this establishment is a disgrace. The prices are high the staff are rude and have first pick of things at a fraction of the cost they would charge the public.

Pros

Stuff for cheap

Cons

Rude staff

I thought it was a great place to work. I liked my coworkers, my manager, I liked the atmosphere & the hours. I would definitely recommend The Salvation Army as a great place to work to anyone.

Pros

Friendly environment, good pace job

Cons

I want everything I see...

Amazing place to work, if you're looking for part-time hours

It was crazy, fun, exciting, nerve wracking, and relaxing all at the same time! Some of the most genuine, loving people on earth work there, and I loved every second of it. I would recommend having another job working here however, as the pay was decent, and I found myself needing extra hours more and more. That could have just been me though.

Pros

Peaceful, accepting work environment.

Cons

Short Hours (6-4)

Relaxed but productive workplace with friendly management.

Very relaxed work environment, but tasks can become repetitive and boring at times. Store is usually pretty quiet inside, so most of the time you'll be stocking shelves, bagging clothes, and sweeping the floor towards the end of the day.

Pros

Nice people, not very challenging

Cons

Can be repetitive and boring

Coworkers/Manager

you're looking for a place to work then Salvation Army is not the place for you because during time there the supervisor is a tyrant because if you make one small mistake he will yell at you and make you feel like you are not apart the team. The coworkers will find anything and everything to complain about you despite the fact that you have more the complement on how great you're work is. If they think you're work is not good enough they will grab their is not good enough they will grab their cellphone and snap a photo to send it in to the supervisor. Gloria is one of those that will treat you like dirt if you're new. One new guy lasted 3 days after Akin the supervisor yelled at as his staff for no good reason.

Pros

Free food

Cons

Boss/coworkers

Productive and steady phase

The workload is steady and a friendly environment for new workers to begin with. A secured place to work because of the benefits. depending on what department you are working, you probably will enjoy the workplace culture. Opportunity is always open.

Pros

Free coffee

Jobs at The Salvation Army

See more jobs

fun workplace

very friendly and cool manager and coworkers, only bad thing you have to deal with a lot of garbage between donations and lots a sketchy people . but it helped me with my communication skills and being at the cash register

Pros

discounts

Cons

customers

Good place to start

management is good however lots of politics involved in who become managers and one Director moves all the pieces around. Work environment and infrastructure is run down operating from within various old buildings. Work life balance is good and workforce unionized. Although union doesn't do anything for us

Pros

Work life balance

Cons

no advancement, poor staff morale from working in an old building and cobstant construction around us

Fun workplace

Everyone that works there was very nice. Everyone helped each other out. Flexible hours. You do what job is needed. I learned that helping other people out felt very good.

Satisfactory

If you don't mind being harassed by people who are trying to steal from the store. People getting promoted over you, you will fit in if you don't mind someone who doesn't know what they are doing giving you orders. It will be alright.

Warehouse worker and driver

I have experience in warehouse working environment and delivery (clean driver abstract). Hard working and serious. I am available to work full time. I am flexible for shifts.

Great place for students.

Easy job if you like kids. Good environnement with low stress. May have to do some prep for classes. No payment, all volunteer work. Only for about half an hour every Sunday.

Pros

Working with kids

Cons

No pay, all volunteer work

Fun volunteering with friendly people

It was on Sundays when I did this and I went with somebody to make it more enjoyable. The environment was welcoming and well kept. The head cook gave direction on cooking. When service came it was open for an hour and we cleaned and left.

Pros

Free lunch

fun work space

volunteering at salvation army is very interesting, I get to package food for the food bank and distributing it to people is interesting, I am happy I was able to put a smile on people's face.

Pros

free lunch

Cons

short hour

People that work here are a really nice group

Working here is definately what customer service is all about. People from many walks of life come to this store and serving them has given me a great experience.

Pros

Never a dull moment

Cons

Different shifts

It was good

It was fine and the overall experience there was very accepting. I would recommend that a friend go there and volunteer for the compulsory 40 hours. It was good

fun relaxed store

I have been trained in many different areas of operation at the Thrift Store. This keeps me interested. I enjoy helping the customers as well as sorting donations.

6.2K