The Salvation Army Employee Reviews

They were like family.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS5 January 2018
I was able to work under minimal supervision after receiving clear and concise instructions for the day. I enjoyed getting to know our guests on a first name basis. They made the work environment even more enjoyable.

I liked the fact that we were able to maintain a fairly tidy thrift store and that our level of theft was relatively low.

Management was great.

Loved being able to give back to the community with Good Works at Work campaigns and helping others in need.

I didn't enjoy selling mattresses and the price of pillows seemed high .
nice pace to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB4 January 2018
good busy work easy to keep busy
i learned about all sorts of cool stuff working here
the management is wonderful the supervisors are great
enjoyed working here very understanding
very diverse group of people
fun
kettle worker (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON3 January 2018
I enjoyed the work and it was a fun environment I thought the employer was really nice and understanding and I really enjoyed being able to interact with the community
Beneficial work experience with a great atmosphere and staff!
Thrift Store Worker (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NS3 January 2018
Working at Scotian Glen Camp has been a joy and privilege year after year. It continues to be a place of growth, new opportunities and countless friendships. The hardest part of the job is the long and rigorous work days. The daily schedule is tightly packed, and being around approximately 100 low-income children every day is draining in and of itself. However, the outcome of seeing children have a free, happy and safe place to enjoy life for a week, makes all of the exhaustion and hard work worth it.
Pros
Seeing growth in children
Cons
Long days
Enjoyable and friendly enviornment
Child and Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON2 January 2018
Working with kids is my passion and I got to work with a variety of families and kiddos. overall great learning opportunities. if there were more job opportunities available her I would continue to work there.
gave out tickets
Volunteer Experiences (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON1 January 2018
this was a event at school where i was the cashier and i had to deal with many kids my age and younger to control then and make them stand nicely in a line and not to cut front in the line
volunteer
STOCK ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON30 December 2017
at the salvation army i didn't really learn anything it was bascily straight forward just cleaning around the store and also removing clothing from the racks basically stocks kind of work
Running shelter was a learning experience
Ran a extreme cold weather shelter (Former Employee) –  413 6th street new Westminster27 December 2017
I loved my job there but it wasn't long enough only seasonal the Salvation Army helps a lot of people and does a wonderful job in helping people in need of housing food and resources for people in need of them
Pros
Excellent food program
Cons
People there were not allowed to watch movies and radio was not allowed
cashier
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC20 December 2017
i loved working here opening and closing going threw stuff to be put out i loved the people i was working with as well the boss was great loved them lots i really enjoyed that place helped out in the food bank part as well i loved it there big time
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
love working and helping people
people are nice and understanding, resoniable
Customer Service/Laborer (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON15 December 2017
worker is a volunteer (most likely), so there is no specific time to show up or leave you just do the amount of hours as you like task are simple and easy, they can be finished vary quickly.
Attitude Of Gratitude
Lounge Cleaner @ the Beacon shelter (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC12 December 2017
I am forever grateful to the Salvation Army, they opened their arms to me while I was sick,homeless, on My last legs.......God Bless Everyone associated with S.A.
Fun and enjoyable work environment
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 December 2017
I was volunteering with them for summer camp and I really enjoyed my time there. It was a great experience. the organisation helps a lots of people .
great work helping people
Domestic Violence Counsellor/ Support worker (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC7 December 2017
too much gossip and competitiveness...really no room to move up and the turn over rate is unbelievable ...the administrative assistant is absolutely the best and and the older staff is phenomenal...the new staff has made it a very challenging place to work
Loved the co-workers, customers and clients
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Vernon, BC6 December 2017
In the morning I would open the store, welcome clients, put out merchandise, and run the til, assist clients and customers. I learned much about people who are homeless, addicted or challenged with behavioral or physical disabilities. I found the management to be difficult at times and disrespectful toward employees and clients on occasion. The culture of the store was awesome, and got to know a lot of people. I did have good fun while working there. The hardest part of the job was low pay. Being a group that is there for helping people, I felt they could have done a better job taking care of their own.
Pros
morning and afternoon coffee break and half hour lunch
Cons
low pay
Great place!
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 December 2017
The salvation army is located in the heart of Ottawa. This shelter home gives many potentials to people in needs. Such as food or clothes, they have help at their needs.
Salvation Army cares about there employees'
Support Worker Social Worker for the Foid Bank (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC30 November 2017
The employer really show their compassion, patience, and training skills and listen to their employees. I enjoyed attending their Devotions before beginning to work. I see room for advancement from employee to a managerial position.
Pros
Hours are great work start
fun place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Confederation Park, SK24 November 2017
loved the atmosphere and the customers who regularly came in.I learned how to handle a difficult situation. I don't think there was anything hard about working there, just some of the people. The most enjoyable part was making friends with a few of my co-workers and customers.
Decent but poor management
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC23 November 2017
A typical day for me involved managing the cash register and arranging clothes. I enjoyed speaking with the clients and meeting different kinds of personalities. However, the management was quite poor, often putting the customer above protecting its own employees.
Volunteer Experience
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC14 November 2017
My typical day involved preparing foods and packaging and I learned a lot from other Volunteers while volunteering for Salvation Army.
We served food at a the same time everyday for a lot of people. The hardest part of the job was interacting with customers with bad temperaments. The most enjoyable part about this was giving back to the community and I love volunteering.
Great Place To Work
Camp At Home Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Ontario14 November 2017
A really fun environment where I made great connections and learned leadership skills.

Learning to manage situations and lead people was hard at times but very rewarding and exciting.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Salvation Army. Our community is ready to answer.

53.4K