The Salvation Army Employee Reviews

great people
Sorter/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ON28 March 2018
A great staff is provided at the Woodstock salvation army and the management is a fantastic group as well, very understanding when it comes to personal life
Prepare to show a lot of deference
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Smiths Falls, ON28 March 2018
This organization needs a complete overhaul and it needs to get with the times. It is full of dinosaurs in pre-retirement status who just want to get to the golden handshake.Those in positions of uniformed leadership do not encourage anyone to aim higher. Actually, if you show any promise of making a difference or trying to show a better way to do things OR standing up for what is WRONG, you are put into submission and gag-ordered, basically. The workplace culture is scared and continually trying to throw others under the proverbial bus as there is so much uncertainty and if you do not belong to the "church group" you will not be given the same advantages. This location hires family members so nepotism runs rampant and so does their gossip across the community. It is an extremely toxic environment and the best thing that could happen is the church itself close down and the stores become Corporate stores so that they are run more efficiently with a proper budget and proper tools to do the job RIGHT, without church group clique influence. Negative. Toxic. Poor Administration. Stuck in the Dark Ages. Run!
Pros
Good hours, Helping less fortunate, community spirit
Cons
Ethics, high turnover of leadership, lack of proper training and funding
Volunteer Experience
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Acton, ON19 March 2018
Volunteering with Salvation Army was a rewarding experience. It gave me a chance to give back to my community and make some friends. The job consisted of sorting and some computer work. The people were wonderful and I would recommend the experience to anyone thinking of volunteering.
Nice place to work
Store Associate (Current Employee) –  London, ON17 March 2018
A nice place to work where you learn the value of life as well as importance of other people. the people who work over there are rally nice ad supportive and they try to get the best out of you
Enjoyable and Fun
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, ON15 March 2018
I enjoy volunteering within the Salvation Army because it gives me confidence, gain new skills and i get to interact with people each day. Its not be very long ive been apart of the team or family if you will but i can say i take pride in what i do and knowing im appreciated.
Good experience, good management.
Kitchen supervisor and lunch planner (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 March 2018
Enjoyed working for a Christian based organization, because I have similar values, the management was very supportive and helpful in making sure all the necessary tools were available to allow me to be a success at my job. This includes, staffing, volunteers, equipment, food supplies, a good working kitchen, and the ability to service clients from my dietary perspective and using my skills to make sure all clients dietary needs we’re meant. Overall this was a great experience and a fulfilling opportunity.
Pros
Expanding my skills and abilities
Cons
Moving to a new location to far from job
You take the good with the bad
Residential Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC12 March 2018
The work is fulfilling and rewarding. It is nice to have a good union and the shop stewards are all great at representing the staff. The management is disorganized has a high turnover rate and there is no infrastructure for employee development.
Pros
Helping People
Cons
No room for growth
Adventurous and Life Changing
PROGRAM LEADER (Former Employee) –  Houston, BC7 March 2018
I got to work with children from babies to teenagers. Of course it was hard at times, but very rewarding at the end of the day, week, and summer. The job is hard but it is expected to be. Once you've worked at summer camp, especially camp mountainview, you won't regret it.
Pros
spiritually rewarding, learn a lot, grow as a person, the cons are worth it
Cons
long hours, very tiring
Thrift Store - Salvation Army
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 March 2018
I worked at Salvation Army for several years in various stores, in various positions.
I started out as a cashier and donation sorter and quickly worked my way up to a management position.
Pros
Having a great team to work with
Cons
n/a
Hostile Work Environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 March 2018
Very hostile customers and staff. Management didn't pay me what we agreed upon and denied I was owed money. I was accused of stealing and the workplace was filthy(dust and animal droppings).
Best Place I've worked
Communications Officer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 February 2018
If there had been more opportunities for me to move up and grow i never would have left. I have wonderful memories of this job. I learned so much from so many exceptional people. As a charity salary was low, but I always felt like I made a difference and would trade the salary for this kind of work again.
Great experience and a great place to work
Residential Worker (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK27 February 2018
The people there were a pleasure to work with. Residents made for an interesting place to work. Management was very understanding and very respectful of employees.
Pros
everyday was a pleasure to come to work
Cons
Not really anything bad to say
It was a fun place to volunteer at and help people out
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK22 February 2018
I enjoyed helping people out during the Christmas holidays who couldn't afford gifts or food and it also helped me learn some social skills which helped when it came to talking to people
Ii attended a cooking class and it was really fun learning other recipes
Casual/Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON14 February 2018
Its a good place to volunteer, work. I learnt a lot from the organization. From attending to peoples needs, caring for them and showing love. I really do not see any difficulty in the job because its a normal day to day activity. I enjoyed the company of my co-volunteer and the supervisor is really nice.
Fundraising
Fundraiser Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ON13 February 2018
Overall very positive experience working with the public, explaining what, where and how all proceeds of funds for the charity will be distributed in the community. Very cheerful job with a spiritual touch, especially when times are more sensitive for some. The company was very flexible and made sure the employees were cared for, the job required at times little notice for shifts so availability is certainly demanded. The best part of the job i found was the intrigue, curiosity and excitement of children, teaching core values of helping one another in communities at such an early age.

This was seasonal contract work.
great orgnisation with great values
Intake worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 February 2018
great place and great organisation with lots of values , helping others is my passion and working with the salvation army did allow me to reach one of my goals by working and helping other people in need at the same time! mangment were great and its a great team to work with !!
family environment
residential counsellor (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON8 February 2018
I love working here! the clients and workers are so wonderful and it feels like a family. Management needs to work on their approach with frontline workers to fix the disconnect. Salary is low for the demand of the job. no room for advancement, but lots of group activities offered to build team spirit.
Pros
great clients
Cons
support for frontline staff is not always available
Low wage lots of expectations
Family Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ON7 February 2018
benefits are good but wage too low
rrsp contribution match
insurances fully paid by employee
co workers loving and caring
no room for job advancement
hey try your best
Cook (Current Employee) –  London, ON6 February 2018
great place to work staff is great i dont know what to say other than i really enjoy working their i just need more hours to provide for my family they are really trying to help out the community
Pros
helping others
Cons
some staff are moody
Great
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 February 2018
I had a lot of fun helping out at christmas with the gift. It was a great experience to help the community and families. I would definitely do it again.s

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Salvation Army. Our community is ready to answer.

53.5K