The Salvation Army

3.2Pay & benefits

Found 362 reviews matching the searchSee all 15,070 reviews
armydonationvolunteerthriftkettlesortinghomelesscommunity

Donation intake

Descent work, somewhat boring and some customers suck. People have no idea what to donate, and get very annoyed when you tell they can't donate certain things

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere

Cons

No room for growth

No advancement but perfect for easy work

The work is easy and rarely will you be stressed unless customers at your location are bad. The only bad part is that there are practically no opportunities for advancement. The sort of job where you work for a few years just to make some cash on the side or while you are young and starting out.

Insights into The Salvation Army

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging

Worst year of my life

Difficult to work with and rude management. I have not set foot back in that store since I left, apparently I've been offered my job back twice. Abuse of power to the extreme from the assistant manager, everything is so haphazard and there is no semblance of a work life balance with 8 and a half hour shifts 5 days a week, no overtime pay. Exhausting job, decent benefits, bad pay, TERRIBLY run.

Depends on Management

This has the potential to be a great job. As long as you're happy being a bottom feeder, there's very little room to move up. In the end it all depends on the manager you get. I worked in Newmarket and the management was abysmal. It was the difference of being management's favourite person one day, and most hated the next. Favoritism was HEAVY in depending who got hours and who didn't based on arbitrary factors. There's a reason Salvation Army Newmarket is always "urgently hiring". In my 8 months there, 2 people were fired and 4 quit. One person even warned me about the environment in my first week. If you do get hired, God speed.

Cons

Mangement

Fulfillment and spiritual growth

I love helping people and seeing the smiles on their faces. The exposure to ministry has made my relationship with God even better. My fulfillment comes from more than just money and things.

Not bad

Nothing special, just a regular job. Like in any other job, there are good and bad managers and co-workers. Overall, great for summer students who want to gain experience and learn new skills.

Pros

Delicious food

Salvation Army

Great place to volunteer in theory, lots to learn and experience. A little chaotic. Doing what you can to help people of the community who need it most is a very important position to hold, though hopefully more can be done in the future for those without a home, especially in winter months

Fun place to work

Overall experience was very good. Great working environment with a good team. Various duties throughout your shift really makes the day pas quickly. Good benefits for the RRSP and employer match. Nice discolor employees and family.

Fast paced

If you are looking for somewhere always busy with lots of work. Hard work, get good shows or your back and feet will hurt (will hurt anyways but less) You end up doing more work than you get paid for.

Fun and easy going

I look forward to coming to work everyday. My work gives me meaning and purpose in life. My supervisors are great people with heart of gold. I absolutely love TSA and the work we do in our community.

Pros

People, work environment and mission

Cons

Wages

Great place to work very laid back.

A great place to work. It feels like a family everyone works together as a team. It's great being able to give back to the community and helping those in need.

I was Kettle Coordinator and set up all Christmas Kettles at various locations and met a lot of very wonderful people through their volunteering

I would arrive and distribute Christmas Kettles then chauffeur clients to their destinations in sitting w the Kettle and collecting donations. The volunteers where very wonderful. Always go out of their way to help out if others didn't show. It was a very moving experience

Pros

You were definitely your own boss. I coordinated everything from volunteers, to social media; to sharing numbers at end of evening

Cons

It's about being surrounded by people who love you for who you are...not what you have

Easy, straightforward work.

My experience at the distribution center was above average overall. However, the company needs to make people of all backgrounds and gender identities feel welcome.

Pros

Free snacks, easy work.

Cons

Company not progressive, Not safe space for LBGTQ+ people

Family oriented

Busy, busy, busyIf you like to learn than this is the place to be. Amazing stepping stone job driven with family values, respect and support in all the ways a company should.

Cons

Contract

nice place to work, loving people.

This company has a lot of lovely people, who arent just in it for the job, they also want to make a difference in the community. Working with these kinds of people helped make me better and they also tried to help me grow personally as well as through my work life.

Pros

free lunches. flexible hours awesome people

Cons

flexible hours sometimes managers don't have the answers

Sets you up for various experiences

This was a great job to have as it opens doors to learn different experience as well as learn the resources offered within York region. Was able to gain/advance several social work, crisis and problem solving skills

Pros

Free lunches

Cons

Overall, it was a good place to work at. Management can be stressful though.

It was a good place to work at. You’re lucky if you get good management. It is a dusty environment which I’m sure you are aware of that. They can make you work for long hours but thankfully they pay for overtime.

Pros

Flexible

Poor communication

Their is bias in this work place. You work hard but they don't appreciate you if they don't like you. They make fabricated story just to fired you in work.

Cons

Risky

Cheap

Seems to think they can run a business on volunteers only. Imagine preaching about "helping people out of poverty" yet dishing out starvation wages. Hard work unsurprisingly not rewarded. All around a hypocritical company.

Corporate Merger killed morale

Merger of 2 Divisions has created many issues. Layers upon layers of management, not enough workers. Significant raises for management, none for the front- lines. Poor communication. Hierarchical - do what I say, don’t ask why - none of your business. Frantic pace, long hours. Policies change without notice and when (if) policy is circulated, it’s vague and needs multiple revisions. Essential information to do the job is frequently delayed for months. You’re basically on your own. Last minute demands. No time to think.

Pros

Non-management staff is great. Couldn’t ask for better.

Cons

High stress, too much work, toxic environment.

Covid 19

La Covid a scrapper l'ambiance de travail et tout ce qui ci attache,faut je quitte pus capable de travailler dans les nouvelles conditions.

Pros

Article pas cher

Cons

Patron pas fiable

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement