The Salvation Army

Clear
3.2Pay & benefits

Found 349 reviews matching the searchSee all 14,533 reviews

Fantastic staff

Other staff are great and dedicated. Long hours but satisfying work with challenging clients allowing them to grow and achieve their goals and aspirations.

Everyone is super nice and welcoming.

Best place to start as a social service worker! The interview went so smoothly and when your stuck on a question they reword the question. The staff train you on the job no online classes and great hands on experience.

Pros

You can leave the site for 30 min and the breaks are paid and paid lunch

Cons

Long hours typically 12 hour shifts.

Frriendly team

Feel like working at home . Great team who Help each other . Easy job . Perfect duty time . Delivery is to other branches of salvation army which makes Delivery more easy .

Pros

Perfect place to work

Not worth your time or consideration.

Trust me. Straight up garbage fire. You are just a number. It will break your heart. They are so desperate for employees that they hire people with no experience. You are expected to work long hours. Many staff members are on stress leave. Management does everything to not do their job or help out staff.

Pros

Clients

Cons

Everything else.

Fun work place in the beginning!

Booth has changed management so many times with so many different working styles, found it to be stressful, inconsistent, slave drivers, no work life balance.

Pros

Free lunches only during training sessions internally.

Cons

Management now very opinionated and don’t listen to staff for input regarding program.

Great place to work, lot's of fun..

I love working the Kettles every year. I love wearing the different Christmas outfits and making people smile. People love to hear especially Christmas carols.

Pros

Making people smile

Cons

Working in lousy weather

You'll learn a lot

A great place to get a start in homelessness services. Lots of training provided, and you gain experience quickly, so it can be a great stepping stone. Management is at times very supportive, and at other times you really have to advocate for yourself if you feel uncomfortable or unsafe. Overall they really care about people.

Pros

Lots of paid training if you want it, one free meal per shift.

Cons

Not a lot of room to move up within the company.

Stressful due to poor management

After talking to other employees from other locations ..., we all feel the same... the organization is not at all what we thought it was...poisonous work environment best describes it...

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

Not enough hours and poor pay

Environnement anxiogène et stressant

Milieu essentiellement occupe par des haïtiens, les employeurs (direction et supervision ) haïtiens eux même souhaite engager surtout des personnes issus de la même culture. Les horaires de travail ne sont pas clairs. Les employeurs cherchent a vous donner des heures de travail supplémentaires sans être payes.

Pros

Repas gratuit mais périmé

Cons

pause de 30 min pour manger, rythme extrêmement exténuant

Productive workplace with very friendly co workers!

Working at The Salvation Army I was always productive and had something to do to keep me on my feet. The staff was so kind and accepting of me. They did a really good job at making me feel comfortable on my first day no matter how anxious I got and my manager was so sweet and understanding my experience was just beyond amazing and I really wish I could’ve continued to work there.

Pros

Positive work environment with very kind co workers

Cons

Not much time to sit down throughout the day

Jobs at The Salvation Army

See more jobs

Fun place to work and you meet interesting personality.

The Salvation Army is a great organization. I know this because, I witness the wonderful smile in people face when they come to pick up Charismas Hamper.

Pros

lean something new

Cons

Limitation

Could use improvenent

For an organization with so many rules, processes, protocols and money ...they somehow lack in them.The overall experience was positive - leadership to clientelle alike - however, the organization has fallen behind where it should be growing in leaps and bounds.

Pros

An excellent platform from which to work if helping others is your forte

Cons

Things won't change if you don't change them

Management not great

People in top tier, like Directors have been around for many years and have set biases and behaviour difficult to change. For some it is the only company they have worked for, ever. Their lack of drive has set the tone for the culture which is mostly frustrating for ambitious millennials and Gen X. It is not a company where you can grow or bring about change to processes or people behaviours. Either adapt to their slow, unproductive, incompetent and slacking-off, never changing culture or move.

Pros

From the outside, the grass looks greener

Cons

From the inside, it is rotten

Great place to work if you are new to the field and looking a pathway to other social services.

Upper management does not care about frontline workers. There is no union at this location and management does not like staff talking about union. If you do, you are scrutinize or given the cold shoulder. Also the staffing environment is very toxic. Some staff display discrimination towards others and do a lot of gossiping.

Pros

Connect with community members and residents we serve

Cons

Long hours, cheap wage

Poor management

They have bed bugs and the management do not care. They are there just to get their salary and do not solve any problems. If you don't agree with their decisions they will make sure to make your life miserable (so you quit or they will find something to fire you).

Pros

Cons

Shift work, bully management

Do not work here

Worst employer I have ever had. Pay is low, training and management is poor. People are divisive and cruel at times. Workers hardly care for those they serve while the people that do care are the officers charged with running locations. These people are elitist. There is a hierarchy that cannot be touched, as officers are above reproach. Only their supervisors can give them any guidance or correction and they are hardly ever in touch with these people.If you want to do good, there are plenty of better agencies that pay better and have a better structure.

Pros

helping those in need

Cons

long hours - expected volunteer hours, poor management, poor leadership, poor emphasis on workers and staff, divisive crew members and congregation. Fundamentally flawed in many ways

Poor pkace to work

While on the surface they appear to be genuine but in reality they are more concerned about money than people. While they claim to be a Christian organization the actions and attitude do not reflect that in any way. Placing non Christians in positions where they are having to pretend to have a faith is very troubling.

Pros

Non

Cons

Long hours no appreciation

You need to have strong morals, and stick to them, or find another job.

Not a place you want to make a career out of. As a learning curve and to gain experience. Short term recommended. The politics will drive you crazy...If it's misery 24 7 you are looking for, it's day and night...

Ambiente di lavoro tranquillo

attenzione diretta al pubblico in quanto ha la gestione dell azienda totalmente di accordo alle loro politiche, la parte più difficile e quando non riesci a trovare quello che il cliente necessita, il meglio d questo lavoro e la gratitudine del cliente

Pros

ambiente di lavoro, lavoro in squadra ..

Cons

non ho trovato

Learning opportunity for recently graduated in SSW/SW

It is an opportunity to entry the company and learn the organization dynamics. My goal is to gain experience and apply as an internal candidate to other positions.

Pros

Hours guaranteed, stable

Cons

aggressive clients

My work experience at Salvation Army.

Great work culture. I have a good experience working at Salvation army , but I regret that my work at Salvation Army had to end due to convid 19 crisis. Salvation Army is a charitable organization that help the need of the under privilege . Everyday at my work place with Salvation army I got to put a smile to someone face which gives me great satisfaction..

6.2K