The Salvation Army

Clear
3.2Pay & benefits

Found 208 reviews matching the searchSee all 15,070 reviews
armydonationvolunteerthriftkettlesortinghomelesscommunity

High expectations for hygiene, unfair pay to supply

Salvation Army gives people opportunities to work. However, the salary rate is very low, especially supply staff do not get pay $2 PWE for all the hours which they supposed to get, even though staff with children ( ratios). Not treating fairly. No opportunity to get full time position.

Pros

Working hard

Cons

PWE is not paying to staff according to hours working with children.

Worst year of my life

Difficult to work with and rude management. I have not set foot back in that store since I left, apparently I've been offered my job back twice. Abuse of power to the extreme from the assistant manager, everything is so haphazard and there is no semblance of a work life balance with 8 and a half hour shifts 5 days a week, no overtime pay. Exhausting job, decent benefits, bad pay, TERRIBLY run.

Insights into The Salvation Army

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging

It's good r

It good to help people and help the homeless and feed the hungry and good to meet people good working hours you can volunteers or get paid. It an good condition pick your own hr

Pros

Free lunch

Cons

Work long hr

I enjoyed my job and co workers. Management tho was to micromanaged

I enjoyed my tasks. Hours were decent except for getting called in every day off. I felt underappreciated by the manager despite living alot at work. Enjoyable co workers tho and the clients were resepectful for most part.

Ok place to work.

It's a good atmosphere as in good people to work with. The job tasks are pretty easy. The benefits are great and it's unionized. The management however is very unorganized.

Fast Paced and Adrenaline Loaded Environment, Not Easy but Still my Favourite

Favourite job ever, despite the iffy work culture it was all worth it. Worked in Withdrawal Management Centre in London, ON. Days are quirky and never the same twice, adrenaline loaded and can be quite stressful but some like it that way. Pay is decent, due to staffing shortage at the time and as it was unionized overtime pay was ridiculous, too good to be true. I'm not sure how they could afford all the overtime pay but it sure was nice. Always new and unusual or challenging situations when working with clients, best part of the job was having fun with coworker on long nightshifts and working with clients. The Shiftwork was hard at times. Had to take a LOA at one point and management was extremely supportive at the time. Downside was sone staff members were very unkind to clients and not trauma informed, due to some union rules some staff were kept on far longer than they should have been.

Awesome place to work for

The Manager is A1 Edmonton distribution center , a manager with integrity and he is very honest ,cares about his employees. I wish I would have that 10 years ago. I am honored to work for the Salvation Army. I hope to be there until I'm no longer able to work or retired .

Pros

I am honored . Benefits, rrsp contribution. free pizza lunch first week . A1 company with integrity and honesty.

Cons

If anybody puts anything in cons they should give their head a shake there is none

Fun place to work

Overall experience was very good. Great working environment with a good team. Various duties throughout your shift really makes the day pas quickly. Good benefits for the RRSP and employer match. Nice discolor employees and family.

okay, needed more

wages are not competative and the management was very toxic. Loved most of my co-workers though. It was very flexible which was extremely helpful especially because im a single mother.

I wouldn’t recommend working here at all they do not value their workers at all.

Not a good place to work at long term. Often times they would mistreat their employees and be extremely rude towards people over a simple humanly mistake.

Pros

-flexible hours

Cons

-manager would often cut shift and add shifts

Great hours but we do slave labour

If we got paid more than minimum wage I’d say all the work we do is worth it. But a lot is expected of us for minimum wage. Schedules kind of suck if you’re younger. They try to give you all closing shifts which isn’t really great and cohesive with having a life outside work. And depending on which location you end up at, you could really be dealing with a lot of sketchy things.

Help serve the community

I like cooking, I am a senior and I am treated with respect and appreciated. I have had health issues recently and management has done their best to accommodate me.

Pros

Free lunch, work alone

Cons

Pay could be higher

It's a good place to start a career but not much room for advancement

Low pay, heavy drama between coworkers, management is overworked, some homes are good others toxic.Overall it's an ok place to work if you work with the right people

Pros

Flexible scheduling and a good place to begin a career

Cons

Low pay and no room for advancement

Great people, weird culture

The culture is stuck in Victorian England and the Empire. There are brass bands and uniforms and fake army ranks. The top leadership is out of touch with reality.

Benefits

Cons

Low pay.

Hard labour with poor pay

Coworkers are nice and helpful, but the management team really stinks. The manager is incredibly condescending and likes to talk down to people, and doesn't help when we need it. They aren't very well liked by staff due to their poor attitude. Assistant manager and supervisor are very scatter brained and freak out at the slightest things. Theres literally one supervisor who is actually chill and doesn't stress out. Everyone tells you to do things how they want, so you're left confused on what to actually do. They still want you to reach quota even if they're understaffed, and it's basically impossible. The lounge is small and incredibly dirty. They will try to keep you longer than what your contract says. A typical big corporation that doesn't want to give raises and is stingy. The staff discount also used to be 50%, and now it's 30%. They expect you to know how to do each position in the store regardless of what you were hired for, and you don't get trained properly. Management doesn't care about mental health either, so if you are uncomfortable doing something, well too bad.

Pros

That one nice supervisor, helpful nice coworkers, decent store discount, rrsp, vacation pay

Cons

No job advancement, no raise, dirty lounge, poor management, hard labor, extreme temperature conditions, dealing with erratic customers

Overall, it was a good place to work at. Management can be stressful though.

It was a good place to work at. You’re lucky if you get good management. It is a dusty environment which I’m sure you are aware of that. They can make you work for long hours but thankfully they pay for overtime.

Pros

Flexible

Corporate Merger killed morale

Merger of 2 Divisions has created many issues. Layers upon layers of management, not enough workers. Significant raises for management, none for the front- lines. Poor communication. Hierarchical - do what I say, don’t ask why - none of your business. Frantic pace, long hours. Policies change without notice and when (if) policy is circulated, it’s vague and needs multiple revisions. Essential information to do the job is frequently delayed for months. You’re basically on your own. Last minute demands. No time to think.

Pros

Non-management staff is great. Couldn’t ask for better.

Cons

High stress, too much work, toxic environment.

Fun

It a good place just be understanding and helpful and try to be a flexible as possible they many convenient locations suck as malls Costco s and grocery store

Pros

Choice of location that works for u

Cons

Schedule mix up

Do not recommend

Did this job for 2 years until I burnt out. High staff turn over. VERY Poor management. No benefits for part time or casual workers. Pay is terrible. Also not a safe environment for guests or staff (high rate of incidence).

Pros

There were some cool staff but have all quit now

Uninspired work environment

This is a money hungry organization. Head office is a mess, full of people who think they are better than the store employees because they sit at a desk all day so don’t expect to receive any basic respect. Store management is haphazard and if you do any work beyond your express responsibilities it will become an expectation. Managers pull new rules out of thin air. The job is mindless and there are decent benefits for full time employees. You accumulate sick days but are penalized for using them.

Pros

Paid sick days/vacation

Cons

Poor management and work environment

Stressful due to poor management

After talking to other employees from other locations ..., we all feel the same... the organization is not at all what we thought it was...poisonous work environment best describes it...

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

Not enough hours and poor pay

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement