The Salvation Army

The Salvation Army Pay & benefits reviews

Clear
3.2Pay & benefits

Found 189 reviews matching the searchSee all 14,533 reviews

Stressful due to poor management

After talking to other employees from other locations ..., we all feel the same... the organization is not at all what we thought it was...poisonous work environment best describes it...

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

Not enough hours and poor pay

Uninspired work environment

This is a money hungry organization. Head office is a mess, full of people who think they are better than the store employees because they sit at a desk all day so don’t expect to receive any basic respect. Store management is haphazard and if you do any work beyond your express responsibilities it will become an expectation. Managers pull new rules out of thin air. The job is mindless and there are decent benefits for full time employees. You accumulate sick days but are penalized for using them.

Pros

Paid sick days/vacation

Cons

Poor management and work environment

Environnement anxiogène et stressant

Milieu essentiellement occupe par des haïtiens, les employeurs (direction et supervision ) haïtiens eux même souhaite engager surtout des personnes issus de la même culture. Les horaires de travail ne sont pas clairs. Les employeurs cherchent a vous donner des heures de travail supplémentaires sans être payes.

Pros

Repas gratuit mais périmé

Cons

pause de 30 min pour manger, rythme extrêmement exténuant

Did Christmas kettles. I was servicing a purpose.

Salvation Army is an excellent place to work both as a paid employee (Christmas kettles, they paying me helped me to make it through the Christmas holidays as I was struggling financially.) and as a volunteer in the North Shore playing the piano and serving food in the downtown eastside on the street and at Harbour Light as well.

Poor management

They have bed bugs and the management do not care. They are there just to get their salary and do not solve any problems. If you don't agree with their decisions they will make sure to make your life miserable (so you quit or they will find something to fire you).

Pros

Cons

Shift work, bully management

Very stressful but you meet a lot of interesting people.

Extremely high expectations for low wage. Time management an issue. No communication between management and staff. If you qualify, the benefits are good.

Kettle campaign and volunteer

Is a pretty good filler between jobs while not regularly working. And the regular staff are quite diverse and seem satisfied. The homeless are generally good but a few can cause problems.

Pros

Free food

Cons

Kinda nasty sometimes

Empty promises

no benefits under contract, no hope in advancing no matter how much blood, sweat and tears you put in. Management needs a remodeling. The clientele (homeless) were less stressful than the management.

Pros

clients

Cons

management

Most of the time it was workable but thge major problem was the lack of ontgrity of the management and employees.

You have to do your job ignoring the top management or they will tear you apart, lack of honesty and integrity is very evident. Hours are good and so is the benefits

Nice Place for Experience

Good place for experience, you will join the food bank to feed your family because of the wages. Most life concerns are strategically dealt with (hidden) but will manifest if you pay attention. Racism, Advancement, Opportunity, Value etc. they won't say NO, either YES. If you smart, you'll see it. Really good at hiding REAL issues. otherwise, a decent place to work. Just honest opinion really.

Pros

Great Experience

Cons

Do more for employees, pay a living wage at lease, cover 100% benefits, be more understanding, and take chance on qualified mix race employees in senior position

Jobs at The Salvation Army

See more jobs

Worst experience ever

During my interview they made it seem like it was a great place to work, didn't include any of the security issues within the company. They overwork all Frontline staff, they undermine, very critical and never listen to staff about dangerous situations. Favoritism, and gossip between higher up is an ongoing problem, if they do not like you watch your back, they will write you up for the most petty things and never allow you to grow within the company. Hands down the worst company I have ever worked for!

Pros

Cons

Never allowed to sit, breaks never happen, stressful, management is uneducated, too much gossip, wage is ridiculously low for the workload, always criticized but never praised of good things

Good first job

It’s good for a student or newcomer in Canada but it only pays minimum wage which is less than fair for the amount of pressure placed on you and the work required of you. There’s a lot of physical work involved and sometimes you won’t be allowed to take breaks. Very toxic work environment where everyone gossips about the next person.

Pros

RRSP match

Cons

Toxic environment

While management was poor, the work itself was really great!!

I enjoyed working for the Salvation Army because I believe in their mission statement: to provide for those who cannot provide for themselves in order to show the Love of God. A typical day at work included a total cleaning of the dining, bathroom, hallways and dishwashing area. As well at taking out the garbage and doing compost, making tea and helping the servers, organizing donations, and turning stock over. Management was alright... I have to admit though that the safety was lacking for us employees and the communication from upper management was poor. As well as this, i was locked in the freezer for over an hour because they did not fix it for 8 years. In spite of this, I still hold this job as one of my favorites because i just love the people I worked with and for, the homeless are a wonderful and wise group of people. That, and being able to exercise Love and Empathy on a regular basis made me a happy person.

Pros

Working for the disadvantaged, sense of purpose, sometimes donations werent suitable and so we were allowed to pick something.

Cons

Unpaid and frequent overtime, no raise in 4 years, locked in freezer (safety was lacking.)

Amazing place to work, if you're looking for part-time hours

It was crazy, fun, exciting, nerve wracking, and relaxing all at the same time! Some of the most genuine, loving people on earth work there, and I loved every second of it. I would recommend having another job working here however, as the pay was decent, and I found myself needing extra hours more and more. That could have just been me though.

Pros

Peaceful, accepting work environment.

Cons

Short Hours (6-4)

Productive and steady phase

The workload is steady and a friendly environment for new workers to begin with. A secured place to work because of the benefits. depending on what department you are working, you probably will enjoy the workplace culture. Opportunity is always open.

Pros

Free coffee

Fun workplace

Everyone that works there was very nice. Everyone helped each other out. Flexible hours. You do what job is needed. I learned that helping other people out felt very good.

Warehouse worker and driver

I have experience in warehouse working environment and delivery (clean driver abstract). Hard working and serious. I am available to work full time. I am flexible for shifts.

Great place for students.

Easy job if you like kids. Good environnement with low stress. May have to do some prep for classes. No payment, all volunteer work. Only for about half an hour every Sunday.

Pros

Working with kids

Cons

No pay, all volunteer work

fun work space

volunteering at salvation army is very interesting, I get to package food for the food bank and distributing it to people is interesting, I am happy I was able to put a smile on people's face.

Pros

free lunch

Cons

short hour

nice place to work

team spirit and support, nice to work there,need a full time hours employment, after working five years, need good work benefits to part time workers

Helping the most vulnerable and marginalized in our community.

Decent work/life balance. Communication needs major improvement. Quality benefits package. Operates old school - too bureaucratic. No loyalty to lay staff.

6.2K