The Salvation Army

Canada1,419 reviews

Clear

Found 397 reviews matching the searchSee all 15,071 reviews
armydonationvolunteerthriftkettlesortinghomelesscommunity

Work isn't too demanding except when there aren't enough employees.

Your experience of this place will completely depend on the how good the management is. Coworkers come and go and you're going to have to deal with people same way you'd deal with at any other retail store.

Pros

Flexible scheduling

Cons

Lack of planning from management

Belkin House

I used to work at Belkin House as a shelter worker. It was a good start to build experience, but nothing more. The shelter manager who is now in charge is not doing a good job as a leader. Too many times, double staff shifts are not covered by manager. I found myself working alone with aggressive and sometimes violent clients. For the amount of work I did, Belkin House pay really low. Staff is also toxic. Coworkers seem to be busy gossiping and backstabbing each other. Not a supportive environment. Lastly, management provide does not any reference regardless if you are a good employee and duration of employment.

Pros

Experience

Cons

Management, coworkers, low pay, and toxic coworkers

Insights into The Salvation Army

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging

Productive and Fun Workplace

I love clothing and the organization's mission and vision. The management is very considerate and my co-workers are nice and fun to work with. The only downside as a new store associate is them letting you work outright the cash register without enough training and I actually end doing more stuff than the regular employees because they let you do everything so there's no proper segregation of duties.

Pros

Fun and nice co-workers

Cons

segregation of duties

Worst year of my life

Difficult to work with and rude management. I have not set foot back in that store since I left, apparently I've been offered my job back twice. Abuse of power to the extreme from the assistant manager, everything is so haphazard and there is no semblance of a work life balance with 8 and a half hour shifts 5 days a week, no overtime pay. Exhausting job, decent benefits, bad pay, TERRIBLY run.

Rewarding entry level work

The Salvation Army is great entry level work for those seeking experience in the social services. You will be met with a mostly kind and welcoming atmosphere as long as you are respectful of the religious nature of the organization. Management is usually very supportive and understanding. Clients are also very diverse and great to work with. The only negatives is the pay is quite low and hours are usually part time. It's hard to make a living working there.

fun with the clients.

management need improvement and to treat everyone equally. They need to be flexible and make the environment stress free. l love my job there but the environment is toxic and hatred

Pros

individuals and some colleagues

Cons

toxic environment

Bad

ALot of disperpect,bullying and favoritism, unsafe forklift operation, no support from management or colleagues. Only positive is flexible vacation and days off.

Depends on Management

This has the potential to be a great job. As long as you're happy being a bottom feeder, there's very little room to move up. In the end it all depends on the manager you get. I worked in Newmarket and the management was abysmal. It was the difference of being management's favourite person one day, and most hated the next. Favoritism was HEAVY in depending who got hours and who didn't based on arbitrary factors. There's a reason Salvation Army Newmarket is always "urgently hiring". In my 8 months there, 2 people were fired and 4 quit. One person even warned me about the environment in my first week. If you do get hired, God speed.

Cons

Mangement

Ok place to work.

It's a good atmosphere as in good people to work with. The job tasks are pretty easy. The benefits are great and it's unionized. The management however is very unorganized.

Fast Paced and Adrenaline Loaded Environment, Not Easy but Still my Favourite

Favourite job ever, despite the iffy work culture it was all worth it. Worked in Withdrawal Management Centre in London, ON. Days are quirky and never the same twice, adrenaline loaded and can be quite stressful but some like it that way. Pay is decent, due to staffing shortage at the time and as it was unionized overtime pay was ridiculous, too good to be true. I'm not sure how they could afford all the overtime pay but it sure was nice. Always new and unusual or challenging situations when working with clients, best part of the job was having fun with coworker on long nightshifts and working with clients. The Shiftwork was hard at times. Had to take a LOA at one point and management was extremely supportive at the time. Downside was sone staff members were very unkind to clients and not trauma informed, due to some union rules some staff were kept on far longer than they should have been.

Happy place to work.

Never have I ever worked in such a great company. The management is great and helpful. Less work stress and you just need to finish the given target you are assigned. Long break and stress free environment. Moreover, the other staff members are friendly and supportive. You will definitely love working here.

Lack of opportunities, stressful and competitive atmosphere

Management has poor understanding and lack of attention to the day to day stressors and competing demands faced by front line staff. Decisions are made in haste and with a ruthless disdain for hardworking, qualified and loyal staff. A critical, competitive atmosphere of favouritism and secrecy breeds mistrust in this shady organization. Departmental closures resulting in demotions and layoffs are a regular occurrence. Expectations are for staff to be on call and available for last minute surprises to compensate for staff shortages due to the inflated number of staff on leave.

Pros

Union is a great sounding board but not able to address systemic and cultural issues

Cons

Lack of support, team building and trust. Few advancement opportunities

Just another place to work

Low pay for the work you do after many years with the company. Management don’t recognize the hard work one does to execute the daily business. Make you feel like you have to walk on eggshells while at work.

Not great, high burn out

Front line staff are usually great, but management is often terrible. Lack of support, lots of guilting, very little pay. Revolving door or people, they burn up employees.

pretty good but could be better

Would have been better if they had hired enough people and paid their employees so that the ones working weren't stretched thin. Management refused to deal with or fire a coworker who was a bully and a bunch of people quit. Otherwise, an overall good place to work, I did enjoy it for the most part. Work itself was interesting and meaningful.

Pros

good hours

Cons

low pay, often not on time

Stressful work environment

Favouritism is their policy. If the boss likes you, you are the best even if you do your day-to-day tasks. The finance team is not cooperative and the high management doesn't care about people. They pay well but I think they need a deep change in their management mindset and managers.I wonder if they didn't notice the high turnover rate which cost them money but who cares.

Pros

Fair Salaries

Cons

Horrible business environment

okay, needed more

wages are not competative and the management was very toxic. Loved most of my co-workers though. It was very flexible which was extremely helpful especially because im a single mother.

Anyone who isn't management, isn't important.

*if you upset managment in any way, you will be gone, don't question, just do it.* you pay union dues to a union that ignores you* management treats you like you are one of the clients that access the services, not as a team member*good people to work with for the most part, kind of a high school, cliquey atmosphere*not nearly enough pay for the work involved*huge communication disconnect between housekeeping staff and managment (you are a non-entity if you aren't managment)

I wouldn’t recommend working here at all they do not value their workers at all.

Not a good place to work at long term. Often times they would mistreat their employees and be extremely rude towards people over a simple humanly mistake.

Pros

-flexible hours

Cons

-manager would often cut shift and add shifts

Its fine.

Don't expect much respect from upper management but you can leave the job at the door when you go home. No way to advance if you dont agree with all their religious beliefs and if you dont attend BoothU. My direct supervisor was awesome and not church affiliated, but I would not say the same for church affiliated leaders.

Huge workload along with good support from management and co workers

The job is so busy with huge responsibilities. Management is quite understanding and co workers are supporting you most of the times. I would recommend this job to fully dedicated nurses.

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement