The Salvation Army

Clear
3.2Job security & advancement

Found 262 reviews matching the searchSee all 14,533 reviews

You'll learn a lot

A great place to get a start in homelessness services. Lots of training provided, and you gain experience quickly, so it can be a great stepping stone. Management is at times very supportive, and at other times you really have to advocate for yourself if you feel uncomfortable or unsafe. Overall they really care about people.

Pros

Lots of paid training if you want it, one free meal per shift.

Cons

Not a lot of room to move up within the company.

Inaccurate job description.

Do not work for the Salvation Army. Very poor management, lack of opportunity, petty supervisor, negative work culture, terrible pay. No integrity. I was offered the job based on a project I was contracted to do, only to be told I was never hired for that reason. Manager does not know how to manage.

Pros

Perfect if you don’t want to think!

Cons

Terrible, petty supervisor.

Could use improvenent

For an organization with so many rules, processes, protocols and money ...they somehow lack in them.The overall experience was positive - leadership to clientelle alike - however, the organization has fallen behind where it should be growing in leaps and bounds.

Pros

An excellent platform from which to work if helping others is your forte

Cons

Things won't change if you don't change them

Layed back/responsible casual

Salvation Army is a great start off as a first job because of the multiple tasks you will be asked to do and or participate in. There is never a day when there is nothing to do because of the non stop shipments of donations. I am someone speaking from experience and loved it as one of my jobs. I would highly recommend this job to high school students because it looks great on your resume.

Poor workplace environment

Management is forever giving second chances to those not showing up for work or disregarding union rules. People always going off on stress leave. Turnover is high so no one gets to know each other. The population they serve have no consistency. Ask yourself why positions are always being posted... a good place to start, but not to stay.

Pros

You’ll never get fired

Cons

You’ll never have a social life or decent pay

Nice Place for Experience

Good place for experience, you will join the food bank to feed your family because of the wages. Most life concerns are strategically dealt with (hidden) but will manifest if you pay attention. Racism, Advancement, Opportunity, Value etc. they won't say NO, either YES. If you smart, you'll see it. Really good at hiding REAL issues. otherwise, a decent place to work. Just honest opinion really.

Pros

Great Experience

Cons

Do more for employees, pay a living wage at lease, cover 100% benefits, be more understanding, and take chance on qualified mix race employees in senior position

Worst experience ever

During my interview they made it seem like it was a great place to work, didn't include any of the security issues within the company. They overwork all Frontline staff, they undermine, very critical and never listen to staff about dangerous situations. Favoritism, and gossip between higher up is an ongoing problem, if they do not like you watch your back, they will write you up for the most petty things and never allow you to grow within the company. Hands down the worst company I have ever worked for!

Pros

Cons

Never allowed to sit, breaks never happen, stressful, management is uneducated, too much gossip, wage is ridiculously low for the workload, always criticized but never praised of good things

You need to have strong morals, and stick to them, or find another job.

Not a place you want to make a career out of. As a learning curve and to gain experience. Short term recommended. The politics will drive you crazy...If it's misery 24 7 you are looking for, it's day and night...

Learning opportunity for recently graduated in SSW/SW

It is an opportunity to entry the company and learn the organization dynamics. My goal is to gain experience and apply as an internal candidate to other positions.

Pros

Hours guaranteed, stable

Cons

aggressive clients

While management was poor, the work itself was really great!!

I enjoyed working for the Salvation Army because I believe in their mission statement: to provide for those who cannot provide for themselves in order to show the Love of God. A typical day at work included a total cleaning of the dining, bathroom, hallways and dishwashing area. As well at taking out the garbage and doing compost, making tea and helping the servers, organizing donations, and turning stock over. Management was alright... I have to admit though that the safety was lacking for us employees and the communication from upper management was poor. As well as this, i was locked in the freezer for over an hour because they did not fix it for 8 years. In spite of this, I still hold this job as one of my favorites because i just love the people I worked with and for, the homeless are a wonderful and wise group of people. That, and being able to exercise Love and Empathy on a regular basis made me a happy person.

Pros

Working for the disadvantaged, sense of purpose, sometimes donations werent suitable and so we were allowed to pick something.

Cons

Unpaid and frequent overtime, no raise in 4 years, locked in freezer (safety was lacking.)

Jobs at The Salvation Army

See more jobs

bullied out of my job

working for the SArmy can be a wonderful and awesome thing. Its ministry and employment combined! However, leadership changes in the Army quickly and when it does there is no job security with the in coming leadership. If they at all perceive you as a threat it wont be long before they either find a reason to let you go or make your time working impossible to cope with. basically, they can bully you out of a job and so you quit. This makes me really sad that I'm writing this because it should not be like this. l loved my job.

Pros

Ministry and employment

Cons

insecure people in leadership

Supportive

In my position I spent much of my time on a one to one basis and working with other groups. as well as trying to find alternatives for the offender. It is a patient position.

Amazing management team, very appreciative of employees time and efforts.

Highly recommended, great environment to be creative. The availability of fresh vegetables, dairy products, meats, and fruit was truly a pleasure....and the appreciation of extra effort from management was a very positive aspect.

Pros

Management is extremely supportive and open to suggestions for improvement.

Cons

Very strong union presence...promotion was / could be difficult.

Good place to start

management is good however lots of politics involved in who become managers and one Director moves all the pieces around. Work environment and infrastructure is run down operating from within various old buildings. Work life balance is good and workforce unionized. Although union doesn't do anything for us

Pros

Work life balance

Cons

no advancement, poor staff morale from working in an old building and cobstant construction around us

It was good

It was fine and the overall experience there was very accepting. I would recommend that a friend go there and volunteer for the compulsory 40 hours. It was good

Helping the most vulnerable and marginalized in our community.

Decent work/life balance. Communication needs major improvement. Quality benefits package. Operates old school - too bureaucratic. No loyalty to lay staff.

Intake/Residential Worker

Very friendly environment. Management is there when you need them. Equal opportunity. It’s a great place to gain valuable experience in mental health and addiction. Learning the program is pretty easy, but you need to know how to multi task in this position. Time goes fast and there is always someone there to help if you need it.

Worked for wonderful people

I was only ever greeted with smiles from all support staff. Any questions or concerns were immediately addressed. Excellent organization. Very accomodating in regards to locations and open to additional suggestions.

Great place to work and volunteer

Enjoyed the interaction with the customers. Sorting was educational and rewarding. Never know what you would come across. The staff are great! Always on hand if you needed help.

great honest work enviorment

Throughout my employment with the salvation army they are very willing and able to train you to be the best at your position. the managers are thoughtful caring people who will guide you on the right path.

productive work environtment, fun place to work

A typical day job as a fundraiser at salvation army is fun, easy and makes you meet a lot of people from the community and beyond. I live the management and the work culture is enjoyable I don't find any part hard

6.2K