The Salvation Army

3.2Job security & advancement

Found 282 reviews matching the searchSee all 15,070 reviews
armydonationvolunteerthriftkettlesortinghomelesscommunity

Really fun experience

I learned a lot with this job. The reasoning I wanted to do this is because I was at a one day thing like this before and I loved what they were doing, so I decided it was a good decision for me to work there and it was a good decision.

Broken Promises

Hired as a remote worker and was told that it's going to be on site on Day 1. Continued working alone with most of the coworkers working from home but did not get what I was promised eventually and found a better job. Thanks to SA

Insights into The Salvation Army

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging

No advancement but perfect for easy work

The work is easy and rarely will you be stressed unless customers at your location are bad. The only bad part is that there are practically no opportunities for advancement. The sort of job where you work for a few years just to make some cash on the side or while you are young and starting out.

Depends on Management

This has the potential to be a great job. As long as you're happy being a bottom feeder, there's very little room to move up. In the end it all depends on the manager you get. I worked in Newmarket and the management was abysmal. It was the difference of being management's favourite person one day, and most hated the next. Favoritism was HEAVY in depending who got hours and who didn't based on arbitrary factors. There's a reason Salvation Army Newmarket is always "urgently hiring". In my 8 months there, 2 people were fired and 4 quit. One person even warned me about the environment in my first week. If you do get hired, God speed.

Cons

Mangement

Awesome place to work for

The Manager is A1 Edmonton distribution center , a manager with integrity and he is very honest ,cares about his employees. I wish I would have that 10 years ago. I am honored to work for the Salvation Army. I hope to be there until I'm no longer able to work or retired .

Pros

I am honored . Benefits, rrsp contribution. free pizza lunch first week . A1 company with integrity and honesty.

Cons

If anybody puts anything in cons they should give their head a shake there is none

Salvation Army

Great place to volunteer in theory, lots to learn and experience. A little chaotic. Doing what you can to help people of the community who need it most is a very important position to hold, though hopefully more can be done in the future for those without a home, especially in winter months

Lack of opportunities, stressful and competitive atmosphere

Management has poor understanding and lack of attention to the day to day stressors and competing demands faced by front line staff. Decisions are made in haste and with a ruthless disdain for hardworking, qualified and loyal staff. A critical, competitive atmosphere of favouritism and secrecy breeds mistrust in this shady organization. Departmental closures resulting in demotions and layoffs are a regular occurrence. Expectations are for staff to be on call and available for last minute surprises to compensate for staff shortages due to the inflated number of staff on leave.

Pros

Union is a great sounding board but not able to address systemic and cultural issues

Cons

Lack of support, team building and trust. Few advancement opportunities

Loved my job and the people I worked with. Not everything was perfect but the good well outweighs the negative . The only real issue as a manager was the process of you reached the point where you didn’t think someone was a good fit for the job. And is this really a bad thing? Avoids unfair termination for sure.

Pros

Good work environment

Cons

Nothing really

It's a good place to start a career but not much room for advancement

Low pay, heavy drama between coworkers, management is overworked, some homes are good others toxic.Overall it's an ok place to work if you work with the right people

Pros

Flexible scheduling and a good place to begin a career

Cons

Low pay and no room for advancement

As staff we are always doing something. I call it my work out job. I get exercise while I work.

I like the retail division. Merchandising is my speciality. I started doing every job and management saw my strengths and let me refine my job description to our mutual benefit. I like to be busy.

Pros

Part time time hours as I am mature and content.

Cons

Steel toed workbooks are required.

Easy, straightforward work.

My experience at the distribution center was above average overall. However, the company needs to make people of all backgrounds and gender identities feel welcome.

Pros

Free snacks, easy work.

Cons

Company not progressive, Not safe space for LBGTQ+ people

Family oriented

Busy, busy, busyIf you like to learn than this is the place to be. Amazing stepping stone job driven with family values, respect and support in all the ways a company should.

Cons

Contract

Sets you up for various experiences

This was a great job to have as it opens doors to learn different experience as well as learn the resources offered within York region. Was able to gain/advance several social work, crisis and problem solving skills

Pros

Free lunches

Cons

Hard labour with poor pay

Coworkers are nice and helpful, but the management team really stinks. The manager is incredibly condescending and likes to talk down to people, and doesn't help when we need it. They aren't very well liked by staff due to their poor attitude. Assistant manager and supervisor are very scatter brained and freak out at the slightest things. Theres literally one supervisor who is actually chill and doesn't stress out. Everyone tells you to do things how they want, so you're left confused on what to actually do. They still want you to reach quota even if they're understaffed, and it's basically impossible. The lounge is small and incredibly dirty. They will try to keep you longer than what your contract says. A typical big corporation that doesn't want to give raises and is stingy. The staff discount also used to be 50%, and now it's 30%. They expect you to know how to do each position in the store regardless of what you were hired for, and you don't get trained properly. Management doesn't care about mental health either, so if you are uncomfortable doing something, well too bad.

Pros

That one nice supervisor, helpful nice coworkers, decent store discount, rrsp, vacation pay

Cons

No job advancement, no raise, dirty lounge, poor management, hard labor, extreme temperature conditions, dealing with erratic customers

great place to work

Great place to work. Great people to work with. Even It was a temporary position a enjoyed working there. If you want to contribute to your community this is an organisation to work

Poor communication

Their is bias in this work place. You work hard but they don't appreciate you if they don't like you. They make fabricated story just to fired you in work.

Cons

Risky

Corporate Merger killed morale

Merger of 2 Divisions has created many issues. Layers upon layers of management, not enough workers. Significant raises for management, none for the front- lines. Poor communication. Hierarchical - do what I say, don’t ask why - none of your business. Frantic pace, long hours. Policies change without notice and when (if) policy is circulated, it’s vague and needs multiple revisions. Essential information to do the job is frequently delayed for months. You’re basically on your own. Last minute demands. No time to think.

Pros

Non-management staff is great. Couldn’t ask for better.

Cons

High stress, too much work, toxic environment.

Do yourself a favor and search for employment elsewhere.

I was employed here for around two months and it was by far the absolute WORST job I’ve ever had. Firstly, management has their corporate goals set too high, especially for minimum wage, such as the ability to process 700 items per day (which is for solely one employee to achieve) for their BRIC department (such as housewares, electronics, toys etc.) and around 1,500 for cloth for the whole department. There is absolutely no opportunity for doing a variety of tasks, as said from management. You just do the same task and try to achieve their corporate goals day in, day out each day. Management doesn’t listen to employee’s complaints regarding ridiculous expectations regardless of seniority and you’re just another expendable number and replaceable at any time. When four people leave in just a matter of a week, there’s your cue to leave RIGHT THERE. There were people coming into work anxious about getting fired for not reaching those numbers set by the greedy goons of upper management. It was both physically and emotionally stressful for me, as well as my fellow coworkers’ lives. The whole irony of this whole experience is that TSA is supposed to be an organization devoted to making people’s lives better, when it made mine and others’ worse. It has definitely ruined the name and likeness of TSA and it’s mission for “Giving hope today”.

Pros

Coworkers, wages, perks

Cons

Corporate quotas, management, everything else

Inaccurate job description.

Do not work for the Salvation Army. Very poor management, lack of opportunity, petty supervisor, negative work culture, terrible pay. No integrity. I was offered the job based on a project I was contracted to do, only to be told I was never hired for that reason. Manager does not know how to manage.

Pros

Perfect if you don’t want to think!

Cons

Terrible, petty supervisor.

You'll learn a lot

A great place to get a start in homelessness services. Lots of training provided, and you gain experience quickly, so it can be a great stepping stone. Management is at times very supportive, and at other times you really have to advocate for yourself if you feel uncomfortable or unsafe. Overall they really care about people.

Pros

Lots of paid training if you want it, one free meal per shift.

Cons

Not a lot of room to move up within the company.

Could use improvenent

For an organization with so many rules, processes, protocols and money ...they somehow lack in them.The overall experience was positive - leadership to clientelle alike - however, the organization has fallen behind where it should be growing in leaps and bounds.

Pros

An excellent platform from which to work if helping others is your forte

Cons

Things won't change if you don't change them

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement