The Salvation Army

Clear

Found 337 reviews matching the searchSee all 15,070 reviews
armydonationvolunteerthriftkettlesortinghomelesscommunity

Fast Paced and Adrenaline Loaded Environment, Not Easy but Still my Favourite

Favourite job ever, despite the iffy work culture it was all worth it. Worked in Withdrawal Management Centre in London, ON. Days are quirky and never the same twice, adrenaline loaded and can be quite stressful but some like it that way. Pay is decent, due to staffing shortage at the time and as it was unionized overtime pay was ridiculous, too good to be true. I'm not sure how they could afford all the overtime pay but it sure was nice. Always new and unusual or challenging situations when working with clients, best part of the job was having fun with coworker on long nightshifts and working with clients. The Shiftwork was hard at times. Had to take a LOA at one point and management was extremely supportive at the time. Downside was sone staff members were very unkind to clients and not trauma informed, due to some union rules some staff were kept on far longer than they should have been.

Exactly What You Would Expect

Can be difficult dealing with customers during rush hours, since consumer base is so varied. But overall I learned a lot. Staff are always part of a team and will always be there to help when it gets difficult.

Insights into The Salvation Army

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging

I was on a contract and would love to have a position with Salvation Army, great working environment but would like to see a higher pay scale. The fellow employees were friendly and great too work with as a team player.

Happy place to work.

Never have I ever worked in such a great company. The management is great and helpful. Less work stress and you just need to finish the given target you are assigned. Long break and stress free environment. Moreover, the other staff members are friendly and supportive. You will definitely love working here.

Lack of opportunities, stressful and competitive atmosphere

Management has poor understanding and lack of attention to the day to day stressors and competing demands faced by front line staff. Decisions are made in haste and with a ruthless disdain for hardworking, qualified and loyal staff. A critical, competitive atmosphere of favouritism and secrecy breeds mistrust in this shady organization. Departmental closures resulting in demotions and layoffs are a regular occurrence. Expectations are for staff to be on call and available for last minute surprises to compensate for staff shortages due to the inflated number of staff on leave.

Pros

Union is a great sounding board but not able to address systemic and cultural issues

Cons

Lack of support, team building and trust. Few advancement opportunities

Huge workload along with good support from management and co workers

The job is so busy with huge responsibilities. Management is quite understanding and co workers are supporting you most of the times. I would recommend this job to fully dedicated nurses.

Fun place to work and also a good work balance system

This is a fun place to work with a lot of exciting things in place, the management are great and help to answer any questions that will keep your work going smoothly.

Bad place

You never get a schedule nor enough hours and dealing with some bad customer no management support only some staff have to be vacated . You don't know if u work until 9pm the day before

Good place to work.

Great staff and good working conditions. It's a friendly environment with lots of work to do. You meet wonderful people who give their best always. You feel happy working and helping people, the atmosphere is friendly.

Productive workplace with lots of opportunity to learn.

I enjoyed working and making the difference abs learning lots at the same time. Great culture and team environment. I enjoyed the collaboration and working as a team the most to achieve a common goal together.

Pros

Close to home.

Great place to work very laid back.

A great place to work. It feels like a family everyone works together as a team. It's great being able to give back to the community and helping those in need.

Great people, weird culture

The culture is stuck in Victorian England and the Empire. There are brass bands and uniforms and fake army ranks. The top leadership is out of touch with reality.

Benefits

Cons

Low pay.

great place to work

Great place to work. Great people to work with. Even It was a temporary position a enjoyed working there. If you want to contribute to your community this is an organisation to work

I enjoyed this role

I enjoyed working for salvation army. A good group of colleagues and a highly supportive environment from colleagues and management. I would work there again!

Pros

Support

Cons

Very rigid in some ways

Covid 19

La Covid a scrapper l'ambiance de travail et tout ce qui ci attache,faut je quitte pus capable de travailler dans les nouvelles conditions.

Pros

Article pas cher

Cons

Patron pas fiable

Do Not Work Here

Management is terrible no one listens and everyone gossips, not trained properly, work culture is toxic, hi level stress job with very little pay, not worth the headache

Pros

Cons

the pay and stress

For the most part, it was a good place to work

Most days, it was pretty fulfilling helping clients. There were days where it got pretty stressful. Management for the most part where there to support the staff.

Fantastic staff

Other staff are great and dedicated. Long hours but satisfying work with challenging clients allowing them to grow and achieve their goals and aspirations.

Inaccurate job description.

Do not work for the Salvation Army. Very poor management, lack of opportunity, petty supervisor, negative work culture, terrible pay. No integrity. I was offered the job based on a project I was contracted to do, only to be told I was never hired for that reason. Manager does not know how to manage.

Pros

Perfect if you don’t want to think!

Cons

Terrible, petty supervisor.

Great experience

I was very satisfied working at Salvation Army. Everyone was supportive, kind and helpful. I felt valued and respected as an employee and I would highly recommend anyone to work there.

A learning and growing environment.

The people are amazing to work with. Always a team effort. Learning n growing every day. I am honored to support, encourage, and inspire the most vulnerable in their journey of self discovery.

Pros

Being of service to others

Cons

Vicarious trauma and burn out.

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement