The Salvation Army

The Salvation Army Employee Reviews

Found 1,341 reviews matching the searchSee all 14,553 reviews

For the most part, it was a good place to work

Most days, it was pretty fulfilling helping clients. There were days where it got pretty stressful. Management for the most part where there to support the staff.

Do not recommend

Did this job for 2 years until I burnt out. High staff turn over. VERY Poor management. No benefits for part time or casual workers. Pay is terrible. Also not a safe environment for guests or staff (high rate of incidence).

Pros

There were some cool staff but have all quit now

Cons

No security guard in the business store hours

They management justified not to hire a security guard in the business store hours due the money is not enough to pay for.Moreover, they want you to. deal with homeless and people under drugs or alcohol, lift shopper without proper training which I was hired as CSR and not as a guard.

Pros

30 percent discount as an employee

Cons

stressful ambience when there were not guard in store hours

Do Not Work Here

Management is terrible no one listens and everyone gossips, not trained properly, work culture is toxic, hi level stress job with very little pay, not worth the headache

Pros

Cons

the pay and stress

Poor wages and terrible management

Jobs okay if your not looking to make much money and enjoy helping your community. You get a strong sense of community. Don't feel very supported by management or thq/dhq.

Pros

Helping the community

Cons

Burnout, draining, low wages

Fantastic staff

Other staff are great and dedicated. Long hours but satisfying work with challenging clients allowing them to grow and achieve their goals and aspirations.

Inaccurate job description.

Do not work for the Salvation Army. Very poor management, lack of opportunity, petty supervisor, negative work culture, terrible pay. No integrity. I was offered the job based on a project I was contracted to do, only to be told I was never hired for that reason. Manager does not know how to manage.

Pros

Perfect if you don’t want to think!

Cons

Terrible, petty supervisor.

Everyone is super nice and welcoming.

Best place to start as a social service worker! The interview went so smoothly and when your stuck on a question they reword the question. The staff train you on the job no online classes and great hands on experience.

Pros

You can leave the site for 30 min and the breaks are paid and paid lunch

Cons

Long hours typically 12 hour shifts.

Management appears to have no retail experience but expecting staff to understand the philosophy (prayer based retail).

Disorganized management team, vague and questionable orientation/start up experience, terrible communications, gossip and second hand information encouraged, far too grounded in magic thinking and prayer.

Pros

Punctual payments

Cons

Disorganized and poor communication from management

Frriendly team

Feel like working at home . Great team who Help each other . Easy job . Perfect duty time . Delivery is to other branches of salvation army which makes Delivery more easy .

Pros

Perfect place to work

Jobs at The Salvation Army

See more jobs

Not worth your time or consideration.

Trust me. Straight up garbage fire. You are just a number. It will break your heart. They are so desperate for employees that they hire people with no experience. You are expected to work long hours. Many staff members are on stress leave. Management does everything to not do their job or help out staff.

Pros

Clients

Cons

Everything else.

Fun work place in the beginning!

Booth has changed management so many times with so many different working styles, found it to be stressful, inconsistent, slave drivers, no work life balance.

Pros

Free lunches only during training sessions internally.

Cons

Management now very opinionated and don’t listen to staff for input regarding program.

Great experience

I was very satisfied working at Salvation Army. Everyone was supportive, kind and helpful. I felt valued and respected as an employee and I would highly recommend anyone to work there.

Great place to work, lot's of fun..

I love working the Kettles every year. I love wearing the different Christmas outfits and making people smile. People love to hear especially Christmas carols.

Pros

Making people smile

Cons

Working in lousy weather

Uninspired work environment

This is a money hungry organization. Head office is a mess, full of people who think they are better than the store employees because they sit at a desk all day so don’t expect to receive any basic respect. Store management is haphazard and if you do any work beyond your express responsibilities it will become an expectation. Managers pull new rules out of thin air. The job is mindless and there are decent benefits for full time employees. You accumulate sick days but are penalized for using them.

Pros

Paid sick days/vacation

Cons

Poor management and work environment

Learning opportunities

I always thought helping people is the most important part of my life. The Salvation Army has dedicated to help those who needs support mentally, physically and emotionally.

Pros

Life time experience

Cons

O.D issues

Team environment

I learned the various aspects of serving clients in a homeless shelter setting, the importance of confidentiality, counselling, and most especially, teamwork.

Pros

Free lunchs

Cons

Opportunity for growth based on Seniority

You'll learn a lot

A great place to get a start in homelessness services. Lots of training provided, and you gain experience quickly, so it can be a great stepping stone. Management is at times very supportive, and at other times you really have to advocate for yourself if you feel uncomfortable or unsafe. Overall they really care about people.

Pros

Lots of paid training if you want it, one free meal per shift.

Cons

Not a lot of room to move up within the company.

Thanks

Thanks again my experience was great there the staff were nice the intake were all different. I like how they take care of their community with warm arm warm meals and alway a helping hand

A learning and growing environment.

The people are amazing to work with. Always a team effort. Learning n growing every day. I am honored to support, encourage, and inspire the most vulnerable in their journey of self discovery.

Pros

Being of service to others

Cons

Vicarious trauma and burn out.

Stressful due to poor management

After talking to other employees from other locations ..., we all feel the same... the organization is not at all what we thought it was...poisonous work environment best describes it...

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

Not enough hours and poor pay

6.2K