The Salvation Army

The Salvation Army Employee Reviews for Support Worker

Found 43 reviews matching the searchSee all 14,529 reviews

For the most part, it was a good place to work

Most days, it was pretty fulfilling helping clients. There were days where it got pretty stressful. Management for the most part where there to support the staff.

Fast paced challenging enviroment

Generally a good place to work but comes with many difficult challenges. Fast paced, very busy, usually quiet jovial but has moments of high stress and the occasional tragedy.

Excellent place to build your experience

The Salvation Army Peel is a great place to work to build experience. Most of the management team are empathetic towards staff needs, except for a few latecomers wanting to prove their status. Like any other organization, they are very political when it comes to staff promotion. The benefits are relevant and salary meagre.

Pros

Benefit relevant

Cons

salary meagre

dealing with people

The Salvation Army Centre of Hope is a good place to start a career, finish off a career and the skills bring a lot on the table for those that are fortunate enough to receive it. There are many hot moments and when there is calm, it works out, people need to be trained to deal with these obstacles that are in the job. There is not much chance to advance, but at the same time, just look for another job when you get on your feet and there will be an opportunity, never give up, I appreciate all that the Salvation Army has done for me in my life; I am better off because they are there for people and I pray they continue in that path.

Pros

Parking is free and there are many opportunities to team build, getting to know some of the things that are going on in todays world is just amazing, seeing a client succeed for a substantial time, getting involved so that there are no delays, the help is there for whoever needs to access a service I am involved with

Cons

What really sucks is when you are helping someone and they screw up and wind up a statistic, long hours and sometimes the food they serve is not the best, but sometimes that is just me because I don't ike peppers at all!s

Great Staff

Good staff. I enjoyed working with a divers set of personalities. Clients were great to get to know and work with. Long over night shifts made it hard.

Pros

Free Lunches

Cons

Long Hours

Salvation Army cares about there employees'

The employer really show their compassion, patience, and training skills and listen to their employees. I enjoyed attending their Devotions before beginning to work. I see room for advancement from employee to a managerial position.

Pros

Hours are great work start

Active, and energetic setting.

My time at the Gateway was an great experience for me. I really enjoy working with people, being able to help, or just a person some one could confide in. We had a very "team" like presence in the building between all the staff(upper to bottom). A day at work would vary from the night( as, I worked both); for example, the drop in piece was mainly a day time event which was open to the public, so it could get very busy. Summarily, the night had different task to tend to: making sure of residents were accounted for, making sure SMIS was properly updated, and keeping an eye on transients who pop by for are washroom services or other basic amenities. On the other hand, I found it tough watching some of the residents fall on tough times and suffer set-backs. The job taught me patients(with people, and co-workers), perseverance( understanding there will be set-backs with residents), and persistence( got to keep a positive attitude, and reinforce the good things residents have going for them self's). Apparently, the three "P's".

Pros

free food, flexible schedule, good management

Cons

watching residents fail goals, watching residents loose their beds, watching residents relapse

Work and research

Grace Mansion is an awesome place to work with ample time to do research. The work is especially focus on the resident and sometime to the neglect of the staff.

Pros

ample free time

Cons

long sitting

rather grim but also nurturing workplace

The hardest part of the job is watching people suffer when you cannot help them. The most enjoyable part of the job is having a client come to tell you that working with you saved their life. Another enjoyable part of the job is feeling like you are connect to the core of the community and having people wave and smile at you wherever you go. Management can be hard to deal with but co-workers are great and change of shift can be a lot of fun, exchanging information and jokes and trying to give each other strength to deal with foreseen and unforeseen challenges that lie ahead for the next shift. When things go wrong it is the clients who are the first to step in and support and encourage.

Pros

building supportive relationships

Cons

low wages

hard work but also fun

I enjoy work not only with other people but also the people that need help in their personal needs My day would be like this by the time I walk in to the time I leave, My job would go from getting their personal needs to serving hot meals at meal time, and spending one to one. I learn not mater who you are you are just like them one time or another. The hardest part of my job that sometime I would have to turn my client away because I could not help them in their needs. You see I was like a social worker assistant in Food bank and Shelter Area. As well my job was to handle the office work in the area I was working in. At the end of month my job was to do all the inventory for that month and report it to the main office that was in Whitehorse. The most enjoyable part was to work with my other co worker and helping others.

Pros

free cooffe and food

Cons

sometime their was not enought hours in the day to complent other task.

Jobs at The Salvation Army

Support Worker positions
See more jobs

very human experiences every day

serving breakfast and chatting with clientele discussing possibilities and days events with clientele problem solving, finding answers, defusing frustration from escalating verbalizing options of clients and finding avenues for them to follow. filing, telephone calls, data entry, interviewing and assessing situations and conditions of people in the moment calling appropriate agencies, looking up on line for information in-taking whilst being unprejudiced, non- judgmental or indifferent showing a compassionate and empathetic attitude, both with body language and voice tones ensuring safety and cleanliness was upheld, both by staff as well as clientele being honest and straightforward

Pros

enjoyed the daily challanges, with working amoungst the homeless

Cons

found that after almost 6 years, i was becoming detached and a bit sceptic of others...

Great work environment.

This seems to be a bit of a mom and pops operation, a bit behind the times in the way they operate, but a great team and work environment.

Pros

Great team and support

Cons

Small caseload making for long days sometimes.

Horrible Management

Management has no idea what is going on in the shelter, or what the job requires. Yet management makes all the decisions. Horribly run business.

peer support non-existant

no comments are going to be made in this field. Im not prepared to make comments about my current employer either pros or cons

good

It was nice helping people who really need some help and support. it was quite challenging at times but overall it was a good experience.

Secure and comfortable work environment

A lot of variety in tasks on a day to day basis. Learned to deal with complex situations with fairly good management and co-worker support.

A miserable place to work.

I was not called upon to use my skills. I was not respected and the position caused me a great deal of stress, which manifested itself physically.

Pros

None.

Cons

Working there

the best place to worked

what I've learned as a Personal support worker to have patient, understanding and compassionate. The most important you must enjoy your job

Pros

shift hours

Cons

early morning shift

Productive and meaningful work place

There is a good cooperation and involvement between the workers. There is a deeper sense connected with that work as we follow the guidelines of the Salvation Army Mission statement. The work requires a vigilance of mind but also kindness of heart, and I like that. I experienced a good management at my place. I like the opportunity to learn about peoples lives and their problems and winning their trust as we try to help them. The work has a meaning for me as one of ways to better a life of individuals and the community.

Pros

good work atmosphere

Cons

night shift

Overall a good employer with good employee care

It is not a high pressure work environment,I can work at my own pace most of the time.My day can be planned as I have a significant amount of autonomy.Most of my work is face to face contact with clients, case-management,meetings,policy and program review and data entry.

Pros

Flexible break times.

Cons

Mid-Morning to late afternnon shifts 2 days a week.

Great place for making contacs

 Provide information to those entering the Court House  Assisting those in need of Emotional support  Accepting Diversions/Donations  Informing those in need of service that are provide by the city - Working will a wide variety of clientele

Pros

Helping others in need

Cons

a lot of sitting

6.2K
3.8K
2.6K
1.1K

3.2Job security/advancement

Compare The Salvation Army with

• The Salvation Army
  • Support Worker
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?