The Salvation Army

Canada46 reviews

Found 46 reviews matching the searchSee all 14,999 reviews
armydonationvolunteerthriftkettlesortinghomelesscommunity

Rewarding entry level work

The Salvation Army is great entry level work for those seeking experience in the social services. You will be met with a mostly kind and welcoming atmosphere as long as you are respectful of the religious nature of the organization. Management is usually very supportive and understanding. Clients are also very diverse and great to work with. The only negatives is the pay is quite low and hours are usually part time. It's hard to make a living working there.

I enjoyed my job and co workers. Management tho was to micromanaged

I enjoyed my tasks. Hours were decent except for getting called in every day off. I felt underappreciated by the manager despite living alot at work. Enjoyable co workers tho and the clients were resepectful for most part.

Insights into The Salvation Army

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

Do not recommend

Did this job for 2 years until I burnt out. High staff turn over. VERY Poor management. No benefits for part time or casual workers. Pay is terrible. Also not a safe environment for guests or staff (high rate of incidence).

Pros

There were some cool staff but have all quit now

Do Not Work Here

Management is terrible no one listens and everyone gossips, not trained properly, work culture is toxic, hi level stress job with very little pay, not worth the headache

Pros

Cons

the pay and stress

For the most part, it was a good place to work

Most days, it was pretty fulfilling helping clients. There were days where it got pretty stressful. Management for the most part where there to support the staff.

Inaccurate job description.

Do not work for the Salvation Army. Very poor management, lack of opportunity, petty supervisor, negative work culture, terrible pay. No integrity. I was offered the job based on a project I was contracted to do, only to be told I was never hired for that reason. Manager does not know how to manage.

Pros

Perfect if you don’t want to think!

Cons

Terrible, petty supervisor.

A learning and growing environment.

The people are amazing to work with. Always a team effort. Learning n growing every day. I am honored to support, encourage, and inspire the most vulnerable in their journey of self discovery.

Pros

Being of service to others

Cons

Vicarious trauma and burn out.

Poor pkace to work

While on the surface they appear to be genuine but in reality they are more concerned about money than people. While they claim to be a Christian organization the actions and attitude do not reflect that in any way. Placing non Christians in positions where they are having to pretend to have a faith is very troubling.

Pros

Non

Cons

Long hours no appreciation

Empty promises

no benefits under contract, no hope in advancing no matter how much blood, sweat and tears you put in. Management needs a remodeling. The clientele (homeless) were less stressful than the management.

Pros

clients

Cons

management

bullied out of my job

working for the SArmy can be a wonderful and awesome thing. Its ministry and employment combined! However, leadership changes in the Army quickly and when it does there is no job security with the in coming leadership. If they at all perceive you as a threat it wont be long before they either find a reason to let you go or make your time working impossible to cope with. basically, they can bully you out of a job and so you quit. This makes me really sad that I'm writing this because it should not be like this. l loved my job.

Pros

Ministry and employment

Cons

insecure people in leadership

Fast-paced and toxic work environment

Fast-paced, a lot of duties that can be easily completed within a day. Learned to work under pressure and with a team. Management is unfair and do not take the best interest of their employees in mind. The work place culture is toxic at times and a lot of work place politics comes into play. The hardest part of the job is working with unmanageable residents and lazy staff. The most enjoyable part is working alone.

Pros

working alone

Cons

almost everything

college placement

I was really happy to be a part of this amazing organization even though it was for a short time During my Social service worker program at Mohawk . The staff here are very professional and welcoming.

Loved my job

I enjoyed working with the staff and clients at the Centre of Hope. The Managers always made sure you felt heard and secure in your job. The clients are the typical street population. Centre of Hope"s focus remains on the safety of the clients while helping the population it serves.

Residential worker

Worked in one of their group homes with people with disabilities. Very rewarding experience. But often witnessed some senior staff members yelling, pushing the residents to do certain things because the residents were 'taking too much time', 'slow', 'indecisive', 'acting up' etc. Lots of gossip, racialized drama and politics among the frontline workers which made the work stressful.

DO not work for SALMH

-Management sucks they do not support staff -Shift supervisor in SIL has no idea what they are doing , very unprofessional and disrespectful -the lack of supports for clients from a program manager or DOS is insane, they put on a front like they care but never make any changes or find any solutions to fix problems -they will use and then spit you out till no longer needed -mentally exhausting

Working with clients almost makes it worthwhile

The work environment is laid back, which can be good if you are working with independent, motivated co-workers. The clients are great to work with for the most part. The job can become difficult because opportunities for advancement are limited. The pay isn't very good, which means there is a lot of turn-over. This means constantly having to build working relationships that you know will soon end. It's alright, but you'll need a second job or to have a partner with a second income.

Great

Good staff and the environment is clean and safe. Friendly staff. The management try to work with the employees as beat they can The home is clean and safe dor residents that we are the for patient and family.

Overall Good

Overall good, the work is rewarding and the clients make it all worth it. Most of the staff were great to work alongside and very supportive team overall. The pay is terrible, pays less than any other social service organization out there that does the exact same type of work, benefits are not great and union dues are high, even though the union does very little for us. There is little room for growth within the organization and internal promotions are often political. In the branch I used to work in- correctional and justice services the director Art and most of the managers under him were not great, and not in-tune with what their front-line workers are dealing with at all, have been in their positions for too long, most are clearly burnt out and seem to want to avoid dealing with issues that staff point out. They "work from home" often and definitely do not put in a full 40 hours of work most weeks.. Its hard for staff morale to be high when this is the example management sets.

It is a fun place to work.

I thoroughly enjoy my position but there is no opportunity to advance.it is an opportunity to help individuals less fortunate than others and to help the women and children build healthy habits and relationships.

enjoyable

i enjoy working here. The staff are great, everyone communicates. hours are questionable but a great place to work . I have seen lots of people come and go. Its sad how many homeless there are and people with addictions that are not getting or wanting the help

Pay was very low for the job requirements. Staff was clicky and not very friendly

I was a casual at the Salvation Army RAC and although the residents liked me, the staff was generally very clicky and stuck to their own groups, not very welcoming at all. There was a lot of gossip and rumour spreading, which made it a very negative place to work

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement