The Salvation Army

Canada14 reviews

Found 14 reviews matching the searchSee all 15,073 reviews
armydonationvolunteerthriftkettlesortinghomelesscommunity

You'll learn a lot

A great place to get a start in homelessness services. Lots of training provided, and you gain experience quickly, so it can be a great stepping stone. Management is at times very supportive, and at other times you really have to advocate for yourself if you feel uncomfortable or unsafe. Overall they really care about people.

Pros

Lots of paid training if you want it, one free meal per shift.

Cons

Not a lot of room to move up within the company.

Belkin House

I used to work at Belkin House as a shelter worker. It was a good start to build experience, but nothing more. The shelter manager who is now in charge is not doing a good job as a leader. Too many times, double staff shifts are not covered by manager. I found myself working alone with aggressive and sometimes violent clients. For the amount of work I did, Belkin House pay really low. Staff is also toxic. Coworkers seem to be busy gossiping and backstabbing each other. Not a supportive environment. Lastly, management provide does not any reference regardless if you are a good employee and duration of employment.

Pros

Experience

Cons

Management, coworkers, low pay, and toxic coworkers

Insights into The Salvation Army

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging

Belkin House

I used to work at Belkin House as a shelter worker. It was a good start to build experience, but nothing more. The shelter manager who is now in charge is not doing a good job as a leader. Too many times, double staff shifts are not covered by manager. I found myself working alone with aggressive and sometimes violent clients. For the amount of work I did, Belkin House pay really low. Staff is also toxic. Coworkers seem to be busy gossiping and backstabbing each other. Not a supportive environment. Lastly, management provide does not any reference regardless if you are a good employment and duration of employment.

Pros

Experience

Cons

Management, coworkers, low pay, and toxic coworkers

Great people!

Working with really great people. Purpose driven incredible people. Everyone works incredibly hard to improve the lives of vulnerable people, leading with compassion, grace and dignity.

Pros

Rewarding work

Cons

Low pay

You need to have strong morals, and stick to them, or find another job.

Not a place you want to make a career out of. As a learning curve and to gain experience. Short term recommended. The politics will drive you crazy...If it's misery 24 7 you are looking for, it's day and night...

stressful, underpaid, knee jerk reactionary managers

managers were busy doing other things than actual onsite issues, very stressful environment, and mostly poor attitude from other co workers,pay is less than what they are funded for, unrealistic expectations for a successful shift for the amount of manpower provided. follow through on training not existing. they paid only 17.50/ hr If the pay had been at 19$/ hr and the management weren't ASSHATS I would have enjoyed the experience and probably still be there

Time with clients

The part about this job is being able to spend time with those who are in need. When you have nothing sometimes staff are the only people that they can talk to or tell things to and that is a nice feeling. Management could step up when problems arise and fix them in a timely manner.

Overall good

Overall good, but wages could be higher compared with similar positions. Sometimes there's a lot of tattletaling which can put a damper on morale and motivation

There's better jobs out there

Management fails to provide leadership. Shelter Workers are uneducated and insecure, tho well meaning. This agency does little than enable clients to exist in mediocrity. Clients go from shelter to shelter, rarely does any of them conquer their homelessness situation. Great place for drug users. Like living with mom, who cooks and cleans for you. Seriously lacking the number of Case Workers required, therefore overburdening the couple they do have, resulting in mediocre service provided to clients. The pay is much lower than fair for this industry. Salvation Army these days is NOTHING like the original ministry, unfortunately.

Pros

Paid every week. Some feel good moments.

Cons

Cheques are often short. Horrible management.

Good job and good middle management

This is a great job for the area, which typically dosent pay well. This position is also double staffed which is great, and light years beyond and much safer then similar jobs with Betamarsh and Community Living.

Pros

Feel Great about your work, interesting people

Cons

Head management to far away to understand ministry

rewarding

meeting and assisting the colorful diverse people of the DTES was an incredible life altering experience. I learned that even when life deals some terrible hands its all in perception and what you do with it.

Pros

food

Cons

politics

Tough spot to work

The nature of the work itself is difficult and high-stress by definition, working with individuals facing mental health and addiction problems. Management does not do enough to protect employees, regularly understaffing shifts in high risk locales and skimping on security costs. Internal politics are rather naked to a degree approaching absurdity, with management promoting/hiring personal friends or even romantic partners ahead of more qualified candidates. For full time or permanent employees the benefits plan is quite generous with vacation allowances, RRSP contributions and an extensive health plan. Pay is quite low for the field, however. Communication between frontline and management staff is poor with a veneer of mutual disdain, concerns (especially regarding morale and safety) are rarely heard or shown much respect. Some management staff directly supervising floor staff buck that trend and are reasonable to work with. The culture of the "floor" employees is quite good and mutually supportive. Even where personalities clash there is the expectation that people shoulder the work equally and back each other up in a crisis. Job security is very good for those who obtain permanent status. Those who would be satisfied with the work conditions would reasonably be able to spend years working there.

Pros

Decent benefits plan and vacation, coworkers are supportive

Cons

Safety issues, industry low pay, management has little regard for frontline staff

great social services agency

provides opportunity to work with the disadvantaged and make a difference, faith based, many, varied, roles, supportive environment, strong management team

Cater to the poor and homeless

We start by feeding ang clothing all our clients and dealing with mental needs as well such as detox. I have learned so much about humanity and what people are capable of. The reason why i left this type of work is because my life was threatened one too many times and on the last day of work a needle was pulled on me. I have to say that my coworkers were wonderfull and trust is a large part of why this is. The reason is because if a fight breaks out i have to feel confident that my coworker has my back when dealing with hostile clients. The hardest part about work as a shelter worker is dealing with people that are constantly depressed and believes that life is not worth living. The most enjoyable about this position is that when a client askes for help and we make arrangment for the client to go to detox to turn his/her life around.

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement