The Salvation Army logo
The Salvation Army

The Salvation Army Employee Reviews for Sales Associate

Found 71 reviews matching the searchSee all 14,526 reviews

People that work here are a really nice group

Working here is definately what customer service is all about. People from many walks of life come to this store and serving them has given me a great experience.

Pros

Never a dull moment

Cons

Different shifts

Uninspired work environment

This is a money hungry organization. Head office is a mess, full of people who think they are better than the store employees because they sit at a desk all day so don’t expect to receive any basic respect. Store management is haphazard and if you do any work beyond your express responsibilities it will become an expectation. Managers pull new rules out of thin air. The job is mindless and there are decent benefits for full time employees. You accumulate sick days but are penalized for using them.

Pros

Paid sick days/vacation

Cons

Poor management and work environment

Great place to work!

Amazing culture and sense of giving back to the community. Awesome leaders and customers. Need better procedures for constructive discipline of staff, especially long-term ones. Lots of bad habits and lack of coaching leads to difficulty in the workplace that could easily be resolved in handled properly. Overall a wonderful experience and such a gift to society.

Pros

great leadership training

Cons

Need more help to stay organized. Communication can be crossed at times.

fun relaxed store

I have been trained in many different areas of operation at the Thrift Store. This keeps me interested. I enjoy helping the customers as well as sorting donations.

It was a good first job, learned a lot. Had fun

Learned a lot about the working industry It helped me build skills, it wasn’t very exciting but I enjoyed it, everyone was nice and was there to help me when needed, I was taught a lot, didn’t work there for long but it was a good job for my very first job

Not a great place to work

Company that claims to help the community but treat their staff like garbage. Overworked, underpaid, understaffed purposely, and everything is the employees faults.

Unfair management to the staff

Working there was great but I had a bad experience with my co-worker but the management are biased & one sided because I am new & the other was a senior.Same person I work with , the 1st day of my work @ the end of our work she found a real gun, pointed on me & click it.That person became a store manager from different location but until now I have nightmares of that experience of that female co-worker.I only wish I call 911 for an assault & I keep it to myself & never tell anyone! Thank God there is no live bullet, same person who loved making up stories about how dealt with customers .Yet every time she open her mouth of lies, our managers & district manager believes what she said.One time I had my surgeries I couldn't work because of nerve pain but received an email that I thought a get well soon & instead they want me to quit my job, its hurts me painfully.Even in a short period of time I invest my honest time to work there but it adds an insult to persuade me & leave me choice. I can't give them a date when I'm coming back to work, very sick minded people who cares only for money but the welfare of their employees they DON'T CARE AT ALL but care money & income, when you become useless for them GOODBYE...Production people & sales associates & cashiers are pretty hard working people there but managers or the management are cold hearted people, trust me they don't care. I remember 1 co-worker who works after long service & retired, no gift, no small party fr the company or fro, the store managers but employees shares some cash as a token of gift as a friend. I loved working -

busy, unorganized, liked helping customers

Fast pace job very dusty, organize clothing, hanging clothing , customer service, how to relate to all different people and help find what they needed

great place to work.

i liked the salvation army a lot, it was my first experience in working. i’d gladly go back if i had the chance. great employees as well. i had a great time with making conversation with employees and customers. made great friends.

Very inclusive

Working at the salvation army had to be my favorite job so far. I am an extrovert so natryally I enjoy talking to people and here I was able to help and communicate with customers daily.

Jobs at The Salvation Army

Sales Associate positions
See more jobs

Good place bad manager

I had a lot of fun working there but the manager and supervisor were not the best and I was very dissapointed with the way they treated me, they were unfair and not good at on the job training my first day they just sent me out without telling me what to do

Great place to be, hours are very accommodating

I loved working for the Army...I met great people and made long-lasting relationships. Being able to play with donations everyday was an amazing experience. Manager needs to be retrained on compassion, and fairness.

I’m not sure what you want in here

I liked working with the other associates. The assistant manager had a problem with yelling at employees in front of customers. I didn’t like it when he did it to other employees but when he started doing it to me I went to the manager. That seemed to help as she said she would speak to him but it seems old habits die hard. There was a lot of good staff who left because of him.

Volunteering here really helped escalate my knowledge on customer service. The staff were nice and showed the procedures and techniques to do the job efficiently.

Not a good work environment

Management just sits in the office talking or on facebook, they also take naps in the back on shift. While working here I got punched in the face at the back doors, I wouldn’t recommend working here.

Pros

Store discount

Cons

Lazy managers

Great Job, but Watch Who You Work For

I loved my job atThe Salvation Army. It was an unfortunate event that caused me to transfer stores and then later quit. Under my experience, HR did nothing to really help me. They just transferred me to another store in hopes that I would be quiet about what happened to me. I loved my job but unfortunately, my Assistant Manager was a bad man. If you get a good team and good management, I think working here is great. They have paid sick time, guaranteed vacation time, and flexible hours. You do not really ever have the opportunity to move up in your store. I worked at two different locations for a year each and neither of them gave me the opportunity to advance. There are pros and cons.

Its good

It was not a job for me. So i quit and look for a new job and found macdonal and i found out i like working with food. Salvation army was a good work.

productive work enviroemnt and good benefits

I enjoyed working here, my coworkers were great as well as the company itself, very comprehensive and always willing to work towards the employees benefits.

Pros

sales associate discounts

Cons

short hours

Decent

Decent place to work. the store lacked proper management. as most of the store was being run by the employees and when we did have a manager, they didn't last for long.

fun workplace

A typical day at work would be to hang clothes and sort things. I learned how to cope with my skills and bend around the rules to make things work. the hardest part of the job was to find where to put the things. the most enjoyable part of the job was spending time with my co-workers.

Pros

lunch breaks

Cons

multitasking

Sufficient

I would be required to clean up the clothes, hang the clothing that was coming in, and clean around the store. In addition, I was required to occasionally work at the cash register. I also assisted several customers with their questions and help them acquire their needed items.

Pros

easy and simple work load

Cons

not very interesting and customer interaction was limited to a certain demographic.

6.2K