The Salvation Army

Sales Associate75 reviews
Canada75 reviews

Found 75 reviews matching the searchSee all 14,995 reviews
armydonationvolunteerthriftkettlesortinghomelesscommunity

I wouldn’t recommend working here at all they do not value their workers at all.

Not a good place to work at long term. Often times they would mistreat their employees and be extremely rude towards people over a simple humanly mistake.

Pros

-flexible hours

Cons

-manager would often cut shift and add shifts

Great hours but we do slave labour

If we got paid more than minimum wage I’d say all the work we do is worth it. But a lot is expected of us for minimum wage. Schedules kind of suck if you’re younger. They try to give you all closing shifts which isn’t really great and cohesive with having a life outside work. And depending on which location you end up at, you could really be dealing with a lot of sketchy things.

Insights into The Salvation Army

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging

Easygoing and laidback job with friendly regulars

During my time as a sales associate, my duties included things like changing out inventory, maintaining a tidy storefront, and interacting with customers. Management was fairly relaxed and it was generally a low-pressure job environment.

Fast paced

If you are looking for somewhere always busy with lots of work. Hard work, get good shows or your back and feet will hurt (will hurt anyways but less) You end up doing more work than you get paid for.

Great place to work very laid back.

A great place to work. It feels like a family everyone works together as a team. It's great being able to give back to the community and helping those in need.

Uninspired work environment

This is a money hungry organization. Head office is a mess, full of people who think they are better than the store employees because they sit at a desk all day so don’t expect to receive any basic respect. Store management is haphazard and if you do any work beyond your express responsibilities it will become an expectation. Managers pull new rules out of thin air. The job is mindless and there are decent benefits for full time employees. You accumulate sick days but are penalized for using them.

Pros

Paid sick days/vacation

Cons

Poor management and work environment

Great place to work!

Amazing culture and sense of giving back to the community. Awesome leaders and customers. Need better procedures for constructive discipline of staff, especially long-term ones. Lots of bad habits and lack of coaching leads to difficulty in the workplace that could easily be resolved in handled properly. Overall a wonderful experience and such a gift to society.

Pros

great leadership training

Cons

Need more help to stay organized. Communication can be crossed at times.

People that work here are a really nice group

Working here is definately what customer service is all about. People from many walks of life come to this store and serving them has given me a great experience.

Pros

Never a dull moment

Cons

Different shifts

fun relaxed store

I have been trained in many different areas of operation at the Thrift Store. This keeps me interested. I enjoy helping the customers as well as sorting donations.

It was a good first job, learned a lot. Had fun

Learned a lot about the working industry It helped me build skills, it wasn’t very exciting but I enjoyed it, everyone was nice and was there to help me when needed, I was taught a lot, didn’t work there for long but it was a good job for my very first job

Not a great place to work

Company that claims to help the community but treat their staff like garbage. Overworked, underpaid, understaffed purposely, and everything is the employees faults.

Unfair management to the staff

Working there was great but I had a bad experience with my co-worker but the management are biased & one sided because I am new & the other was a senior.Same person I work with , the 1st day of my work @ the end of our work she found a real gun, pointed on me & click it.That person became a store manager from different location but until now I have nightmares of that experience of that female co-worker.I only wish I call 911 for an assault & I keep it to myself & never tell anyone! Thank God there is no live bullet, same person who loved making up stories about how dealt with customers .Yet every time she open her mouth of lies, our managers & district manager believes what she said.One time I had my surgeries I couldn't work because of nerve pain but received an email that I thought a get well soon & instead they want me to quit my job, its hurts me painfully.Even in a short period of time I invest my honest time to work there but it adds an insult to persuade me & leave me choice. I can't give them a date when I'm coming back to work, very sick minded people who cares only for money but the welfare of their employees they DON'T CARE AT ALL but care money & income, when you become useless for them GOODBYE...Production people & sales associates & cashiers are pretty hard working people there but managers or the management are cold hearted people, trust me they don't care. I remember 1 co-worker who works after long service & retired, no gift, no small party fr the company or fro, the store managers but employees shares some cash as a token of gift as a friend. I loved working -

busy, unorganized, liked helping customers

Fast pace job very dusty, organize clothing, hanging clothing , customer service, how to relate to all different people and help find what they needed

great place to work.

i liked the salvation army a lot, it was my first experience in working. i’d gladly go back if i had the chance. great employees as well. i had a great time with making conversation with employees and customers. made great friends.

Very inclusive

Working at the salvation army had to be my favorite job so far. I am an extrovert so natryally I enjoy talking to people and here I was able to help and communicate with customers daily.

Good place bad manager

I had a lot of fun working there but the manager and supervisor were not the best and I was very dissapointed with the way they treated me, they were unfair and not good at on the job training my first day they just sent me out without telling me what to do

Great place to be, hours are very accommodating

I loved working for the Army...I met great people and made long-lasting relationships. Being able to play with donations everyday was an amazing experience. Manager needs to be retrained on compassion, and fairness.

I’m not sure what you want in here

I liked working with the other associates. The assistant manager had a problem with yelling at employees in front of customers. I didn’t like it when he did it to other employees but when he started doing it to me I went to the manager. That seemed to help as she said she would speak to him but it seems old habits die hard. There was a lot of good staff who left because of him.

Volunteering here really helped escalate my knowledge on customer service. The staff were nice and showed the procedures and techniques to do the job efficiently.

Not a good work environment

Management just sits in the office talking or on facebook, they also take naps in the back on shift. While working here I got punched in the face at the back doors, I wouldn’t recommend working here.

Pros

Store discount

Cons

Lazy managers

Great Job, but Watch Who You Work For

I loved my job atThe Salvation Army. It was an unfortunate event that caused me to transfer stores and then later quit. Under my experience, HR did nothing to really help me. They just transferred me to another store in hopes that I would be quiet about what happened to me. I loved my job but unfortunately, my Assistant Manager was a bad man. If you get a good team and good management, I think working here is great. They have paid sick time, guaranteed vacation time, and flexible hours. You do not really ever have the opportunity to move up in your store. I worked at two different locations for a year each and neither of them gave me the opportunity to advance. There are pros and cons.

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement