The Salvation Army logo
The Salvation Army

The Salvation Army Employee Reviews for Retail Sales Associate

Found 53 reviews matching the searchSee all 14,526 reviews

fun workplace

very friendly and cool manager and coworkers, only bad thing you have to deal with a lot of garbage between donations and lots a sketchy people . but it helped me with my communication skills and being at the cash register

Pros

discounts

Cons

customers

Management appears to have no retail experience but expecting staff to understand the philosophy (prayer based retail).

Disorganized management team, vague and questionable orientation/start up experience, terrible communications, gossip and second hand information encouraged, far too grounded in magic thinking and prayer.

Pros

Punctual payments

Cons

Disorganized and poor communication from management

fun environment

Productive environment along with best co-workers and supportive management who provide a fun and stress free working surrounding. Best workplace culture where daily duties are easy going and fun.

Very supportive and caring staff/management

I enjoyed working at the Trenton ON store until it was closed down in October 2019. The environment was friendly and instructions were easy to understand. We worked with volunteers, some with challenges, some getting work experience and some doing community work. The manager was fantastic and very patient, especially when there was stress with a worker or customer. We were all very sad when the store closed but still get together for coffee and catch up.

Decent job with high expectations

Very challenging job depending on which location you go to. By challenging I mean the expectations are high from the beginning. If you work at a more popular store, you are expected to reach higher numbers for sales production. Very easy interview and the people along while I worked there were great. The directing manager and store manager were tolerable. Assistant manager was rude. Supervisors were great

A productive and enjoyable place to work

I learned quite a bit here I came out of my shell and was able to help so many customers and kept the store looking presentable. A great place to work

Productive, Poor-Management

I had a lot of up and down at Salvation Army. The staffs are nice; however, the manager doesn't seem to know how to manage the store properly as I find their behaviors are quite poor at times.

Toxic Community

If you like drama and poor management this place is for you. The workload isn't much mostly killing time and getting paid at the end of the day. The manager mostly complains and belittle every chance he gets. The only hard part about this job is keeping a positive attitude. I enjoyed leaving the most.

Good environment

Salvation Army is a nice place to work .Working over there is a kind of community service. We feel positive in all situations when we talk to customers.

Fun time working here

i ragged out the clothes i put the clothes in the shopping cart distying the shoes and putting back the hagges back away and helping my friend and cleaning the windows putting back everthing away

Jobs at The Salvation Army

Retail Sales Associate positions
See more jobs

Good to work for if you win the management lottery

It depends upon your store manager. Our old one was very quality-over-quantity, and was able to make the staff want to come into work. Our current manager likes to hide in the office playing on his phone, only to come out when the production team isn't hitting quota. We have people now calling in sick simply because they don't want to deal with the stress.

Standard Basic Workplace In Retail Field

Not a hard place to work, everything was basically straight forward and plain, the work was easy and every day was mostly the same. Don't expect too many surprises here.

i had fun working for salvation army because we help a lot of people and my co-workers there are good people.The management is awesome and they know what they are doing.

Nice Place to work

Typical day consisted of Production/Getting donated clothing ready to be put on racks in main store. Management is great. Many different cultures work here..

hardworking but flexible

The Salvation Army team was helpful and dutiful, very understanding and encouraging of my college education and was able to work around my schedule. At times some customers could become verbally aggressive there was never a situation that became hostile.

Pros

paid vacations

Cons

strenuous work hours and clientele

fun

Great place to work friendly staff memebers for sure lots of hours and training to help , hires everyone so everyone has a fair chance to work .....

Pros

friendly

Cons

not enough hpurs

Not for everyone

Fun place to work, lots of customer interaction and personability. Staff was all female. Learned why The Salvation Army is needed in the community and the help they do.

Pros

Staff Discount

Cons

Distrusting co-workers

Watch out for the end of your 3 month probationary time

If you almost make it to the end of your 3 months on probation, they will dismiss you without reason so their long time current workers dont lose their hours if store employee hours are cut back

Pros

local, supports the community

Cons

employees show favourtism

Great place

Everyone here was nice, work wasn't to face paced with it being a salvation army but there was still lots to do, definitely a great experience for me and for anyone thinking about applying.

Diverse work staff

I worked at Salvation Army in Thunder Bay for over a year, it had a diverse staff of different backgrounds and good management. Though I was only part time the benefits of the job were good.

Fast paced setting

Never a dull day since you get to meet and help so many interesting characters. I found that I became a more accepting person by working there since the people you meet there come from all walks of life.

Pros

Great discounts on all merchandise

Cons

Physically draining job at times

6.2K