The Salvation Army

Retail Sales Associate58 reviews
Canada58 reviews

Found 58 reviews matching the searchSee all 14,995 reviews

Good company

It was so nice working at Salvation Army, I had fun and I learned to work with compassion and love to people they are in need.. I had to leave bc I graduated from school but it was a good experience

Overall, it was a good place to work at. Management can be stressful though.

It was a good place to work at. You’re lucky if you get good management. It is a dusty environment which I’m sure you are aware of that. They can make you work for long hours but thankfully they pay for overtime.

Pros

Flexible

Insights into The Salvation Army

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging

Cheap

Seems to think they can run a business on volunteers only. Imagine preaching about "helping people out of poverty" yet dishing out starvation wages. Hard work unsurprisingly not rewarded. All around a hypocritical company.

Do yourself a favor and search for employment elsewhere.

I was employed here for around two months and it was by far the absolute WORST job I’ve ever had. Firstly, management has their corporate goals set too high, especially for minimum wage, such as the ability to process 700 items per day (which is for solely one employee to achieve) for their BRIC department (such as housewares, electronics, toys etc.) and around 1,500 for cloth for the whole department. There is absolutely no opportunity for doing a variety of tasks, as said from management. You just do the same task and try to achieve their corporate goals day in, day out each day. Management doesn’t listen to employee’s complaints regarding ridiculous expectations regardless of seniority and you’re just another expendable number and replaceable at any time. When four people leave in just a matter of a week, there’s your cue to leave RIGHT THERE. There were people coming into work anxious about getting fired for not reaching those numbers set by the greedy goons of upper management. It was both physically and emotionally stressful for me, as well as my fellow coworkers’ lives. The whole irony of this whole experience is that TSA is supposed to be an organization devoted to making people’s lives better, when it made mine and others’ worse. It has definitely ruined the name and likeness of TSA and it’s mission for “Giving hope today”.

Pros

Coworkers, wages, perks

Cons

Corporate quotas, management, everything else

No security guard in the business store hours

They management justified not to hire a security guard in the business store hours due the money is not enough to pay for.Moreover, they want you to. deal with homeless and people under drugs or alcohol, lift shopper without proper training which I was hired as CSR and not as a guard.

Pros

30 percent discount as an employee

Cons

stressful ambience when there were not guard in store hours

Management appears to have no retail experience but expecting staff to understand the philosophy (prayer based retail).

Disorganized management team, vague and questionable orientation/start up experience, terrible communications, gossip and second hand information encouraged, far too grounded in magic thinking and prayer.

Pros

Punctual payments

Cons

Disorganized and poor communication from management

fun workplace

very friendly and cool manager and coworkers, only bad thing you have to deal with a lot of garbage between donations and lots a sketchy people . but it helped me with my communication skills and being at the cash register

Pros

discounts

Cons

customers

fun environment

Productive environment along with best co-workers and supportive management who provide a fun and stress free working surrounding. Best workplace culture where daily duties are easy going and fun.

Very supportive and caring staff/management

I enjoyed working at the Trenton ON store until it was closed down in October 2019. The environment was friendly and instructions were easy to understand. We worked with volunteers, some with challenges, some getting work experience and some doing community work. The manager was fantastic and very patient, especially when there was stress with a worker or customer. We were all very sad when the store closed but still get together for coffee and catch up.

Decent job with high expectations

Very challenging job depending on which location you go to. By challenging I mean the expectations are high from the beginning. If you work at a more popular store, you are expected to reach higher numbers for sales production. Very easy interview and the people along while I worked there were great. The directing manager and store manager were tolerable. Assistant manager was rude. Supervisors were great

A productive and enjoyable place to work

I learned quite a bit here I came out of my shell and was able to help so many customers and kept the store looking presentable. A great place to work

Productive, Poor-Management

I had a lot of up and down at Salvation Army. The staffs are nice; however, the manager doesn't seem to know how to manage the store properly as I find their behaviors are quite poor at times.

Toxic Community

If you like drama and poor management this place is for you. The workload isn't much mostly killing time and getting paid at the end of the day. The manager mostly complains and belittle every chance he gets. The only hard part about this job is keeping a positive attitude. I enjoyed leaving the most.

Good environment

Salvation Army is a nice place to work .Working over there is a kind of community service. We feel positive in all situations when we talk to customers.

Fun time working here

i ragged out the clothes i put the clothes in the shopping cart distying the shoes and putting back the hagges back away and helping my friend and cleaning the windows putting back everthing away

Good to work for if you win the management lottery

It depends upon your store manager. Our old one was very quality-over-quantity, and was able to make the staff want to come into work. Our current manager likes to hide in the office playing on his phone, only to come out when the production team isn't hitting quota. We have people now calling in sick simply because they don't want to deal with the stress.

Standard Basic Workplace In Retail Field

Not a hard place to work, everything was basically straight forward and plain, the work was easy and every day was mostly the same. Don't expect too many surprises here.

i had fun working for salvation army because we help a lot of people and my co-workers there are good people.The management is awesome and they know what they are doing.

Nice Place to work

Typical day consisted of Production/Getting donated clothing ready to be put on racks in main store. Management is great. Many different cultures work here..

hardworking but flexible

The Salvation Army team was helpful and dutiful, very understanding and encouraging of my college education and was able to work around my schedule. At times some customers could become verbally aggressive there was never a situation that became hostile.

Pros

paid vacations

Cons

strenuous work hours and clientele

fun

Great place to work friendly staff memebers for sure lots of hours and training to help , hires everyone so everyone has a fair chance to work .....

Pros

friendly

Cons

not enough hpurs

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement