The Salvation Army

Canada8 reviews

Found 8 reviews matching the searchSee all 15,079 reviews
armydonationvolunteerthriftkettlesortinghomelesscommunity

Team environment

I learned the various aspects of serving clients in a homeless shelter setting, the importance of confidentiality, counselling, and most especially, teamwork.

Pros

Free lunchs

Cons

Opportunity for growth based on Seniority

Learning opportunities

I always thought helping people is the most important part of my life. The Salvation Army has dedicated to help those who needs support mentally, physically and emotionally.

Pros

Life time experience

Cons

O.D issues

Insights into The Salvation Army

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

Good workplace

A typical day at Wilkinson includes doing intakes and helping clients with things such as giving them basic necessaties that Salvation Army provides for them, or things that get donated. Some days are slow and some days can be harder than others. Working at a homeless shelter is a real eyeopening experience, and good experince for those who want to become social workers. You are able to see the reality of things at this shelter, and barriers that you face with clients that sometimes prevent you from helping them. I would have to say the most enjoyable part of this job is being able to get along easily with the staff, and they are very helpful so always ask questions. It can be a very rewarding job, and some of the clients can be very nice and welcoming.

Pros

Rewarding job

Very accepting workplace

Loved working here, more security needed and more team-work! Better plans need to be put in place, sanitary environment over all. Gossip among co-workers.

Some staff unsympathetic to homeless men

Greeted clients, provided a listening ear, doled out mail and medication, made appointments with visiting psychiatrist, provided security by walking the dorms with walky-talkies, assisted in the cafeteria. Clients were wonderful and many employees kind and helpful.

Pros

An opportunity to learn about homelessness and provide a listening ear

Cons

Some staff unsympathetic to clients

Frontline worker

I enjoy my job! Its been really great getting to know the youth that I work with and encouraging them to reach there full potential. I have only been with the company a short time and still have had the opportunity to see growth in the lives of the youth I have worked with.

Pros

Free Meals, Rewarding Worker

clean work space

very nice new building, great place to start your social work career. good staff and a great daily plan for clients to get back on there feet and start a new.

I enjoy my job here, it is a great feeling at the end of the day knowing I am trying to make a difference. I have a great work relationship with my co-workers. The hardest part of my job is dealing with our clients who suffer from severe mental health issues, communicating can be tough. I enjoy the job because I can make a difference in peoples lives.

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement