The Salvation Army logo
The Salvation Army

The Salvation Army Employee Reviews for Front End Associate

Found 20 reviews matching the searchSee all 14,528 reviews

Quit place

Fairy quit place to work. You don't have a lot of client interaction and staff seem to be against each other there. Car clients are wonderful to deal with

Pros

Clean

Cons

Managment

Don't Do It

If you want to help people this is NOT the place for you, everyday is Abuse Abuse and More Abuse by clients, community and other staff. Enablers for drugs and theft, the only thing they provide is shelter and food for ungrateful humans/

Cons

Very Abussive Atmosphere

Great place to work if you are new to the field and looking a pathway to other social services.

Upper management does not care about frontline workers. There is no union at this location and management does not like staff talking about union. If you do, you are scrutinize or given the cold shoulder. Also the staffing environment is very toxic. Some staff display discrimination towards others and do a lot of gossiping.

Pros

Connect with community members and residents we serve

Cons

Long hours, cheap wage

Worst experience ever

During my interview they made it seem like it was a great place to work, didn't include any of the security issues within the company. They overwork all Frontline staff, they undermine, very critical and never listen to staff about dangerous situations. Favoritism, and gossip between higher up is an ongoing problem, if they do not like you watch your back, they will write you up for the most petty things and never allow you to grow within the company. Hands down the worst company I have ever worked for!

Pros

Cons

Never allowed to sit, breaks never happen, stressful, management is uneducated, too much gossip, wage is ridiculously low for the workload, always criticized but never praised of good things

A supportive staff makes for a less stressful shift.

Organization is based on helping others. You must be able to maintain calm under duress. Most of the records are kept on paper as well as computerized, so there is much written records to keep track of.

It's all the things they warn you about in college.

Once you build rapport with clients the job is relatively simple. It's the days it's not simple that make it difficult. You're one of two people running a shelter during meals, fights, medical emergencies and/or overdoses. Management has never worked in a frontline position before so they are VERY naive. Even though I loved the clients I had to leave because I couldn't handle enabling them. Being paid $16.20 an hour and never having the opportunity to advance as they only hire externally despite saying otherwise.

Love the work ethic. Salvation Army is a sure place. I love my job because of the fact that it concerns people. And this company has given me the opportunity to bring out the best in me

continual staff turnover. No incentive to stay

It was a great place to work till the Executive Director change! It is all about the money and very little concern about the clients needs. Staff are continually changing. Burn out is high due to the stress level the Full Times work under. Managers cant make decisions on their own. Very unprofessional. They have managers who have been with the organization a short period of time. It's not what you know but who you know at Broadview Village

Understanding needs reviewed

No chance of advancement , The best part of the job was meeting and speaking with the clients and the public. A very good learning experience and other employees input and willingness to help.

Pros

A very good learning.and understanding

Cons

Poor pay

Not what I expected

I had high hopes, and expectations, of an agency with such a big reputation. The people I worked with were late often, were not trauma-informed even though they were working with people who needed people who were, and when I went to management over health code or city requirements not being met, they were not supportive.

Pros

got to help people who were really needing help

Cons

many staff, and management were not supportive or respectful of the job, the people, or their co-workers

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at The Salvation Army?

Productive Place to work

Very friendly work environment. Great co-workers and always learning.Meet new clients to help them with positive changes in their life. Best workplace.

loved working for this organization

Love the clients and co worker valued the time and experienced I h Gained in my 4 year employment at bayside mission. The venerable sector in situations to which they endured everyday due to addiction issues and mental health issues to which these individuals who lives in this kind of environment. I always made attempts to know these clients name and there story in order to best help each person with there needs.

Pros

lunch n dinner

Fast passed work environment!

high volume clients each with varying needs. the course of each shift is determined by how well the team works together each shift to communicate information and to handle client needs appropriately.

Pros

self managed most the time

Cons

can be a risky place when working with substance abuse or mental health

Challenging staff work environment

The staff environment was extremely challenging to work with. Staff seemed to have an agenda only for themselves and did not work as a team. Management were aware of issues concerning staff environment but did very little to help the situation.

Great opportunities for hands-on experience within the homeless community

Shifts can include incoming intakes which involves inputting their information in the system, and conducting an intake where paper work is required to be filled out. Their room must be ready by conducting a room check and providing them with basic necessities such as toilet paper, tooth paste, tooth brush, etc. Phone calls must be answered in the office such as clients requesting shelter, but must be eligible in order to be processed (must live in the region of Peel, must be homeless, must have a family). Clients must be served from the office and their needs must be met. I've learned how to be empathetic with the most challenging clients who are homeless. At the end of the day, they do not wish to be in a shelter and every client is different in regards to their situation. I've learned not to take things personal as well. I enjoy working with all my co-workers as I work with a very supportive team. The hardest part of my job is working with clients who do not listen to reason. Some may have mental health issues, or some may just be having a bad day. The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to help others in need and working with the children from time to time.

Pros

The work is rewarding.

Cons

Overnight shifts.

rewarding career

as you arrived at work I was always greated by clients and conversed quickly how everyone was, I kept a good staff client relationship giving and recieving mutual respect all around. the job was rewarding and full of great life lessons as well as sad and hurtfull but I always have hope for everyone

Pros

life changing factors seeing a homeless man start life new

Cons

drugs and alcohol controling people

Great place to work. Wonderful coworkers and clients Good management Good learning experience

I enjoyed working with homeless people

A typical day at salvation army was assisting clients. I also helped with meal prep and finding shelter. Overall I enjoy helping people some days were better then others. But overall being able to give back is a blessing

Pros

Being able to see people happy

Cons

Sometime very tiring

Enjoyable Workplace

When I attend work, we start off with "shift change" which consists of the previous shift passing on any information that the starting shift need to know in regards to the facility, clients and staff. The rest of the shift consists of clerical work including but not limited to:- Filing- Client intake and discharge- Distributing necessary supplies to clients- Building security- Counselling- Serving meals- Answering phone callsI learned great customer service skills as well as crisis intervention and to work well alone as well as within a team.Management staff at The Salvation Army are very supportive and eager to teach other staff.My co-workers work well together and are very reliable. They are very inspirational and work hard to make sure clients are satisfied and so that work is distributed evenly.The hardest part of my job is feeling for the clients that I am in contact with, they come from all walks of life and some have a very traumatizing history and its hard not to sympathize too much.The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing that I am helping people get back on their feet and lending them a hand up.

Pros

very fulfilling job

Cons

not enough shifts

Productive and fun work place

Working for the Salvation Army was very rewarding. I learned core values such as, patient, understanding and how to show empathy. The management team was great to work with, they are respectfull towards the staff and that was great. I worked with a great team, with different values and opinions, there you learn to be non-judgemental.The hardest part of my job was leaving and the most enjoyable part was showing up for work. It was a fun atmosphere to work

Pros

trips taken

6.2K