The Salvation Army

Canada23 reviews

Found 23 reviews matching the searchSee all 15,073 reviews
armydonationvolunteerthriftkettlesortinghomelesscommunity

It’s ok… I guess

At my current place of employment there is not much to do. I get paid to sit around and socialize with the residents so I guess it’s an ok job for those looking for an easy one

Non responsive management team.

A good placement for high school students to learn interactions with homeless persons. No real supervision and don’t care management style. Staff have to purchase our writing supplies. No communication between staff and management and no direction. POP is not available as under review for over two years.

Pros

No supervision

Cons

No supervision

Insights into The Salvation Army

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging

Treat employees like garbage

They treat employees like garbage. I would not make any more donations to this hypocritical place. As an employer, they cut out your web services so you can't see your pay stubs as they were online.

Pros

Cons

Work

Don't Do It

If you want to help people this is NOT the place for you, everyday is Abuse Abuse and More Abuse by clients, community and other staff. Enablers for drugs and theft, the only thing they provide is shelter and food for ungrateful humans/

Cons

Very Abussive Atmosphere

Great place to work if you are new to the field and looking a pathway to other social services.

Upper management does not care about frontline workers. There is no union at this location and management does not like staff talking about union. If you do, you are scrutinize or given the cold shoulder. Also the staffing environment is very toxic. Some staff display discrimination towards others and do a lot of gossiping.

Pros

Connect with community members and residents we serve

Cons

Long hours, cheap wage

Worst experience ever

During my interview they made it seem like it was a great place to work, didn't include any of the security issues within the company. They overwork all Frontline staff, they undermine, very critical and never listen to staff about dangerous situations. Favoritism, and gossip between higher up is an ongoing problem, if they do not like you watch your back, they will write you up for the most petty things and never allow you to grow within the company. Hands down the worst company I have ever worked for!

Pros

Cons

Never allowed to sit, breaks never happen, stressful, management is uneducated, too much gossip, wage is ridiculously low for the workload, always criticized but never praised of good things

Quit place

Fairy quit place to work. You don't have a lot of client interaction and staff seem to be against each other there. Car clients are wonderful to deal with

Pros

Clean

Cons

Managment

A supportive staff makes for a less stressful shift.

Organization is based on helping others. You must be able to maintain calm under duress. Most of the records are kept on paper as well as computerized, so there is much written records to keep track of.

It's all the things they warn you about in college.

Once you build rapport with clients the job is relatively simple. It's the days it's not simple that make it difficult. You're one of two people running a shelter during meals, fights, medical emergencies and/or overdoses. Management has never worked in a frontline position before so they are VERY naive. Even though I loved the clients I had to leave because I couldn't handle enabling them. Being paid $16.20 an hour and never having the opportunity to advance as they only hire externally despite saying otherwise.

Love the work ethic. Salvation Army is a sure place. I love my job because of the fact that it concerns people. And this company has given me the opportunity to bring out the best in me

continual staff turnover. No incentive to stay

It was a great place to work till the Executive Director change! It is all about the money and very little concern about the clients needs. Staff are continually changing. Burn out is high due to the stress level the Full Times work under. Managers cant make decisions on their own. Very unprofessional. They have managers who have been with the organization a short period of time. It's not what you know but who you know at Broadview Village

Understanding needs reviewed

No chance of advancement , The best part of the job was meeting and speaking with the clients and the public. A very good learning experience and other employees input and willingness to help.

Pros

A very good learning.and understanding

Cons

Poor pay

Not what I expected

I had high hopes, and expectations, of an agency with such a big reputation. The people I worked with were late often, were not trauma-informed even though they were working with people who needed people who were, and when I went to management over health code or city requirements not being met, they were not supportive.

Pros

got to help people who were really needing help

Cons

many staff, and management were not supportive or respectful of the job, the people, or their co-workers

Productive Place to work

Very friendly work environment. Great co-workers and always learning.Meet new clients to help them with positive changes in their life. Best workplace.

loved working for this organization

Love the clients and co worker valued the time and experienced I h Gained in my 4 year employment at bayside mission. The venerable sector in situations to which they endured everyday due to addiction issues and mental health issues to which these individuals who lives in this kind of environment. I always made attempts to know these clients name and there story in order to best help each person with there needs.

Pros

lunch n dinner

Fast passed work environment!

high volume clients each with varying needs. the course of each shift is determined by how well the team works together each shift to communicate information and to handle client needs appropriately.

Pros

self managed most the time

Cons

can be a risky place when working with substance abuse or mental health

Challenging staff work environment

The staff environment was extremely challenging to work with. Staff seemed to have an agenda only for themselves and did not work as a team. Management were aware of issues concerning staff environment but did very little to help the situation.

Great opportunities for hands-on experience within the homeless community

Shifts can include incoming intakes which involves inputting their information in the system, and conducting an intake where paper work is required to be filled out. Their room must be ready by conducting a room check and providing them with basic necessities such as toilet paper, tooth paste, tooth brush, etc. Phone calls must be answered in the office such as clients requesting shelter, but must be eligible in order to be processed (must live in the region of Peel, must be homeless, must have a family). Clients must be served from the office and their needs must be met. I've learned how to be empathetic with the most challenging clients who are homeless. At the end of the day, they do not wish to be in a shelter and every client is different in regards to their situation. I've learned not to take things personal as well. I enjoy working with all my co-workers as I work with a very supportive team. The hardest part of my job is working with clients who do not listen to reason. Some may have mental health issues, or some may just be having a bad day. The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to help others in need and working with the children from time to time.

Pros

The work is rewarding.

Cons

Overnight shifts.

rewarding career

as you arrived at work I was always greated by clients and conversed quickly how everyone was, I kept a good staff client relationship giving and recieving mutual respect all around. the job was rewarding and full of great life lessons as well as sad and hurtfull but I always have hope for everyone

Pros

life changing factors seeing a homeless man start life new

Cons

drugs and alcohol controling people

Great place to work. Wonderful coworkers and clients Good management Good learning experience

I enjoyed working with homeless people

A typical day at salvation army was assisting clients. I also helped with meal prep and finding shelter. Overall I enjoy helping people some days were better then others. But overall being able to give back is a blessing

Pros

Being able to see people happy

Cons

Sometime very tiring

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement