The Salvation Army logo
The Salvation Army

The Salvation Army Employee Reviews for Customer Service Representative

Found 46 reviews matching the searchSee all 14,526 reviews

Stressful due to poor management

After talking to other employees from other locations ..., we all feel the same... the organization is not at all what we thought it was...poisonous work environment best describes it...

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

Not enough hours and poor pay

Terrible

Not appreciated. Over worked, under paid. Too many people think they’re the boss. Only hire for busy season then let you go for no reason. Terrible management

Good place to start

management is good however lots of politics involved in who become managers and one Director moves all the pieces around. Work environment and infrastructure is run down operating from within various old buildings. Work life balance is good and workforce unionized. Although union doesn't do anything for us

Pros

Work life balance

Cons

no advancement, poor staff morale from working in an old building and cobstant construction around us

You have daily quotas, which some days are hard to meet, staff is fun, and management will work with you when you need days off. Physical labor if you are working in the back. Nice to be able to help people with vouchers or to find what they need at a reasonable price.

Its a fun place to work

The most enjoyable part of working here is putting a smile on peoples faces through a nice free breakfast and lunch hence giving hope every single day.

It can be a fun place to work!

Back when I was interviewed in 2008, it was a fun place to work, now its more stressful... Still a great place to work. I recommend anyone to give it a try :)

Excellent opportunity to volunteer

Volunteering for the charity is a wonderful way to gain experience to help you towards gaining paid employment whilst giving back to the community . I would highly recommend this to anyone

It puts a smile on someone's face especially those who don't have a meal or clothes to wear

I enjoy volunteering at the cafe to ensure that the patrons are served they preferred drinks and meals.I have learned customer service skills ,organisation skills, effective communication and time management. The staff and management are friendly,compassionate, kind,loving and helpful.

A typical day at work

The clients were the most enjoyable part of the job. The hardest part of the job was standing for an 8 hour shift. I learned that people remember who was there for them in hard times and they give back.

Former employee in Niagara falls

I thoroughly enjoyed my time at the Salvation Army, however, I resigned due to the manager. She was not shy to call you out in front of your co workers. She was all about productivity and not at all about growing a team. She would not accommodate any time off request, even though you were giving two weeks notice. She stated we are to work around “her” schedule. She does not value the mission statement of the Salvation Army. I would highly suggest that she attend some training seminars/conferences on how to build team moral, and how to be a team player. Managers are put in place to support the team, not to knock them down. There is a very high staff turn over at this location, so unless the manager changes her ways, I would not recommend employment at this location.

Okay job, work with really nice employees usually

Staff drama and no advancement even after 5 years my salary didn’t change. Part timers have no job security or chance to advance . Brampton store manager was a major tyrant

sally ann

I did not work here but was the helper when the Brantford Store opened it gots it's up and drowns. some staff was not nice and ceo was always picking on little things

working there was pretty nice

I learned to stand on a long period of time, learn to deal with customers complaints. The most enjoyable part was when they were a lot of customer what kept me busy. The most hardest part was when there is nothing to do and you should be doing something except at the break.

Previous Manager was not great to work for, but there is new management and I hear good things

Great place to work for those who love to organize. Can be tiresome at times, but a good group of employees who do there part make all the difference.

fun work environment

working at salvation army was a fun experience. I learned a lot. different retail experience than regular retail. had allergies to products. management is great. work culture was great. hardest part of the job was having a quota and time frame on everything. the most enjoyable part of the job was being on cash. enjoyed interacting with the customers.

Pros

staff discount

Cons

can't get my job back

Productive workplace

Overall a great fun place to work at with funny people around. An interesting work environment where every shift is different and sometimes feels like a workout.

Pros

Fun shifts and great people to work with

Cons

work can be an overload

Nice Staff and Managers

A nice organization to work in but its very hard for advancements the managers and upper staff doesn't care for prior staff who have disabilities and want to excel in the company there are to many high standards to be part of the company

Pros

flexible hours reasonable pay

Cons

hard to advance in company

the thrifting market.

Working at Salvation army has made me ready to branch out & not become so comfortable in my zone. I am ready to take on more responsibilities in the retail community.

Pros

extra shifts

Cons

management

productive and friendly at the workplace

A typical work day begins with enthusiasm and a smile always available to learn new things. To have a very good management in a work place is very important to me always ask if am not sure of any project or in a complicated work situation to find a very good solution in any difficult circumstance. The best thing about the job is enjoy the acquired achievements and the recognition by them.

Highschool

Did this as a job in highschool just to make a few dollars to buy things for myself but it wasnt the most fun because they had me doing things i wasnt sure as to what to do

professional environment

I enjoyed working for this company , i like thrift stores very much so working at one was really cool. I had no problems and it was always a pleasure coming into work every time.

6.2K