The Salvation Army

The Salvation Army Employee Reviews in Victoria, BC

Found 21 reviews matching the searchSee all 14,552 reviews

All departments work very well together, a real team.

During my employment with Salvation Army I was fortunate to be part of the departments growth. The Activity team was very supportive and was a remarkable group to work with. The Director of the department is very approachable and supportive with new ideas.

Care more about customer than their employees

I worked at the Salvation Army as a supervisor and Assistant manager and considering the amount of tasks and responsibility given, the pay was below the retail market! Easy place to get in and the tasks are not rocket science but you won't ever get recognize, paid properly and you can forget about a recommendation letter if you leave after many years of service, it's not the company's policy. Be careful

Productive and fun place to work.

A typical day at work is fair Learned policy and procedures fair Management is fair Workplace culture fair Hardest part of the job is when short staff Resources for programming are not immediately available. most enjoyable part of the job is when clients, residents and family are happy and satisfied.

Pros

Good Location, good team, Have fair salary and benefit and good working hours as an activity worker

Cons

Limited room for advancement.

It was a practicum placement

It was a practicum placement so I did not get paid. I had a great time working there and seeing how the Salvation Army works. I learned a lot being there.

needed to move on

Due to relative being hired, had to move on. Due to conflict etc. Rather not get into too much on here. Thanks for your understanding. now, I am just trying to find something new.

Great Learning experience

I was a student at the time and they were very considerate of my schedule. Staff were great; I know that they were always willing to answer any of my questions and were very empathetic towards the residents.

Great place

Loved the people I worked with and for. Very challenging for a retail job mostly because of where it is located. But I loved it. Only reason I left was because I moved.

You take the good with the bad

The work is fulfilling and rewarding. It is nice to have a good union and the shop stewards are all great at representing the staff. The management is disorganized has a high turnover rate and there is no infrastructure for employee development.

Pros

Helping People

Cons

No room for growth

Fast paced challenging enviroment

Generally a good place to work but comes with many difficult challenges. Fast paced, very busy, usually quiet jovial but has moments of high stress and the occasional tragedy.

I worked there for a short time due to the location, busing there wasn't ideal for me. The benefits working there were great, I enjoyed my bosses, the work wasn't bad. It was fun checking out all the interesting stuff people would donate.

Jobs at The Salvation Army

in Victoria, BC
See more jobs

Good start

When I started off working here, it was pretty great. Lots of good employees and decent workload. We then got a new manager and it went off the deep end.

Pros

Good people

Cons

Bad management

soul fulfilling career

Excellent job for soul fulfillment. Great people great cause. Had I not been re locating I would have happily stayed. A transfer was not available in my new area.

Lots of work but not a lot of recognition

Retail is an hard environment but when you work for a charity based organisation you might expect to be treated a bit differently, well the salvation army thrift store's workplace culture is more being paid low and doing everything and no matter what,your opinion doesn't matter. If you like to be treated like slaves, go for it and apply

productive and busy involving heavy lifting

A typical day at work would involve assisting opening the store early in the morning where your daily duties would include opening the loading dock, checking the side of the building for new donations and bringing them to the back of the store, using a pallet jack to bring out triplewall corrugated pallet boxes of donations out into the back of the stores sorting station, sweeping the back sorting stations and walkways, assist bringing out the front merchandise to the front of the store, unlocking the side gates, and for the rest of the day removing garbage from the sorters stations, and removing and bringing the sorters newly filled triplewall corrugated pallet boxes full of donations to be sorted. I learned organization skills cooperation skills and time management skills while working at this job, the management was always fair and helpful and includes all of the workers in decisions regarding the store and how to make things run more smoothly, my coworkers were energetic fun people with good humor and strong work ethics. the hardest part of the job would have to be long hours of heavy lifting, difficult weather, and early morning shifts, the most enjoyable part of the job would have to be that with all the heavy lifting you get into shape quickly and the people I worked with were always kind and no matter the day there was always a laugh to be had in regards to some of the random donations that we received.

Pros

entertainment, wages, fair management.

Cons

long hours, heavy lifting, weather.

great people that I worked with

Opened and closed the cash registers Daily upkeep of the store Customer service Learned to help customers and work with employees in a mmore productive way. Really got along with the employees there. Hardest part was the repetitiveness of the physical work. Interacting with the customers and co workers was enjoyable!

Pros

enjoyed interacting with co workers

Cons

repetitive work

Fun place to work

Co-wokers I enjoy very much I enjoy every aspect. The management team is good and I like coming to work. I wish I got paid more but what can you do when the CEO only makes 27,000 a year because we give back to the community.

Pros

Discounts

Cons

Minium wage

Bad management, good benefits

I worked at Salvation Army for 2 years. The management was not the best but they did give good benefits. We had to go through raw donations and some of the things we came across were disgusting and half the time they didn't have gloves for us to wear. I even had to pick up a needle that someone had left outside of our store. Obviously I had put gloves on for this, I actually put on about three different pairs.

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

Bad management

A miserable place to work.

I was not called upon to use my skills. I was not respected and the position caused me a great deal of stress, which manifested itself physically.

Pros

None.

Cons

Working there

Horrible Manager

Manager was lazy and demanding. Work was generally carried by one or two people, while the manager took smoke breaks and sat in her office the entire day. She also came in late many days saying "she deserved it for working so hard". The only good part about working for the Salvation Army is experience for resume. Pay wasn't enough for the slaves we were treated like.

A stressful work experience

I worked for the organization for over 20 years and it was a stressful and burnout experience.Supervisors were often demanding and very short on understanding.The organization is very political and if you are not a part of the "in group" then you tend to receive difficult assignments with little expression of appreciation for any accomplishments.

Being a source of help and moral support to all clients

A typical day began at 8:00 a.m. with a short staff meeting to prep for the challenges of the day.My work was primarily administrative, plus any counselling that I chose to take on.I was fortunate to have excellent staff, the majority of which I recruited personally. Our focus was the development and implementation of programs that were in direct response to client need.

Pros

staff that were supportive and dependable

Cons

funds were not readily available to underwrite cost of programs

6.2K