The Salvation Army

The Salvation Army Employee Reviews in Vancouver, BC

Vancouver, BC37 reviews

Found 37 reviews matching the searchSee all 15,073 reviews
armydonationvolunteerthriftkettlesortinghomelesscommunity

For the most part, it was a good place to work

Most days, it was pretty fulfilling helping clients. There were days where it got pretty stressful. Management for the most part where there to support the staff.

Belkin House

I used to work at Belkin House as a shelter worker. It was a good start to build experience, but nothing more. The shelter manager who is now in charge is not doing a good job as a leader. Too many times, double staff shifts are not covered by manager. I found myself working alone with aggressive and sometimes violent clients. For the amount of work I did, Belkin House pay really low. Staff is also toxic. Coworkers seem to be busy gossiping and backstabbing each other. Not a supportive environment. Lastly, management provide does not any reference regardless if you are a good employee and duration of employment.

Pros

Experience

Cons

Management, coworkers, low pay, and toxic coworkers

Insights into The Salvation Army

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging

Belkin House

I used to work at Belkin House as a shelter worker. It was a good start to build experience, but nothing more. The shelter manager who is now in charge is not doing a good job as a leader. Too many times, double staff shifts are not covered by manager. I found myself working alone with aggressive and sometimes violent clients. For the amount of work I did, Belkin House pay really low. Staff is also toxic. Coworkers seem to be busy gossiping and backstabbing each other. Not a supportive environment. Lastly, management provide does not any reference regardless if you are a good employment and duration of employment.

Pros

Experience

Cons

Management, coworkers, low pay, and toxic coworkers

Did Christmas kettles. I was servicing a purpose.

Salvation Army is an excellent place to work both as a paid employee (Christmas kettles, they paying me helped me to make it through the Christmas holidays as I was struggling financially.) and as a volunteer in the North Shore playing the piano and serving food in the downtown eastside on the street and at Harbour Light as well.

You need to have strong morals, and stick to them, or find another job.

Not a place you want to make a career out of. As a learning curve and to gain experience. Short term recommended. The politics will drive you crazy...If it's misery 24 7 you are looking for, it's day and night...

Productive, Poor-Management

I had a lot of up and down at Salvation Army. The staffs are nice; however, the manager doesn't seem to know how to manage the store properly as I find their behaviors are quite poor at times.

unfriendly, unprofessional, micromanaging, strict, hard to please staff & management

I would arrive at 8am each day, and was told how to set up programs, what tables and chairs had to be used, and what materials I needed. I had ZERO say, or creativity in this job, and felt un-trusted as I was micromanaged daily. The staff are very cliquey and it was hard to talk to staff. The management walked around with their noses turned up, not seeming to care about my ideas, questions, or concerns. ALL the managers are very difficult to work with and I do not wish this upon anyone. I could feel the tension during my interview, but still decided to take the job. The only thing I gained was a backbone.

Great culture, No stress

Great company built on Christian fundamentals. I was a volunteer so i got to work in the kitchen. Very good people. Hardest part was lots of dishes. Easy job.

Pros

Good People

Work Fulfillment

Work place is very well supported and can support their clients with many aspects of their lives. They are a very well oiled machine that could do much more if they were entrusted with more access to the supplies that they need as well as the finances.

i had fun working for salvation army because we help a lot of people and my co-workers there are good people.The management is awesome and they know what they are doing.

I've only just begun working here, however, I have only been met with the nicest people and the warmest residents. This line of work can be tough however everyone is so kind and willing to help.

rewarding

meeting and assisting the colorful diverse people of the DTES was an incredible life altering experience. I learned that even when life deals some terrible hands its all in perception and what you do with it.

Pros

food

Cons

politics

Success stories of men recovering finding God and recovery

The hardest part of the job is somebody passing due to addiction. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing God at work in someone's heart and watching the change of heart and life.

Pros

Being able to be of service.

Cons

Not being able to help everyone find hope freedom and God.

Fast paced setting

Never a dull day since you get to meet and help so many interesting characters. I found that I became a more accepting person by working there since the people you meet there come from all walks of life.

Pros

Great discounts on all merchandise

Cons

Physically draining job at times

Work review

Very nice and very friendly workers. It is really fast paced and requires a lot of focus on the job. I got to help the homeless out who are in need. So yeah very satisfying.

Enjoyed customer interaction

Enjoyed serving customers. Learned about signage display. Learned about designers. Typical work day: pricing, checking quality of donatedmerchandise

Benefits

Cons

Bad location

It was fun

I volunteered there every once in a while and I helped out the poor. I gave them food and help the soup kitchen make the foods necessary, and help with the clean up and handing them out.

Attitude Of Gratitude

I am forever grateful to the Salvation Army, they opened their arms to me while I was sick,homeless, on My last legs.......God Bless Everyone associated with S.A.

great work helping people

too much gossip and competitiveness...really no room to move up and the turn over rate is unbelievable ...the administrative assistant is absolutely the best and and the older staff is phenomenal...the new staff has made it a very challenging place to work

Taking photographs of events, landscapes, member's portraits

A very loving, trustworthy and friendly environment. I've done the Thanksgiving event, member's portraits and beautiful city landscapes for their new website. Overall I had a very wonderful working experience with people in this company.

Volunteer Experience

My typical day involved preparing foods and packaging and I learned a lot from other Volunteers while volunteering for Salvation Army. We served food at a the same time everyday for a lot of people. The hardest part of the job was interacting with customers with bad temperaments. The most enjoyable part about this was giving back to the community and I love volunteering.

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement