The Salvation Army logo
The Salvation Army

The Salvation Army Employee Reviews in Vancouver, BC

Found 35 reviews matching the searchSee all 14,526 reviews

Productive, Poor-Management

I had a lot of up and down at Salvation Army. The staffs are nice; however, the manager doesn't seem to know how to manage the store properly as I find their behaviors are quite poor at times.

Did Christmas kettles. I was servicing a purpose.

Salvation Army is an excellent place to work both as a paid employee (Christmas kettles, they paying me helped me to make it through the Christmas holidays as I was struggling financially.) and as a volunteer in the North Shore playing the piano and serving food in the downtown eastside on the street and at Harbour Light as well.

You need to have strong morals, and stick to them, or find another job.

Not a place you want to make a career out of. As a learning curve and to gain experience. Short term recommended. The politics will drive you crazy...If it's misery 24 7 you are looking for, it's day and night...

Belkin House

This is my experience as a shelter worker only. I highly recommend working at Belkin House. The shelter is high barrier and management there is really good.

unfriendly, unprofessional, micromanaging, strict, hard to please staff & management

I would arrive at 8am each day, and was told how to set up programs, what tables and chairs had to be used, and what materials I needed. I had ZERO say, or creativity in this job, and felt un-trusted as I was micromanaged daily. The staff are very cliquey and it was hard to talk to staff. The management walked around with their noses turned up, not seeming to care about my ideas, questions, or concerns. ALL the managers are very difficult to work with and I do not wish this upon anyone. I could feel the tension during my interview, but still decided to take the job. The only thing I gained was a backbone.

Great culture, No stress

Great company built on Christian fundamentals. I was a volunteer so i got to work in the kitchen. Very good people. Hardest part was lots of dishes. Easy job.

Pros

Good People

Work Fulfillment

Work place is very well supported and can support their clients with many aspects of their lives. They are a very well oiled machine that could do much more if they were entrusted with more access to the supplies that they need as well as the finances.

i had fun working for salvation army because we help a lot of people and my co-workers there are good people.The management is awesome and they know what they are doing.

I've only just begun working here, however, I have only been met with the nicest people and the warmest residents. This line of work can be tough however everyone is so kind and willing to help.

rewarding

meeting and assisting the colorful diverse people of the DTES was an incredible life altering experience. I learned that even when life deals some terrible hands its all in perception and what you do with it.

Pros

food

Cons

politics

Jobs at The Salvation Army

in Vancouver, BC
See more jobs

Success stories of men recovering finding God and recovery

The hardest part of the job is somebody passing due to addiction. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing God at work in someone's heart and watching the change of heart and life.

Pros

Being able to be of service.

Cons

Not being able to help everyone find hope freedom and God.

Fast paced setting

Never a dull day since you get to meet and help so many interesting characters. I found that I became a more accepting person by working there since the people you meet there come from all walks of life.

Pros

Great discounts on all merchandise

Cons

Physically draining job at times

Work review

Very nice and very friendly workers. It is really fast paced and requires a lot of focus on the job. I got to help the homeless out who are in need. So yeah very satisfying.

Enjoyed customer interaction

Enjoyed serving customers. Learned about signage display. Learned about designers. Typical work day: pricing, checking quality of donatedmerchandise

Benefits

Cons

Bad location

It was fun

I volunteered there every once in a while and I helped out the poor. I gave them food and help the soup kitchen make the foods necessary, and help with the clean up and handing them out.

Attitude Of Gratitude

I am forever grateful to the Salvation Army, they opened their arms to me while I was sick,homeless, on My last legs.......God Bless Everyone associated with S.A.

great work helping people

too much gossip and competitiveness...really no room to move up and the turn over rate is unbelievable ...the administrative assistant is absolutely the best and and the older staff is phenomenal...the new staff has made it a very challenging place to work

Taking photographs of events, landscapes, member's portraits

A very loving, trustworthy and friendly environment. I've done the Thanksgiving event, member's portraits and beautiful city landscapes for their new website. Overall I had a very wonderful working experience with people in this company.

Volunteer Experience

My typical day involved preparing foods and packaging and I learned a lot from other Volunteers while volunteering for Salvation Army. We served food at a the same time everyday for a lot of people. The hardest part of the job was interacting with customers with bad temperaments. The most enjoyable part about this was giving back to the community and I love volunteering.

Tough spot to work

The nature of the work itself is difficult and high-stress by definition, working with individuals facing mental health and addiction problems. Management does not do enough to protect employees, regularly understaffing shifts in high risk locales and skimping on security costs. Internal politics are rather naked to a degree approaching absurdity, with management promoting/hiring personal friends or even romantic partners ahead of more qualified candidates. For full time or permanent employees the benefits plan is quite generous with vacation allowances, RRSP contributions and an extensive health plan. Pay is quite low for the field, however. Communication between frontline and management staff is poor with a veneer of mutual disdain, concerns (especially regarding morale and safety) are rarely heard or shown much respect. Some management staff directly supervising floor staff buck that trend and are reasonable to work with. The culture of the "floor" employees is quite good and mutually supportive. Even where personalities clash there is the expectation that people shoulder the work equally and back each other up in a crisis. Job security is very good for those who obtain permanent status. Those who would be satisfied with the work conditions would reasonably be able to spend years working there.

Pros

Decent benefits plan and vacation, coworkers are supportive

Cons

Safety issues, industry low pay, management has little regard for frontline staff

Great work culture and challenging

A day at work is challenging when working with vulnerable clients but the support and encouragement from the team is commendable. The hardest part of the job is leaving work at work and disconnecting when you get home. The most enjoyable part of the job is making connections with clients and seeing progress in the work we do.

6.2K