The Salvation Army

The Salvation Army Employee Reviews in Toronto, ON

Toronto, ON166 reviews

Found 166 reviews matching the searchSee all 15,073 reviews
armydonationvolunteerthriftkettlesortinghomelesscommunity

High expectations for hygiene, unfair pay to supply

Salvation Army gives people opportunities to work. However, the salary rate is very low, especially supply staff do not get pay $2 PWE for all the hours which they supposed to get, even though staff with children ( ratios). Not treating fairly. No opportunity to get full time position.

Pros

Working hard

Cons

PWE is not paying to staff according to hours working with children.

Broken Promises

Hired as a remote worker and was told that it's going to be on site on Day 1. Continued working alone with most of the coworkers working from home but did not get what I was promised eventually and found a better job. Thanks to SA

Insights into The Salvation Army

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging

Rewarding entry level work

The Salvation Army is great entry level work for those seeking experience in the social services. You will be met with a mostly kind and welcoming atmosphere as long as you are respectful of the religious nature of the organization. Management is usually very supportive and understanding. Clients are also very diverse and great to work with. The only negatives is the pay is quite low and hours are usually part time. It's hard to make a living working there.

Bad

ALot of disperpect,bullying and favoritism, unsafe forklift operation, no support from management or colleagues. Only positive is flexible vacation and days off.

Fulfillment and spiritual growth

I love helping people and seeing the smiles on their faces. The exposure to ministry has made my relationship with God even better. My fulfillment comes from more than just money and things.

Not great, high burn out

Front line staff are usually great, but management is often terrible. Lack of support, lots of guilting, very little pay. Revolving door or people, they burn up employees.

Toxic management

Don’t even bother applying to work for this organization. My mental health deteriorated working at this organization. Management doesn’t care about you and frontline is treated poorly. A very classist system if you don’t have a high ranking title you are basically treated like a second class person…like you don’t matter. This so called Christian organization didn’t follow any Christian principles in regards to how they treated their employees.

Pros

Some nice clients

Cons

Poor management, paid poorly, stressful work

It's a good place to start a career but not much room for advancement

Low pay, heavy drama between coworkers, management is overworked, some homes are good others toxic.Overall it's an ok place to work if you work with the right people

Pros

Flexible scheduling and a good place to begin a career

Cons

Low pay and no room for advancement

I enjoyed this role

I enjoyed working for salvation army. A good group of colleagues and a highly supportive environment from colleagues and management. I would work there again!

Pros

Support

Cons

Very rigid in some ways

Do Not Work Here

Management is terrible no one listens and everyone gossips, not trained properly, work culture is toxic, hi level stress job with very little pay, not worth the headache

Pros

Cons

the pay and stress

Frriendly team

Feel like working at home . Great team who Help each other . Easy job . Perfect duty time . Delivery is to other branches of salvation army which makes Delivery more easy .

Pros

Perfect place to work

Fun work place in the beginning!

Booth has changed management so many times with so many different working styles, found it to be stressful, inconsistent, slave drivers, no work life balance.

Pros

Free lunches only during training sessions internally.

Cons

Management now very opinionated and don’t listen to staff for input regarding program.

Great experience

I was very satisfied working at Salvation Army. Everyone was supportive, kind and helpful. I felt valued and respected as an employee and I would highly recommend anyone to work there.

Thanks

Thanks again my experience was great there the staff were nice the intake were all different. I like how they take care of their community with warm arm warm meals and alway a helping hand

salvation army

Great place to work and the staff and management is always supporting you. Everyone is accepted as they are and who they are.Salvation Army accepts everyone and understands that there can be bumps in the road and they will help you to the best of their ability whether it be resources or people to assist you.

Pros

the staff

Cons

It really was a fun place to work

it was a decent place to work ( houskeeping) Little bit of drama for the long term staff but over all it was alright the only problem was when I caught bed bugs the company could not help me (pay) for pest control so I had to quit and thank God I did soon my whole family has been tortured infested with bed bugs. If they wanted to keep the staff they should help them when they catch bed bugs from there facilities. I will never ever work at any shelter ever again I tried my best to prevent it and it still happened

Pros

free lunchs pay went up fast

Cons

bed bugs roaches bugs you never seen DRUGS smells

Great place to work if you are new to the field and looking a pathway to other social services.

Upper management does not care about frontline workers. There is no union at this location and management does not like staff talking about union. If you do, you are scrutinize or given the cold shoulder. Also the staffing environment is very toxic. Some staff display discrimination towards others and do a lot of gossiping.

Pros

Connect with community members and residents we serve

Cons

Long hours, cheap wage

Supportive

In my position I spent much of my time on a one to one basis and working with other groups. as well as trying to find alternatives for the offender. It is a patient position.

Fast-paced and toxic work environment

Fast-paced, a lot of duties that can be easily completed within a day. Learned to work under pressure and with a team. Management is unfair and do not take the best interest of their employees in mind. The work place culture is toxic at times and a lot of work place politics comes into play. The hardest part of the job is working with unmanageable residents and lazy staff. The most enjoyable part is working alone.

Pros

working alone

Cons

almost everything

Warehouse worker and driver

I have experience in warehouse working environment and delivery (clean driver abstract). Hard working and serious. I am available to work full time. I am flexible for shifts.

nice place to work

team spirit and support, nice to work there,need a full time hours employment, after working five years, need good work benefits to part time workers

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement