The Salvation Army logo
The Salvation Army

The Salvation Army Employee Reviews in Toronto, ON

Found 156 reviews matching the searchSee all 14,526 reviews

Fun work place in the beginning!

Booth has changed management so many times with so many different working styles, found it to be stressful, inconsistent, slave drivers, no work life balance.

Pros

Free lunches only during training sessions internally.

Cons

Management now very opinionated and don’t listen to staff for input regarding program.

Frriendly team

Feel like working at home . Great team who Help each other . Easy job . Perfect duty time . Delivery is to other branches of salvation army which makes Delivery more easy .

Pros

Perfect place to work

Great experience

I was very satisfied working at Salvation Army. Everyone was supportive, kind and helpful. I felt valued and respected as an employee and I would highly recommend anyone to work there.

Thanks

Thanks again my experience was great there the staff were nice the intake were all different. I like how they take care of their community with warm arm warm meals and alway a helping hand

salvation army

Great place to work and the staff and management is always supporting you. Everyone is accepted as they are and who they are.Salvation Army accepts everyone and understands that there can be bumps in the road and they will help you to the best of their ability whether it be resources or people to assist you.

Pros

the staff

Cons

It really was a fun place to work

it was a decent place to work ( houskeeping) Little bit of drama for the long term staff but over all it was alright the only problem was when I caught bed bugs the company could not help me (pay) for pest control so I had to quit and thank God I did soon my whole family has been tortured infested with bed bugs. If they wanted to keep the staff they should help them when they catch bed bugs from there facilities. I will never ever work at any shelter ever again I tried my best to prevent it and it still happened

Pros

free lunchs pay went up fast

Cons

bed bugs roaches bugs you never seen DRUGS smells

Great place to work if you are new to the field and looking a pathway to other social services.

Upper management does not care about frontline workers. There is no union at this location and management does not like staff talking about union. If you do, you are scrutinize or given the cold shoulder. Also the staffing environment is very toxic. Some staff display discrimination towards others and do a lot of gossiping.

Pros

Connect with community members and residents we serve

Cons

Long hours, cheap wage

Supportive

In my position I spent much of my time on a one to one basis and working with other groups. as well as trying to find alternatives for the offender. It is a patient position.

Fast-paced and toxic work environment

Fast-paced, a lot of duties that can be easily completed within a day. Learned to work under pressure and with a team. Management is unfair and do not take the best interest of their employees in mind. The work place culture is toxic at times and a lot of work place politics comes into play. The hardest part of the job is working with unmanageable residents and lazy staff. The most enjoyable part is working alone.

Pros

working alone

Cons

almost everything

Warehouse worker and driver

I have experience in warehouse working environment and delivery (clean driver abstract). Hard working and serious. I am available to work full time. I am flexible for shifts.

Jobs at The Salvation Army

in Toronto, ON
See more jobs

nice place to work

team spirit and support, nice to work there,need a full time hours employment, after working five years, need good work benefits to part time workers

Its a fun place to work

The most enjoyable part of working here is putting a smile on peoples faces through a nice free breakfast and lunch hence giving hope every single day.

good environment

gOOD eNVIRONMENT FROM ALL dEPARTMENT nice place to work respectful, good working condition hours to work are very good Location is good at Laird in the east end of Toronto

Well professional place to work

Management are good and well collaboration in job. Professional setting. And supervisor is well experienced and respectfully. A working environment where there is a fast of growth among staffs.

busy, unorganized, liked helping customers

Fast pace job very dusty, organize clothing, hanging clothing , customer service, how to relate to all different people and help find what they needed

Perfect

Good environment for working and you gathering more knowledge of how to work with people of different ethnic groups. The most enjoyable part the job is self supervision.

Christmas Food Drive

Working there was a pleasure, even tho I was working for my community hours the experience was amazing, and the staff was super helpful and caring, and the costumes were very satisfied with my work.

Residential worker

Worked in one of their group homes with people with disabilities. Very rewarding experience. But often witnessed some senior staff members yelling, pushing the residents to do certain things because the residents were 'taking too much time', 'slow', 'indecisive', 'acting up' etc. Lots of gossip, racialized drama and politics among the frontline workers which made the work stressful.

Fun place

The place is full of caring people who look at the best in people. It is somewhere where friendships can be made and a lot of life lessons can be learned.

loving and fun

-excellent -learnt how to cook and how to prepare the food store -so loving -i enjoyed every moment in there -having interactions with homeless people

Harbour Light, Salvation Army (Not the best place to work at)

The work is stressful and the pay is not enough to cover for monthly expenses in a city such as Toronto. Do not ask for a wage increase because they would give you 36 cents per year; this is a slap in your face for the great work you do but cant afford to buy food. Good luck trying to move up the ladder (98% of the time, you need to be White to move up as a Counsellor). The organization, management and HR are all racist but do not admit it

6.2K