The Salvation Army

The Salvation Army Employee Reviews in Thunder Bay, ON

Found 18 reviews matching the searchSee all 14,552 reviews

Salvation Army

Working at the Salvation Army is a fast paced highly competitive work environment. Once trained you are expected to work independently and neatly. You must have an and acceptance of all walks of life . Making daily quotas can be very challenging but doable. I enjoyed working with the customers and staff . Management was easy to get on with but trusted you were up for the tasks given

The WORST place to work

Absolutely awful in every way possible. Back-stabbing managemen along with self-righteous and condescending attitudwes made working there a nightmare. Poor pay and poor conditions.

Pros

non

Cons

too many to mention

great honest work enviorment

Throughout my employment with the salvation army they are very willing and able to train you to be the best at your position. the managers are thoughtful caring people who will guide you on the right path.

Good place bad manager

I had a lot of fun working there but the manager and supervisor were not the best and I was very dissapointed with the way they treated me, they were unfair and not good at on the job training my first day they just sent me out without telling me what to do

Extremely overwhelmed

It’s a fast-paced environment and extremely busy. Don’t pay well because we risk our lives in looking after 40+ males and some have mental health issues and unpredictable.

Pros

Residents can teach you stuff, good breaks

Cons

Fast-paced, one worker sometimes, long hours not enough pay

Diverse work staff

I worked at Salvation Army in Thunder Bay for over a year, it had a diverse staff of different backgrounds and good management. Though I was only part time the benefits of the job were good.

very rewarding

My job with the Salvation Army was a variety of jobs combined into one. I did really enjoy the fact that most of the money the company made was staying locally in the community. My jobs with them were sorting clothes, pricing a variety of items & all taking incoming donations.

Pros

great people

Chaos and mayham

Dealing with disrespectful clientele.having management not back you up.training:baptizm by fire...low pay for high expectations.cultish atmosphere.high employee turn around

I love working here

Sometimes extremely busy, but so rewarding at the same time. Work at a homeless shelter if you want to be changed from the inside out. I am so thankful for all things now. I take nothing for granted. It's a fun place to work, staff is awesome and supportive.

Pros

Home Cooked Meals for a very low price to staff, excellent coworkers

Cons

dangerous at times, not enough staff on weekends and at night

faith based church and social services agency

work within a strong Christian based environment that is non-judgmental and open to all people, upholds a Biblical perspective, work with all ages, in a variety of ways

Jobs at The Salvation Army

in Thunder Bay, ON
See more jobs

Nice place to volunteer

I volunteered here once a year with my dad for the thanksgiving dinner when I was there the people were polite and respectful. I served and prepped the food.

Fun and productive

I liked working here because it was fun getting to know employees who are very respectful to one another. I also learned how to think critically while communicating with my coworkers and clients. I have learned about different resources and where to refer clients to services that fit their needs.

It was a good day to volenteer there. Ive learned how to cook and serve.The most hardest part was trying to co-opperate with some different people. But the good part was that you can help out with the homeless and poeple who didn't get to eat

Pros

Free lunches

Cons

always will love the sally

Great place to work, with amazing employees and management. always loved working on tills and talking with all the customers.

productive yet challenging fun workplace

a very challenging position, quotas and budgets had to be met learned to motivate, organize, deligate people best for a position training staff for a variety of positions so we could place any person in any area of store was difficult customer service and motivating was the most enjoyable

Pros

working with people, great hours

Cons

very physical

Great way to help those in need.

Management was lackluster, but other co-workers were helpful and friendly. Most of the clients were respectful with the exception of the few.

Pros

good feeling helping others.

Cons

very thought to move up.

Lovable People, Lovable Place

Working at the Sally, you're immediately taught that all customers are to be called "guests". You learn quickly that this has a purpose. During my summer student position this past summer, I felt that I was working at a place of love and friendship where each and every person who walks through the door was treated with the respect any good host would give a guest in his or her house.A day of work varied depending on your assignment for the day, as well as when you began your shift. Some days would be tagging the clothes sent in. Others would be sorting the donations into different bins, while someone else would be hanging clothes and another rifling through boxes of "brickerbrack". If you were on the floor (my favourite position) you would be at the register tending to guests or tidying up and putting away clothing racks brought out.The managers were lovely. By the time I finished my position, I felt I had inherited four or five aunts. My co-workers were the same. It truly was a family, one where every person was supported and loved through every life event. I felt comfortable working and laughing with all of my co-workers and was truly sad to leave them at the end of the summer.The hardest part of the job was having to explain certain policies to guests, or dealing with others who were perhaps not pleased with the prices on certain items.The most enjoyable part, however, was building solid working relationships with the regular guests who came into our shop (some daily). These people became as much of a part of my job as my co-workers and managers did. They would always -

Pros

treats on long days, bonuses for being over-budget, lovable company, awesome staff discounts on awesome items

Cons

long hours on your feet, dusty working conditions (due to donated clothes), poor music selection played over speakers ;)

A feel good place to work very rewarding for myself and others.

As a case worker my job is to advicate for the homeless, offer them a cleam bed and three meals a day while working on finding them a place to live. Connecting the resident to different agency;s for services they need. Detailed charting of each person, and doing programming for person who are in need of this. My co-workers aare very supportive and behind you at all times. The hardest part of my job is to not show sympathy for the residents. The enjoyable part of my job is when you connect with the resident and the services I am trying to put is place happens.

Pros

i feel grateful to this organization for treating mankind equal.

Cons

cons is when you just cannot connect or help someone

6.2K