The Salvation Army

The Salvation Army Employee Reviews in Ottawa, ON

Ottawa, ON54 reviews

Found 54 reviews matching the searchSee all 15,073 reviews
armydonationvolunteerthriftkettlesortinghomelesscommunity

Work isn't too demanding except when there aren't enough employees.

Your experience of this place will completely depend on the how good the management is. Coworkers come and go and you're going to have to deal with people same way you'd deal with at any other retail store.

Pros

Flexible scheduling

Cons

Lack of planning from management

It’s ok… I guess

At my current place of employment there is not much to do. I get paid to sit around and socialize with the residents so I guess it’s an ok job for those looking for an easy one

Insights into The Salvation Army

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging

Good for income supplementation

Although I value The Salvation Army's mission and the fact that they are a Christian organization dedicated to raising funds for the less fortunate in communities across Canada and around the world, I often found this position lacking in adequate intellectual stimulation and I felt my work there was underappreciated.

I wouldn’t recommend working here at all they do not value their workers at all.

Not a good place to work at long term. Often times they would mistreat their employees and be extremely rude towards people over a simple humanly mistake.

Pros

-flexible hours

Cons

-manager would often cut shift and add shifts

Huge workload along with good support from management and co workers

The job is so busy with huge responsibilities. Management is quite understanding and co workers are supporting you most of the times. I would recommend this job to fully dedicated nurses.

Fun

It a good place just be understanding and helpful and try to be a flexible as possible they many convenient locations suck as malls Costco s and grocery store

Pros

Choice of location that works for u

Cons

Schedule mix up

Uninspired work environment

This is a money hungry organization. Head office is a mess, full of people who think they are better than the store employees because they sit at a desk all day so don’t expect to receive any basic respect. Store management is haphazard and if you do any work beyond your express responsibilities it will become an expectation. Managers pull new rules out of thin air. The job is mindless and there are decent benefits for full time employees. You accumulate sick days but are penalized for using them.

Pros

Paid sick days/vacation

Cons

Poor management and work environment

Fun place to work and you meet interesting personality.

The Salvation Army is a great organization. I know this because, I witness the wonderful smile in people face when they come to pick up Charismas Hamper.

Pros

lean something new

Cons

Limitation

Nice people there and helpful

Nice place to work at and help people out on Christmas. An they are nice people an they are helpful to and when you need help the people are there to and they are kind the stuff and friendly to .

fun work space

volunteering at salvation army is very interesting, I get to package food for the food bank and distributing it to people is interesting, I am happy I was able to put a smile on people's face.

Pros

free lunch

Cons

short hour

I would definitely not recommend working in this establishment. The great majority of Management are unprofessional bullies.

I worked at the Salvation Army Grace Manor in Ottawa and here is my experience.The place is a free for all when it comes to management. Management are allowed to stomp all over the hard working employees and even though there is a “so called Union,” employees have little to no human rights. I was a very diligent and hardworking employee and in return for this, my character was assassinated and I was accused of doing things I never did. If you care about yourself and your mental health, I suggest you get a job elsewhere! I’m very glad I did...

Seniority

Job offer is base on seniority. Full time is only 55hrs. Part time hours are 22hrs and 28hrs. You will need a second job to survive. Co-workers are awesome, management are awesome too.

Pros

Good Management

Cons

Seniority

Productive and great place to work at

Great place to work at, but needed to do better in scheduling jobs and paying attention to PSWs concerns they work really hard, raise pay will make them feel great!

An interesting place to work

A typical day had me collecting and washing dishes after every meal. I also had to clean the dining hall, kitchen and take out the the trash. I was also expected to do minor food prep. The staff who worked there made the job a lot of fun. The vast majority of the clients were very nice.

Pros

Free lunches

Cons

Dealing with people suffering from drug addictions

Nice place

Pretty relaxed in my opinion but really boring waiting and waiting at the kettle and sometimes your worker to pick your money up was late. Also it's rare people have money to give out. But had a lady give me a smoothie while working

Over all very demanding Job.,

Work at least 10 hours a day No pay extra hours... Consider manager duties Good benefits Not a good place to work Good people ( employees) Big budgets and no product

Volunteering here really helped escalate my knowledge on customer service. The staff were nice and showed the procedures and techniques to do the job efficiently.

Working with clients almost makes it worthwhile

The work environment is laid back, which can be good if you are working with independent, motivated co-workers. The clients are great to work with for the most part. The job can become difficult because opportunities for advancement are limited. The pay isn't very good, which means there is a lot of turn-over. This means constantly having to build working relationships that you know will soon end. It's alright, but you'll need a second job or to have a partner with a second income.

Nice work place to work

Have to genuinely have the heart for your fellow human beings knowing that as species, we are being influenced by so many things and importantly learn to develop skills to help you fulfill your dream.

It's a non profit organization who needed help.

My Mother had suffered from Alzheimer's Disease therefore I enjoyed assisting to help the mentally ill. Meal planning was at times challenging as we worked with donated food yet Id managed to plan, prepare and cook healthy, well balanced meals to the residents of the Ottawa Booth Centre shelter.

Pros

Assisted a not-for-profit agency

Cons

Sometimes I've had to break up fights between residents.

Great place to make a difference but co-workers can be a risk

Began working here and loved the job initially but then began to see the unfair expectations of work load between staff. Older staff that had been around for a long time had become lazy and regularly lied to management about completing work but it was never dealt with even when repeatedly brought up to management. Instead the staff who complained are disciplined and ostracised for speaking up. Otherwise if you are working with staff who are willing to try you can really help. Recent implementation of a referral list for street living individuals for housing services means you're the front line to help street living individuals return to housing. Great ability to connect with other front line agencies and services. Additionally, lots of driving at all hours and in all weather conditions which can also be stressful.

Pros

First line to help redirect homeless to housed

Cons

Inconsistent work load, some VERY quiet days some VERY busy

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement