The Salvation Army

Newmarket, ON8 reviews

Found 8 reviews matching the searchSee all 15,077 reviews
armydonationvolunteerthriftkettlesortinghomelesscommunity

Serves the Community Well

Salvation Army is a good charity and provides a lot of support to individuals in our local community. However, there are few advancement opportunities, no pay increases and very tough working conditions.

Depends on Management

This has the potential to be a great job. As long as you're happy being a bottom feeder, there's very little room to move up. In the end it all depends on the manager you get. I worked in Newmarket and the management was abysmal. It was the difference of being management's favourite person one day, and most hated the next. Favoritism was HEAVY in depending who got hours and who didn't based on arbitrary factors. There's a reason Salvation Army Newmarket is always "urgently hiring". In my 8 months there, 2 people were fired and 4 quit. One person even warned me about the environment in my first week. If you do get hired, God speed.

Cons

Mangement

Insights into The Salvation Army

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

Left very unhappy

In the beginning I was suppose to excited about working for this organization, I wish they gave there staff more support and a better wage. Staff work with a diverse population with complex diagnosis.

I work with a bunch of very nice people.

It is a fast paced environment, we're busy all day long. I get to work with a bunch of nice people. I also get to meet alot of nice people. No two days are ever the same. New experiences every day.. Always a new challenge.

Fun

It was a good experience, workers are very nice and open to teaching new volunteers or employees how to carry out certain tasks. Overall positive work environment

Fun workplace, met a lot of great people.

Waitressing at the Salvation Army Conference Centre was a great experience overall. I met a lot of great people including the groups that came in as well as my co workers. The hardest part of the job at times was trying to balance a life outside of work during the busy months. The best part of the job was the people, the work atmosphere and helping people everyday and making their experience there as enjoyable as possible.

Unenjoyable

Not a very clean place to be working at, I personally didn't enjoy it during my volunteer time there. The only upsides is that the company is very understanding during hard times

Pros

Great job experiaee

Cons

Not clean

clean work space

very nice new building, great place to start your social work career. good staff and a great daily plan for clients to get back on there feet and start a new.

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement