The Salvation Army

The Salvation Army Employee Reviews in Mississauga, ON

Mississauga, ON43 reviews

Found 43 reviews matching the searchSee all 15,069 reviews
armydonationvolunteerthriftkettlesortinghomelesscommunity

A supportive staff makes for a less stressful shift.

Organization is based on helping others. You must be able to maintain calm under duress. Most of the records are kept on paper as well as computerized, so there is much written records to keep track of.

Hard labour with poor pay

Coworkers are nice and helpful, but the management team really stinks. The manager is incredibly condescending and likes to talk down to people, and doesn't help when we need it. They aren't very well liked by staff due to their poor attitude. Assistant manager and supervisor are very scatter brained and freak out at the slightest things. Theres literally one supervisor who is actually chill and doesn't stress out. Everyone tells you to do things how they want, so you're left confused on what to actually do. They still want you to reach quota even if they're understaffed, and it's basically impossible. The lounge is small and incredibly dirty. They will try to keep you longer than what your contract says. A typical big corporation that doesn't want to give raises and is stingy. The staff discount also used to be 50%, and now it's 30%. They expect you to know how to do each position in the store regardless of what you were hired for, and you don't get trained properly. Management doesn't care about mental health either, so if you are uncomfortable doing something, well too bad.

Pros

That one nice supervisor, helpful nice coworkers, decent store discount, rrsp, vacation pay

Cons

No job advancement, no raise, dirty lounge, poor management, hard labor, extreme temperature conditions, dealing with erratic customers

Insights into The Salvation Army

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging

Not a good place

Would not recommend working at Salvation Army daycare in Mississauga on Cawthra road. You are paid unfairly. Your co workers does not treat you fairly

Pros

Awesome children

Cons

Treated unfairly

great

great place I just volunteered just was an interesting and fun company. Learned some new things and made some friends. Definitely would recommend working or volunteering there.

Human services and Arabic Translator to newcomes to Canada

Very nice people, the manager is so kind in dealing with us as and clients. I worked with this organization as volunteer of unpaid in order to get experiences in family and human services.

Won't pay you for the hours you worked

Upon hiring, they said they will pay me 30 hour weekly. Almost every other day I had to do about 2 hours extra. I also have use my own car delivering for them around 150km weekly... HR told me this is how they do things at Salvation Army. There is no reimbursement for anything. Preposterous.

Was not coached, and mislead.

From the beginning, everything seemed fine. The interview process went very well. The management seemed really friendly and down to earth. And once the position started it was pretty straight forward what was expected of me... Or so I thought. I continued on with my job day by day, getting along with customers and staff really well. I did my tasks as requested, and I asked questions if I was unsure of something. About a month in, I requested a meeting for coaching/review. This was for no particular reason other than just trying to make sure I had been satisfying my leaders. My boss assured me I was doing well and that we would sit down together soon enough. Another month passed and I brought it up again saying no need to rush but just checking in. Same response. (my reason for double asking was because 3 month probation end was coming). Well enter the 3 month mark, and they fire me. 3 months to the day. "We've decided you're not a good fit." As someone fighting with anxiety and mental health, this was the first job I had in my entire 28 year life where I felt comfortable and was without my demons. I went home sick 2 times due to not feeling well on new meds. And I made one mistake one time, which I was talked to about. And that was more just a learning moment, not a repercussion. There was absolutely no sign of me losing this job, even while I requested coaching that never came. Looking back, I feel like I was hired on so their long term staff could take their vacations. It seems many of the 'popular' staff went on vacation while I was there and -

Excellent organization to work for

Salvation Army is a place where you work and also contribute in your community. Total support from seniors and higher management. Lots of opportunity to learn and grow

Okay job, work with really nice employees usually

Staff drama and no advancement even after 5 years my salary didn’t change. Part timers have no job security or chance to advance . Brampton store manager was a major tyrant

hardworking but flexible

The Salvation Army team was helpful and dutiful, very understanding and encouraging of my college education and was able to work around my schedule. At times some customers could become verbally aggressive there was never a situation that became hostile.

Pros

paid vacations

Cons

strenuous work hours and clientele

Fun place to work

I always have a good time at work. Management take the time to hear you and if you’re having any problems. Fun/nice people to work with, customers are great.

Pros

Fun, caring, nice

Cons

Jobs can be tasking

An Friendly athmosphere

Nothing really much as a typical day at work but management and staff are friendly and the most I enjoyed about the job is that after your done you shift or during break time the stuff that people donate in order to sell you can play around them like maybe a toy and a sports ball and so do that staff play with you.

Pros

Cheap stuff you can buy things

Cons

Dirty place

I helped at the back sort the donations and organize the clothing.

Very nice place! The co-workers are really nice as well, and the place is really tidy. I enjoy talking to the customers and co-workers. Honestly, a fun place to be in.

Pros

Everything.

Cons

Nothing.

Great place to volunteer when i was getting my hours

It helped me gain a sense of what working in a workplace would be like, but also had a great atmosphere and wonderful people. Rolling out the basics of what a stock position would be like.

Awful

The staff is incredibly rude at the location I worked at, the managers were the definition of useless any serious situation that occurred with the customers the employees would be expected to take care of it the managers would refuse mainly because they didn't know how to deal with it.

Pros

literally nothing

Fast passed work environment!

high volume clients each with varying needs. the course of each shift is determined by how well the team works together each shift to communicate information and to handle client needs appropriately.

Pros

self managed most the time

Cons

can be a risky place when working with substance abuse or mental health

Salvation Army

I loved working there. The manager treated you like a friend. They dealt with all concerns appropriately. We got our pays on time. The staff was friendly and enjoyable to work with. It was a great environment. The only reason I had to stop working there was due to my illness.

Cons

Working with families. Provide temporary beds for family. Until they get back on their feets

Working in the shelter. Helps me see what other people is going through. I'm there welling to help these families get their life back on track. Answering the telephones doing intakes over the phone arranging for a room so the families can be some where safe and warm. The families also get food provided every day also. The shelter also provides resources like Ontario works.

Productive and great place to work.

The Salvation Army fosters learning and personal growth.The company is a great place to work.The environment is competitive and fast paced, Many opportunities to grow and train. I would recommend this workplace to others.

educative place

it was a good avenue to give back to the society in my own little way. I learned how to interact with customers better. The hardest part of the job was having to stand for long hours and having just short breaks. Overall, it was a good experience.

overall

Overall working at the salvation army thrift store as a cashier was good, the work was not hard and the workplace culture was nice, the management could be nicer, and more understanding.

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement