The Salvation Army

Langley, BC9 reviews

Found 9 reviews matching the searchSee all 15,073 reviews
armydonationvolunteerthriftkettlesortinghomelesscommunity

Salvation Army

Great place to volunteer in theory, lots to learn and experience. A little chaotic. Doing what you can to help people of the community who need it most is a very important position to hold, though hopefully more can be done in the future for those without a home, especially in winter months

Easygoing and laidback job with friendly regulars

During my time as a sales associate, my duties included things like changing out inventory, maintaining a tidy storefront, and interacting with customers. Management was fairly relaxed and it was generally a low-pressure job environment.

Insights into The Salvation Army

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging

Do not recommend

Did this job for 2 years until I burnt out. High staff turn over. VERY Poor management. No benefits for part time or casual workers. Pay is terrible. Also not a safe environment for guests or staff (high rate of incidence).

Pros

There were some cool staff but have all quit now

You'll learn a lot

A great place to get a start in homelessness services. Lots of training provided, and you gain experience quickly, so it can be a great stepping stone. Management is at times very supportive, and at other times you really have to advocate for yourself if you feel uncomfortable or unsafe. Overall they really care about people.

Pros

Lots of paid training if you want it, one free meal per shift.

Cons

Not a lot of room to move up within the company.

Fun volunteering with friendly people

It was on Sundays when I did this and I went with somebody to make it more enjoyable. The environment was welcoming and well kept. The head cook gave direction on cooking. When service came it was open for an hour and we cleaned and left.

Pros

Free lunch

Productive place

It was a great place to work at. I was able to do alot of different roles within the kitchen such as a server, prep cook, dishwasher and actually making the food beside the main chef. I had learned many things about how kitchens are run by and were taught various lessons from the staff there in order to maintain the tidiness of the place that I was at.

Good culture and people

Fun to work, very good culture and spirit but it is not a place to make money. For some people it is a life changing environment. Many volunteers work here and all employees encouraged to volunteer.

Pros

lots of good stuff to learn

Cons

underpaid

fun volunteer experience

working at salvation army was a great experience. it was my first volunteer position where I learnt to communicate, and be aware of my surroundings. it was an opportunity where I felt like I was doing something right, and it made me feel good,

More opportunity to learn new things.

Production and sales target, Team work, Responsibility, daily sales report, key responsibility, Management is quite understanding and good. The CO-WORKERS are fun ,understanding, and knowledgeable. The work is really not that much hard. Busy days with lots off customers.

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement