The Salvation Army

The Salvation Army Employee Reviews in Kingston, ON

Found 17 reviews matching the searchSee all 14,552 reviews

Great for learning to interact with the public

I stood at an agreed upon location, being responsible for a Salvation Army kettle. My responsibility was to be polite and courteous to the public, representing the Army well. As people made donations, I thanked them, and in some cases discussed how they could be eligible for a tax receipt.

Poor pkace to work

While on the surface they appear to be genuine but in reality they are more concerned about money than people. While they claim to be a Christian organization the actions and attitude do not reflect that in any way. Placing non Christians in positions where they are having to pretend to have a faith is very troubling.

Pros

Non

Cons

Long hours no appreciation

Volunteer work

Is there no other way to get through this site without having to write reviews that are not even applicable. This is a complete waste of time and there should be a way to opt out

Respectful and Determined Team

the team I worked with at salvation army were so respectful to me and the customers at the salvation army. they taught me how to do things, or even taught to how to improve some skills which was very helpful. the team was also very determined to get everything done and get as much as as possible in a days time without the feelings od stress and frustration.

Great Place

Wonderful experience. An excellent opportunity to meet great people, serve others and make a difference. This is a community based charity outreach program.

Great Place, sorry I left.

it could be stressful but a great place to work. you were given the opportunely to learn and grow. there was always room for advancement. I am sorry I left

Pros

Great place

Cons

Stressful

i did not like it

i did not like volunteering for salvation army because i didnt like the people and/or "customers" that hung around they always were unpredictable i just didnt feel safe.

cook and help

you work as a team and you make a lot of friends it can be a lot of fun and a lot of work. you are on your feet a lot and meet a lot of people and you can take class with them to move up in your job

A very knowledgalbe and exciting place to work and learn.

This company, especially this district, was run exceptionally well. The people within the company clearly cared for their clients and did everything within their power to aid them i whatever they needed. The amount of variety within this small place was astounding to me. Arriving thinking that I was going to be doing just one thing and to find there were at least four sometimes five different positions that I would fill was amazing. Learning bits and pieces of every new position I tried really helped to further my knowledge of the Salvation Army as well as the need for services in cities no matter how large or small. The professionalism displayed during my stay was also commendable. Despite my inexperience in many fields offered the workers took their time to educate me and when I needed help they calmly showed me what to do without exasperation or condescension. An excellent place for anyone to work, especially for an up and comer in the social service fields.

Pros

Phenominal environment

Cons

A lot of on the spot learning

Very enjoyable workplace

Staff was very pleasant and kind, also very helpful for any beginners with questions. Management was very understanding of any personal issues that may impact working ability, and also very accommodating for that.

Jobs at The Salvation Army

in Kingston, ON
See more jobs

Very humble volunteering position but lackluster

A typical day mostly consisted of setting up at a public location with the kettle and standing with a happy smile to greet those willing to donate. I learned how to communicate with complete strangers efficiently. The job was quite dull as there were no other staff or volunteers with you or in the immediate area as I believe co-workers positive energies can greatly benefit your work etiquette.

Pros

Donations went towards a good cause

Cons

Quite dull being the only volunteer on location

Excellent Place to Worship and Work!

The Salvation Army Rideau Heights Corps is very warm and friendly. The Word of God is preached there. Many people are helped spiritually and physically. We enjoy the love of the Lord there. Everbody can do something.

Working in the backroom at Salvation Army Thrift Store

For the most part business as usual , lots of donations and mostly regular customers . I learned people will buy almost anything if priced accordingly .The management were very easy to get along with, and enjoyed hearing our input on ways to improve sales .A small group of employees , that all worked as a group very well to meet productivity and serve customers to the best of their ability .The hardest part was trying to tell people that the prices were set and could not be lowered , knowing that they could not afford the item .I enjoyed finding unique items and meeting customers and finding out their intrest .

Pros

Full benifits at start of employment

Cons

Dealing with violent customers

full time work

low pay, full time work at office hours. no chance of advancement or raises. Religious environment. good people to work with mostly. a lot of paper work and red tape

Good experience

I only volunteered to help take care of younger children while their parents were in the worship service, but the people in the church are very welcoming and while I myself am not really religious, they never made you feel bad about your opinions, life style choices, etc. Very nice people, will accept you with open arms, always looking for volunteers for various things. I'm sure there are actual job positions within the church but I think you need to be an officer (I think they're called) in order to do this.

Great Place to work!

A typical day required a lot of collaboration and teamwork with the other staff members. I would present the activities that I came prepared with. The other staff member and I would organize a day that was fun, productive and challenging for the children. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people, and growing close relationships with the children and staff. The hardest part of the job would have to be seeing the children have a tough day. However, from this, I learned that all children are different and unique in their own way.

Pros

Meeting new people

Cons

Having to say goodbye to the children at the end of the summer

This is a nessary Job as The store wants to be a good neighbour.

Many People now feel that stores should run 7 days a week and 12 hours a day. When the store is closed we get a lot of donations that are garbage. People drop items off and could be subject to a fine of up to $5,000. They also drop off items that are garbage to save them dumping fees.

Pros

being usfull and a good neighbour.

Cons

work in all conditions.

6.2K