The Salvation Army

Hamilton, ON47 reviews

Found 47 reviews matching the searchSee all 15,070 reviews
armydonationvolunteerthriftkettlesortinghomelesscommunity

Nice people

The people you serve and work with make it worth it but the pay and the type of work did not really match always, a lot more psw work than expected and it’s difficult to see when inconsistencies in staffing interfered with clients care

It is a place where the men clients have more rights then the workers

The men clients can do alot of bad things and the workers are disciplined more harshly. When issues are brought up management will either ignore it or quickly make you feel you are part of the problem. Iy was not the client, but it was your fault always. The general working conditions are terrible and when asking for different things being told it can be bought because of tight budgets.

Pros

Free lunch if given the time to eat

Cons

Always on the go

Insights into The Salvation Army

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging

Not worth your time or consideration.

Trust me. Straight up garbage fire. You are just a number. It will break your heart. They are so desperate for employees that they hire people with no experience. You are expected to work long hours. Many staff members are on stress leave. Management does everything to not do their job or help out staff.

Pros

Clients

Cons

Everything else.

Salary needs to be increased. It was a great experience and I would like to be re hired

I would love to be apart of the team again. I would like to be re hired, it was an awesome experience. The team was extremely organized and coordinated well

Pros

Excellent

Cons

Other

fun relaxed store

I have been trained in many different areas of operation at the Thrift Store. This keeps me interested. I enjoy helping the customers as well as sorting donations.

Excellent job to self reflect

it was amazing to work with the Salvation Army . It gave me the opportunity to collect donations from individuals to help those in need . It helped me realize that even if you have just a little bit of money o,food or any help that you can provide to those who need it, you make yourself a better person

Intake/Residential Worker

Very friendly environment. Management is there when you need them. Equal opportunity. It’s a great place to gain valuable experience in mental health and addiction. Learning the program is pretty easy, but you need to know how to multi task in this position. Time goes fast and there is always someone there to help if you need it.

college placement

I was really happy to be a part of this amazing organization even though it was for a short time During my Social service worker program at Mohawk . The staff here are very professional and welcoming.

I liked my job

I would be more than happy to reiterate my experience working at the Salvation Army in person in an interview. My departure had absolutely nothing to do with my lack of skills or abiity to perform the job well.

DO not work for SALMH

-Management sucks they do not support staff -Shift supervisor in SIL has no idea what they are doing , very unprofessional and disrespectful -the lack of supports for clients from a program manager or DOS is insane, they put on a front like they care but never make any changes or find any solutions to fix problems -they will use and then spit you out till no longer needed -mentally exhausting

Keep Looking

Lawson Ministries will literally suck the life out of your soul. There’s a reason this agency always has postings available. No one wants to stay. Management will act like they care about you, it’s all pretend. Countless staff that already work here are questionable to say the least, toxic work environment, very cliquey. A lot of favouritism goes on with management and staff. The only good thing about working here is the clients but honestly, you don’t get paid enough for what you deal with. This place makes me sick.

Rewarded

The job done here for those using the services are sometimes challenging but it's a rewarding feeling at the end. Colleagues are quick to assist you if necessary. Small but *impactful* group.

Give spirirtal guidence and compassion to clients in crises

encounter client that in crises is the everyday . I feel that if your treat people with respect that will make their day a little better. I learn a lot about people with mental heath and how to see how to deescalate and provide a alternative for them .the work place culture is relatively a fast pace. management is pretty good. The hardest is seeing clients at their lowest point in their life. The most enjoyable is seeing them acreage to

Non Profit Volunteering

Very relaxed and slow paced. Sometimes barely did anything except walk around to try and find something to do. This was only a non profit volunteering position.

It's a great place to work

Everyone is kind to one another and everything goes to people who don't have the money for food clothes or health care. It is alot of work but is worth it

Salvation Army

Volunteering for the Salvation Army was a lot of fun, met a lot of new and interesting people while with them my overall experience with them was a good one I enjoy helping others.

Great place to learn and Grow

I loved this job and would have stayed forever, the only drawback was having the feeling that you would not be able to advance within the agency. Also, there is no real model of harm reduction and in this job the agency should (due to the population in which they serve) have a model of harm reduction. Overall a great place to work and I would recommend it.

Educational

Helping people was the main part of the job. Coming in for food donations. I sorted out the donations in the back and distributed them to the clients. General cleanup was also expected. Management was great. Satisfying helping people less fortunate.

Pros

helping people

Cons

volunteer

Look Elsewhere

Hamilton Locations: Management are a nightmare, unprofessional & unethical (ESPECIALLY HR), staff are often overworked, clients are great but rarely come first - despite what they try to promote. Pay is decent enough - with benefits - Favouritism is rampant, managers are burnt out - and Head office is terrible. Ask yourself - Why is this position ALWAYS AVAILABLE?? Simply put - turn around is high for a reason.

Pros

At least they offer benefits?

Cons

HR Dept

Nasty

This place is awful. If you enjoy wading through people’s kitchen garbage and nasty clothing, this is the job for you. Management sucks. DM has no idea what shes doing. There’s a lot of shady issues within the company. You never know what is in a bag when you open it. Used needles, garbage, feces etc.. It’s not worth your safety. You don’t get paid enough to deal woth that.

Pros

Management is a joke so you get away with eveeything

not a good experience

employee care was poor. management was always too busy to address any concerns, or stated they were not aware. Perhaps understaffed. Also workplace was unsafe at times and was still not addressed despite documented picture proof. working with cockroaches and bed bugs and no care to employees potentially taking them home.

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement