The Salvation Army logo
The Salvation Army

The Salvation Army Employee Reviews in Courtenay, BC

Found 8 reviews matching the searchSee all 14,526 reviews

An OK place to work with a lot of staff turn over

I either hang and price clothes or sort the donations. Since I have been there for a while, the new employees come to me for advice. The hardest part of the job is lifting the donations.

Benefits

A learning and growing environment.

The people are amazing to work with. Always a team effort. Learning n growing every day. I am honored to support, encourage, and inspire the most vulnerable in their journey of self discovery.

Pros

Being of service to others

Cons

Vicarious trauma and burn out.

Enjoyable easy workplace.

A typical day on cash would consist of a quick tidy up of the cash and entry ways and making sure bathroom is clean and sanitized. Check your board to make sure you know the sales of the day. Once Store is open you acknowledge customers, hang out clothing tidying as you go, check customers through til, do money/card transactions. Promote store by offering customer appreciation cards for further discount. Keep change rooms clean and tidy. End of day cash out and deposits. Interact with other employees to continue to build a team atmosphere.

Very diverse workplace

Typical duties include putting away clothing, shelving items, helping customers,and working with cash. All clothes are separated by gender, style, and colour.

Pros

Experience

Excellent supportive management

I completed my first practicum with Salvation Army and it was a very rich learning experience. I truly appreciate everything they do and the programs they supply -free of charge- to those people who are less fortunate and often marginalized within our society.

Love the people you work with. You make a difference in the community you work in. Lots of room for advancement. Great benefits.

Dynamic, Fluctuating Workplace

A typical day involves the receiving, sorting, and pricing of donations which can range from clothes, books and housewares, to furniture, mattresses, and dressers. The rate at which you work fluctuates often as it is almost entirely dependent on the amount of donations that are being received and the rate at which items are being sold. This requires a lot of adaptability and thinking on your toes, which may work for some, but not for others. The hardest part of this job is having to sort through all the garbage and useless junk that often comes with donations. The most enjoyable part of this job is definitely the satisfaction of having helped someone who was in need.

Pros

Helping those in need

Cons

Excessive garbage, sub-par management

amazing people

I spent two years as health and safety, the benefits have always been valuable. Every experience has enriched my life

6.2K