The Salvation Army

Calgary, AB46 reviews

Found 46 reviews matching the searchSee all 15,073 reviews
armydonationvolunteerthriftkettlesortinghomelesscommunity

Fast paced

If you are looking for somewhere always busy with lots of work. Hard work, get good shows or your back and feet will hurt (will hurt anyways but less) You end up doing more work than you get paid for.

No security guard in the business store hours

They management justified not to hire a security guard in the business store hours due the money is not enough to pay for.Moreover, they want you to. deal with homeless and people under drugs or alcohol, lift shopper without proper training which I was hired as CSR and not as a guard.

Pros

30 percent discount as an employee

Cons

stressful ambience when there were not guard in store hours

Insights into The Salvation Army

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging

I thought it was a great place to work. I liked my coworkers, my manager, I liked the atmosphere & the hours. I would definitely recommend The Salvation Army as a great place to work to anyone.

Pros

Friendly environment, good pace job

Cons

I want everything I see...

Coworkers/Manager

you're looking for a place to work then Salvation Army is not the place for you because during time there the supervisor is a tyrant because if you make one small mistake he will yell at you and make you feel like you are not apart the team. The coworkers will find anything and everything to complain about you despite the fact that you have more the complement on how great you're work is. If they think you're work is not good enough they will grab their is not good enough they will grab their cellphone and snap a photo to send it in to the supervisor. Gloria is one of those that will treat you like dirt if you're new. One new guy lasted 3 days after Akin the supervisor yelled at as his staff for no good reason.

Pros

Free food

Cons

Boss/coworkers

fun workplace

very friendly and cool manager and coworkers, only bad thing you have to deal with a lot of garbage between donations and lots a sketchy people . but it helped me with my communication skills and being at the cash register

Pros

discounts

Cons

customers

Good people good works

The work done by TSA is important and many people who work there are passionate about helping others. Sadly, some of the senior management team find it difficult to afford the same compassion to their colleagues that they have for those in the community they are helping. I love what they stand for and love the work they do, but rate them lower on the work life balance and high stress environment.

productive volunteer work

on going fast pace enjoyment of filling the needs and wishes of Calgary children around the holidays, creating happiness for the less fortunate children and families

Productive workplace serving the homeless

I like my job. I am a team Leader and have the opportunity to help both clients and my coworkers succeed. My mission is to serve others and working at the Salvation Army gives me a chance to fulfill this goal.

Pros

the people

Cons

stress from deaths in the facility

Not supportive of employees - management is fearful of staff progress and ideas

I was told, on my first day, to cover my behind in all things I do - I tried however, often forgot and had my hands slapped for things outside of my responsibility. Managers repetitively beat you up over long periods of time (not literally of course) if you've made an error. Especially if they cannot think of a new reason to reprimand you during your review. They come across as consistently supportive however, hold you back at the same time. Depending on the manager, they may take credit for your ideas. I would see this as fear. The company is supposed to be a Christian-based organization however, this, too, is not as expected. Staff treatment is highly inconsistent and turnover is very high. Management is more concerned with covering their own behinds than taking responsibility for their actions and building a progressive company by supporting their staff. Fear, fear, fear !

Decent job with high expectations

Very challenging job depending on which location you go to. By challenging I mean the expectations are high from the beginning. If you work at a more popular store, you are expected to reach higher numbers for sales production. Very easy interview and the people along while I worked there were great. The directing manager and store manager were tolerable. Assistant manager was rude. Supervisors were great

Way more work than wages

Driver will to do loading, unloading, stocking, inventory, delivery, merchandising, collecting food and cleaning ware house. All you will get $16.50 an hour.

Productive, fun and inclusive for everyone.

Everyone/anyone who works there is guaranteed to have a golden heart, and I am so thankful I worked with these wonderful individuals. They really helped me learn how to become a better person by working for the good of the community.

professional company until you get hired

a typical work day was working sorting, tagging and hanging items, what I learned is was how things operationed, MANAGEMENT well they need work and you do not hire good people and have no plan in place to use their skills, workplace culture is ok but everyone was happy most of the time, the hardest part of the job would being told what to do by everyone, there is no leader who has a plan so the confession continue, the best part of the job would be meeting new people.

Pros

50% off purchases

Cons

no leadership happening

Great Experience

Salvation Army had shown me a new way of life and helping me see people in need from a whole other perspective. I am very thankful for the opportunity that they had given me

Meeting needs but at the expense of staff

Judgemental upper management with high expectations of grossly under paid staff. Education provided thru Booth College is all most leaders and managers have -- not an accredited school -- and it shows. Too, for a culture that demands the life blood of its employees it is low on commendation and without praise entirely. They truly treat their clients over and above staff and are saturated with officers and cororals who trump highly educated or experienced workers based on army rank alone. Wage and benefits for part time staff is equivalent to minimum and yet standards and responsibilities are extreme. Sadly disappointed with this organization.

Pros

Meetimg human needs

Cons

Poor pay; zero benefits; over worked and impersonable managers.rs

Low pay and terrible treatment of employees

They are lowest paid on the non profit scale. They do not abide by labour laws. They focus on what you did wrong, rather than what accomplishments you have achieved while at work. They do not pay OT as per timesheets/ cards

Pros

Cons

Pay $3.00 for hot water from the kitchen

interesting and fun

Really fun talking to different people, getting to know the homeless population and seeing them go and pass ARP is a great thing. Helping them get to what they want is a blessing.

Pros

new people almost everyday

Cons

disrespect

Well organized non-profit organization.

Chances are to deal with all kinds of people, develop to control your temper, patience and try to work in accordance with their policies and procedure.

Pros

good benefits

Cons

prone to agitated clients

Company serves the community in many ways

Salvation Army helps and serves the community in many different ways. Very rewarding to be a part of it. The job is team oriented, fast paced, goal driven, and very very physical.

Pros

Being part of an amazing diversified team

Cons

Long Hours on Sale Days

communication is lacking

departments are encouraged not to interact. Lots of blame between departments. Upper management has favorite staff, treats other staff like children. HR department is one of the highlights of the facility, very easy to speek with.

productive and friendly at the workplace

A typical work day begins with enthusiasm and a smile always available to learn new things. To have a very good management in a work place is very important to me always ask if am not sure of any project or in a complicated work situation to find a very good solution in any difficult circumstance. The best thing about the job is enjoy the acquired achievements and the recognition by them.

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement