The Salvation Army logo
The Salvation Army

The Salvation Army Employee Reviews in Brampton, ON

Found 45 reviews matching the searchSee all 14,526 reviews

Team environment

I learned the various aspects of serving clients in a homeless shelter setting, the importance of confidentiality, counselling, and most especially, teamwork.

Pros

Free lunchs

Cons

Opportunity for growth based on Seniority

It was good

It was fine and the overall experience there was very accepting. I would recommend that a friend go there and volunteer for the compulsory 40 hours. It was good

Okay

Everything was okay. Management was okay, hours were fair and employees were given okay opportunities, no way too move up in company, usually set in stone what you do.

Volunteer

I volunteered at salvation are to make in impact in my life and in others. I wanted to help other kids in there day camp so I decided to volunteer at Salvation Army. It was a great experience.

Salvation Army

Salvation Army is a great place to get volunteer experience in high school, I would highly recommend going there. You get the chance to talk and learn from the employees about how they run everything and also you can learn from the homeless.

Good workplace

A typical day at Wilkinson includes doing intakes and helping clients with things such as giving them basic necessaties that Salvation Army provides for them, or things that get donated. Some days are slow and some days can be harder than others. Working at a homeless shelter is a real eyeopening experience, and good experince for those who want to become social workers. You are able to see the reality of things at this shelter, and barriers that you face with clients that sometimes prevent you from helping them. I would have to say the most enjoyable part of this job is being able to get along easily with the staff, and they are very helpful so always ask questions. It can be a very rewarding job, and some of the clients can be very nice and welcoming.

Pros

Rewarding job

Productive and Very Fun

My work at the Salvation Army is to take care of kids who have been exposed to abuse, injuries and all other horrifying things. Atypical day at work would be to play games with the kids at the gym and later on go outside to pick up litters from streets and nearby streets. The most enjoyable part of my volunteer is to see the kids that are slightly depressed and to see them trying their best to be happy and finally being with other kids that understand what they have gone through. The hardest part of volunteering here is that you see kids that have gone through abuses from their parents and you just want to go over to them and tell them that it would all be okay and the pain would disappear soon. Working at Salvation Army I have learnt that life is not all bed of roses and there would be tough times and time where you feel like everything is not going your way, but you have to get up and fight and strive hard and in the long run everything would work out fine and you hard work will pay off or not but it is still up to us to take what life has given us and make it into what me and the kids call a big bowl oy yummy cereal.

Productive work environment

Since I was only a volunteer, we did everything there except cashier work. From resupplying to product review. Overall the people who work their are very friendly and teach you to the best of their abilities.

Enjoyable Job

The job itself is very enjoyable. The hard part is dealing with the staff. A lot of staff are difficult to deal with due to their prejudices and biases. Any time I advocate for the youth, the staff become very toxic to deal with.

Pros

Excellent clients

Cons

Horrible staff

productive

it is a good place to work when you want to gain work experience and add to your resume. The job itself was repetitive but the environment was unique.

Jobs at The Salvation Army

in Brampton, ON
See more jobs

working there was pretty nice

I learned to stand on a long period of time, learn to deal with customers complaints. The most enjoyable part was when they were a lot of customer what kept me busy. The most hardest part was when there is nothing to do and you should be doing something except at the break.

hard work but helps commuinity

Hard work in the back room. very hot in the summer in back room and very cold in the backroom in the winter.It was satisfying and worth it only because you knew the community was being helped

Pros

you were allowed breaks whenever as long as work was done

Cons

no heat or air conditiong in the back room

thrift store

minimum wage salary with no benefits , hours are slim management is incompetent requesting 1 person for a 3 person job not very clean work environment

Volunteer at salvation army

Volunteer work including rearranging fixtures, sorting items, and loading skids. Management effectively gave training in short time period. enjoying workplace environment, with no physical demands.

All in all a good place to get some workplace experience.

I really don't have much to complain about. The workplace itself was pretty relaxed and it always have something for you to do, the work wasn't pretty hard, going from disposing garbage/junk, sorting items and putting them in their proper aisle, some cleaning (wiping windows, sweeping floors) and occasionally assisting customers (recommending customers what to purchase and helping them move furniture to their cars).

it was a volunteer program

i was there to volunteer for my highschool community hours, i helped stock things on the floor and put clothes on hangers. i enjoyed my time there and i gained experience

n/a

i worked with young offenders, it was a good oppertunity to be able to work with youths whom needed help to thrive. It was a student placement, and it was good

Sales Associate

It was great working here as my colleagues were easy to get along with. The key thing that made me work here was the flexible hours. I also liked the manager as well.

fun and learning experience

it was a good experience with the staff and guest. I learn a lot about taking responsibility for my actions. I most enjoyable part of the job was letting to associate the the employed and guess

development for program

helping the youth to find new tool. to help the youth have a successful future. its very important to help the youth with all the difficult issue they are facing

When I worked here as a volunteer, I learned more about myself in all aspects of reflection. I learned how to deal with teenagers that have dealt with the worst situations in life and help/guide them along the way. It was a real eye opener for a young adult like myself. The hardest part of the job was seeing these teenagers get emotionally distraught within the facility and seeing them hurting was very hard. (emotionally) The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the teenagers leave the facility ready to take on the world and wanting to better themselves.

6.2K