The Salvation Army

The Salvation Army: 1,419 Employee Reviews

Canada1,419 reviews

Found 1,419 reviews matching the searchSee all 15,073 reviews
armydonationvolunteerthriftkettlesortinghomelesscommunity

High expectations for hygiene, unfair pay to supply

Salvation Army gives people opportunities to work. However, the salary rate is very low, especially supply staff do not get pay $2 PWE for all the hours which they supposed to get, even though staff with children ( ratios). Not treating fairly. No opportunity to get full time position.

Pros

Working hard

Cons

PWE is not paying to staff according to hours working with children.

Work isn't too demanding except when there aren't enough employees.

Your experience of this place will completely depend on the how good the management is. Coworkers come and go and you're going to have to deal with people same way you'd deal with at any other retail store.

Pros

Flexible scheduling

Cons

Lack of planning from management

Insights into The Salvation Army

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging

Donation intake

Descent work, somewhat boring and some customers suck. People have no idea what to donate, and get very annoyed when you tell they can't donate certain things

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere

Cons

No room for growth

Broken Promises

Hired as a remote worker and was told that it's going to be on site on Day 1. Continued working alone with most of the coworkers working from home but did not get what I was promised eventually and found a better job. Thanks to SA

Exactly What You Would Expect

Can be difficult dealing with customers during rush hours, since consumer base is so varied. But overall I learned a lot. Staff are always part of a team and will always be there to help when it gets difficult.

Belkin House

I used to work at Belkin House as a shelter worker. It was a good start to build experience, but nothing more. The shelter manager who is now in charge is not doing a good job as a leader. Too many times, double staff shifts are not covered by manager. I found myself working alone with aggressive and sometimes violent clients. For the amount of work I did, Belkin House pay really low. Staff is also toxic. Coworkers seem to be busy gossiping and backstabbing each other. Not a supportive environment. Lastly, management provide does not any reference regardless if you are a good employee and duration of employment.

Pros

Experience

Cons

Management, coworkers, low pay, and toxic coworkers

Productive and Fun Workplace

I love clothing and the organization's mission and vision. The management is very considerate and my co-workers are nice and fun to work with. The only downside as a new store associate is them letting you work outright the cash register without enough training and I actually end doing more stuff than the regular employees because they let you do everything so there's no proper segregation of duties.

Pros

Fun and nice co-workers

Cons

segregation of duties

Really fun experience

I learned a lot with this job. The reasoning I wanted to do this is because I was at a one day thing like this before and I loved what they were doing, so I decided it was a good decision for me to work there and it was a good decision.

No advancement but perfect for easy work

The work is easy and rarely will you be stressed unless customers at your location are bad. The only bad part is that there are practically no opportunities for advancement. The sort of job where you work for a few years just to make some cash on the side or while you are young and starting out.

Worst year of my life

Difficult to work with and rude management. I have not set foot back in that store since I left, apparently I've been offered my job back twice. Abuse of power to the extreme from the assistant manager, everything is so haphazard and there is no semblance of a work life balance with 8 and a half hour shifts 5 days a week, no overtime pay. Exhausting job, decent benefits, bad pay, TERRIBLY run.

I enjoyed every aspect of working with the Chilliwack Salvation Army they take people in like their family

While I worked at the Salvation Army I enjoyed my co workers and the volunteers. They took people in like family and always went the extra mile for their staff. I will never forget working there it’s a lifetime experience with helping other in need

Pros

Helping people is satisfactory 100-%

Cons

Could be a bit dangerous dealing with people who have mental health issues

I was on a contract and would love to have a position with Salvation Army, great working environment but would like to see a higher pay scale. The fellow employees were friendly and great too work with as a team player.

Rewarding entry level work

The Salvation Army is great entry level work for those seeking experience in the social services. You will be met with a mostly kind and welcoming atmosphere as long as you are respectful of the religious nature of the organization. Management is usually very supportive and understanding. Clients are also very diverse and great to work with. The only negatives is the pay is quite low and hours are usually part time. It's hard to make a living working there.

fun with the clients.

management need improvement and to treat everyone equally. They need to be flexible and make the environment stress free. l love my job there but the environment is toxic and hatred

Pros

individuals and some colleagues

Cons

toxic environment

It’s ok… I guess

At my current place of employment there is not much to do. I get paid to sit around and socialize with the residents so I guess it’s an ok job for those looking for an easy one

Bad

ALot of disperpect,bullying and favoritism, unsafe forklift operation, no support from management or colleagues. Only positive is flexible vacation and days off.

It's good r

It good to help people and help the homeless and feed the hungry and good to meet people good working hours you can volunteers or get paid. It an good condition pick your own hr

Pros

Free lunch

Cons

Work long hr

Depends on Management

This has the potential to be a great job. As long as you're happy being a bottom feeder, there's very little room to move up. In the end it all depends on the manager you get. I worked in Newmarket and the management was abysmal. It was the difference of being management's favourite person one day, and most hated the next. Favoritism was HEAVY in depending who got hours and who didn't based on arbitrary factors. There's a reason Salvation Army Newmarket is always "urgently hiring". In my 8 months there, 2 people were fired and 4 quit. One person even warned me about the environment in my first week. If you do get hired, God speed.

Cons

Mangement

Doing the most good

Opportunity to help a lot of people by being kind, present, and really listening. The Salvation Army Food Bank and Outreach helps a lot of people and is loving and kind. Pleasure to work there and serve the community in need. If you can work a job where you can help your community, do it.

Fulfillment and spiritual growth

I love helping people and seeing the smiles on their faces. The exposure to ministry has made my relationship with God even better. My fulfillment comes from more than just money and things.

I enjoyed my job and co workers. Management tho was to micromanaged

I enjoyed my tasks. Hours were decent except for getting called in every day off. I felt underappreciated by the manager despite living alot at work. Enjoyable co workers tho and the clients were resepectful for most part.

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement