The Salvation Army

The Salvation Army Employee Reviews

Found 1,329 reviews matching the search
I learned the various aspects of serving clients in a homeless shelter setting, the importance of confidentiality, counselling, and most especially, teamwork.
Pros
Free lunchs
Cons
Opportunity for growth based on Seniority
I was very satisfied working at Salvation Army. Everyone was supportive, kind and helpful. I felt valued and respected as an employee and I would highly recommend anyone to work there.
I love working the Kettles every year. I love wearing the different Christmas outfits and making people smile. People love to hear especially Christmas carols.
Pros
Making people smile
Cons
Working in lousy weather
This is a money hungry organization. Head office is a mess, full of people who think they are better than the store employees because they sit at a desk all day so don’t expect to receive any basic respect. Store management is haphazard and if you do any work beyond your express responsibilities it will become an expectation. Managers pull new rules out of thin air. The job is mindless and there are decent benefits for full time employees. You accumulate sick days but are penalized for using them.
Pros
Paid sick days/vacation
Cons
Poor management and work environment
I always thought helping people is the most important part of my life. The Salvation Army has dedicated to help those who needs support mentally, physically and emotionally.
Pros
Life time experience
Cons
O.D issues
A great place to get a start in homelessness services. Lots of training provided, and you gain experience quickly, so it can be a great stepping stone. Management is at times very supportive, and at other times you really have to advocate for yourself if you feel uncomfortable or unsafe. Overall they really care about people.
Pros
Lots of paid training if you want it, one free meal per shift.
Cons
Not a lot of room to move up within the company.
Thanks again my experience was great there the staff were nice the intake were all different. I like how they take care of their community with warm arm warm meals and alway a helping hand
The people are amazing to work with. Always a team effort. Learning n growing every day. I am honored to support, encourage, and inspire the most vulnerable in their journey of self discovery.
Pros
Being of service to others
Cons
Vicarious trauma and burn out.
There is no really culture to follow. Rules change a convenience of the person en charge at the moment. The supervision and the management are mean and they don't really follow their motto: "we will make your donations count". I think they need to think more about the needs of the customers and select more carefully the people working for them.
Benefits
Cons
Hard management
After talking to other employees from other locations ..., we all feel the same... the organization is not at all what we thought it was...poisonous work environment best describes it...
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Not enough hours and poor pay
Milieu essentiellement occupe par des haĂŻtiens, les employeurs (direction et supervision ) haĂŻtiens eux mĂȘme souhaite engager surtout des personnes issus de la mĂȘme culture. Les horaires de travail ne sont pas clairs. Les employeurs cherchent a vous donner des heures de travail supplĂ©mentaires sans ĂȘtre payes.
Pros
Repas gratuit mais périmé
Cons
pause de 30 min pour manger, rythme extrĂȘmement extĂ©nuant
Working at The Salvation Army I was always productive and had something to do to keep me on my feet. The staff was so kind and accepting of me. They did a really good job at making me feel comfortable on my first day no matter how anxious I got and my manager was so sweet and understanding my experience was just beyond amazing and I really wish I could’ve continued to work there.
Pros
Positive work environment with very kind co workers
Cons
Not much time to sit down throughout the day
Great place to work and the staff and management is always supporting you. Everyone is accepted as they are and who they are.Salvation Army accepts everyone and understands that there can be bumps in the road and they will help you to the best of their ability whether it be resources or people to assist you.
Pros
the staff
Cons
If you want to help people this is NOT the place for you, everyday is Abuse Abuse and More Abuse by clients, community and other staff. Enablers for drugs and theft, the only thing they provide is shelter and food for ungrateful humans/
Cons
Very Abussive Atmosphere
Very stressful RPN job. Half the staff refused to orientate for one shift I was shuffled between 3 units that night. Severe responsibility. Not worth the headache. Go elsewhere
Pros
Nice residents
Cons
Poor teamwork, poor attitude among staff, you do not feel welcome there
it was a decent place to work ( houskeeping) Little bit of drama for the long term staff but over all it was alright the only problem was when I caught bed bugs the company could not help me (pay) for pest control so I had to quit and thank God I did soon my whole family has been tortured infested with bed bugs. If they wanted to keep the staff they should help them when they catch bed bugs from there facilities. I will never ever work at any shelter ever again I tried my best to prevent it and it still happened
Pros
free lunchs pay went up fast
Cons
bed bugs roaches bugs you never seen DRUGS smells
The Salvation Army is a great organization. I know this because, I witness the wonderful smile in people face when they come to pick up Charismas Hamper.
Pros
lean something new
Cons
Limitation
Working with really great people. Purpose driven incredible people. Everyone works incredibly hard to improve the lives of vulnerable people, leading with compassion, grace and dignity.
Pros
Rewarding work
Cons
Low pay
For an organization with so many rules, processes, protocols and money ...they somehow lack in them.The overall experience was positive - leadership to clientelle alike - however, the organization has fallen behind where it should be growing in leaps and bounds.
Pros
An excellent platform from which to work if helping others is your forte
Cons
Things won't change if you don't change them
Salvation Army is an excellent place to work both as a paid employee (Christmas kettles, they paying me helped me to make it through the Christmas holidays as I was struggling financially.) and as a volunteer in the North Shore playing the piano and serving food in the downtown eastside on the street and at Harbour Light as well.
People in top tier, like Directors have been around for many years and have set biases and behaviour difficult to change. For some it is the only company they have worked for, ever. Their lack of drive has set the tone for the culture which is mostly frustrating for ambitious millennials and Gen X. It is not a company where you can grow or bring about change to processes or people behaviours. Either adapt to their slow, unproductive, incompetent and slacking-off, never changing culture or move.
Pros
From the outside, the grass looks greener
Cons
From the inside, it is rotten
  1. Employee reviews