The Salvation Army Employee Reviews

It is a fun place to work.
Community Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK10 October 2018
I thoroughly enjoy my position but there is no opportunity to advance.it is an opportunity to help individuals less fortunate than others and to help the women and children build healthy habits and relationships.
Great
Youth Worker - Temporary (Former Employee) –  London, ON5 October 2018
good place to work at. people are very sweet and giving. you can learn a lot of life skills there and open up many avenues for someone who wants to learn .
Volunteer at salvation army
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON2 October 2018
Volunteer work including rearranging fixtures, sorting items, and loading skids.
Management effectively gave training in short time period.
enjoying workplace environment, with no physical demands.
Caring company
Zone Leader/Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB2 October 2018
I did volunteer work and was pleased to help. I was never pressured to do more than I could. I took my young babies along with me. They were well organized.
Pros
You were appreciated
Cons
Non
Great attitude when your there, very nice employees
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS26 September 2018
Great place to work especially if your just starting out, can help you learn how stuff is priced and is very helpful when getting your own place; better for people who like a relaxed job.
Fun place to work
Sales Associate (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON26 September 2018
Kept very busy at all times. Great job for meeting people and a great atmosphere. Customer service was is a major part of the role with management strongly focused on this. The hardest part of the job is in donations as it involves heavy lifting. Young staff make it a fun work environment.
Pros
Customer focused environment.
Cons
Low pay for hard work.
Fast paced setting
Retail Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC25 September 2018
Never a dull day since you get to meet and help so many interesting characters. I found that I became a more accepting person by working there since the people you meet there come from all walks of life.
Pros
Great discounts on all merchandise
Cons
Physically draining job at times
Well organized non-profit organization.
Protection Service Officer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 September 2018
Chances are to deal with all kinds of people, develop to control your temper, patience and try to work in accordance with their policies and procedure.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
prone to agitated clients
Christian Organization
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 September 2018
Work fulfillment and respect from colleagues. Healthy workplace and organizational culture. Great leadership potential and work-life balance. Honored to be part of one of the largest Christian charities in Canada.
All in all a good place to get some workplace experience.
Volunteered as a helper (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON21 September 2018
I really don't have much to complain about. The workplace itself was pretty relaxed and it always have something for you to do, the work wasn't pretty hard, going from disposing garbage/junk, sorting items and putting them in their proper aisle, some cleaning (wiping windows, sweeping floors) and occasionally assisting customers (recommending customers what to purchase and helping them move furniture to their cars).
Very diverse workplace
Past Volunteer/ Employee (Former Employee) –  Courtenay, BC20 September 2018
Typical duties include putting away clothing, shelving items, helping customers,and working with cash. All clothes are separated by gender, style, and colour.
Pros
Experience
good place to work at east and good enviroment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ON18 September 2018
very nice place to work at would recommend for a first job friendly staff and easy going customers does get boring if you're there all day but nothing that you couldn't handle
Pros
nice staff and very understanding
Cons
boring and long days
productive work place meeting and interacting with new people
Head Cook Assistant (Placement) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 September 2018
I had a great experience working at the salvation army people and staff were very friendly and caring they made you feel like family
and the kitchen was organised and clean I would make the main course meals
Pros
free dinner
Cons
tiredness
It isn't bad but...
Salaes executive (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB16 September 2018
Sometimes in places like this, management can be really lazy. You are constantly bending over backwards for people who do not actually care much about the workplace but will still push you? Not so great, although the bright side is you are helping a good cause. I wouldn't expect anyone to stay at this job any longer than 6 months.
Pros
Good cause
Cons
Poor workplace
Productive and Fun
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 September 2018
It's a very good place to work. The employees are respectable. They're nice people. Overall I really enjoyed my time working there. It taught me so many things I have been able to experience for future careers,
Pros
Good Paycheck
Cons
Dusty and could be smelly
Company serves the community in many ways
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 September 2018
Salvation Army helps and serves the community in many different ways. Very rewarding to be a part of it. The job is team oriented, fast paced, goal driven, and very very physical.
Pros
Being part of an amazing diversified team
Cons
Long Hours on Sale Days
Residential Counsellor
Residential Counsellor (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON10 September 2018
Working as a residential counselor is very rewarding. I have been blessed with the opportunity to work this agency and both staff and clients have taught me many skills. On a typical day I support three different adults with developmental disabilities. Each client requires different levels of support. I must provide a healthy, well-balanced meal, clean environment and positive atmosphere. As well as assisting clients with personal hygiene routines. My duties also include completing daily paper work, recording behaviors, following behavior support plans, advocating and fostering independence in each client that I work with. If there is ever a con to my job, it would be that at times it can be both physically and mentally exhausting. Fortunately, with a healthy and supportive team I am able to complete my shifts and ensure that all clients are happy at the end of the day.
My enjoyment as an Addiction Counsellor
Withdrawal Management Counsellor (PT) (Former Employee) –  London, ON6 September 2018
I very much enjoy my career choice as an Addiction Counsellor. It has given me the opportunity to share and provide a healthier and productive life for those I have supported. There is a drastic challenge within addictions and mental health, one is putting down your "drug of choice", more challenging is the "life-style"changes that need to be addressed. Unfortunately, there continues to be limited resources- mental health care, suitable housing, withdrawal management supports ( residential or in-home) and a lack of understanding from family,friends and community.
A "typical" day at work included supporting those in acute-withdrawals and those seeking treatment for their substance abuse. It involved close monitoring, ensuring appointments and phone calls were addressed in a timely fashion. It also required appropriate advocating and that "client centered" needs were acknowledged . It encompassed one-on-one counselling, adequate nutrition, psycho-educational and recreational sessions as well as an opportunity to engage in physical and volunteer experiences.
My most enjoyable experiences as an Addiction Counselor is being invited to ones First Year celebration in sobriety, My most challenging is attending a funeral.
Pros
enjoyed supporting those who were actively reaching out for support.
Cons
staff nonsense and extremely poor management
A wonderful charity
Food Bank Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Midland, ON6 September 2018
During my volunteer position with Salvation Army I got to meet a wide variety of people and was able to understand a lot about how they help the communities they involve themselves with.
Really friendly Place
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Peace River, AB4 September 2018
The Salvation Army is a really friendly place and you get to meet a lot of nice people. Working at a Salvation Army Thrift Store is a great experience and helps you get to know the community. The staff is really nice and pretty much family and the regulars are some of the nicest people you'll ever meet. Working at a Thrift Store you learn really quickly about the amount of value items have, even if it's something you normally would never shop for and can be really fun to find new things that you wouldn't normally see. The most difficult part would be dealing with thieves that would come around and steal things from the back of the store and leave a gigantic mess of torn bags and emptied boxes that would need to be cleaned up.
Pros
A friendly place to work with great health benifits
Cons
There is a lot of cleaning out back

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Salvation Army. Our community is ready to answer.

53.9K