The Salvation Army Employee Reviews

Found 838 reviews matching the search See all 9,991 reviews
A fairly satisfactory place to work.
DIRECTOR OF CASE MANAGEMENT SERVICES (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 February 2019
A full day of work and duties to perform. Staff were pleasant within the environment. Learned a lot about the homeless and services that they required. Management was ok. The work culture was not pleasant, due to the challenging and hard to serve population that frequented the Centre. Hardest part of the job: securing housing options for people in the limited housing environment.
Pros
Helping others in need.
Cons
Some very challenging clients.
inconvenient to non believers
Monthly income data entry etc (Former Employee) –  New Glasgow, NS12 February 2019
worked a contract position for 9 months was promised full time following the conclusion of the contract, followed by a promotion, and as soon as my contract was over i was let go, while not told out rite i was let go for not being a religious individual.
Pros
monday to friday
Cons
very olden time mentality as far as a workforce standard
Productive workplace
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON11 February 2019
Overall a great fun place to work at with funny people around. An interesting work environment where every shift is different and sometimes feels like a workout.
Pros
Fun shifts and great people to work with
Cons
work can be an overload
Fun place to shop even when you work
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Parry Sound, ON6 February 2019
Typical day included sorting, pricing, interacting with customers. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with co-workers who could communicate effectively and repeat customers.

Its a good place to start working if your getting back into the work force.
Nice Staff and Managers
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 February 2019
A nice organization to work in but its very hard for advancements
the managers and upper staff doesn't care for prior staff who have disabilities and want to excel in the company
there are to many high standards to be part of the company
Pros
flexible hours reasonable pay
Cons
hard to advance in company
It was a practicum placement
Practicum Student (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC1 February 2019
It was a practicum placement so I did not get paid. I had a great time working there and seeing how the Salvation Army works. I learned a lot being there.
Fast paced environments, customer service, Teamwork is a must.
Volunteer Position (Current Employee) –  Pembroke, ON1 February 2019
My typical day of volunteering at the Salvation army normally includes with starting to assist the chefs whom are running lunch for the Soup Kitchen. I begin to make beverages and set tables. I enjoy serving beverages to all the clients to interact with them individually. In the afternoon I help in the Food Bank. There are plenty of duties although one that I am always assigned on, waiting for the office to bring down the clients paper that has been number as they arrived, they check what kinds of food they prefer according to the category we then preparing the clients order by placing what they have checked off from every category into their box with their number on it. After we have everything that the client has wished he would received we then bring the boxes upstairs through the elevator with a shopping cart call out the number and the client comes forward to grab their box. We then get the chance to interact with the client once again. This volunteer position includes a lot of dedication, teamwork, some sort of compassion in helping others and of course strong communication skills.
Productive and Compassionate place to work
Health Records Clerk III (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON31 January 2019
Management was very good to work for. I was able to upgrade my education to improve my skills to be better at my job. It is a very good company to work for as their understanding of people is important to them
thrift store
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON30 January 2019
minimum wage salary with no benefits , hours are slim management is incompetent
requesting 1 person for a 3 person job not very clean work environment
nice people
Kettle Person (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON29 January 2019
short 3 hour shifts, some sites are cold.
greet and thank people for donation. and sometimes when available hand out card calendars.
we are like guards watching, so money doesn't get stolen.
Pros
working with public
Cons
cold spots
Janitor/Cleaner (Former Employee) –  London, ON29 January 2019
Good place to work, the hardest part for me was the physical labor of the job as I sustained an injury.
The benefits were working with the people there, who eventually became my friends.
Good christian place to work in.
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON27 January 2019
This small company in Halifax is a Christian company helping the people at risk and the disadvantaged people in the Halifax area. I really enjoyed working there.
Pros
good working culture
Cons
less pay
Not for everyone
Store Associate / Cashier (Former Employee) –  3711 Keele St, North York, ON M3J 1N125 January 2019
Fun place to work, lots of customer interaction and personability. Staff was all female. Learned why The Salvation Army is needed in the community and the help they do.
Pros
Staff Discount
Cons
Distrusting co-workers
Learning Experience
Grande Prairie - Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB25 January 2019
It was a unique and fun experience, I enjoyed volunteering for salvation army and I hope to go back and volunteer as much as time will allow.
Painting was a new and cool experience.
Good experience
Food and Beverage Assistant (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 January 2019
The experience overall was great, great volunteer hours but some of the clients may be a difficult to work with due to personal reasons. Would recommend to people with patience
Pros
free food
Cons
some unruly clients
Easy
Kettle worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 January 2019
I literally sat there and collected donations I worked on my own with flexible hours I actually really enjoyed it but it's seasonal so I am now lookin for new employment
Good job and good middle management
Shelter Worker (Current Employee) –  Goderich, ON16 January 2019
This is a great job for the area, which typically dosent pay well. This position is also double staffed which is great, and light years beyond and much safer then similar jobs with Betamarsh and Community Living.
Pros
Feel Great about your work, interesting people
Cons
Head management to far away to understand ministry
good
Sales Associate, Keyholder (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON16 January 2019
I have been working at Salvation Army part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great workers and friendly environment

Cons

really big store and so many clothes

Advice to Management

great store and great workers
It's a good place to gain experience
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Essex, ON16 January 2019
It was a great place to experience customer services and to get to know the community. I have nothing bad to say about them and thoroughly enjoyed my experience as a volunteer.
Enjoyed my time as an employee
Store Clerk and Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ingersoll, ON14 January 2019
Being faith based was a very big draw for me when I accepted the position. I thoroughly enjoyed my time with the Salvation Army thrift store. My favourite was the interaction with the clientele...so diverse! I never had a dull moment working there and I do miss it.
Pros
clientele, both those donating and shopping there
Cons
low pay, no benefits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Salvation Army. Our community is ready to answer.

54.3K