The Salvation Army

The Salvation Army Employee Reviews

Found 1,252 reviews matching the search
You have to do your job ignoring the top management or they will tear you apart, lack of honesty and integrity is very evident. Hours are good and so is the benefits
I really enjoyed working with them i wish I could go back there. my supervisor was really nice and understanding person. and the company policy was very good and understandable
Pros
ok
Cons
good hours
Good place for experience, you will join the food bank to feed your family because of the wages. Most life concerns are strategically dealt with (hidden) but will manifest if you pay attention. Racism, Advancement, Opportunity, Value etc. they won't say NO, either YES. If you smart, you'll see it. Really good at hiding REAL issues. otherwise, a decent place to work. Just honest opinion really.
Pros
Great Experience
Cons
Do more for employees, pay a living wage at lease, cover 100% benefits, be more understanding, and take chance on qualified mix race employees in senior position
Receiv, dispah, pick uop, services on the STREET MINISTRY, parades, holy days.etc, thr working place was bad, only the goal of the S.A, is great, but thre peoplo who handling the different departments is the problem, ther hardest part of the job is to dealing with people with pregist mentality, favoritism, and the most enyouable was to help people and see the facess with the gratefull manifestation and gratitud.
Pros
Ease to handling
Cons
Racism
During my interview they made it seem like it was a great place to work, didn't include any of the security issues within the company. They overwork all Frontline staff, they undermine, very critical and never listen to staff about dangerous situations. Favoritism, and gossip between higher up is an ongoing problem, if they do not like you watch your back, they will write you up for the most petty things and never allow you to grow within the company. Hands down the worst company I have ever worked for!
Pros
Cons
Never allowed to sit, breaks never happen, stressful, management is uneducated, too much gossip, wage is ridiculously low for the workload, always criticized but never praised of good things
Not a place you want to make a career out of. As a learning curve and to gain experience. Short term recommended. The politics will drive you crazy...If it's misery 24 7 you are looking for, it's day and night...
Would not recommend working at Salvation Army daycare in Mississauga on Cawthra road. You are paid unfairly. Your co workers does not treat you fairly
Pros
Awesome children
Cons
Treated unfairly
It is an opportunity to entry the company and learn the organization dynamics. My goal is to gain experience and apply as an internal candidate to other positions.
Pros
Hours guaranteed, stable
Cons
aggressive clients
It’s good for a student or newcomer in Canada but it only pays minimum wage which is less than fair for the amount of pressure placed on you and the work required of you. There’s a lot of physical work involved and sometimes you won’t be allowed to take breaks. Very toxic work environment where everyone gossips about the next person.
Pros
RRSP match
Cons
Toxic environment
Enjoy doing this through the holiday would love to work more with them they are a good help to the community and staff is very positive influence on you
Pros
Cons
Not eniugh
Great work culture. I have a good experience working at Salvation army , but I regret that my work at Salvation Army had to end due to convid 19 crisis. Salvation Army is a charitable organization that help the need of the under privilege . Everyday at my work place with Salvation army I got to put a smile to someone face which gives me great satisfaction..
I enjoyed working for the Salvation Army because I believe in their mission statement: to provide for those who cannot provide for themselves in order to show the Love of God. A typical day at work included a total cleaning of the dining, bathroom, hallways and dishwashing area. As well at taking out the garbage and doing compost, making tea and helping the servers, organizing donations, and turning stock over. Management was alright... I have to admit though that the safety was lacking for us employees and the communication from upper management was poor. As well as this, i was locked in the freezer for over an hour because they did not fix it for 8 years. In spite of this, I still hold this job as one of my favorites because i just love the people I worked with and for, the homeless are a wonderful and wise group of people. That, and being able to exercise Love and Empathy on a regular basis made me a happy person.
Pros
Working for the disadvantaged, sense of purpose, sometimes donations werent suitable and so we were allowed to pick something.
Cons
Unpaid and frequent overtime, no raise in 4 years, locked in freezer (safety was lacking.)
Not appreciated. Over worked, under paid. Too many people think they’re the boss. Only hire for busy season then let you go for no reason. Terrible management
I enjoyed my job as l love working with customers. I didn't understand why their had to be so much drama. It was fast paced and alot of responsibility placed on some workers and not others. No professional communicstions. The supervisor expectation didn't match the supervisor
working for the SArmy can be a wonderful and awesome thing. Its ministry and employment combined! However, leadership changes in the Army quickly and when it does there is no job security with the in coming leadership. If they at all perceive you as a threat it wont be long before they either find a reason to let you go or make your time working impossible to cope with. basically, they can bully you out of a job and so you quit. This makes me really sad that I'm writing this because it should not be like this. l loved my job.
Pros
Ministry and employment
Cons
insecure people in leadership
In my position I spent much of my time on a one to one basis and working with other groups. as well as trying to find alternatives for the offender. It is a patient position.
Fast-paced, a lot of duties that can be easily completed within a day. Learned to work under pressure and with a team. Management is unfair and do not take the best interest of their employees in mind. The work place culture is toxic at times and a lot of work place politics comes into play. The hardest part of the job is working with unmanageable residents and lazy staff. The most enjoyable part is working alone.
Pros
working alone
Cons
almost everything
as a salvation army thrift store clerk the work is very easy however management are bullies. you're entitled to breaks but they get upset if you take them. they talk about customers once the customer has left the store. they talk about other staff when they arent around. they bullied me into a position they knew i couldnt take in order to get rid of me without giving me a layoff. they say they are there to help people but they question if the person actually needs it or not. staff is actually able to buy and purchase anything at the store before it goes out onto the floor to needy people. they talk about and make jokes about " students " who arent from here
Pros
the customers
Cons
management
Highly recommended, great environment to be creative. The availability of fresh vegetables, dairy products, meats, and fruit was truly a pleasure....and the appreciation of extra effort from management was a very positive aspect.
Pros
Management is extremely supportive and open to suggestions for improvement.
Cons
Very strong union presence...promotion was / could be difficult.
For a Christian organization this establishment is a disgrace. The prices are high the staff are rude and have first pick of things at a fraction of the cost they would charge the public.
Pros
Stuff for cheap
Cons
Rude staff
I thought it was a great place to work. I liked my coworkers, my manager, I liked the atmosphere & the hours. I would definitely recommend The Salvation Army as a great place to work to anyone.
Pros
Friendly environment, good pace job
Cons
I want everything I see...
  1. Employee reviews