The Salvation Army Employee Reviews

Fundraising
Fundraiser Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ON13 February 2018
Overall very positive experience working with the public, explaining what, where and how all proceeds of funds for the charity will be distributed in the community. Very cheerful job with a spiritual touch, especially when times are more sensitive for some. The company was very flexible and made sure the employees were cared for, the job required at times little notice for shifts so availability is certainly demanded. The best part of the job i found was the intrigue, curiosity and excitement of children, teaching core values of helping one another in communities at such an early age.

This was seasonal contract work.
great orgnisation with great values
Intake worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 February 2018
great place and great organisation with lots of values , helping others is my passion and working with the salvation army did allow me to reach one of my goals by working and helping other people in need at the same time! mangment were great and its a great team to work with !!
family environment
residential counsellor (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON8 February 2018
I love working here! the clients and workers are so wonderful and it feels like a family. Management needs to work on their approach with frontline workers to fix the disconnect. Salary is low for the demand of the job. no room for advancement, but lots of group activities offered to build team spirit.
Pros
great clients
Cons
support for frontline staff is not always available
Low wage lots of expectations
Family Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ON7 February 2018
benefits are good but wage too low
rrsp contribution match
insurances fully paid by employee
co workers loving and caring
no room for job advancement
hey try your best
Cook (Current Employee) –  London, ON6 February 2018
great place to work staff is great i dont know what to say other than i really enjoy working their i just need more hours to provide for my family they are really trying to help out the community
Pros
helping others
Cons
some staff are moody
Great
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 February 2018
I had a lot of fun helping out at christmas with the gift. It was a great experience to help the community and families. I would definitely do it again.s
Working
Seasonal Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Sydney, NS5 February 2018
Typical days at work: Customer service to everybody.
Great with working alone or with others. Helping and learning something new everyday is very exciting.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Excellent place to build your experience
Support and Services Worker (Former Employee) –  Peel, ON29 January 2018
The Salvation Army Peel is a great place to work to build experience.
Most of the management team are empathetic towards staff needs, except for a few latecomers wanting to prove their status. Like any other organization, they are very political when it comes to staff promotion.
The benefits are relevant and salary meagre.
Pros
Benefit relevant
Cons
salary meagre
dealing with people
Client Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 January 2018
The Salvation Army Centre of Hope is a good place to start a career, finish off a career and the skills bring a lot on the table for those that are fortunate enough to receive it. There are many hot moments and when there is calm, it works out, people need to be trained to deal with these obstacles that are in the job. There is not much chance to advance, but at the same time, just look for another job when you get on your feet and there will be an opportunity, never give up, I appreciate all that the Salvation Army has done for me in my life; I am better off because they are there for people and I pray they continue in that path.
Pros
Parking is free and there are many opportunities to team build, getting to know some of the things that are going on in todays world is just amazing, seeing a client succeed for a substantial time, getting involved so that there are no delays, the help is there for whoever needs to access a service I am involved with
Cons
What really sucks is when you are helping someone and they screw up and wind up a statistic, long hours and sometimes the food they serve is not the best, but sometimes that is just me because I don't ike peppers at all!s
It can be fun to work here depending who you are working for
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  2966 kilpatrick ave25 January 2018
I love working at the Salvation Army! You really just gotta know how to take the other people working there most think they’re manager and they aren’t. Overall it’s an alright play to work!
great atmosphere and quality people
Kitchen Helper (Former Employee) –  Pine Lake, AB17 January 2018
early mornings till late at night is possible, depends on camp
get to meet a variety of people.
fantastic view of the lake and in the middle of a park setting.
get to learn new challenges and do a variety of jobs.
Pros
free meals, great conversations
Assisting individuals (Former Employee) –  London, ON17 January 2018
You get to meet a lot of new people in a fast-paced environment. The people you serve are very kind and wonderful people. You meet a lot of nice volunteers.
They must talk the talk and walk the walk!
Project Administration Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Headquarters Canada17 January 2018
Corporate environment needs to be more aligned with the Mission of the Organization, They must talk the talk and walk the walk! The mission work needs to respected by all as well as the prayers and services conducted.
Picked up donations driving a truck
Truck Driver/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON15 January 2018
A lot of physical labour here and you may be forced to work with someone as a helper. It was nice knowing I was helping the poor in some way in addition to making a wage. It can be a dirty job as you would be surprised to know what kinds of things people put in those donation boxes.
Nice experience.
Student Nurse (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 January 2018
Medical staff was very knowledgeable, helpful and friendly. I learned a lot from my preceptor and other nurses. I have very good memories about my clinical placement.
Productive and fun work place with nice team mambers
Cashier and Store Associate (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB12 January 2018
This is my first job in Canada and i learned a lot about the canadian culture over here. Every day we get a diiferent type of donations here so its fun to see what is new today. Moreover to deal with different type of customers every day is also an enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
All benefits
Cons
Little bit dusty place
Great ambiance and people with a lot of culture.
Volunteer Worker (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC11 January 2018
The ambiance is very friendly, with a lot of culture share.

A great place for team work, they always listen and share opinions.

Flexible schedule, so you can choose when and what time to work.
Assist and advise clients with needs
Resident Worker (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK9 January 2018
This is a homeless shelter for women and children, as a worker i assisted with helping the women find housing and advised of other services available to their needs for themselves and their children. Some of the clients have mental health issues that are not addressed and this made the work difficult at times. The management was good, but its hard to really understand the high demands of this job when you haven't worked in this type of environment, to possible open more facilities like this that are in high demand.
The hardest part of this job was when the clients were repeat clients, month after month. The most enjoyable part of this job was when families found good homes and were stable and came back to thank us for the help we provided to them.
Pros
free food
Cons
unstable, difficult clients
Very organized & fun
Thrift store (Former Employee) –  Streetsville, ON7 January 2018
It's very organized due to all the people bringing in donations & how they have a very neat layout & nice staff members. Also you find a lot of cool things there suck as antiques & cool potterys
Pros
There's a lot of cool stuff you see there suck as antiques
Cons
Sometimes it gets cold & u have to wear outdoor wear inside
Great Staff
Residential Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB7 January 2018
Good staff. I enjoyed working with a divers set of personalities. Clients were great to get to know and work with. Long over night shifts made it hard.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Long Hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Salvation Army. Our community is ready to answer.

53.3K