The Salvation Army logo
The Salvation Army
Happiness score is 68 out of 100Average

The Salvation Army Employee Reviews

Found 1,334 reviews matching the searchSee all 14,526 reviews

Fun work place in the beginning!

Booth has changed management so many times with so many different working styles, found it to be stressful, inconsistent, slave drivers, no work life balance.

Pros

Free lunches only during training sessions internally.

Cons

Management now very opinionated and don’t listen to staff for input regarding program.

Management appears to have no retail experience but expecting staff to understand the philosophy (prayer based retail).

Disorganized management team, vague and questionable orientation/start up experience, terrible communications, gossip and second hand information encouraged, far too grounded in magic thinking and prayer.

Pros

Punctual payments

Cons

Disorganized and poor communication from management

Frriendly team

Feel like working at home . Great team who Help each other . Easy job . Perfect duty time . Delivery is to other branches of salvation army which makes Delivery more easy .

Pros

Perfect place to work

Not worth your time or consideration.

Trust me. Straight up garbage fire. You are just a number. It will break your heart. They are so desperate for employees that they hire people with no experience. You are expected to work long hours. Many staff members are on stress leave. Management does everything to not do their job or help out staff.

Pros

Clients

Cons

Everything else.

Great experience

I was very satisfied working at Salvation Army. Everyone was supportive, kind and helpful. I felt valued and respected as an employee and I would highly recommend anyone to work there.

Great place to work, lot's of fun..

I love working the Kettles every year. I love wearing the different Christmas outfits and making people smile. People love to hear especially Christmas carols.

Pros

Making people smile

Cons

Working in lousy weather

Uninspired work environment

This is a money hungry organization. Head office is a mess, full of people who think they are better than the store employees because they sit at a desk all day so don’t expect to receive any basic respect. Store management is haphazard and if you do any work beyond your express responsibilities it will become an expectation. Managers pull new rules out of thin air. The job is mindless and there are decent benefits for full time employees. You accumulate sick days but are penalized for using them.

Pros

Paid sick days/vacation

Cons

Poor management and work environment

Learning opportunities

I always thought helping people is the most important part of my life. The Salvation Army has dedicated to help those who needs support mentally, physically and emotionally.

Pros

Life time experience

Cons

O.D issues

Team environment

I learned the various aspects of serving clients in a homeless shelter setting, the importance of confidentiality, counselling, and most especially, teamwork.

Pros

Free lunchs

Cons

Opportunity for growth based on Seniority

You'll learn a lot

A great place to get a start in homelessness services. Lots of training provided, and you gain experience quickly, so it can be a great stepping stone. Management is at times very supportive, and at other times you really have to advocate for yourself if you feel uncomfortable or unsafe. Overall they really care about people.

Pros

Lots of paid training if you want it, one free meal per shift.

Cons

Not a lot of room to move up within the company.

Jobs at The Salvation Army

See more jobs

Thanks

Thanks again my experience was great there the staff were nice the intake were all different. I like how they take care of their community with warm arm warm meals and alway a helping hand

A learning and growing environment.

The people are amazing to work with. Always a team effort. Learning n growing every day. I am honored to support, encourage, and inspire the most vulnerable in their journey of self discovery.

Pros

Being of service to others

Cons

Vicarious trauma and burn out.

Stressful due to poor management

After talking to other employees from other locations ..., we all feel the same... the organization is not at all what we thought it was...poisonous work environment best describes it...

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

Not enough hours and poor pay

Environnement anxiogĂšne et stressant

Milieu essentiellement occupe par des haĂŻtiens, les employeurs (direction et supervision ) haĂŻtiens eux mĂȘme souhaite engager surtout des personnes issus de la mĂȘme culture. Les horaires de travail ne sont pas clairs. Les employeurs cherchent a vous donner des heures de travail supplĂ©mentaires sans ĂȘtre payes.

Pros

Repas gratuit mais périmé

Cons

pause de 30 min pour manger, rythme extrĂȘmement extĂ©nuant

Productive workplace with very friendly co workers!

Working at The Salvation Army I was always productive and had something to do to keep me on my feet. The staff was so kind and accepting of me. They did a really good job at making me feel comfortable on my first day no matter how anxious I got and my manager was so sweet and understanding my experience was just beyond amazing and I really wish I could’ve continued to work there.

Pros

Positive work environment with very kind co workers

Cons

Not much time to sit down throughout the day

salvation army

Great place to work and the staff and management is always supporting you. Everyone is accepted as they are and who they are.Salvation Army accepts everyone and understands that there can be bumps in the road and they will help you to the best of their ability whether it be resources or people to assist you.

Pros

the staff

Don't Do It

If you want to help people this is NOT the place for you, everyday is Abuse Abuse and More Abuse by clients, community and other staff. Enablers for drugs and theft, the only thing they provide is shelter and food for ungrateful humans/

Cons

Very Abussive Atmosphere

Horrible

Very stressful RPN job. Half the staff refused to orientate for one shift I was shuffled between 3 units that night. Severe responsibility. Not worth the headache. Go elsewhere

Pros

Nice residents

Cons

Poor teamwork, poor attitude among staff, you do not feel welcome there

It really was a fun place to work

it was a decent place to work ( houskeeping) Little bit of drama for the long term staff but over all it was alright the only problem was when I caught bed bugs the company could not help me (pay) for pest control so I had to quit and thank God I did soon my whole family has been tortured infested with bed bugs. If they wanted to keep the staff they should help them when they catch bed bugs from there facilities. I will never ever work at any shelter ever again I tried my best to prevent it and it still happened

Pros

free lunchs pay went up fast

Cons

bed bugs roaches bugs you never seen DRUGS smells

Fun place to work and you meet interesting personality.

The Salvation Army is a great organization. I know this because, I witness the wonderful smile in people face when they come to pick up Charismas Hamper.

Pros

lean something new

Cons

Limitation

Great people!

Working with really great people. Purpose driven incredible people. Everyone works incredibly hard to improve the lives of vulnerable people, leading with compassion, grace and dignity.

Pros

Rewarding work

Cons

Low pay

6.2K