The Salvation Army Employee Reviews

development for program
Youth development worker (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON16 April 2018
helping the youth to find new tool. to help the youth have a successful future. its very important to help the youth with all the difficult issue they are facing
Fun work place! Well managed
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB15 April 2018
Well managed place! Very kind co workers! Good benefits. I love the idea that you can get 50% off at all locations! You could also get a seniors discount if your over 60!
Pros
Half hour lunch! 50% discount at all locations!
Cons
Sometime the days can go by slow
Decent
Cashier / Stocker (Former Employee) –  Whitehorse, YT15 April 2018
Work environment could have been better, coworkers acted like bosses. Boss acted like a friend, no discipline. Cleanliness was a repeated issue. Thrift store is no longer open in whitehorse, sad but certain staff should have been let go.
Pros
percentage off goods
Cons
staff
rewarding
Kettle Worker / Bell Ringer (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON12 April 2018
A very rewarding holiday experience. It feels good to know that I contributed to the lives of those in need in such a way. The job is not too strenuous as long as you do not mind standing in one place without any bathroom breaks, if you have a disability that interferes with this then a chair will usually be provided for you though. a lot of people may come by your kettle to ask you questions about the salvation army that you may not be able to answer if you are not an actual member of the church, or they may make downright rude complaints to you about getting letters asking for continued donations as if you are responsible for this. Hopefully you will not end up out in the cold. you will also have to know where you are going because you will probably be moved to different locations all around you're town or city. Since The position also only lasts from November to right before Christmas day so you will also have to find a different means of employment for the rest of the year. Other then that, I cannot think of a better way of spending the holiday season then helping you're community in such a rewarding fashion.
Pros
Helpng my community
Cons
two to four hours of standing without any breaks
Great job, but overtaken with work drama
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON11 April 2018
I loved working at The Salvation Army, I was given great opportunity to work different positions throughout the store and gain experience in many different areas of the workforce such as heavy material handling, office work, customer service, and more.
The management, though started rocky, was replaced and absolutely incredible. My manager went above and beyond to assure we were happy in our positions.
The only downfall was severe drama issues created by the workers there. Most workers were women who had been there 4 years+, so they had lots of backstory and dragged new workers into their problems. Management refused to get involved.
Pros
Good pay, fair lunches
Cons
Drama
Very enjoyable place to volunteer and work
volunteer (Former Employee) –  Perth, ON9 April 2018
fun, different tasks each day, makes you feel you have helped people,always new/used stuff to go through, like helping people look for that special item.
cook and help
Kitchen Helper (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON9 April 2018
you work as a team and you make a lot of friends it can be a lot of fun and a lot of work. you are on your feet a lot and meet a lot of people and you can take class with them to move up in your job
great people
Sorter/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ON28 March 2018
A great staff is provided at the Woodstock salvation army and the management is a fantastic group as well, very understanding when it comes to personal life
Prepare to show a lot of deference
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Smiths Falls, ON28 March 2018
This organization needs a complete overhaul and it needs to get with the times. It is full of dinosaurs in pre-retirement status who just want to get to the golden handshake.Those in positions of uniformed leadership do not encourage anyone to aim higher. Actually, if you show any promise of making a difference or trying to show a better way to do things OR standing up for what is WRONG, you are put into submission and gag-ordered, basically. The workplace culture is scared and continually trying to throw others under the proverbial bus as there is so much uncertainty and if you do not belong to the "church group" you will not be given the same advantages. This location hires family members so nepotism runs rampant and so does their gossip across the community. It is an extremely toxic environment and the best thing that could happen is the church itself close down and the stores become Corporate stores so that they are run more efficiently with a proper budget and proper tools to do the job RIGHT, without church group clique influence. Negative. Toxic. Poor Administration. Stuck in the Dark Ages. Run!
Pros
Good hours, Helping less fortunate, community spirit
Cons
Ethics, high turnover of leadership, lack of proper training and funding
Volunteer Experience
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Acton, ON19 March 2018
Volunteering with Salvation Army was a rewarding experience. It gave me a chance to give back to my community and make some friends. The job consisted of sorting and some computer work. The people were wonderful and I would recommend the experience to anyone thinking of volunteering.
Nice place to work
Store Associate (Current Employee) –  London, ON17 March 2018
A nice place to work where you learn the value of life as well as importance of other people. the people who work over there are rally nice ad supportive and they try to get the best out of you
Enjoyable and Fun
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, ON15 March 2018
I enjoy volunteering within the Salvation Army because it gives me confidence, gain new skills and i get to interact with people each day. Its not be very long ive been apart of the team or family if you will but i can say i take pride in what i do and knowing im appreciated.
Good experience, good management.
Kitchen supervisor and lunch planner (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 March 2018
Enjoyed working for a Christian based organization, because I have similar values, the management was very supportive and helpful in making sure all the necessary tools were available to allow me to be a success at my job. This includes, staffing, volunteers, equipment, food supplies, a good working kitchen, and the ability to service clients from my dietary perspective and using my skills to make sure all clients dietary needs we’re meant. Overall this was a great experience and a fulfilling opportunity.
Pros
Expanding my skills and abilities
Cons
Moving to a new location to far from job
You take the good with the bad
Residential Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC12 March 2018
The work is fulfilling and rewarding. It is nice to have a good union and the shop stewards are all great at representing the staff. The management is disorganized has a high turnover rate and there is no infrastructure for employee development.
Pros
Helping People
Cons
No room for growth
Adventurous and Life Changing
PROGRAM LEADER (Former Employee) –  Houston, BC7 March 2018
I got to work with children from babies to teenagers. Of course it was hard at times, but very rewarding at the end of the day, week, and summer. The job is hard but it is expected to be. Once you've worked at summer camp, especially camp mountainview, you won't regret it.
Pros
spiritually rewarding, learn a lot, grow as a person, the cons are worth it
Cons
long hours, very tiring
Thrift Store - Salvation Army
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 March 2018
I worked at Salvation Army for several years in various stores, in various positions.
I started out as a cashier and donation sorter and quickly worked my way up to a management position.
Pros
Having a great team to work with
Cons
n/a
Hostile Work Environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 March 2018
Very hostile customers and staff. Management didn't pay me what we agreed upon and denied I was owed money. I was accused of stealing and the workplace was filthy(dust and animal droppings).
Best Place I've worked
Communications Officer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 February 2018
If there had been more opportunities for me to move up and grow i never would have left. I have wonderful memories of this job. I learned so much from so many exceptional people. As a charity salary was low, but I always felt like I made a difference and would trade the salary for this kind of work again.
Great experience and a great place to work
Residential Worker (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK27 February 2018
The people there were a pleasure to work with. Residents made for an interesting place to work. Management was very understanding and very respectful of employees.
Pros
everyday was a pleasure to come to work
Cons
Not really anything bad to say
It was a fun place to volunteer at and help people out
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK22 February 2018
I enjoyed helping people out during the Christmas holidays who couldn't afford gifts or food and it also helped me learn some social skills which helped when it came to talking to people

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Salvation Army. Our community is ready to answer.

53.4K