The Salvation Army
Information from The Salvation Army:

The Salvation Army Employee Reviews

Canada1,219 reviews
Found 1,219 reviews matching the search
Volunteer work, sorting rations and assisting kitchen
Occasional volunteer work, sorting rations and assisting kitchen.
Typically prepared food hampers and helped clean. Hardest part about it was probably heat. Staff were friendly and welcoming. Environment was comfortable and safe.
Great place to work and volunteer
Enjoyed the interaction with the customers. Sorting was educational and rewarding. Never know what you would come across. The staff are great! Always on hand if you needed help.
great honest work enviorment
Throughout my employment with the salvation army they are very willing and able to train you to be the best at your position. the managers are thoughtful caring people who will guide you on the right path.
You have daily quotas, which some days are hard to meet, staff is fun, and management will work with you when you need days off. Physical labor if you are working in the back. Nice to be able to help people with vouchers or to find what they need at a reasonable price.
productive and great staff
when i worked as a volunteer at the salvation army i never had any problems and i was always comfortable. the staff is great and respectful. the store is always kept clean
Volunteer Supervisor/ Coordinator
I was responsible for recruiting and interviewing as well as keeping files and providing counselling when needed . I ran and oversaw many key programs such as monthly Produce Box, Breakfast, Christmas programs, food sort, Food Bank and community interactions. We were a small staff with an army of volunteers who provide liaison and services for the vulnerable and marginalized
productive work environtment, fun place to work
A typical day job as a fundraiser at salvation army is fun, easy and makes you meet a lot of people from the community and beyond. I live the management and the work culture is enjoyable I don't find any part hard
Dirty, unhelpful staff and coworkers!
No issues with clients, it was staff who were the biggest downfall! Staff didn’t want to help out when I needed assistance to better get an understanding of the work which need to be completed, and which was required daily to keep management informed! Clients were of no issue, staff were the biggest downfall! High turnover rate!
Good people good works
The work done by TSA is important and many people who work there are passionate about helping others. Sadly, some of the senior management team find it difficult to afford the same compassion to their colleagues that they have for those in the community they are helping.

I love what they stand for and love the work they do, but rate them lower on the work life balance and high stress environment.
I would definitely not recommend working in this establishment. The great majority of Management are unprofessional bullies.
I worked at the Salvation Army Grace Manor in Ottawa and here is my experience.The place is a free for all when it comes to management. Management are allowed to stomp all over the hard working employees and even though there is a “so called Union,” employees have little to no human rights. I was a very diligent and hardworking employee and in return for this, my character was assassinated and I was accused of doing things I never did. If you care about yourself and your mental health, I suggest you get a job elsewhere! I’m very glad I did...
Loved the team atmosphere and working with people with levels of difficulties and different backgrounds.
I worked in the store as the cashier. I was responsible for all aspects of cash handling. I would also restock the store, and put away items priced from the warehouse. Was responsible for directing inquiries about assistance. Also, trained to work in the warehouse. Sorting, testing, tagging and pricing merchandise. Very fast paced, but very rewarding as well. You quickly realize that many people struggle in life, and it is enjoyable to brighten their life.
Enjoyable easy workplace.
A typical day on cash would consist of a quick tidy up of the cash and entry ways and making sure bathroom is clean and sanitized. Check your board to make sure you know the sales of the day. Once Store is open you acknowledge customers, hang out clothing tidying as you go, check customers through til, do money/card transactions. Promote store by offering customer appreciation cards for further discount. Keep change rooms clean and tidy. End of day cash out and deposits. Interact with other employees to continue to build a team atmosphere.
college placement
I was really happy to be a part of this amazing organization even though it was for a short time During my Social service worker program at Mohawk .

The staff here are very professional and welcoming.
I have worked with the Salvation Army in a variety of positions and have loved every job I have been assigned.
The Salvation Army is dedicated to helping anyone in need. Throughout the years they have supported my family in a variety of ways. I overall recommend offering your time to help them out.
Awesome place to work with awesome people!
This is a nice place to work. The staff and volunteers are great! The work varies day to day so it's never a boring day at work!
This is a front line and neccessary service.
It was great
Its a great place with great people i reccomend trying it out there they are very organized and give lots of hope and support to vulnerable people who are in need
It was a good first job, learned a lot. Had fun
Learned a lot about the working industry
It helped me build skills, it wasn’t very exciting but I enjoyed it, everyone was nice and was there to help me when needed, I was taught a lot, didn’t work there for long but it was a good job for my very first job
Its a fun place to work
The most enjoyable part of working here is putting a smile on peoples faces through a nice free breakfast and lunch hence giving hope every single day.
An excellent experience by comparison
I have worked in several group homes and this as by far the best experience. The team I was put on was great, the manager was hands on and very supportive. Any issues that came up were addressed fairly quickly. The pay wasn't great but the staff support was amazing.
Good benefits!!
Overall good place to work , caring for individuals with many different types of disabilities, very rewarding job if you have lots of compassion and patience but management needs more training to work better with their employees
Okay
Everything was okay. Management was okay, hours were fair and employees were given okay opportunities, no way too move up in company, usually set in stone what you do.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Salvation Army. Our community is ready to answer.
5.8K