The Rimrock Resort Hotel

The Rimrock Resort Hotel Employee Reviews in Banff, AB

Spa manager when I started was a little tough but she was on top of everything, new manager is a nightmare. I loved most of the people I work with, management was not the best though. Very toxic. Pay was really good though, sometimes over booked though and schedule was hard because a lot of the front desk people for spa weren't trained properly(not their fault). I would definitely work their again if there was different management.
Pros
good pay
Cons
toxic
Amazing company to work for. Management is good. Very proffesional and good work culture. Team members support each other. Higher management doesn't refrain from stepping in when required.
If you are coming to Banff on a working holiday visa and want to spend time actually enjoying the place don't work here ! REPEAT Banquets in summer you are working long, terrible hours. the work is very physical lifting and moving tables and chairs 3/4 of the time (not actually serving). The pay is good as gratuity included but minimal/pooled tips. Talking to friends who were banquet servers at Fairmont, they get paid more than double what we did for the same job. They also have a set pack up/down team so employees are not exhausted doing 12 hour shifts finishing at 4am in the morning. Also with the staff accomodation, in the summer time you are squished in 4 to a room with no balcony. As soon as you quit/leave the company you need to vacate, which is an issue as it is really hard to find somewhere to live in Banff in the summer time. I stayed for much longer than I wanted to with the Banquets team as it is SO hard to find somewhere else to live. The food at the cafeteria did not cater to being vegetarian. Initially what encouraged me to work here was the fact that I was coming to Banff with a job lined up already, as they advertise positions online. If you are coming to Banff to just work and save money you can do that working in banquets in the summer, it is VERY busy. But there are better places to work, where the tips are better and the hours are not as long. This was honestly the worst working experience of my life and I felt trapped here as I could not find anywhere else to live for several weeks. Rimrock improve your pay for your banquet employees! Pay - more...
Management doesn't value staff. Lots of inconvenient split shifts, that requires you to stay in and wait 2-3 hour to come back to work, and workload is too much!
A challenging work place! When it's busy it's a very good place to be. On many days there isn't enough work to stay busy. It's very competitive as many other staff (non massage therapists) also do massage & receive the same pay for services.
Best part of day is dinner but other then that it’s pretty good work environment the staff is great just on busy days it’s pretty crazy. Laundry was backed up other that pretty good on days when it was running smoothly.
I worked at the Rimrock for around 2 years and found the experience to be largely a pleasant one. HR was very helpful, my manager was very cooperative and fun to work with. Other staff at the hotel were all wonderful, though the high turnover rate does get a bit tiresome. Summer is very hectic, but the town of Banff is quite wondeful in the summer. Would recommend on the whole.
Hotel provides staff accomodation. Banff is a very friendly environment to work at as people are very approachable. Family atmosphere indeed. Lots of cross training too which is beneficial to career development
Fun work place with good benefits. Work place dynamic is good. Rules are there for everyone to follow so that makes it easier for hoteliers. Supportive employer.
Pay is great, work/life balance is a challenge. I saw it as an “old boys club” since the managers a dealt with almost daily have been there for at least 20yrs each. Don’t suggest new ideas for anything, and don’t speak up about how you’re treated by certain people
In the Rimrock Resort you will find a nice work environment, they offer you staff accommodation which simplifies everything if you are trying to save money in Banff, also they give you staff meal which is also very helpful. Overall I would recommend anyone to work here. In summer is super busy and during winter slow, sometimes you do not get many shifts and hours.
Expected to be 15 minutes early for shift. Was stated that pay would be included. It was not. Hr team was a pain to work with on any complaint or issue. Overworked and expected to work over shift hours with no compensation. Staff are replaceable and they tell you that from the start. Benefits after a year of work in good standing.
Pros
Decent pay if you work 24/7
Cons
Poor management. Poorly run. Staff treated horribly
Housekeeping department is horribly managed. Everyone sign for a 30-40 hour a week contract but end up doing only 18 to 22 hour (4 weeks in a row) as they hire too many people during low season. They always pressure you to work crazily fast (if you dont really clean the room it's fine as long as you do it quickly) so they don't have to pay you a lot of hours. When it's a busy day they give you an unreachable amount of room to do with no overtime allowed and keep sending you text all day long to ask you to hurry. When it's a low day they pressure you so you work only a few hours and pressure you the same. Staff accom don't furnish basic kitchen gear. You can be up to 5 in the same room with people working nightshift and dayshift in the same room...
If you're looking for a job in Banff in Housekeeping I'd recommend looking elsewhere. The management is horrible and the team is horribly understaffed during the on-season. Employees are blamed for not completing rooms in time even though they give them so many checkouts /stayovers that it's nearly impossible to complete each day, even by their outlined standards. If you're looking for a place that will offer good pay and staff accommodations (by the way, you have to pay for staff accom in the Rimrock) then you can try looking literally anywhere else in the whole town for a place with Staff Accommodations offering the same pay and way less grueling work.
Pros
none for housekeeping
Cons
Stressful, may be forced to work overtime, no set days on/off, harsh manager
Heaps of hours available in the summer, including shifts available in other parts of the hotel, very social environment as the majority of the staff live together in the bottom 4 floors of the hotel...also making it very convenient to get to and from work. Staff accom is pretty rough, if you like your space/sleep and cleanliness, but if you just want to experience living in the Rockies with a group of new friends and have a decent place to work, I'd definitely recommend.
Good place to work just extremely mismanaged with people who really have no clue what’s going on. If you have the “stick it out” mindset you can go far here sadly.
Productive and great staffs, enjoyable workplace...A typical day at work would be busy and fast paced. Set to be pro and on time. I have learned great hospitality and people skills. My co-works are amazing people. Best management and trustworthy towards their employees. There wasn't very much difficulty when it comes to my job. Must try!
The manager of the spa is not capable to hold this position and therefore the spa does not run under control, a lot of mistakes and a very stressful environment.
The worst place I've ever worked. 16 hour shifts 6 days a week, stuff taken by management out of our private rooms when we weren't there, writing letters saying our room is messy even though they gave us no warning of an inspection, gave us no time in our 16 hour a day 6 days a week to do any cleaning and illegally kicked many people out because of messes. Hhorribleabsolutely terrible.
Micro management. They let their people overwork with zero recognition and minimal compensation. One of the most shocking statement I received from a senior manager is, I quote “you need to bring radio every time cuz if you are needed to go and get something you have to do it” despite of the fact you only have 30 mins break. It is unpaid break. So many know it all people that took labour codes the otherway.
The experience was not bad but the Hr management could have been a little more understanding about things. Other then that every one was kind and caring.