The Rec Room

The Rec Room Employee Reviews

Canada105 reviews
Management is useless
There are way too many managers sitting in the office, so ya he never you need them, you find yourself running around the building, leaving customers waiting.
I thought the money was going to be great. Given the location and the amount of people in and out.

But it’s not, the tip out for kitchen and managers is way too high. So basically in order for you to make money your tables have to tip you 15-20% every time. Let’s say you get one table that doesn’t tip and their bill was pretty high, it comes out of your pocket.

I know sucks

When it comes to events sometimes managers “forget” you were part of one and they don’t give you tip out. Most of my coworkers and I had to constantly remind the manager in duty we were part of the paid out events.

I am someone that works a lot so I don’t mind working 23 hrs a day.

But let’s say you wanted a day off, you let the managers know two weeks in advance, you won’t get it.

Most servers will just not show up and the restaurant will be extremely understaffed.

Your money really comes from the long hours not from tips. So if you’re a good bartender go somewhere else.
Pros
You get the Hours you want if you want to work a lot. Amazing people. Fun environment
Cons
Poor management. no days off. Tip out leaves you paying out of pocket.
Honestly - I loved it.
I genuinely did love working here. Like any job, some days could be rough or frustrating with guests/staff/technical issues but most days were great. I supervised a great team, most of the management was amazing (especially the Amusement managers, who are some of the greatest people I’ve worked with) and the GM is top tier - the best GM I’ve worked for in any business in St. John’s.
Prep Cook/Kitchen Helper
Great Place to work. I learned a lot about the proper way to prepare food, work as a team and, I gained knowledge of the pressures of working in a high-volume kitchen. I developed a skill in food preparation and, learned the basics of the hospitality industry.

I developed a better understanding of the career choice of a chef.
A great job on the weekends. Busy and fun environment.
This job was torturous on the weekdays as it was very slow. But the weekends were fun as they kept you busy and gave you the opportunity to put customer service skills to use.
Pros
Free games and cineplex popcorn
Cons
Weekdays were overly slow
fun workplace
I like this job, it helps me to boost my confidence because you have to deal with different types of people.
Supervisor of mine were really nice.

I like working at the REC Room
Fun place to work at
The Rec Room is a fun place to work. The work environment is very lively. You get a lot of shifts if available full time and the pay is good. You meet and come across very many people
Bad Place to Work
Run far away from this place!

Cons:

Managers never have a radio on you are forced to deal with angry customers alone

Calling in sick in very frowned upon, and often results in a write up. Management is ok, general manager and some other managers and very passive aggressive and often make you feel as though you are doing a bad job.

Do not hire enough employees.

Do not respect your schedule preferences, not good for part time work.

Often made to work overtime even when you aren't needed.

Very hard to move up in the company, unless you have an inside way.

8-10 hour shifts.

Tip out was not given, even though it was promised.

10% off food when not working.

No benefits.

Pros:

50% off food when working.

2 hours of games every 2 weeks.

coworkers are the only good thing about this job.
easy to swap shifts and work with your busy life. Overstaffed.
Good if you want a super flexible job, but bad if you want to make money. Busy but tourists tip terribly, management is so disorganised and changes too often. Events are paid on paycheck and you cant see what you really made, lack of transparency with money.
Huge building so lots of running around, most shifts make less than 100$ in tips, many guests don't tip at all, make more money elsewhere with less workplace drama and lack of management.
Worst place I have ever worked - People dont quit jobs they quit managers
My personal experience at the rec room was not a good one. I understand that they are still a newer company trying to figure out everything, but the management was the worst I have ever experienced in my serving career. There is no communication at all between management and staff and there tends to be just complete apathy from management in regards to when you are asking for help, or are trying to address customer concerns. They don't care about their staff. Complete disorganization and overall very unprofessional. One of the absolute worst jobs I have ever worked at. Would not recommend to anyone to work here.
One of the most poorly managed restaurants I’ve ever worked at
I was in complete shock every single shift at the lack of communication and general care the entire management staff has for their employees at the Rec Room. The disconnect between staff and management is huge, the staff is constantly left in the dark about events and even given redacted documents when it comes to knowledge of large parties. Upper management is completely apathetic towards their staff and flat out do not care DO NOT WORK HERE
Terrible management
Worst place to work at. Extremely disfuctional, zero communication among the management. Bully culture. It can get very toxic and everyone likes just gossiping. Very unfair with regular workers and the surpvisors and management
fun, fast paced, lots of great people.
The RecRoom wasn't a bad place to work but getting promoted is not a likely thing to happen there. Some of the management is dumb and a lot of employees don't actually do their job.
Love the people I work with
The work atmosphere at The Rec Room is amazing and I appreciate everyone I work with. I find that there is not a lot of collaboration between the different areas of the workplace and there needs to be more communication, but overall I enjoy going to work
stressful but fun
stressful but fun!!!! as it is like anywhere else the restaurant can get busy and hectic, if you like fast paced this is the place you want to be...….
Worst management I've ever worked for in a kitchen overall
Chef does nothing but sit in an office, only 1 sous and a couple supervisors actually helped and motivated the team, the other sous' and supervisors just picked favourites and slacked off and allowed their pals too as well forcing the actual hard workers to pick up their slack. Mediocre night out experience, way too overpriced in my opinion, subpar food that plenty of which comes in frozen or outsourced because everyone there stopped caring long ago. I opened the restaurant and enjoyed most of my coworkers other than the rumour making scumbag sous that works for them
Cashier to Event coordinator
Work environment was phenomenal 10/10
Hours of work sucked. Be prepared for no weekends and LATE nights (3am).

Made great friendships

Learned lot of fun and new things for other jobs in the future

Met A TON of actors / Toronto famous people

Management sucked. Don’t expect to move up in the company unless you’re liked
horrible place to work
my boss was extremely rude and stressful and made me question my abilities to perform my duties. not worth the stress of working there. I wont even step foot in that place now.
Fast paced work place with a fairly good management team
They definitely give you lots of opportunity to learn and advance if you are willing to put in the effort, had a lot of fun with most of my team members, the management team is pretty good but things are always changing which puts stress on the entire team. Minimum wage plus tips feels really low for how much work you're doing, but once you move up to server or bartender the tips become a lot more substantial. Overall a pretty great place to work.
Work environment
They are lucky I can't give them 0 stars. Horrible management. If you don't gossip like they all do, you are not part of the team and they will just make you feel uncomfortable most of the time. Don't even bother to apply here. Make yourself a favour and apply somewhere else. You are welcome.
working here was a joke
no one cares about the job that needs to been done here its like working in the set of highschool muscial but if it was a kitchen. another high turn over rate kitchen from head chef to dish washers no one wants to stay here.
Not worth it. Very bad management
The management is awful.
They are disrespectful and they undermine their employees. And the tip outs for the kitchen is horrible. Would not recommend the place unless they change their management.