The Rec Room Employee Reviews

Fun
Cook/Prep (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 March 2019
You get to meet a lot of important people in this industry. I am glad this is the field I went into. I don't only have fun when on set, but also after work networking with some really great people.
Awful company that treats their employees unfairly
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 March 2019
The WORST company to work for. sticking around for 3 years was too long. There is a extreme lack of communication and organisation.They under pay you and treat you like complete GARBAGE. The staff here are trapped because we love each other like family and the tips are good. Members have had to go on stress leave due to the way this place makes you feel. The harassment is REAL. Due to the lack of everything a company should stand for it is often leaving its employees to deal and pick up these broken pieces. I poured my heart and soul into this company for 3 years and NOTHING has changed. Anytime a employee would speak up they would get canned.Save yourself the stress and DO NOT WORK HERE.
working at rec room
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 March 2019
Was a good place to work at in the beginning. After awhile you notice how unorganized and unprofessional the staff can be. After 5 months I had to leave for my sanity.
It a good place to work not the best
Line/prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON6 March 2019
The management and workplace is very nice and friendly . Great. Can be pretty disorganized it busy and only been open 2 years so there are reason for it . They will help but just remember to double check things in the building like especially your schedule. If you don't show they don't call especially if it's busy and will ask the next day
what you see is not what you get
bartender (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 January 2019
Overall opinion..

bartending there can be lucrative if the place is busy (its DEAD IN THE SUMMER!)..

management - middle management were ok. Some we nice ..some were not...upper mgmt. were not nice ppl at all...

schedule - they were good with my sched

I would not work there again..not a great experience.
Pros
cool enviornement
Cons
managers were not kind. co workers we 50/50
Coworkers
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 January 2019
The best thing about working at the Rec Room was the people you worked with, it made every day enjoyable. I enjoyed working at the Rec Room overall...
fun
Lead Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 January 2019
it was fun working at the rec room but a lot of lazy people work there and souse cheff dont know how to cook and lazy but it was a good experience working there
Pros
free lunch
Cons
Management takes everything that happens in the workplace, personally
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 January 2019
You don’t get any breaks, doesn’t matter if you’re working 5 hours or 8. if you ask to take a break they’ll tell you it’s too busy; even if you’re not the only host working. management doesn’t care about you or the concerns brought to them from their employees. the less hours you work, the less tips you get. super unorganized workplace. if there are new polices they will not be told to you, only way you’ll find out is when you get in trouble for doing whatever the new rules say you can’t do. A LOT of favouritism from managers/supervisors. communication between the employees and managers when it gets busy is horrible.
Pros
good people
Cons
everything else
Super flexible, good hours
FOH Hostess (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 December 2018
I’ve been with the Rec room who has been with them for awhile and speaking as an FOH hostess. From what I’ve experienced, I really like it. The shifts range from 5 -8 hours. If you send in your availability early enough they will most likely approve it, and they’ve been super accommodating with me and my other jobs. As any other host, your expected to invite guests to the building and to their tables. Take, confirm, and set up reservations. Not too much to it. Super easy. Of course weekends get busier but that’s just the atmosphere of the Rec room, it’s popular to the public.

From what I’ve read on here, I’d like to mention that the amusement side and FOH hostess side and kitchen All run on different types of management. different supervisors for each department. Yes the amusement side is a little bit of a gong show with the super long hours and lack of staff but they’ve definitely improved over the last couple months. Management wise for the FOH hostess, love them. They really get to know you as a person and how you’re doing. Recently took a trip to Mexico? They’ll ask you how it went. Had a new sibling? They’re excited for you. I haven’t had a problem with any of the management but I can’t speak for Everyone. As long as you come in with your positive attitude and not be lazy and not just stand around to look useless, you’re fine. The more higher-up management are pretty nice too. Never had a problem with them but then again our conversations are usually pretty short.

I sort of wish we had a staff team party with the couple years I’ve been with this company. Something
  more... for the staff to show their appreciation. But it is a new company so I understand they’re still figuring things out.  less
Pros
Accommodating to schedules if you send in request early enough, super nice staff, supportive team members, 2 hour game bands for staff
Cons
Tips are based on how many hours you work (less hours less tips)
Complete Unorganized Dumpster Fire
Amusement Host (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 December 2018
I worked at the edmonton west location until recently, most incompetent managers, they were awful to staff and if you get very ill good luck getting days off. They treat you like they own you, can never leave early if you try, and one manager in particular is very rude. I thought this would be a new and exciting job, but I left with a feeling of relief. I recommend never applying here. They schedule for 5 to 6 shifts a week full time hours, but because of there payment system you are only getting paid part time. Again I reccommend stay away!
Pros
Cons
All of them
Bad Management & Hours
Animator (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC11 December 2018
We have a hours sign in excel spread sheet where we confirm our hours and our shifts. Most of the times it is confirmed only 2-3 days in advance. We are given a short summary of what will happen at the parties but not enough to know what we have to do. We are given orders from our venue reps periodically throughout the shift on what needs to be done for the party. Often we are even over staffed at certain parties because there are too many parents around which leads us to do nothing when the children are playing. Lastly, we get 3 hours per weekend and sometimes get luckier with the hours because we have way too many employees.
Pros
Free food from clients & Good first job for young students.
Cons
No pay stubs, Mismanaged, Disorganized, Rude
meh.
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 November 2018
This job is terrible in my opinion. I only like a few co workers and the fact that theres good hours and tip out. Management is terrible. Communication is lacking, the servers treat you horribly. I don't recommend. No room for growth either so don't hold your breath.
Pros
Easy tasks
Cons
rude coworkers and management
Pretty Good
Amusement Host (Former Employee) –  London, ON26 November 2018
Overall great staff and managers but long hours that sometimes go til 2:30am, also most of the job consisted of walking in a circle for hours and seeing if people were enjoying themselves which can some time get a little boring
Pros
Amazing Managers
Cons
late hours
Fun and Easy going environment
Server (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 October 2018
fact paced environment with a good work schedule. The management could have used a little more structure and organization. The staff was frend;yand extremely helpful to new employees that needed a little extra help
Doesn’t deserve event 1 star
Games Host (Former Employee) –  West Edmonton Mall, AB14 October 2018
Worked for over one year- loved job and co-workers until August when Management turned over. Hours reduced, don’t give committed staff consistent hours but keep hiring. Bullying behaviour by managers became the norm. Unkind and cruel in their dealings with staff. Won’t provide references. Absolutely not worth your time to apply.
Pros
Used to be fun.
Cons
Management treats staff as disposable.
You have to be cool enough to fit in
Food Runner / Server Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 September 2018
Management makes the work environment a place of gossip. Most days feel like you're on the outskirts of the popular group in high school and you have to be cool enough to fit into the group.
Pros
Tips
Cons
No free food, very small discount on food, food health hazards
n/a
SOUS CHEF (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 September 2018
most of the staff wasn't respect, they promise them a lot benefits and then they want us to lie about it and that affect my integrity thats why I decide to quit me and 37 more staff from all the areas.
They don't care
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 September 2018
Most unprofessional professional looking job possible.Management doesn't know what they're doing when running a multi million dollar building, and it seems like they find whoever they can get. No one really cares and you can see it and feel it. Feels like all workers are treated like slaves.None of the work practices they try to teach are even safe and managers don't care about cleanliness at all which is rare to see.
Pros
nothing
Cons
management, work environment, work practices
Great on paper
Kitchen (Former Employee) –  London, ON2 September 2018
A lot of problems with this company. Working for them was extremely difficult. Their corporate team makes the job a lot harder then it has to be. 5 locations in and they still don’t have the kinks worked out
Pros
Free games, even though I never used them
Cons
Too many
management in all departments needed to be improved
Prep Cook and Aquatech (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 August 2018
loved working with my peers, but the management made it very difficult to be happy where i was. i was a cook there and wanted to continue. unfortunately quit, due to favouritism, gossiping, disrespect, and abuse of power.
Pros
free lunches and coworkers were cool