The Portia Learning Centre

The Portia Learning Centre Employee Reviews

Do not work here

I cannot stress enough the damage that working at the Portia Learning Center will do - not only to your mental health and well-being but any chance at a career at other centers. Therapists at Portia have a bad reputation due to the poor management, training, and stress that is put on us as therapists. DO NOT WORK HERE. If you are thinking of becoming certified - RUN. This place has so many ethical violations, I am not sure how they have not lost their license yet or someone lost their credentials. The place is dirty, the toys are broken and the rooms are falling apart. Not a good place to work at all.

Run far away!

This place was the most toxic environment to work in. The staff are caddy and management sucks; always making you feel bad and judged when you ask questions or ask for clarification. The pay is terrible and does not compare to any other therapy places. Your mental health will be affected and burn out will settle in. The turnover rate for staff is wild which in turn affects everyone there. This company is very money hungry and doesn't actually care about the clients. Staff talk about clients, client families and their situations in front of many other people to hear. Honestly just run, there are lots of other centres who do the same work who are way more professional and apply proper ABA therapy.

Pros

The clients and their progress

Cons

Everything else

Terrible

The Portia Learning centre is terribly managed. I have anxiety from time to time but this job made it unbearable. I would have panic attacks at least one a week working here. The management do not care about their staff of clients. The amount of work the therapists do is overwhelming and we get no recognition for any of it. You need a masters degree if you want to consider moving up in the company and the pay is terrible. After handing in my two week notice the managers and senior therapists were very hostile towards me which genuinely showed how little they really care. Over all would not recommend working here.

Stay Far Away From This Awful Company

Working at The Portia Learning Centre has been nothing short of a nightmare. Management is extremely hostile and rude and the overall workplace environment is toxic. You will be put in situations that will take a toll on your mental health and safety, without any form of support. The Portia Learning Centre manages its staff on a fear-based system, where you are scrutinized over the ways in which you conduct your work. The low wages are not worth the amount of work they pile on you. It is quite clear that the company favours making money over the well-being of staff and clients. The benefits are also a joke and are given on a shared group basis. Please do yourself a favour and avoid working at this awful company if you truly love working within the field of ABA, because this company will make you hate it.

Pros

Absolutely nothing

Cons

Pay, Work load, Management

Terrible company

This was literally the worst job I have ever had! It seems great when you start, but it goes downhill so fast. The work environment is very hostile and people only advance (promotions, raises etc.) if they kiss management's a**. Management will also lie to you point-blank. It is very much a company that only cares about money and does not actually care about the kids or the families. Therapists are not appreciated by management and there is so much gossip that goes around (between therapists and management). They don't handle situations well and therapists get very minimal training. Pay is awful compared to the things you will have to put up with. I could literally go on all day about how horrible the Portia Learning Centre is. Would not wish it upon my worst enemy to work here. Do yourself a favour and find a different job. If I could give zero stars, I absolutely would.

Pros

Kids

Cons

Bad pay, management sucks, gossip, not enough resources, burnout, (I could go on all day).

Anxiety Inducing

I have not had anxiety issues in many years, but I found the atmosphere at Portia really provoked it. I felt that I never fit in there, and felt alone as a result to the lack of direct communication and poor management presences. I felt singled out and treated very differently than the other women (all women staff).

Pros

working with children

Cons

miscommunication, last minute changes to schedule

Extreme Micromanagement

I feel like this job was a stepping stone in the field of ABA, but towards the end I felt very overworked. Salary isn't that great when starting off and it's difficult to move up. I felt very micromanaged by the senior therapists and developed a lot of stress and anxiety because of it. New therapists would constantly be thrown in with the kiddos and expected to do one-to-one therapy without a lot of training. Therapists would also be switched with different kids almost every day. It can definitely be a very stressful job and feeling micromanaged didn't help. On the other hand, I really enjoyed the kids and the instructor therapists.

Pros

Kids

Cons

High turnover, Salary, Micromanagement

Awful

Look elsewhere. You are treated like nothing more than a dollar bill to the company. Little to no support for the therapists. Terrible management (a lot of gossip) you have to wait a year prior to having benefits. They have a contract that you are forced to sign. They don’t look at what you do, no promotions unless you are a “brown noser”

Cons

Worst job I have ever had

Awful place to work, management treats staff horribly and compensation is terribly low for the hard work and effort that you put into in. How they do business seemed dirty to me- when I worked there, services came to the door demanding money be paid, while the kids were running around by the front door. It was a scary situation. Not a safe environment for children atall in my eyes, and if I ever had a child that needed services, I would never come here. Run from this place, and fast. The staff were extremely caddy and spent a lot of time gossiping about the families and each other, which I found extremely unprofessional. The place wasn't clean, and it felt really dirty, so be prepared to get sick from the germs from both the kiddos and how the place is maintained. Dont expect to be applauded from buying your own materials- they provide you with nothing and you are expected to buy your own things- they dont mention this however, its more of a 'nudge-nudge' that you will pick up on. No room for growth or professional development and no performance reviews. To me it seemed that they don't work with staff and if there's anyone they dont like, for whatever reason, they fire them. They also fire people when they take sick time, and will do it while that person is off sick.

Pros

Cons

Everything- literally.

Look Elsewhere

Overall amazing children and rewarding work, however, with the high turnover rate the training becomes subpar, children are given a new therapist everyday which unjust to their learning and there is little to no support from management. Pay is completely unfair compared to the work and if you want to be the best you can be for the child you will be planning things at home not getting paid.

Pros

Children

Cons

Pay, management, contact

Lots of support, terrible pay, high turnover

Everyone who works at Portia love the kids, the environment and coworkers. The work is truly rewarding, they are for the most part very organized. Compared to other similar industries it was refreshing to have work-life balance and mental health be given priority. Staff always get breaks and support if facing a challenging moment. If you have a background in child psych; autism; etc there is great training to become a therapist. For those hired without the education or experience it is a big challenge and it's noticeable in the work. Most of their phenomenal therapists however, can't and won't stay because the pay is insulting (the idea that therapists that assist the most vulnerable get paid as if they work in retail). Anyone who progresses must obtain a Masters Degree. It's really the biggest maybe only downside and it's sadly across the industry.

Pros

amazing clients; great coworkers; supportive management; lots of training

Cons

Terrible pay

Horrible place to work

Do yourself a favour and look for another job. Horrible horrible place to work. The girls there gossip a lot about the children’s personal family matters, extremely catty and fake, sometimes the way the children are treated is not appropriate at all. The management is horrendous! They could care less about their staff, especially the senior therapist with the red hair. All they care about is the money! They say some unkind things about the children’s parents behind their backs. Working there was just a nightmare to say the least. Very toxic and depressing environment. You will most definitely get burnt out from this job - not because of the children, but because of their toxic staff.

Pros

The kids.

Cons

Everything else.

Company does not take care of their employees

This company values revenue over everything, on days with icy rain and dangerous road conditions, they still want you to come in. They let kids come in when they are sick, consequentially infecting staff who then go home to infect their families. Fleas, colds flues. They clearly do not care about their employees safeties. Extremely and unethically low starting salary + if you quit within the first year, you have to pay them back the cost of their training. Starting salary does not cover the cost of living in the area. You don't get any benefits when you're starting out, and when you eventually do get health benefits, you also have to pay for it. Management takes a long time to set you up with your own tools, instead you'll be spending time bothering others to use their tools while you still don't have your own. On top of all this, the job is a stressful one, by no means a relaxing job with kids, and you have to follow very strict standards, all of which are not worth the low wage and no benefits, and even sometimes risking your life to go to work because they won't give days off when roads are in dangerous conditions, so you either suck it up and hope you don't die or you call in sick and not get paid.

Amazing work with awesome clients and the best management

I love my job! The pay is pretty much the worst, but I don't get up each day for a pay check. I get up and work because I love how Portia delivers therapy. I love my kids and I feel respected and appreciated by my boss. Don't get into therapy for they pay. Do it for the love of kids. Do it because you think everyone should have a chance to learn.

High-intensity, rewarding-but-underpaid job

I learned a ton working for this organization! It was both incredibly rewarding and challenging working one-on-one with kids on the autism spectrum. Helping them to progress through their programs was exciting and interesting. Given how demanding the work was, it's disappointing that the organization pays most of their employees just-above minimum wage. They do provide training, but the job is not easy and could be compensated more fairly.

Poor management and potentially unethicalpractices

I worked them for a while when just starting out so I didn't know any better. It was also a while ago so things may have changed. I found the management to be poor at multiple levels. Lead therapist, and top management. Senior therapists were overworked but were good regardless. I felt like sometimes parents were paying for 1:1 therapy but were getting 2:1 in reality with no consent given. It was definitely more of a business to them than an ABA centre.

Be Mentally Prepared

Overral working there is a learning experience, but if you are not mentally nor emotionally prepared for a challenge, I wouldn't to into this work field . The kids you work with are great, you create a wonderful bond with them but its not always roses and peaches which is expected. The management team needs a lot of work done that was really the only downfall that I did not like.

Pros

The kids, good hours

Left after a few weeks

I worked here for a few weeks, the staff were all very helpful and nice but also quite cliquey. The wage just wasn't worth it. I was thrown into things I was not properly trained to do, which is fine because I don't mind helping but also not fair to the kids.

Good First Job!

This was my first job in the field of ABA. I thoroughly enjoyed my time here, and miss it terribly! It was a hard job, but a fair job, and I think the hardest part was being able to get the support needed when learning new techniques.

Not the best but you will learn

Overall poor work culture very little regard for employees but the work is good and the progress the clients can make is rewarding. They are quickly growing in numbers and trying to improve upon some things.

Portia

The wages aren't competitive, but it's a great place to go and get training from if you have little experience in the field. The staff are very supportive and are willing to help you learn anything you inquire about. The management on the other hand is not supportive of mental health needs or letting staff know that are appreciated in any way. The senior therapists are the most supportive out of all management and they truly care about seeing you succeed. Very high turn over rate which can be hard on the children that are supported there.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Portia Learning Centre. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

1.9