The Pickle Barrel

The Pickle Barrel Employee Reviews

Canada75 reviews
I think I got lied to, just say the truth next time!
Hired on as Prep, told me that head office was eliminating the position shortly after. Why do I see recent new prep positions job postings all the time!
Stressful
Customers were either the best or you got the worst of the worst. Environment was mostly toxic with most staff and management. Cliquey as heck, hours were cut, and i never received tips on how to improve as a server only got my hours reduced. And when I finally left I received a bitter goodbye lol
Enjoyable and fast-paced work environment
My co-workers were very nice and always willing to help. I really enjoyed the fast paced work environment when there were a lot of people in the restaurant.
Productive and fun workplace
The Pickle Barrel is a wonderful place to work and gain experience. It has a fun, competitive and loving environment, it's full of great opportunities , it has a friendly staff, delicious food, flexible schedule, and a good hourly pay,
First job opportunity
This was my first paid job and gave me experience in the restaurant industry. The Pickle Barrel location that I worked at closed 2 months after I began working
busy
Customers were great, tips were great. very big and busy building. lots of training with the menu knowledge. 2 weeks before your on the floor making money on your own.
Pros
customers
Cons
some management
Server
Fun environment but very fast-paced. The menu is very hard to learn as it is as long as a novel and they allow for any kind of substitution. Reservations cannot be made in advance so as a server, you can get insanely busy with tables of 8 or more at one time. Food is fairly cheap so tips are not the greatest.
Productive and fun place to work.
Good place for growth, if you put in the work it will be recognized. Absolutely hands on management style needed though. Be prepared to work all over the store doing whatever is needed.
The job was stressful, the people made it better
For the amount of money you make, the job duties were extensive and often stressful. Extremely large sections can get overwhelming. The staff though are awesome to work with
Pros
Staff discount at all Recipe restaurants
Cons
Stressful and busy
A company that strives for customer service excellence
Pickle Barrel was a great company to work for. I grew from a Server to Lead Supervisor within a year. I am grateful for the management team that has taught me my conflict resolution skills and will take that knowledge with me to future roles.
positive environment
the other servers and kitchen staff are very friendly and easy to get along with. Simple mistakes are sometimes blown out of proportion and hours are not very good. would recommend if looking for 5-10 hours a week
Cons
no breaks, fast pace
draining workplace
understaffed, very short hours in which you are over worked and can be dong 3 jobs at once, employees arguing

this place has gone downhill since new ownership happened
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
very short hours
this place is worse that high school
Hello, I worked at Pickle Barrel not too long ago, all I can say is this place is drama, drama, and drama. Management is terrible and treats you like scum. Employees have their own little cliques and enjoy to harras each other creating drama every day. Management puts 0 effort what so ever other than checking out their Instagrams and verbally abusing staff. Stress level is out of the roof, managers love to push everyone's buttons to set them off for them to SNAP, and when an employee reacts to being harassed by managers such as (talkback) you get written up without even being told by management and you become one of the "hated ones" receiving fewer shifts and shorter shifts, receiving dirty looks by managers, and no teamwork at all, being left as an "outsider", basically forcing you to quit so they don't need to go through the process of termination. It is so sad to see after three years of working at this place you get to see everyone's true colors. You do the most for your co-workers and managers and the company itself, and all you get in return is a slap in the face and no shifts. The amount of stress, anxiety, and crying that has gone into this place is SO not worth the PETTY CASH you receive. DO NOT APPLY UNLESS YOU WANT TO QUIT IN A WEEK.
Pros
One or two friends you will meet
Cons
Super friendly environment but can be hectic sometimes
This was my first serving job ever and I really enjoyed it. Ofcourse it had its days where it was hectic and stressful but thats with most food industries. The management was really friendly but a little unorganized at times. Overall, it was a fun job!
Pros
socials; experience
Cons
inconsistent working hours
productive but hard
You feel very welcome in the crew, everyone was friendly, I learned how to use the cash register for the most part, but it was hard, due to the fact that they leave you alone on the second day even if you don't know what you are doing fully, the hardest part was working in takeout because of the cash register and sometimes the the food gets moved around on it, so I had to try and find it.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
not enough hours
Fast-paced & positive environment
Working as a hostess at Pickle Barrel pushed me outside of my comfort zone, and now I have great communication skills and provide exceptional customer service skills.
I don't get paid
I worked here as a co-op student, or in other words, I don't/cannot be paid. Co-op is a high school program, so in other words, I get high school credits for working.
A lot of work
If you are looking for a job that take a lot out of you mentally and physically then by all means. But you run around with no support from management you get yelled at and made to feel not good enough. When you need help you always have to run around finding management. I wouldn't recommend working here
Pros
Foods good and fellow employees are fun
Cons
Low bills, smal tips, emotional distress
Great staff/terrible customers
Great people, but during rushes clientele tends to be rude. In a mall, and beside Bass Pro Shops. However, a benefit is that the menu is so large, you never feel like you are eating the same food.
Pros
50% off meals when working
Cons
Big Tip Out
Horrible
Management is absent, customers are extremely demanding, rude staff, not a pleasant place to work at all. The managers used to show up drunk at the Yonge & Eglinton Location and the GM Arthur is rude, abrasive, judgemental, sexist and discriminatory towards customers and staff. Refuses to do any legitimate work yet will yell at staff for not being where he wants them at all times.
Fast Paced and Exciting
Busy restaurant service job, lots of customers coming in everyday and having high expectations that need to bet met. Food was mediocre. Overall good experience.