The Pickle Barrel Employee Reviews

this place is worse that high school
Server (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON10 May 2019
Hello, I worked at Pickle Barrel not too long ago, all I can say is this place is drama, drama, and drama. Management is terrible and treats you like scum. Employees have their own little cliques and enjoy to harras each other creating drama every day. Management puts 0 effort what so ever other than checking out their Instagrams and verbally abusing staff. Stress level is out of the roof, managers love to push everyone's buttons to set them off for them to SNAP, and when an employee reacts to being harassed by managers such as (talkback) you get written up without even being told by management and you become one of the "hated ones" receiving fewer shifts and shorter shifts, receiving dirty looks by managers, and no teamwork at all, being left as an "outsider", basically forcing you to quit so they don't need to go through the process of termination. It is so sad to see after three years of working at this place you get to see everyone's true colors. You do the most for your co-workers and managers and the company itself, and all you get in return is a slap in the face and no shifts. The amount of stress, anxiety, and crying that has gone into this place is SO not worth the PETTY CASH you receive. DO NOT APPLY UNLESS YOU WANT TO QUIT IN A WEEK.
Pros
One or two friends you will meet
productive but hard
Takeouts (Former Employee) –  Thornhill, ON30 April 2019
You feel very welcome in the crew, everyone was friendly, I learned how to use the cash register for the most part, but it was hard, due to the fact that they leave you alone on the second day even if you don't know what you are doing fully, the hardest part was working in takeout because of the cash register and sometimes the the food gets moved around on it, so I had to try and find it.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
not enough hours
Fast-paced & positive environment
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Thornhill, ON1 April 2019
Working as a hostess at Pickle Barrel pushed me outside of my comfort zone, and now I have great communication skills and provide exceptional customer service skills.
I don't get paid
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 March 2019
I worked here as a co-op student, or in other words, I don't/cannot be paid. Co-op is a high school program, so in other words, I get high school credits for working.
A lot of work
Employee (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON27 January 2019
If you are looking for a job that take a lot out of you mentally and physically then by all means. But you run around with no support from management you get yelled at and made to feel not good enough. When you need help you always have to run around finding management. I wouldn't recommend working here
Pros
Foods good and fellow employees are fun
Cons
Low bills, smal tips, emotional distress
Great staff/terrible customers
Manager/Bartender/Server (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON11 January 2019
Great people, but during rushes clientele tends to be rude. In a mall, and beside Bass Pro Shops. However, a benefit is that the menu is so large, you never feel like you are eating the same food.
Pros
50% off meals when working
Cons
Big Tip Out
Horrible
Server/Hostess (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 November 2018
Management is absent, customers are extremely demanding, rude staff, not a pleasant place to work at all. The managers used to show up drunk at the Yonge & Eglinton Location and the GM Arthur is rude, abrasive, judgemental, sexist and discriminatory towards customers and staff. Refuses to do any legitimate work yet will yell at staff for not being where he wants them at all times.
Fast Paced and Exciting
Server/Expediter (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 September 2018
Busy restaurant service job, lots of customers coming in everyday and having high expectations that need to bet met. Food was mediocre. Overall good experience.
Fast paced
Server (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 August 2018
A work place that is always on the go, a great place to meet new people and build relationships with regular customers. A high end work place where quality matters.
Ok money but no development
Server/Bartender (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 July 2018
The management is at most of the times oblivious about what happens on the floor. They do not attempt to get into the employee issues nor do they care about employee development. They have a comprehensive training program. However when you start your job they are lacking on the application part.
Productive and fun work place
Server (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON6 July 2018
I learned a lot working at Pickle Barrel from learning how to manage a fast paced work environment to challenging myself with trying something new, such as bartending! I was lucky enough to have a taste of each department at Pickle Barrel, such as, hosting, cooking, deserts, the odd bartending shift and serving! There was lots of growth working at Pickle Barrel, only downside was the commute. Other than that, it was a fun, family-like work environment!
Pros
Free Lunches, Great Tips, Growth
Cons
Long Hours, Unreliable Managment
fun
Informally recognized as Lead Server (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON26 June 2018
Fun place to work. Great team, good tips. I only left because of school. The food is always great here. The culture is fantastic. I would definitely recommend.
a lot of work
Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON10 June 2018
been working there for past 5 years as a service manager and it was not fun! They want to save on labour no matter what, and it means a manager needs to clean the tables and cook if its necessary. but you can make good money and also its very easy going job unlike other restaurant pushing the numbers.
Pros
stability
Cons
long hours and hard work
Gained personal work skills and the rapidly paced environment fostered highly efficient work ethic
Server and training coordinator (Former Employee) –  Thornhill, ON14 May 2018
The workplace culture was so important as working in the restaurant requires team effort. This was both the most challenging and rewarding part about the job.
good job for students
Dessert Chef (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ON9 May 2018
good part time job for students but I only get two shifts a week. I'd prefer to get three shifts a week. still better than my last job at McDonald's though
Job Review
Hostess and Trainer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 May 2018
It is a typical restaurant fast-paced working environment. My manager was GREAT! but the General Manager and other managers do not understand communication.
hard fast place
sauté Cook (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 May 2018
only few know how to speak fluent English and the front of house managers are not to nice to the staff . the conditions there are bad and i wouldn't bring anything nice and expect to keep it
Pros
free meals and drink
Cons
long hours, rushed on breaks
Fun job
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON11 April 2018
Staff was not the best
Customers can sometimes be rude
Easy job
Short shifts
Staff are sometimes rude and are not able to do their job correctly
Typical Day is not stressful
Productive, multitask
Bartender (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 March 2018
Over the past 4 months at my current job, I have picked up a variety of skills in handling diverse kinds of customers, managing work pressure, memorizing and taking orders, maintaining a pleasant demeanor and offering the highest level of customer service.
Fast paced environment
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 February 2018
- Lots of organizing required
- Pay attention to detail when dealing with customers
- Very busy at dinner time so lots of chance for social interaction with customers
Pros
Gained organization skills
Cons
Long hours on feet

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Pickle Barrel. Our community is ready to answer.