The Ottawa Hospital

• Fair pay for job
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Supportive environment

Fast paced

This place is suitable for those who love new challenges and ready to action immediately. The work volume is very high which needs employees to be organized and focused to details.

There is no management. Just people running around with fancy titles that lie a lot. The doctors don’t say hi to anyone. It’s a shark tank!

This hospital has a very nasty mean culture.Nothing is done about it ever.They like to hire young new staff as they don’t know the difference yet!

Pros

Cons

Long hours that you don’t get paid for.

Productive and clean environment

Don’t expect to get career advancement if you don’t have connections. Your education, skills and experience would not matter if you don’t have connections.

Pros

Excellent teaching hospital

Cons

If you are rpn don’t expect salary increase. You will be overworked and underpaid.

Good back up from other staff and unit supports.

Good place to learn and ability to train and try different areas. Educators on day shift to help with new skills and learning. Hardest part is not getting time off unless the highest in seniority.

Pros

Good back up from other staff and unit supports.

Cons

Usually denied vacation and time off, unless the highest in seniority.

It was a great place to work! Learned how to serve to patients. I loved my coworkers. Super fun and relaxed job. Really simple straight forward stuff.

Pros

pay, workplace culture

Great place, ideas welcomed, open door policy with management.

Excellent place to work for social workers. Overall the pros outweigh the cons. If your a casual, you will have alot of work - you won't have to worry about being called in. The pay is excellent, but your going to "work!" It's a busy place, and expect to be pushed. Especially with Covid-19 - discharge planning is intense.

Difficult jobs, heavy workloads

The Ottawa Hospital has physically and mentally challenging jobs and the managers are not always supportive. It is a large hosoital and they treat nurses like a number. You are replaceable.

Pros

Job security

Cons

Heavy workloads, no staff parking close

Sucking the life out of RNs

Burned out from work overload as an RN in Cancer Care. If you want to work yourself to death and get a meal for half your family as a reward for 30 years of service, this employer is your best bet. You will also be a little poorer every year with your 0- 1/3 of cost of living raise. You will be called a hero during the pandemic, and not get a raise because the reward is in serving the hospital and community.

Pros

Loving our patients and coworkers.

Cons

Don’t care about RNs, will work you into an early grave.

Advance. Learning

Great place to work and environment.Team atmosphere, staff is friendly.Training and opportunities for advancement.Great schedules.Great atmosphere and always learning.

TOH is a great family!

I'm proud to have worked for TOH.The management, work and team were great.The facilities may be disappointing due to the age of the building (Civic) and the parking is a pain. Now with teleworking, it is another positive story.

Pros

Benefits, Culture, Management, and so many more.

Cons

Age of facilities, parking, and inappropriate furniture

Some very rude people in PACU

Civic Campus: I was treated very bad by colleagues and management didn't support me. The Nurse Educator was on leave while I was doing my orientation, then came back and expected me to show understanding of things she never taught me and I had no prior knowledge of. Staff wasn't supportive.

Pros

Nice cafeteria and stores on 1st level

Cons

Bad Management, Crude and Rude staff, Bad Nurse Educator

Very productive workplace with many pleasant co-workers.

I worked for over thirty years, and retired from there. Met very helpful people who trained me until I could be left to work on my own. I had the best experience.

Pros

We were treated to lunches.

Know someone you are hired

This place is very good for someone who know the hiring manager or someone to affect him. We saw people hired with completely different field of study or experience also employees promoted to roles not related to their field. High tech people are quickly dominating leading positions in this place and there is no room for advancement if you are hardworking as they like to put the wrong person in the wrong position

Pros

No stress in work

Cons

No advancement in work only to social people

I would NOT recommend working here as a career.

No recognition for outstanding work. Union protects the lazy and incoherent employees. No compassion towards employees. Management is horrible. Basically you are merely just a replaceable number, rather than a respected or valued employee. Management targets certain people to do extra unpaid work.

Pros

Pay is good.

Cons

Not worth the headaches

The staff are great and the culture and environment is very welcoming of new staff

I had a really good time at the TOH. I have worked there for 2+years and have met wonderful people. Management is also supportive (mostly). I would say the pay is nice too. The only downside is that they don't have a lot of permanent full-time positions.

Pros

free lunches

Cons

Not enough full time positions

Great place to work and environment. Team atmosphere, staff is friendly. Training and opportunities for advancement. Great schedules. Great atmosphere and always learning.

Innovative and challenging workplace, great opportunities.

Lots of people make this hospital run but you definitely feel part of the team. Got to meet a lot of friendly faces. Felt like I made a difference in the lives of the people I met and worked with.

Very exciting project

The days were a blur, never a dull moment. I appreciated the opportunity to be creative and the opportunity to help others with the good that The Ottawa Hospital does for so many people in the Ottawa area and beyond.

Fast and productive

The management team and the employees are very fun to be with. They treated me very well and I am enjoyed working for them. The day goes by really fast with the amount of work there is.

Excellent place to work

I like the working atmosphere, friendly staff, reasonable work hours. Most NP positions are unionized that negatively affect NP salary, educational benefits and work hours. No negotiation is possible when you are unionized.

Awesome

I am enjoying working at the hospital. It was a good and awesome experience wherein i am able to have a bedside care which is my first love profession as a nurse way back home.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Ottawa Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement