The Ottawa Hospital

The Ottawa Hospital Employee Reviews

I'm proud to have worked for TOH.The management, work and team were great.The facilities may be disappointing due to the age of the building (Civic) and the parking is a pain. Now with teleworking, it is another positive story.
Pros
Benefits, Culture, Management, and so many more.
Cons
Age of facilities, parking, and inappropriate furniture
Civic Campus: I was treated very bad by colleagues and management didn't support me. The Nurse Educator was on leave while I was doing my orientation, then came back and expected me to show understanding of things she never taught me and I had no prior knowledge of. Staff wasn't supportive.
Pros
Nice cafeteria and stores on 1st level
Cons
Bad Management, Crude and Rude staff, Bad Nurse Educator
I worked for over thirty years, and retired from there. Met very helpful people who trained me until I could be left to work on my own. I had the best experience.
Pros
We were treated to lunches.
This place is very good for someone who know the hiring manager or someone to affect him. We saw people hired with completely different field of study or experience also employees promoted to roles not related to their field. High tech people are quickly dominating leading positions in this place and there is no room for advancement if you are hardworking as they like to put the wrong person in the wrong position
Pros
No stress in work
Cons
No advancement in work only to social people
No recognition for outstanding work. Union protects the lazy and incoherent employees. No compassion towards employees. Management is horrible. Basically you are merely just a replaceable number, rather than a respected or valued employee. Management targets certain people to do extra unpaid work.
Pros
Pay is good.
Cons
Not worth the headaches
I had a really good time at the TOH. I have worked there for 2+years and have met wonderful people. Management is also supportive (mostly). I would say the pay is nice too. The only downside is that they don't have a lot of permanent full-time positions.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
Not enough full time positions
Great place to work and environment. Team atmosphere, staff is friendly. Training and opportunities for advancement. Great schedules. Great atmosphere and always learning.
Lots of people make this hospital run but you definitely feel part of the team. Got to meet a lot of friendly faces. Felt like I made a difference in the lives of the people I met and worked with.
The days were a blur, never a dull moment. I appreciated the opportunity to be creative and the opportunity to help others with the good that The Ottawa Hospital does for so many people in the Ottawa area and beyond.
The management team and the employees are very fun to be with. They treated me very well and I am enjoyed working for them. The day goes by really fast with the amount of work there is.
I like the working atmosphere, friendly staff, reasonable work hours. Most NP positions are unionized that negatively affect NP salary, educational benefits and work hours. No negotiation is possible when you are unionized.
I am enjoying working at the hospital. It was a good and awesome experience wherein i am able to have a bedside care which is my first love profession as a nurse way back home.
The hospital is evolving all the time. Rules and policies are continually changing. You have to like being unionized. Rate of pay was great 30 years ago.
There is a discrimination for a hiring i been working as a PCA and now i am registered practical nurse but its hard for me to get a position they dont include my related experience as a pca which is included on my practice as an RPN
Very good job security. Management is not always in tune with front line staff. More effort could be put into debriefing those in Crises Intervention roles.
I worked there for 34 years. It was very fast paced. Leadership was lacking. The salary was according to ONA collective agreement. The atmosphere was great to work with the others
Still work here and I really enjoy working here. I work here as a part time Systems Operator, and it is been a good experience so far. The manager and Team lead and other co-workers are very supportive and helpful.
it was good. Management isn't great, I get called in for last min shifts a lot. It's good as a student job. DOn't get lots of scheduled hours to work, just last min.
was not offered enough hours and they were too spread out. the collegues were very negative and not willing to help you out. always on call casual. no room for advancement. only those who were billingual got offered fulltime and permanent parttime.
I still have nightmares about my time at the Ottawa Hospital. I came into the job as a casual supply worker and left within 3 months. Throughout my time I was bullied by my co-workers, lied to by management who promised the world but delivered nothing, backstabbed by my trainer who left me during training to go for a 2 hour smoke break, while I had to answer angry phone calls from the departments who were missing supplies, and witnessed two nurses break down crying in the supply rooms because they were screamed at by the ward matrons. This problem with the hospital boils down to the fact management has no real power. They cannot fire you, they can't really discipline you without the union getting involved. I had to wait over an hour and a half for one of my trainers to show up as he was late. When he finally arrived, his reasoning was "I was sleeping". If you're an uneducated, lazy bully, SPD is the department for you.
I didn't go over there yet. will begin my placement over there in a month. I am really excited to start my placement at the hospital. everyone loved working in a hospital