The Ottawa Hospital

The Ottawa Hospital Employee Reviews

Canada191 reviews
Fast and productive
The management team and the employees are very fun to be with. They treated me very well and I am enjoyed working for them. The day goes by really fast with the amount of work there is.
Excellent place to work
I like the working atmosphere, friendly staff, reasonable work hours. Most NP positions are unionized that negatively affect NP salary, educational benefits and work hours. No negotiation is possible when you are unionized.
Awesome
I am enjoying working at the hospital. It was a good and awesome experience wherein i am able to have a bedside care which is my first love profession as a nurse way back home.
Very rewarding
The hospital is evolving all the time. Rules and policies are continually changing. You have to like being unionized. Rate of pay was great 30 years ago.
The hardest part of the jib
There is a discrimination for a hiring i been working as a PCA and now i am registered practical nurse but its hard for me to get a position they dont include my related experience as a pca which is included on my practice as an RPN
Rewarding career here.
Very good job security. Management is not always in tune with front line staff. More effort could be put into debriefing those in Crises Intervention roles.
Ottawa Hospital
I worked there for 34 years.
It was very fast paced.

Leadership was lacking.

The salary was according to ONA collective agreement.

The atmosphere was great to work with the others
Good employer
Still work here and I really enjoy working here. I work here as a part time Systems Operator, and it is been a good experience so far. The manager and Team lead and other co-workers are very supportive and helpful.
Fast-paced
it was good. Management isn't great, I get called in for last min shifts a lot. It's good as a student job. DOn't get lots of scheduled hours to work, just last min.
Not enough hours
was not offered enough hours and they were too spread out. the collegues were very negative and not willing to help you out. always on call casual. no room for advancement. only those who were billingual got offered fulltime and permanent parttime.
Depressing, confusing place to work in
I still have nightmares about my time at the Ottawa Hospital. I came into the job as a casual supply worker and left within 3 months. Throughout my time I was bullied by my co-workers, lied to by management who promised the world but delivered nothing, backstabbed by my trainer who left me during training to go for a 2 hour smoke break, while I had to answer angry phone calls from the departments who were missing supplies, and witnessed two nurses break down crying in the supply rooms because they were screamed at by the ward matrons.

This problem with the hospital boils down to the fact management has no real power. They cannot fire you, they can't really discipline you without the union getting involved. I had to wait over an hour and a half for one of my trainers to show up as he was late. When he finally arrived, his reasoning was "I was sleeping". If you're an uneducated, lazy bully, SPD is the department for you.
it is a fun and productive work place
I didn't go over there yet. will begin my placement over there in a month.
I am really excited to start my placement at the hospital. everyone loved working in a hospital
Exceptional learning hospital
The Ottawa Hospital is an amazing care facility with a focus on providing exceptional care. I was placed on one of their in-patient units for my medicine placement as well as their psychiatric unit.
Toxic work environment, constant lay-offs, unfair bilingual practices.
While I loved the job that I was hired to,do,and the programme I was hired to work for, my job changed 7 times in my last year. I went from supporting one Clinical Manager across three sites to supporting four Clinical Managers across all sites, which was impossible. It was cut back to three Clinical Managers across all sites. I was supported by my original Clinical Manager to try to make it work. Ultimately, we were both laid off.
It was a very politically charged environment. I would not recommend it to anyone.

In addition to the above problems, the Director was very uncooperative accommodating my physical disability and the process took over six months. Had I not been laid off, I would have pursued legal action, but was forced to sign a nondisclosure document as well as being forced not to pursue the issue with the Human Rights tribunal.

Healthcare is a very toxic environment to be in these days. I have worked in the industry for 35 years and have endured two layoffs due to budget cuts. I’m still looking for full-time work.

Dedication,, hard-work and loyalty are not rewarded.
Internship
I completed my schooling placement at the Ottawa Hospital which provided me with the ability to develop my skills as an Occupational Therapist (student). The placement was enjoyable for me and provided with a safe and educational work environment.
Depressing Workplace
The atmosphere of thee hospital is very dire, there's a hierarchy it feel like, where sometimes people think they're more important than you. While I was there, there were a couple horrible people, but some good ones too.
Overall if you don’t mind the vary hours good place to work.
Fast pace environment but pays fairly for what is being asked. Only bad thing is 24 hour operation which means there is overnight. People are helpful and willing so it makes the experience more enjoyable. Questions are welcomed to further understanding. Room for future advancement.
Excellent environment, competitive can be stressful for some, very ethical
Most people are happy. Big employer, competitive salary, internal postings available . Employment process is long like any big organization, screening important as dealing with vulnerable people inside.
My pleasure to serve patients in the Ottawa Hospital
The Ottawa hospital is a great organization, outstanding doctors, dedicated nurses, wonderful clerks, all the people who involve in serving patients are very good . This is one of my best jobs, which I can help people, I feel this is more meaningful and valuable. I like the Ottawa hospital!
Travail très stimulant
- Équipe de direction supportive
- Équipe de gestion dans l'équipe ou j'ai travaillé très difficile

- Travail stimulant

- Beaucoup de travail

- Bon budget pour la formation
Pros
flexibilité dans les heures de travails
Hr
Worse place ever.
Management and HR only think of themselves.

Can’t advance in this company because HR is all about protecting the physician you work for, so you will never go to another department to better yourself or get a bigger income to provide for your family. I hated that place.