The Ottawa Hospital

• Inclusive work environment
  • Supportive environment
  • Feeling of personal appreciation

Difficult jobs, heavy workloads

The Ottawa Hospital has physically and mentally challenging jobs and the managers are not always supportive. It is a large hosoital and they treat nurses like a number. You are replaceable.

Pros

Job security

Cons

Heavy workloads, no staff parking close

Sucking the life out of RNs

Burned out from work overload as an RN in Cancer Care. If you want to work yourself to death and get a meal for half your family as a reward for 30 years of service, this employer is your best bet. You will also be a little poorer every year with your 0- 1/3 of cost of living raise. You will be called a hero during the pandemic, and not get a raise because the reward is in serving the hospital and community.

Pros

Loving our patients and coworkers.

Cons

Don’t care about RNs, will work you into an early grave.

Advance. Learning

Great place to work and environment.Team atmosphere, staff is friendly.Training and opportunities for advancement.Great schedules.Great atmosphere and always learning.

TOH is a great family!

I'm proud to have worked for TOH.The management, work and team were great.The facilities may be disappointing due to the age of the building (Civic) and the parking is a pain. Now with teleworking, it is another positive story.

Pros

Benefits, Culture, Management, and so many more.

Cons

Age of facilities, parking, and inappropriate furniture

Some very rude people in PACU

Civic Campus: I was treated very bad by colleagues and management didn't support me. The Nurse Educator was on leave while I was doing my orientation, then came back and expected me to show understanding of things she never taught me and I had no prior knowledge of. Staff wasn't supportive.

Pros

Nice cafeteria and stores on 1st level

Cons

Bad Management, Crude and Rude staff, Bad Nurse Educator

Very productive workplace with many pleasant co-workers.

I worked for over thirty years, and retired from there. Met very helpful people who trained me until I could be left to work on my own. I had the best experience.

Pros

We were treated to lunches.

Know someone you are hired

This place is very good for someone who know the hiring manager or someone to affect him. We saw people hired with completely different field of study or experience also employees promoted to roles not related to their field. High tech people are quickly dominating leading positions in this place and there is no room for advancement if you are hardworking as they like to put the wrong person in the wrong position

Pros

No stress in work

Cons

No advancement in work only to social people

I would NOT recommend working here as a career.

No recognition for outstanding work. Union protects the lazy and incoherent employees. No compassion towards employees. Management is horrible. Basically you are merely just a replaceable number, rather than a respected or valued employee. Management targets certain people to do extra unpaid work.

Pros

Pay is good.

Cons

Not worth the headaches

The staff are great and the culture and environment is very welcoming of new staff

I had a really good time at the TOH. I have worked there for 2+years and have met wonderful people. Management is also supportive (mostly). I would say the pay is nice too. The only downside is that they don't have a lot of permanent full-time positions.

Pros

free lunches

Cons

Not enough full time positions

Great place to work and environment. Team atmosphere, staff is friendly. Training and opportunities for advancement. Great schedules. Great atmosphere and always learning.

Innovative and challenging workplace, great opportunities.

Lots of people make this hospital run but you definitely feel part of the team. Got to meet a lot of friendly faces. Felt like I made a difference in the lives of the people I met and worked with.

Very exciting project

The days were a blur, never a dull moment. I appreciated the opportunity to be creative and the opportunity to help others with the good that The Ottawa Hospital does for so many people in the Ottawa area and beyond.

Fast and productive

The management team and the employees are very fun to be with. They treated me very well and I am enjoyed working for them. The day goes by really fast with the amount of work there is.

Excellent place to work

I like the working atmosphere, friendly staff, reasonable work hours. Most NP positions are unionized that negatively affect NP salary, educational benefits and work hours. No negotiation is possible when you are unionized.

Awesome

I am enjoying working at the hospital. It was a good and awesome experience wherein i am able to have a bedside care which is my first love profession as a nurse way back home.

Very rewarding

The hospital is evolving all the time. Rules and policies are continually changing. You have to like being unionized. Rate of pay was great 30 years ago.

The hardest part of the jib

There is a discrimination for a hiring i been working as a PCA and now i am registered practical nurse but its hard for me to get a position they dont include my related experience as a pca which is included on my practice as an RPN

Rewarding career here.

Very good job security. Management is not always in tune with front line staff. More effort could be put into debriefing those in Crises Intervention roles.

Ottawa Hospital

I worked there for 34 years. It was very fast paced. Leadership was lacking. The salary was according to ONA collective agreement. The atmosphere was great to work with the others

Good employer

Still work here and I really enjoy working here. I work here as a part time Systems Operator, and it is been a good experience so far. The manager and Team lead and other co-workers are very supportive and helpful.

Fast-paced

it was good. Management isn't great, I get called in for last min shifts a lot. It's good as a student job. DOn't get lots of scheduled hours to work, just last min.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Ottawa Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7Job security/advancement