The Ottawa Hospital
Happiness score is 76 out of 100

Working at The Ottawa Hospital: Employee Reviews

Canada228 reviews

tohhospitalpatientnurseunitsupportivestaffsalary

I want my job back. Being vaccinated or not doesn’t stop the spread of covid. Therefore I was put on leave for no good reason. Management was cold and heartless to me.

Pros

Great hours

Cons

Poor management

Amazing career.

Working here has built me up to reaching my career goal. I love what I do. Great teamwork, and organization. I love working here... Just wish the hours weren't so set in stone.

Insights into The Ottawa Hospital

What people like
  • Supportive environment
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Clear sense of purpose

I enjoyed my actual work though it was often dangerously understaffed.

Very toxic and high stress work environment for nurses. Most managers are terrible, cruel and abusive. The staff becomes toxic over time due to dealing with a stressful environment. Nurses and aids do not always help each other out due to toxic social groups.

Pros

Job security

Cons

Toxic work environment. 12 hour shifts. Unpaid overtime.

Excellent for Nursing Students

I worked as a Orderly during the beginning of COVID. I was a nursing student in 3rd year at the time and it was a great job to learn the hospital environment. Unfortunately I had to leave due to my own personal health conditions, but I did enjoy my time working at the hospital.

Challenging

Definitely a good place to learn and grow professionally. If you initiate positive connection, most of the time it will be reflected, so we all have to start doing it instead of expecting it in other people.

Good job, great colleagues

The people who work at TOH make all the difference. Most teams are pretty supportive. Unions need to advocate for better benefits for all positions. Since COVID it has been a much more negative place to work. TOH did not do a great job of supporting employees.

nursing is just not a good profession

title clearly explains- dont become a nurse. takes forever to be able to get senority to have summer vacation. union is useless. not paid fairly, awful hours, high stress. hospital doesnt care about your well being.

Positive culture and great colleagues

I worked in a small department that was supportive and team oriented. It was rewarding to help solve issues by listening and solving together as a larger team.

Great place to learn, but felt undervalue

Felt like management did not value us as a person. You're taking care of the sick, but when you're the one sick, they just cared about you coming back to work

Great for students

Working as a casual employee was convenient and flexible working allowed me to go to school full time and work evenings and weekends. Very little room to move up unless you are a nurse or doctor.

Great learning experience

Great place to improve your skills and knowledge. Staff are great as long as they are not burntout. Management try to be accomodating but depends on the individual

Pros

Great relationships

Cons

No advancement

Inter-professional work environment with support from my colleagues.

Colleagues from all professions and support staff work together well. I have been able to advance in my career because of the support and recognition of some of my management/education team.

Pros

Support of colleagues.

Cons

Middle management are can be crushed crushed by senior management.

Booking Clerk

Great hours, pay is great although frozen at 1%. Many positions are extremely repetitive with zero potential growth or learning opportunities. Comfortable jobs with security.

Productive and great workplace

Working in the hospital will never be easy. It’s always a busy place but if you have a good management, colleagues and nice environment, things will be smooth and doable. TOH gives chance to people improve and develop. Also, they help people to transition in the place that they want in the Hospital. HR people are easy to reach and very accommodating. My learnings would include: teamwork, respect, compassion to people regardless of age, gender, race and color.

Fun and caring place to work

The Ottawa hospital is a very nice place to work. Good pension and health insurance. People there is very caring and loving. If you like to be secure in the long term or lifetime, this is the place for you to work at.

Loved my team!

Loved my team-didn’t love management. Wish it was a safer environment for staff as well as patients. Work load became unbearable for most.

Must be bilingual

Don’t count on getting full time as a clerk if you are not bilingual. This is not something they tell you upon hire. Most people you work with are angry and looking to get out of health care. Management is unsupportive

Amazing place to work, friendly collaborative environment!

Working at The Ottawa Hospital is amazing. Its a fast paced environment but teams collaborate and recognize we are all working towards the same goal. Management is supportive and approachable and always have an open door.The work you do here matters. Every day we support a world class hospital in providing exceptional care.

Fair enough

Management and supervisors were solid and scheduling was well done. Good coworkers. Visitors and guests can be annoying but that's customer service. About what you would expect

Fast paced

This place is suitable for those who love new challenges and ready to action immediately. The work volume is very high which needs employees to be organized and focused to details.

There is no management. Just people running around with fancy titles that lie a lot. The doctors don’t say hi to anyone. It’s a shark tank!

This hospital has a very nasty mean culture.Nothing is done about it ever.They like to hire young new staff as they don’t know the difference yet!

Pros

Cons

Long hours that you don’t get paid for.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Ottawa Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement