The Original Cakerie Employee Review

View all The Original Cakerie reviews

Injuries a plenty, and high school mentality from co-workers
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  London, ON3 August 2017
It started out as a great company to work for but as it got bigger the family atmosphere was lost. There are a lot of people with repetitive strain injuries that they won't take responsibility for. So it feels like they will use you up and spit you out. There is also a high school mentality. Gossip is horrendous and people have been bullied by other employees to the point that they left their positions. It can be quite stressful.
Once the company was sold, the line speed increased A LOT and quality went down. A few years ago I would have recommended the Cakerie as a great place to work. Now I would not recommend it at all. It's a shame because there are still a few fantastic people who work there. It's a very physical job and the 10 hr shifts are exhausting. It's not a job very many people will be able to do long term. At least on the production floor.
BUT if you're looking for a job in the office there I say go for it. Lots of proof around that it's a much better environment to work in.
Pros
Benefits and bonus
Cons
Long hours, very physically demanding

Other The Original Cakerie Employee Reviews

Fact based and unbias
Mixer (Former Employee) –  Delta, BC7 February 2019
I will begin with what is good about the company which sadly does not outweigh the negative aspects of working there.

Throughout my employment the Employee Experience/ Human Resources people have always treated me fairly. They try to create a family atmosphere that extends down to the production floor. Despite their efforts, it does not translate to a positive team environment because of the negative attitudes from within. There are some great people who work there who are being alienated by the toxic behaviour of individuals that are unhappy about their working conditions. Specifically in the mixing department, the majority of the longterm employees has resulted into sabotaging recently hired employees to prove their worth. Supervisors are aware of this problem yet maintain to turn a blind eye in fear of losing anymore trained people. They are desperate to hire new mixers instead of dealing with the bigger problem which is well within their control.

I have compassion for the new people hired into the company that have to deal with these preexisting conditions and send my best wishes to the good people who I have met. My message to them is to stay strong and take care.
Pros
Discounts on cake
Cons
Unreliable scheduling/Inconsistent start times/Low employee morale
Workplace Culture
Production Staff (Former Employee) –  Delta, BC15 January 2019
As per my experience from work, I have seen lots of people from different countries and I can say that it really is easier to work with a workplace where you can easily understand your colleagues and you get along with them.
Pros
Free cakes
Cons
No definite time and schedule