The Original Cakerie Employee Review

View all The Original Cakerie reviews

Depressing place to work
Production worker (Current Employee) –  London, ON6 November 2018
The Original Cakerie used be a family friendly place to work. Now, they hire people quickly and expect them to work with hardly no training. While the office environment seems to enjoy dressing up for Halloween, pot lucks and free cakes on holidays( which ALL staff use to receive) the bulk of the stress is out of the production floor. We are led to believe HR is there to support us which has not been the case. Production staff are constantly pushed to points of exhaustion. Team leaders bully workers daily. Unpaid lunch brakes are cut short and workers are constantly in trouble for taking to long getting back to line. Fortunately, we have one great floor manager and a few team leads that are great. The others are not kind or respectful at all!!! It’s really hard to come into work 5-6 days a week and literally come home and sleep because your body can’t handle any more. It is a VERY loud and unorganized environment. Chaos!!!!! We do make amazing products. Although decoration quality is not the best, the company does use quality ingredients and the plants is very clean. We as workers are not appreciated for the work we do. Bonuses, RRSPs are great but at what cost? Mental health, physical health? Nobody is happy on the production floor. It is heart breaking to watch people have no choice but the work in this environment and have no other choices. Most people are scared to speak up. Lack of understanding, language barriers and just plan lack of knowledge set workers up for failure. They expect more and more everyday.This company is not a good place to work anymore. Very sad
Pros
Bonus, pay, lunches a few times a year and clean plant.
Cons
Exhausting, negative, angry staff, no support or empathy for production workers.

Other The Original Cakerie Employee Reviews

Fact based and unbias
Mixer (Former Employee) –  Delta, BC7 February 2019
I will begin with what is good about the company which sadly does not outweigh the negative aspects of working there.

Throughout my employment the Employee Experience/ Human Resources people have always treated me fairly. They try to create a family atmosphere that extends down to the production floor. Despite their efforts, it does not translate to a positive team environment because of the negative attitudes from within. There are some great people who work there who are being alienated by the toxic behaviour of individuals that are unhappy about their working conditions. Specifically in the mixing department, the majority of the longterm employees has resulted into sabotaging recently hired employees to prove their worth. Supervisors are aware of this problem yet maintain to turn a blind eye in fear of losing anymore trained people. They are desperate to hire new mixers instead of dealing with the bigger problem which is well within their control.

I have compassion for the new people hired into the company that have to deal with these preexisting conditions and send my best wishes to the good people who I have met. My message to them is to stay strong and take care.
Pros
Discounts on cake
Cons
Unreliable scheduling/Inconsistent start times/Low employee morale
Workplace Culture
Production Staff (Former Employee) –  Delta, BC15 January 2019
As per my experience from work, I have seen lots of people from different countries and I can say that it really is easier to work with a workplace where you can easily understand your colleagues and you get along with them.
Pros
Free cakes
Cons
No definite time and schedule