The Original Cakerie Employee Reviews

Workplace Culture
Production Staff (Former Employee) –  Delta, BC15 January 2019
As per my experience from work, I have seen lots of people from different countries and I can say that it really is easier to work with a workplace where you can easily understand your colleagues and you get along with them.
Pros
Free cakes
Cons
No definite time and schedule
Good cake, Horrible job!
Casual Production Employee (Former Employee) –  Delta, BC26 November 2018
Worst place to ever work! Terrible starting hours, mean line leads, cranky co-workers and everything is all about speed. Nobody cares about anyone, it’s all about the cakes!! 12+ years later after a work injury (I was treated like garbage by the Health & Safety Mgr) and I still suffer from my work injury because the line lead wouldn’t move me even though I was crying in pain.
Pros
Free dessert in the break room, if you’re lucky
An Honest Review
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  London, ON8 November 2018
To put it simply; do not waste your time. This is not a great place to work. The company does offer benefits, competitive pay, quarterly bonuses, and RRSP contribution. However, the environment of the plant outweighs these perks. There are a lot of unhappy employees here. Most people stay because they have families to support, not because they genuinely enjoy working for this company. Favoritism is evident; skilled positions are not awarded based on qualifications or experience, but rather on who the interviewer likes the most. There are more than a few employees who feel entitled to treat people as they like without reservation, the word bullying gets thrown around quite often. The managers, supervisors, and team leaders seem to be under a great amount of pressure and some have resorted to treating staff in the same manner. The employee experience team unfortunately, is not much better. They make excuses for every concern and are extremely disorganized. The scheduling system has many flaws. There are an abundance of rules and variables when it comes to weekly schedules and vacation. In addition, each employee is required to pick a preference per department; this is not to be relied on. Preferences at times can mean nothing, neither does seniority. Most requested days off are denied, specifically if you are in a skilled position. If you do happen to have one approved, they will take it as an additional day off to the ones you already have. If you are part-time, this could leave you with one shift a week. There is no consistency with scheduling, same goes for the production  more... floor. Count on being bounced around from department to department several times in one shift and being scheduled in a department where you have asked not to be. There is also an extreme lack of training, which is not only dangerous in this environment, but very unfair for everyone. This is a representation of how this company is run; no respect, communication, or understanding. There are often times where the lines will be run without enough people, causing the team to be overworked, exhausted, and in pain. Then there are other nights where the supervisor will make extra, unneeded, staff members do miscellaneous jobs for hours, instead of giving them a night off. Employees are frustrated. Many employees also do not like getting mandated on weekends; add all of the above to the long list of reasons why this place is a revolving door. Do not be fooled, this company DOES NOT CARE. The plant has a group called the ACE committee; it’s useless to say the least. The company does not actively listen to the employee’s ideas or concerns. The company makes decisions without regard and will advise the members of the committee to spread the word to the team. There is a large number of employee’s fighting for a union, which will eventually happen. This company needs CHANGE! They need to start taking the employees seriously! The production team, the people that mix, bake, decorate and package the product; these are the people that keep the plant running. The executives expect to get different results using the same incompetent methods. This company will destroy itself from the inside out.  less
Pros
free cake in lunch room, co-workers, wage, quarterly bonus
Cons
managers, supervisors, culture, lack of organization, scheduling
Enjoyable part of the job
Setup operator - Full time (Former Employee) –  London, ON7 November 2018
I learned so much about robotic machines and programing them.

Morning shift is the most enjoyable part of the job ,where we can learn lot of skills.
Depressing place to work
Production worker (Current Employee) –  London, ON6 November 2018
The Original Cakerie used be a family friendly place to work. Now, they hire people quickly and expect them to work with hardly no training. While the office environment seems to enjoy dressing up for Halloween, pot lucks and free cakes on holidays( which ALL staff use to receive) the bulk of the stress is out of the production floor. We are led to believe HR is there to support us which has not been the case. Production staff are constantly pushed to points of exhaustion. Team leaders bully workers daily. Unpaid lunch brakes are cut short and workers are constantly in trouble for taking to long getting back to line. Fortunately, we have one great floor manager and a few team leads that are great. The others are not kind or respectful at all!!! It’s really hard to come into work 5-6 days a week and literally come home and sleep because your body can’t handle any more. It is a VERY loud and unorganized environment. Chaos!!!!! We do make amazing products. Although decoration quality is not the best, the company does use quality ingredients and the plants is very clean. We as workers are not appreciated for the work we do. Bonuses, RRSPs are great but at what cost? Mental health, physical health? Nobody is happy on the production floor. It is heart breaking to watch people have no choice but the work in this environment and have no other choices. Most people are scared to speak up. Lack of understanding, language barriers and just plan lack of knowledge set workers up for failure. They expect more and more everyday.This company is not a good place to work anymore. Very sad
Pros
Bonus, pay, lunches a few times a year and clean plant.
Cons
Exhausting, negative, angry staff, no support or empathy for production workers.
Don’t be fooled
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  London, ON3 May 2018
This place is a revolving door. They ruin families by promising hours and next thing you know you bring in a 500 pay for two weeks because you don’t get the hours you’re promised. Don’t ever get hurt there either or you’re kicked out. Expect to be treated like garbage and spoken to like you are a child...unless you’re one of the ones who don’t speak a bit of English who just go to work and have no idea people are talking poorly about them. This place is just out to hire the cheapest no fuss labour they can get. They could care less about workers rights and safety.
Pros
Free cake in the lunch room
Cons
No job security, losing fingers and then your job, drama
working for this company will take you nowhere
on the floor (Current Employee) –  London, ON24 November 2017
worked for this company and gave it my 110% every time i worked but at the end the person who spends more time in the manager's office gets all the promotions even tho they cant speak english very poorly managed. nobody cares about the work they do specially managements, they make rules on the fly, have no respect treat people that work there like animals.
this place will run it self into the ground.
Pros
free cake in the lunch room
Cons
upper management, planning, favouritism, unfair
Unrealistic expectations on Company growth and vision.
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Delta, BC11 November 2017
I worked for this Company for a couple of years. In my entire career this was the worst job. Management is clueless and completely incompetent, cannot make a decision, and anything decided one day is completely changed the next.

So much disorganized people and not to mention people filling positions that have no experience in the field of work they were put in. Promotions go to the wrong people because they will play ball with management.

Production Supervisors are totally incompetent and unprofessional; they have not any education or any technical experience, no people skills, lack in training for their product.

Supervisor is only focus at their fast production, human resource is not visible. No employee employer relationship, no worker rights in there. All employees are treated like machines. All they care about is numbers and production.

Unrealistic expectations on Company growth and vision.

Very old systems and very old machineries, costly, time inefficient, reactive maintenance.

Morale and job satisfaction are very low.

The union is very weak. It is playing on both sides but mostly on Company favor.

Don't seek employment with this company if you are looking for a long-term employment in cordial working environment.
Pros
Nice co-workers
Cons
Management is clueless and completely incompetent.
production worker
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  The Original Cakerie,London ontario24 August 2017
The production manager is the problem here.He has lots of favoritism,promising a lot and let his favorite people to bully other people. thats why till now the problem are still here. People are good but we need a real management.
Pros
excellent company
Cons
mess management
Productive and fun work place
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC11 August 2017
Large volume of work but management team are very helpful. very
friendly atmosphere.
I have learned the full cycle of A/R and Navision System.
I have enjoyed the team work and be able to learn new things every day.
Pros
Going to lunch every Friday
Cons
A lot of stress because of the volum of work
Injuries a plenty, and high school mentality from co-workers
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  London, ON3 August 2017
It started out as a great company to work for but as it got bigger the family atmosphere was lost. There are a lot of people with repetitive strain injuries that they won't take responsibility for. So it feels like they will use you up and spit you out. There is also a high school mentality. Gossip is horrendous and people have been bullied by other employees to the point that they left their positions. It can be quite stressful.
Once the company was sold, the line speed increased A LOT and quality went down. A few years ago I would have recommended the Cakerie as a great place to work. Now I would not recommend it at all. It's a shame because there are still a few fantastic people who work there. It's a very physical job and the 10 hr shifts are exhausting. It's not a job very many people will be able to do long term. At least on the production floor.
BUT if you're looking for a job in the office there I say go for it. Lots of proof around that it's a much better environment to work in.
Pros
Benefits and bonus
Cons
Long hours, very physically demanding
Great place to work. Very friendly and professional individuals & enviroment.
IT Analyst (Former Employee) –  London, ON22 July 2017
The communication and support I received from management at The Original Cakerie was outstanding. Benefits are great and I feel that it was a very friendly and professional environment to work in.

I learned many new IT related skills here and found the learning opportunity to be a great one. I enjoyed helping users in the office and production floor which is very clean and organized.

The hardest part of the job was doing a full shift during the day and being on call after that. I found it difficult to wake up at 3 am but being part of IT requires 24/7 support and this also happened very rarely so I don't see it as an issue.

I would recommend The Original Cakerie to anyone.
Pros
Cake Discounts!
Horrible company to work for
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  London, ON28 April 2017
A bunch of rude ladies that smiles in your face but talk behind your back.Management allows the behaviour, hence why the turnover is so high. They expect you to know everything in a week literally, and if you don't know it there so judgemental and talk about you.
Pros
Free cake
Cons
Some enjoyable products to work on
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Delta, BC12 February 2017
We work 10.5 hours with a 1/2 lunch, we make various types of cake. The management is very friendly and inclusive with everyone. The work culture is fairly good. The hardest part of the job is the scattered start times, and not having a fixed schedule.
Feeling a part of a team and being somewhat of a family.
Pros
appreciation luncheons every few months
Cons
scattered start time
Wonderplace to work
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Annacis, BC1 November 2016
The Original Cakerie is a wonderful and fun place to work at . I learned to use the software program called Navision which I used to enter 10 pages of data. The workload is fast paced since there is a lot of work to do. I even sometimes enter 20 pages into Navision which can be overwhelming. What I enjoyed most about this job is meeting different employers and managers at The Original Cakerie, and I even made a friend there.
Pros
Workload and meeting different people
Cons
The workload can be overwhelming sometimes
Great people to work with
Supply Chain Analyst (Current Employee) –  London, ON2 March 2016
Very nice people to work with. Long hours for many people. Hard to have a good work life balance. Head office is in BC and because of the time difference it's hard to keep up with the work load and still leave by 5 pm. With small children at home this is important to me.
daily humiliation having to recite company moto every morning meeting
Millwright (Former Employee) –  London, ON3 October 2015
I worked here for a year through a temp agency and helped set up this facility only to be told to bring in a resume if i wanted full time employment after a year .Lots of people came and went including plant management.They have no loyalty to employees and have the employment agency attitude.Ask about their 3 month probation and their helicopter management from BC.
Pros
free cake every break expect to gain weight
Cons
no job security just want multi ticketed journeymen for $25/hour
fun place to work
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  delta bc22 July 2015
good place to work,co-worker are nice,i learned how to handle cakes and have a team work to finish a job on time,,good salary and benifits
Pros
free cake to eat
Cons
over time
bad management
production (Former Employee) –  London, ON21 April 2015
Its really bad management

the turn over in management was very high
and hired people for the wrong job/ position

long hours and long weekend
Pros
good pay and good benefit
Cons
bad management
A very friendly work environment
ELECTRICAL ENGINEER (Former Employee) –  London, ON10 January 2015
Working at the Cakerie was enjoyable because of the people you work with AND the people you work for. The culture definitely revolved around a family-like atmosphere and problems are solved quickly and openly.

The most enjoyable part of working at the Cakerie was having responsibility to do your work to the best of your ability.