The Original Cakerie
Happiness score is 56 out of 100

The Original Cakerie Employee Reviews

Canada57 reviews

Work to live,not live to work

The original cakerie pays better then most companies for a reason, they need people bad. The revolving door of employees is a clear indication of a general bad work environment. And I can say from my time here, this is in fact the case. The management-worker communication is IMPOSSIBLE if you do not work a shift that is in the slot where the HR higher ups are in the office, with having to write a form and hope it gets seen and usually takes a week to be replied to. On the job itself, it will seem easy at first, but as you advance into different departments, you will see the clear favouritism of certain employees with seniority and those who are in certain “posses”. The more physically demanding jobs are often given to the younger employees who are newer, and it becomes insanely mentally and physically taxing after a while, leaving no wonder why they can’t keep people in production. The people you work with are some of the nicest people you can meet though, as most are very open to conversation and are generally happy and nice people. Same goes for team leads, they are very understanding of how difficult the jobs are and try their best to support the workers.There is no work- life balance at ALL when working production. Part timers are scheduled all over the place, leaving just barely enough time to go home to eat and sleep. It is not worth the money, though the pay rate is above average for unskilled labour, it’s very unlikely 3/4 of those people who get the job will make it past those 70 shifts. They are looking to pinch time out of employees every chance they get by trimming -

Pros

Generally nice co workers and team leads, Gift card bonuses around holidays, Fast employment

Cons

Degrading environment, Physically demanding, Mind numbing work, Favouritism, Low standards, Power tripping, Lack of communication with HR

Fast-Paced Workplace

Fair wages, but the workplace is pretty depressing. Everyone hates being there and it shows. The work is fast-paced, stressful at times. Although they do have great benefits, I would not recommend this for long-term employment.

Pros

life insurance, rrsp, sick pay

Cons

long hours, depressing environment

Toxic environment

I unfortunately wasted years of my life there. I got caught up in the pay. Most of the co workers were nice. But it's a very toxic negative environment.Management has favorites, so it's a lost cause to try and put your best foot forward and try to make a difference. It's a waste of time and effort.It's like being on the show survivor. Only the strongest will survive because there are so many new hires all the time, it's impossible to get proper training.You are only a number that is replaceable no matter how hard you work.And good luck having a life outside of thy plant. They have been mandating Saturdays for full time staff for almost three years.

Toxic Work Environment

Do not waste your time with this company. I should have known how unorganized they were when my orientation date kept getting pushed back week after week. For part timers, you are given one to two shifts a week max and get pushed around in each department. Start times are never consistent, you can expect to work 9 pm one night and 6 pm the next. They single out hires by making them wear orange hairnets so that it’s easy to tell who to give repetitive and physically straining work to. The probation period is 70 shifts which is unreasonably long given the amount of hours available and new hires are joined weekly. Many people quit before then and as a result, have to pay the price of the production boots, so as long as the company benefits, they will keep doing this. The management team is unprofessional and unreliable. I’ve sent countless emails to HR who would CC someone else and never get back to me about my requests. It is impossible to get ahold of lines in the building because they never answer through their extension, and reception rarely picks up too. The only pro is discounted cakes, but even then the process is not worth the hassle. I found out the hard way that the site automatically chooses a date and pickup time after you order. You will know if it’s actually in stock/ready when you show up. This happened not once, but twice where I had to drive out 20 minutes when a simple phone call or email could have told me my order was not unavailable. I would rather be unemployed or work in have a job that pays minimum wage than to be here again. I stayed for 4 weeks -

Productive and Fun Workplace

I love working here, smells good and clean. The bad thing is some team leads are arrogant and pick on someone who is weak. They were strict to weak/ nice people but not to the other who is stronger than them. I hate the team leads taking advantage of nice and hardworking people. But, let the trouble maker alone, not brave enough to set the rule, because they are too chicken.

Pros

Clean, and Organize

Cons

Many arrogants team leads

Lots of opportunity to move up

With the current labour issues in the world due to the pandemic things are a bit stressful and this company is trying to grow on top of it all.Things seem chaotic because they are, call ins and people off due to COVID make daily production a struggle but I think they are managing it the best they can. Overall, you will get as much out as you are willing to put in.

Pros

Clean, well lit, pay

Cons

Shift start times

Lucky are those who left or get fired ;)

Wish i could rate in negatives.They treat humans like a robot. 0 humanity. Loads of work. Worst environment. And the funny thing is old employees(frustrated depressed from their own life)don’t want any new employees to work and they torture complain until they leave and keep the company at same level😂😂

Pros

Cake on discount price

Cons

Everything about it-people, place, time, environment, culture, process

Good

Good place to work. Work can be pretty slow and boring. But good pay and benefits. Co-workers are friendly and supportive. Pay is the main highlight.

Pros

Health, Dental, Rrsp

Cons

Boring

Just avoid

I worked for the original cakerie for a very short time. Even the short time was much too long working for them. Completely avoid this company. Union environment and just a toxic unbelievable work environment. Most management has been there for 10 to 15 years or more and has never worked anywhere else. Change is the last thing the original cakerie it's interested in the number one focus is meeting production numbers at any cost. Safety is only a priority because it is government enforced. HR it's hugely and grossly under skilled. Production staff is all miserable and are only there for the paycheck

Pros

It's a job if you need to make money

Cons

Way too many cons to list here

Lots of politics

This company doesn't want a union and hires mostly minority groups to exploit and keep that from happening. And if those groups work together because they want to unionize they will just try a different group. Sad, really. If u take a pt posting don't let HR convince you to change your availability. Only do so if going full time and get something stating it. Otherwise you will be getting taken advantage of. Co-workers can be really cool if you get to know them while others will try to boss you around. There are some cool supervisors. If you can grit and bear it for the money do the job. But don't stay here forever. Find a proper career.

Pros

Pay, some coworkers and supervisors are really cool, you can develop a routine if that is your thing

Cons

Repetitive, political, backstabbing, sneaky, potential to be dangerous, draining mentally, inconsistent scheduling, coworkers trying to power trip others, human resources will not help you

Horrible

If you have mental health issues or struggles I beg you not to apply here! They are horrible to employees with mental health problems. They pretend to understand then pull the rug out from under you when you least expect it. This job ruined my mental health. The management doesnt care about you at all.

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Everything else

Only support there lousy staff and gets rid of the good

Was one of the hardest worker there and people back stab u and talk behind ur back when they want ur job they stab u in the back and tell lies to get u fired

Pros

Cons

Always want the lousy people lose all there good workers

Supportive work culture

The employees are very collaborative and the management is also very supportive with ample opportunities of growth and learning for everyone. Very well planned and organised work culture.

Good pay

They pay well Unorganized management Stressful Good employees, and supervisors. Higher management is hard to communicate with. It's an easy job to do.

Pros

Bonuses

Cons

Stressful

They will give you the opportunity to apply for availble positions within the company internally before they send out the available positions externally.

stressful and depressing

The products are high standard,good salary and benefits.The place is very clean. But the people who runs in productoins are toxic that poisoning littlle by little to the employees working so hard on the line.They treating the employees like a robot.He could'nt even say hi or hello. Very bias and target the person that he do not like..... And HR don't know, how difficult to work 5days in aweek like this...

Nice Place to work

Big Team, Very clean environment, co-operative crew, People are fantastic. You feel home among them immediately, Good benefits, Very good supervisors.

Pros

Subsidized cakes, free cases in lunchroom

Cons

expect to put on weight

Production

The work is fine here but the timings of shift is weird as this is 24hr working company, so there is not any exact time of shifts or somehting. every week there is a different schedule.

Harrassed, Bullied & Belittled by Management

Management & HR are corrupt and extremely toxic. Supervisors are ruthless and protect the favourites that are given the green light to torment the rest of the co-workers. HR protects the Supervisors and their favourite minions who cause all these issues on the production floor. If you go to complain about being bullied or any unfair treatment HR will turn it around against you and tell you that it’s your fault for some reason or another and make a record of discussion in your file against you!! They let the toxicity continue (they condone it) and you feel absolutely depressed and hopeless knowing you cannot quit your job as you have a family & mortgage to support. They are constantly rewarding the people who treat others like dirt with a quarterly reward system. “Capable awards” are regularly only handed out to those that demean & harass their peers at work & create false complaints against you. Team Leads are able to verbally abuse people but can then act inappropriate at work on the job/floor with others of Managements favourite as they have special protection just because they will work 6-7 days a week. Numerous people had come forth to HR regarding this issue and nothing was ever done. Those that came forth were then blacklisted as problem employees to watch out for. It’s best to not report anything to HR for your own good. It won’t work out in your favour but will be turned against you as the instigator of trouble on the floor. Trust me....this job is NOT worth your mental & physical well being to work here!!!!

A typical day at work

If I do work in this company I can gain knowledge and experience about this work which is prove beneficial for me... if you can provide me this job than I do this work with full of efficiency....thanks

Worst place EVER to work

Management promotes who they like with no experience required Gossiping Bullying Office encourages tattletale mentality Hire anyone no experience needed Training is laughable Miserable workers Could go on and on

Pros

Cons

Worst place EVER

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Original Cakerie. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement