The North West Company Pay & Benefits reviews

Great way to experience Canada but it'll cost you
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Northern Canada4 September 2018
I spent 4 years with this company in a lower management role, and while it was a great opportunity to experience northern remote locations of Canada, I worked like a dog - often 50+ hours a week with no additional compensation. Housing and a food subsidy are provided but in turn you basically earn minimum wage. I also made very little pension while with the company. This company has a terrible reputation with many communities. I have seen 400-600% markups in pricing, received inferior quality freight for stock and the only thing this company cares about is profits at the local communities' expense. I compare it to working on a cruise ship. If you are young, adventurous and have no assets then you can use this opportunity to your advantage.
Pros
travel
Cons
long hours, working short-staffed
Good company but not happy with my Manager
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 July 2018
I love my work,it’s the politics in our department that wear me down. My Manager can manipulate everything,hiring her daughters and they only work from home. Jobs tasks are not equally divided. Her daughters are having the luxury of staying at home getting paid the same but gets fewer and easier tasks. How lucky,eh? Won’t get recognized for all your hardwork and effort if she doesn’t like you. I wonder if the company’s president is aware of her dirty tactics.
Pros
Stable company
Cons
Salary is not that competitive
Very poor work/life balance
Tax Administrator (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB20 June 2018
During busy times, required to work 7 days a week, sometimes as long as 16 hours a day with no recognition of the time and effort put in. Management was more focused on what wasn't being accomplished as opposed to what was.
Pros
yearly performance bonus
Cons
I DO NOT recommend this company to anyone.
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Iqaluit, NU6 June 2018
Low salary for hours expected to work. Absolutely no support from upper management. Training was non existent. Staff housing is deplorable. Very shady company.
Pros
Great oppurtunity to see remote parts of Canada
Cons
The company as a whole is a mess.
Northern and remote place to work
Supervisor Retail (Former Employee) –  Split Lake, MB31 May 2018
Over All great learning experience. If a person enjoys living in northern part of canada then this will be the perfect job for that person. Great salary and perks.
Great Community
Assistant Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Inuvik, NT9 May 2018
Working in Inuvik for the Northwest Company was a great community experience, both with staff and the people of the community. Amazing to live that far north to experience the 24 hour sun and the 24 hour night.
Pros
Great staff benefits, medical, dental, food, housing and employee shares.
Cons
Tough to be so far away from family and friends. One vacation once a year is a long time.
Amazing company to work for.
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Attawapiskat, ON21 March 2018
I love working for TNWC, Working in Canada's North and experiencing different cultures has been an amazing adventure for us.
We are well taken care of from housing to a food allowance. I cannot say anything bad about this company.
Pros
Great Company and Benefits
Cons
Working too far from family
Great Benefits, No Work-Life Balance
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  North West Territories22 February 2018
Extremely challenging job in some of the most interesting parts of the country. Good opportunity for advancement, great benefits such as housing and food allowance. Free flights home for vacation.

Difficult environment, challenging communities with lots of social and financial hardships. Work-life balance often non-existent despite company's best efforts.
Good workplace
Current Employee (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB17 January 2018
I work specifically in the head office in Winnipeg and am commenting on that environment. This has been a great place for me since I joined. I see the management as passionate about the success of our stores and all wanting the company to do well. The culture is good with the ability to speak to anyone at all levels without hierarchy interfering.

The gym and training options are well utilized by the employees at the office. Lunch classes are very popular.

Management has given me the opportunity to take on new challenges and allow me the flexibility to try new things within my job.

The company is very involved in charitable initiatives as well.
Pros
Onsite gym, downtown location close to The Forks national park
Cons
Not sure but compensation could be better
Challenging and rewarding
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB17 November 2017
A good company to work for, good benefits. See new places and meet interesting people. Remote locations , so be ready to be homesick. It really is quite an adventure
Pros
Rewarding work
Cons
Remote
Expect to work a lot
Manager (Former Employee) –  northern canada1 September 2017
Rewarding work, long hours when others do not show up. Small communities with great people. Logistical nightmare. remote locations often with very expensive flights. one vacation per year.
benefits
Cons
long weeks
Good place to work for students
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB10 August 2017
Employees consist of different races.

Required to work on weekends.

Make many friends

Good for bachelors

Staff is good

Repetitive work

Good discount for employees
long hours with no caring from head office. just get the job done.
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Stevenson Island, MB18 June 2017
difficult environment to work in. remote locations. local population apathetic to working.. long hours are required with little support. 50 to 60 hours a week are needed due to lack of staff. sometimes just being able to open the front door is a challenge. Compensation package is good but you earn it. increased pressure from head office doesn't help the day to day situation.
Pros
compensation package
Cons
lon hours and little support. remote communitities means very little time with family.
Great experience
Office Clerk (Current Employee) –  Gjoa Haven, NU28 May 2017
It's a great job opportunity working with the north west company Learn lost of new experiences great worker always on time never miss shifts works great with people
Pros
No free lunches
Cons
8 hour shifts
Good Place to work temporary not for long term.
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Manitoba24 March 2017
I work to this company 3 years but they terminate me without giving any reason from the Manager. The company is a good place to work temporary. It is not good for a long term career.
Pros
Lot of parking space..
Cons
Long Hours
Great place to learn base job skills.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Iqaluit, NU16 February 2017
I have learned many of my work ethic from the North West Company and it is also a fantastic place to learn how to manage employees when you have worked in an adequate amount of time (approximately 1 year of experience).
Pros
scheduled breaks that benefits all employees
Cons
poor employee retention.
not a healthy workenvironment,no saving
store manager (Former Employee) –  Nunavut29 August 2016
not a healthy work environment,company is all about making profit and less care about employees.job ad saysu save what you earn but things are so expensive that you save nothing.they will provide you with food account about 900$ but when you pay 29$ for a case of pepsi and cigarettes are 24$. 900$ is not enough for a month.If you like lonely environment with nothing to do around this is the place to be but if you prefer work,enjoyment,saving then think twice.
Cons
long hours, expensive, less to no contact with family
Fun workplace and very friendly atmosphere
Office clerk (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB21 November 2015
Busy place to work but everyone is working as a team. Management is very supportive towards their employees. If there is any problem related to work place that seems very stressful we help each other and focus on how we will solve the problem. We maintain positive atmosphere so everyone is happy. Hardest part of the job is most of our customer do not have manners and very rude towards us but we try to handle it in a good way still. Treating customer with respect, being friendly and show them that we value them some of our customer appreciates and will eventually change their moods. If a customer are still rude we report it directly to our manager and our manager is the one that handle the critical situations.
Pros
Good vibes
benefits
This store was a very busy nonstop from time we opened to close.
Manager of General Merchandise (Former Employee) –  Gjoa Haven, NU1 November 2013
I was very happy to work with this Company. I learned very much about my co-workers and there way of life in the Arctic.
Pros
The North West paid me a food allowance and Rent this was very helpful.
Cons
Yes long hours i put in 50 to 60 hours a week.
loved it
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Fort Simpson, NT7 October 2013
i really liked working here but i got home sick so i came home would i ever do it agian?sure i would in a heart beat if the timing was right
Pros
alot of nice poeple
Cons
worked all the time

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The North West Company. Our community is ready to answer.