Play YouTube video button

The North West Company Pay & benefits reviews

Canada109 reviews
Featured review
The North West Company selected this as a representative review
I'd always be busy doing tasks, all the while, connecting with the staff. I learned how to tag, and mark merchandise. I learned perseverance and how to talk to people.
Gym available
Great benefits
Canteen on site
Parking waiting list

Big turnover with employees

Complexity with stores being in remote areas in all departments
Remote work locations best enjoyed if you have your partner with you.Great if you have schedule days off after every 3 or 4 months since communities can be very small and quite.
Pros
Good salary
Cons
Remote locations
Most of the management was great, until one of the night shift managers switched to day that is. I hurt myself at work, was off for 3 months, came back to an overzealous new boss who loved nothing more than to flex her power over you, talk down to you and break rules herself. The pay wasn't exactly where it should have been in relation to how fast they asked you to go, for 10 hour shifts, in my opinion anyway. The benefits kind of make up for that though. Overall, I wouldn't recommend working here, not at the murray industrial park location anyway.
Poor management and inexperienced managers. Unfriendly and poor attitude amongst co workers. Everyone seemed to hate their job and their life. Salary does not cover food and living cost. Store manager does not comply with standard fair employee treatment
Was posted to taloyoak to work at the Northern. Loved every bit of my 2 years would love to work with them again. They paid my way to get to the location which was a huge bonus and help
I would come in the mornings, clean and help where it was needed. It was not a full time position so it would be a while for me to even get a call to work. It was great working with the employees.
Pros
Free drinks
Cons
No benefits
Excellent chance to make money fast; food and rent/hydro/heat is on top of your salary. So you get to keep whatever you make.

You work long, hard, hours for the money. If you are salaried (Department manager and up), you'll be paid a fixed 75 hours per 2 week cheque, whether you work 75 or 150. And most stores will make sure you work 100 hours per cheque.
NWC sugar coats the entire hiring process. They tell you that you will make so much money... no rent...no food expenses... Well, that's is true, to a certain extent. It is added on to your pay as taxable income and you don't get much back at the end of the tax year.. So because your gross income is so much, you are taxed so much.

Another point: if you aren't working at the moment, you will be.

Expect very long hours. High turnover rate for regular part time and full time employees. Nobody shows up on time. Be expected to work short staffed and do the work of 4 people.

Mental health wise, you really should reconsider it if you have some issues. You will be alone. You will be homesick. You will be sad.

Health services is very scarce and most of the time in the communities, they only will see you if it is an emergency only. If you are not a local or a band beneficiary, you will not be able to see the physician or dentist.

If you do make a request to the company for something, expect a very long delay in getting an answer. And also expect to get a vague, probably diverted answer.

The workplace is also a major factor in this. What a lot of people do not realize, is that a lot of the more mature management with the company have substance abuse issues (i.e. alcoholism). This company disregards its employees and does not have any trust in them when they are in need of medical services or for personal reasons.

The good things about working with NWC is that you will make money. If you are SINGLE, NO CHILDREN OR DEPENDENTS, ARE OKAY WITH BEING
 - more...
most stores in smaller area's you must be prepared for a low level of things to do in the area not much for store activities or fuctions
Pros
depending on area a food program is in place
Cons
no help long an alot of hours impossible to find local part time help
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at The North West Company?
I spent 4 years with this company in a lower management role, and while it was a great opportunity to experience northern remote locations of Canada, I worked like a dog - often 50+ hours a week with no additional compensation. Housing and a food subsidy are provided but in turn you basically earn minimum wage. I also made very little pension while with the company. This company has a terrible reputation with many communities. I have seen 400-600% markups in pricing, received inferior quality freight for stock and the only thing this company cares about is profits at the local communities' expense. I compare it to working on a cruise ship. If you are young, adventurous and have no assets then you can use this opportunity to your advantage.
Pros
travel
Cons
long hours, working short-staffed
I love my work,it’s the politics in our department that wear me down. My Manager can manipulate everything,hiring her daughters and they only work from home. Jobs tasks are not equally divided. Her daughters are having the luxury of staying at home getting paid the same but gets fewer and easier tasks. How lucky,eh? Won’t get recognized for all your hardwork and effort if she doesn’t like you. I wonder if the company’s president is aware of her dirty tactics.
Pros
Stable company
Cons
Salary is not that competitive
During busy times, required to work 7 days a week, sometimes as long as 16 hours a day with no recognition of the time and effort put in. Management was more focused on what wasn't being accomplished as opposed to what was.
Pros
yearly performance bonus
Cons
Low salary for hours expected to work. Absolutely no support from upper management. Training was non existent. Staff housing is deplorable. Very shady company.
Pros
Great oppurtunity to see remote parts of Canada
Cons
The company as a whole is a mess.
Over All great learning experience. If a person enjoys living in northern part of canada then this will be the perfect job for that person. Great salary and perks.
Working in Inuvik for the Northwest Company was a great community experience, both with staff and the people of the community. Amazing to live that far north to experience the 24 hour sun and the 24 hour night.
Pros
Great staff benefits, medical, dental, food, housing and employee shares.
Cons
Tough to be so far away from family and friends. One vacation once a year is a long time.
I love working for TNWC, Working in Canada's North and experiencing different cultures has been an amazing adventure for us.
We are well taken care of from housing to a food allowance. I cannot say anything bad about this company.
Pros
Great Company and Benefits
Cons
Working too far from family
Extremely challenging job in some of the most interesting parts of the country. Good opportunity for advancement, great benefits such as housing and food allowance. Free flights home for vacation.

Difficult environment, challenging communities with lots of social and financial hardships. Work-life balance often non-existent despite company's best efforts.
I work specifically in the head office in Winnipeg and am commenting on that environment. This has been a great place for me since I joined. I see the management as passionate about the success of our stores and all wanting the company to do well. The culture is good with the ability to speak to anyone at all levels without hierarchy interfering.

The gym and training options are well utilized by the employees at the office. Lunch classes are very popular.

Management has given me the opportunity to take on new challenges and allow me the flexibility to try new things within my job.

The company is very involved in charitable initiatives as well.
Pros
Onsite gym, downtown location close to The Forks national park
Cons
Not sure but compensation could be better
A good company to work for, good benefits. See new places and meet interesting people. Remote locations , so be ready to be homesick. It really is quite an adventure
Pros
Rewarding work
Cons
Remote
Rewarding work, long hours when others do not show up. Small communities with great people. Logistical nightmare. remote locations often with very expensive flights. one vacation per year.
benefits
Cons
long weeks
Ask a question about working or interviewing at The North West Company. Our community is ready to answer.
2.8