Play YouTube video button

The North West Company Employee Reviews

Canada106 reviews
Featured review
The North West Company selected this as a representative review
Friendly staff that felt like family.
I'd always be busy doing tasks, all the while, connecting with the staff. I learned how to tag, and mark merchandise. I learned perseverance and how to talk to people.
Avoid Nightshift
If you get put onto night shift, you are stuck on night shift. Your schedule stays the same always. Very dirty and hot in the warehouse. Team leaders are hired from outside the company, so little chance of advancement. Extremely difficult to change departments.
A joke not worth the money at all
This company is definitely going in the wrong direction. Yearly they are gouging the communities they are in and the people within those communities know this which is why they are losing market share throughout the north. You get paid 37.5 per week but are expected to work over 50 on a regular bases if you are in management but only get paid for 37.5 hrs work. Upper management is a joke, Winnipeg needs to take a hard look at this business as if they don’t fix this there won’t be a company in years to come

tomany people with no experience within the retail industry
No faith in employees - upper management and Store Managers were as crooked as any I've ever seen!
For the first year and a half that I worked for this company, I did so out of the strict necessity to take care of my family. I had no personal investment and didn't care much about the environment or culture. It was only after fully buying into the situation as being a viable future for myself, as well as my spouse, that I came to realize that this company is a farce, at best. The entire operation hinges upon Store and Regional managers and how much they can get away with. They are disrespectful to employees, customers, each other, etc... it's a travesty, when you consider that the company itself claims to care about the Arctic population, while wholeheartedly expressing internally, that the bottom line is all that matters - people outside, or even inside of the operation are always considered expendable. I was lied to, taken advantage of and treated in ways that I have never tolerated in other work situations, mostly because the company relocated me to the middle of nowhere and made me feel as if I were abandoned... don't work for this company if you have even a shred of hope for any other option!
Grocery clerk
I have more experience and working with the Northwest company I took a lot of training and took me long ways and it became a supervisor how to train a lot of people athletic training done it went to company for so long..
challenging experience
Was a challenging experience having worked in some very remote areas whether it be accessed by ice roads, helicopters, boat or plane. Staff at head office were on the ball and there to help along the way. Very fun way to travel the true north and see some amazing views and people.
Good working Environment
The company is very big ,lot of room to grow .There are very different departments for each role.Team members are very helpful.Lots of different techniques to use and lots of learning involved.
It was an amazing experience
Learned so many things

NWC has made me a new person

It was my pleasure to work with NWC

Everyday is a new day for me

Every time I learned new things with every other person
Productive and very challenging
has very good working environment. people are nice. always busy but very productive. employees are well trained. department mangers are always ready to help and very accommodating.
Too complex
Gym available
Great benefits

Canteen on site

Parking waiting list

Big turnover with employees

Complexity with stores being in remote areas in all departments
An experience like no other
An experience like no other, I would never work for them again, but they gave me the opportunity to see parts of the world I would never have experienced without working for them.
productive but can be boring outside work hours
Remote work locations best enjoyed if you have your partner with you.Great if you have schedule days off after every 3 or 4 months since communities can be very small and quite.
Pros
Good salary
Cons
Remote locations
Favoritism
800 cases per day , everyone in dry grocery grabbing their own pick sheets, leaving garbage for new guys , gravy train for their favorite employees, say they treat everyone the same lies who wants to weekends ? Because thsts what you'll be doin for 20yrs
Pros
Good paycheck
Cons
Poor management
Very good
Very good , great atmosphere, good people , nice communities, great staff, great experience, beautiful stores , decent, excellent and hardworking support staff all around .
Management issues
Most of the management was great, until one of the night shift managers switched to day that is. I hurt myself at work, was off for 3 months, came back to an overzealous new boss who loved nothing more than to flex her power over you, talk down to you and break rules herself. The pay wasn't exactly where it should have been in relation to how fast they asked you to go, for 10 hour shifts, in my opinion anyway. The benefits kind of make up for that though. Overall, I wouldn't recommend working here, not at the murray industrial park location anyway.
Poor people culture
Miss management = poor people performance reviews.
Poor people culture and lacks and structure.

There is limited interest to grow ones career with in the company.

Upper management squabble with one another. Like an old boys club culture.

Very much a government environment without it being one.

Upper management have been around far to longamd they comoany needs to adapt and change
Great
The northwest company was a great place to work at. I would recommend it to other general labourers that like to work in a warehouse with great people.
Not a bad place to work
The company has some major hurtles they need to overcome, however if they can, they will continually be successful. 3 years ago, work life balance was a priority as well as employee engagment, however lately it's about squeezing water from a rock for the share holders. Some internal stratedgies as well as people will need to change before we see this happen. Is essence no differemt than any other retailer
Very unorganized company
Poor management and inexperienced managers. Unfriendly and poor attitude amongst co workers. Everyone seemed to hate their job and their life. Salary does not cover food and living cost. Store manager does not comply with standard fair employee treatment
Remote locations
Working for the northwest company was challenging. Dealing with logistics of ordering and going to the airport to pick up your own freight. Learning diverse cultures . Overall hard challenging work but a great experience overall.
Great opportunity and experience, poor management.
I would totally do this all over again! However I would have asked for much more money as I found myself very underpaid for the area I was placed. I should have asked for at least 10k more. My store manger was very lazy and expected his team to pull double time while he came to work late, and left early nearly every day. Most of my training was "figure it out myself" When I did ask for help my management team only stepped in once I was drowning and only by getting others to help me not themselves.Had I been in any other community this may have been an amazing experience but I was bullied by more than one of the department managers and the store manager was more interested in watching the drama than doing anything about it.

In short, I had no choice where I would end up. the people and the culture was amazing. Working for the company means that I had to learn how to "Play Games" as well as do my job. Once there I was basically stuck there. So I either had to make it work or go home. I chose to stay and make it work. i learned a lot and grew in ways that i never would have had I not gone. Every job comes with good and bad. The good is just that good, but the bad is what helps us grow and become more. Don't be afraid of the bad just learn how to be better than it. if I could do it all over again would I? ABSOLUTELY YES!!!! I would just have asked for much more money....
Ask a question about working or interviewing at The North West Company. Our community is ready to answer.
2.8