The North West Company
Happiness score is 56 out of 100

The North West Company Employee Reviews

Canada500 reviews

Decent place for an internship

Working for this company seemed like it would be an unforgettable internship experience, and in many ways it was (but not always for good reasons). There are many hardships that accompany living in Northern communities and it's something that you really have to be mentally and physically prepared for. There are typically no hospitals, banks and other amenities that people from cities would be used to. There are also problems with substance abuse in many communities.

Pros

Seeing new parts of Canada, food and housing costs covered by company, experience new culture and way of life

Cons

Long hours, stressful, unreliable staff, overworked management team

giving me excellent experience in my career life

All the people working here are extremely supportive and helpful. The management is awesome. Good place to grow and Excel. Work environment is super good.

24 December 2021
We are glad your experience with The North West Company has been positive! We love to see our employees learn and grow with us.

Great place to work and make a difference to our communities we serve

Great Leadership, Every day we working to get better to support the communities we serve. The most enjoyable part of the job is to see successful employees thrive and grow and make a difference in our communities

Pros

Making a difference in people's lives and communities we served

24 December 2021
We appreciate your passion for our stores, communities and people. Thank you for all your hard work and dedication to The North West Company.

toxic people

i worked fot the northwest company for over 10 years and was so glad to leave.if you like lifting boxes up to 100 lbs all day with no end in sight apply here. management promotes the lazy weak people and and keeps the hard workers right where they want them working in cold coolers picking orders non stop. office staff and the receptionist at Crescent multi foods "a division of the north west co" make the same wage as the guys who break their back day in and day out. don't work here and settle and be miserable like the rest of them. life it too short to spent a third of your life with a bunch of miserable toxic co workers.

Pros

ok pay

Cons

everything

24 December 2021
The North West Company prides itself on supporting its employees and we are always looking to improve, we appreciate your candid feedback.

Not for everybody

Depending on where you placed this could be the best job for you or the worse also depending on who you are, it is NOT for everyone. It is an experience and you get to see some of the best places in the arctic or northern canada, and can meet the people who live there, that being said it is northern canada and has its challenges, you will not get the same services as you would anywhere else, you will work for the only place that provides goods for a community and that is limited.

Pros

Housing and food provided, along with plane tickets

Cons

No staff at times, harsh climate, little services

Staff

This is the worst place to work the hours are long and, The living conditions are will below and standers, and the bottom line is money. This is not a good and safe place to work.

Hectic and tedious work space

I can be very easy on a slow day or very busy, nothing exciting. Just your regular store, a little old with some modern equipment. The managers can be annoying, and it gets cold in winter

Pros

Depending on your position, free lunch. Staff discount on some items. Certain staff can buy food with their work card.

Cons

Long hours, spotty staff. Unstable weather in winter. Calls in to work.

Zero training, Unclear direction, Lots of meetings with very little accomplished, Upper Management doesn't listen, Minimal work life balance

There are a great deal of positives working for the North West Company offices in Winnipeg. The compensation package has been excellent, as have my bonuses. There are some fantastic people working in the trenches. NWC has evolved a great deal over the past years as many external hires have been brought on for positions, often in cases where no job posting was put forth for internal candidates. Further, when starting a new role no training is provided, or very little resource. Everybody is very busy, so often you need to figure things out for yourself. Senior management often say one thing, then do another all together. Many of the VPs just have a fixed mindset and shut down those that have other solutions. The business is very top heavy. Lots of VPs, EVPs, etc. Each one of them protects their "empire". The VPs management styles have divided the business into silos. (Even though Sr. Management is in denial). Cross-department Collaboration has improved greatly over the past years, mostly due to the efforts of middle management. If senior management would back off sometimes the efforts of their teams would actually create a more harmonious work environment.There are a lot of meetings that happen in the NWC. The culture surrounding meetings in the company is frustrating. Many times people schedule meetings with people without looking at stakeholders calendars. It is not unheard of to be triple, or quadruple booked for meetings throughout the course of the day. People arrive late to meetings, so often they don't start early or end late. Meeting rooms often -

Pros

Fantastic store locations, Great people employed.

Cons

Little work/life balance. No training. Numerous "restructures", Top Heavy

3 August 2021
Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate all your hard work with The North West Company, please feel free to reach out to our HR Department to discuss any concerns you may have.

A great career opportunity with some challenges.

Great company to gain valuable work experience. Areas of concern include Corporate culture and the intricacies of the northern remote lifestyle. Good opportunity to see remote parts of Canada that most Canadians will never see. I extend a caveat surrounding the issolation experienced in the remote communities we serve and the culture shock that exists. This is an area of concern for those who are accustomed to living in large urban centers.

Pros

Great opportunity to experience a diversity of cultures across remote northern Canada.

Cons

Corporate culture is misleading, people are treated like commodities with little focus on personal or family needs.

Pay is decent as are the bonuses

Horrible customers with no respect, death threats, zero life. Work, home, work, home. If you're single with no kids you're constantly being transferred! And I mean CONSTANTLY!! Cant create a life if you wanted to due to being relocated all the time.

Pros

Decent money

Cons

Customers and staff being completely unreliable

Stressful work environment - unable to speak freely

Too many people giving directives and not enough support. Some managers were vague and difficult to communicate with and concerns are not addressed formally, management reactions are mostly aggressive and demeaning. Resolutions are directives instead of suggesting best practices.

3 August 2021
The North West Company prides itself on supporting it’s employees and we are always looking to improve, we appreciate your candid feedback.

Customer Service Representative

This title is not justified for the amount of work you are required to do. You are more than a customer service representative but the company refuses to acknowledge this in order to categorize your title on a pay scale.

6 July 2021
Please feel free to reach out to Human Resources with any questions or concerns you may have.

A unique pharmacist opportunity

Great place to work as a pharmacist in a unique role, helping people in BC via telehealth with their healthcare questions. Nice to have the luxury of time to spend with callers helping them to better understand their medications. Always supported by the company when process or technology changes are implemented and for continuing education opportunities.

30 June 2021
Thank you for your feedback. We are happy to hear that you are enjoying your position at The North West Company.

Super job to work at

I Love working here, my colleagues are fabulous to work with here and I learn so many skills. I truly use my Clinical knowledge to its greatest potential

Enjoying what I do

I am fortunate to work in something that I really enjoy. I am always working on different things and wearing different hats at the same time, which is great because it allows me to have fun and to learn a lot. The work environment is pretty fast-paced, you'll never get bored. The best part is that you always have the support of your manager and a great work team behind you!

12 July 2021
That is great to hear! We appreciate and thank you for your feedback!

Positive and Supportive Office Environment

I have had a positive experience so far working as an office staff member. I have found my team to be very encouraging and supportive with helping me learn about the business and how I can be successful in my role. I have also found the company to be very accommodating with the work from home situation during the current pandemic.

7 July 2021

Motorsports dept. in a brief

Here at NWC Motorsports we assist northern customers & stores with their powersports & automotive parts & service requests. Daily; we answer phone call & email requests for all kinds of parts to keep them going on their day to day lifestyle of the North. We are fast paced facility with ever changing stock and demands.

6 July 2021
Thank you for your feedback, We are glad you are enjoying your time with The North West Company

Growth

The North West Company is a place where I have grown as a person as well as in my career. The workplace is in a great location. I like the flexibility I have with my schedule.

7 July 2021
"The North West Company is happy to have been able to be a part of your personal and professional growth. We hope we can continue to contribute to those areas in the future. "

The best part of the job

The best part of the job is working with co-workers and having fun while still being able to get the job done in an eight hour shift. Working together as a team is also very rewarding and fulfilling and it is always nice to be able to leave at the end of the day with a great sense of purpose.

6 July 2021
That is great to hear! We appreciate and thank you for your feedback!

Benefits and downsides of working at nwc

The experience is great and there is opportunity to learn more. The downsides however are that there is very minimal opportunity to progress if you are looking to expand or go higher in your career and the turn over is high.

Nwc

Find the work generally interesting and engaging. Appreciate the company's unique culture and history, and believe that it creates a stronger team environment. Would like to see more programming for internal training and development.

7 July 2021
Thank you for your feedback, glad you’re enjoying your time at The North West Company. Please reach out to your manager or Human Resources with any suggestions you may have for internal training and development.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The North West Company. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0Job security/advancement