The North West Company Employee Reviews

Productive workplace with different perks
Business Analyst (contract) (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB3 August 2018
Nice company to work in. Friendly people and good job culture. Company really takes care of the employees spending time and money for the education and leisure.
Location isolated, and so are you.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Saskatchewan31 July 2018
Forget what you agree to, get ready to work way more. Don't be thinking about those bonuses either. They will keep you from getting those too. There is little to no actual support from HO. They don't want to hear that you work too many hours doing everything, but they will let you know what is not done. And don't bring any enthusiasm to make anything better, they don't like that too much either.
Pros
Get to see the most beautiful parts of Canada
Cons
Sucks the life out of you. By design.
great, fun experience
Grocery Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kashechewan, ON24 July 2018
an amazing company to work with. I worked as part of the management team in the stores that I was in and it was one of the best work experiences I ever had.
Great Career
FS Mgr, Proprietary & Branded FS Specialist (Former Employee) –  Moosonee, LaRonge, Winnipeg, Iqaluit23 July 2018
Just retired after working for NWC for over 14 years. Only regret is that I did not join the company 25 years before I did.
Working for NWC was a pleasure, great people in the 92 Northern locations I had the pleasure to travel to.
Do your homework before accepting an opportunity to travel north. Being unprepared can be detrimental to the overall experience you will have. We set goals when we ventured north,knew what we were getting into,accepted the challenges, put in a ton of hours, had no false expectations and made the best of the situation. In return we received a healthy food allowance to offset the cost of food, fully furnished housing with all amenities,annual performance evaluations with generous bonuses for a job well done.
In other words, you get what you give........

For my wife and I, working for The North West Company LP enabled us to retire 4 years earlier than our original plans.
Pros
Amazing People, Housing, Inuit Culture, First Nations culture
Work ethics
Training and Development Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB10 July 2018
Everybody does their work according to the assigned task. People are doing the thing that is only due from them unless otherwise instructed to do other's job.
Pros
Work based on role profile
Cons
No opportunity to grow since work is confined only with the role profile.
Good company but not happy with my Manager
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 July 2018
I love my work,it’s the politics in our department that wear me down. My Manager can manipulate everything,hiring her daughters and they only work from home. Jobs tasks are not equally divided. Her daughters are having the luxury of staying at home getting paid the same but gets fewer and easier tasks. How lucky,eh? Won’t get recognized for all your hardwork and effort if she doesn’t like you. I wonder if the company’s president is aware of her dirty tactics.
Pros
Stable company
Cons
Salary is not that competitive
They were awesome guys to work with
Head Cashier/Emergency Gas Attendant (Former Employee) –  Sandy Lake, ON26 June 2018
They very efficient in their work place areas and their team work values
they were fun to work with, very informative and a safe group of people to be around.
Pros
Fun work experience
Cons
expensive products
I learned a lot at this job
General Store and Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Arviat, NU21 June 2018
Good experience in honing in my management skills. I was able to experience the culture of the Inuit and First Nation's people. I feel I have a better understanding of the overall nature of indigenous culture as well as having a bigger picture of what Canada is.
Pros
Food Allowances and Housing
Cons
Isolation
Very poor work/life balance
Tax Administrator (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB20 June 2018
During busy times, required to work 7 days a week, sometimes as long as 16 hours a day with no recognition of the time and effort put in. Management was more focused on what wasn't being accomplished as opposed to what was.
Pros
yearly performance bonus
Cons
I DO NOT recommend this company to anyone.
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Iqaluit, NU6 June 2018
Low salary for hours expected to work. Absolutely no support from upper management. Training was non existent. Staff housing is deplorable. Very shady company.
Pros
Great oppurtunity to see remote parts of Canada
Cons
The company as a whole is a mess.
Northern and remote place to work
Supervisor Retail (Former Employee) –  Split Lake, MB31 May 2018
Over All great learning experience. If a person enjoys living in northern part of canada then this will be the perfect job for that person. Great salary and perks.
A good place to get accustomed to working
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Buffalo Narrows, SK9 May 2018
It was a good place to work for my second store job, I liked my co-workers, and it helped me to learn more about working with people and understanding the importance of customer service and courtesy.
Pros
easy walking distance from home
Cons
some employees were too comfortable
Great Community
Assistant Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Inuvik, NT9 May 2018
Working in Inuvik for the Northwest Company was a great community experience, both with staff and the people of the community. Amazing to live that far north to experience the 24 hour sun and the 24 hour night.
Pros
Great staff benefits, medical, dental, food, housing and employee shares.
Cons
Tough to be so far away from family and friends. One vacation once a year is a long time.
Amazing company to work for.
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Attawapiskat, ON21 March 2018
I love working for TNWC, Working in Canada's North and experiencing different cultures has been an amazing adventure for us.
We are well taken care of from housing to a food allowance. I cannot say anything bad about this company.
Pros
Great Company and Benefits
Cons
Working too far from family
Great Benefits, No Work-Life Balance
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  North West Territories22 February 2018
Extremely challenging job in some of the most interesting parts of the country. Good opportunity for advancement, great benefits such as housing and food allowance. Free flights home for vacation.

Difficult environment, challenging communities with lots of social and financial hardships. Work-life balance often non-existent despite company's best efforts.
fun place to work
Warehouse/Grocery Worker (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 February 2018
I would say that the north place company is a great place to earn extra cash on the side as a second job. hours are flexible with great management, looked forward to going into work everyday.
Good workplace
Current Employee (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB17 January 2018
I work specifically in the head office in Winnipeg and am commenting on that environment. This has been a great place for me since I joined. I see the management as passionate about the success of our stores and all wanting the company to do well. The culture is good with the ability to speak to anyone at all levels without hierarchy interfering.

The gym and training options are well utilized by the employees at the office. Lunch classes are very popular.

Management has given me the opportunity to take on new challenges and allow me the flexibility to try new things within my job.

The company is very involved in charitable initiatives as well.
Pros
Onsite gym, downtown location close to The Forks national park
Cons
Not sure but compensation could be better
Productive and Fun workplace
Giant Tiger (Former Employee) –  Yorkton, SK6 January 2018
A typical day at G.T is successfully satisfying the customers in what they were seeking.
I learned how to run the tills, how to have great customer service
The management was good
The hardest part of the job was adjusting to new protocols
The most enjoyable part of the job was making new friends.
Pros
Great Co-Workers
Cons
Fun productive and fast paced environment,
Dispatch Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB30 December 2017
Very fast paced environment, challenging but rewarding. Learnt a lot of new things everyday and being put to the test daily on how to deal with difficult tasks. Met great people while I was there.
Pros
Challenge of my job
Cons
N\a
Challenging and rewarding
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB17 November 2017
A good company to work for, good benefits. See new places and meet interesting people. Remote locations , so be ready to be homesick. It really is quite an adventure
Pros
Rewarding work
Cons
Remote

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The North West Company. Our community is ready to answer.

The North West Company Reviews by Location