The North West Company Employee Reviews

Great way to experience Canada but it'll cost you
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Northern Canada4 September 2018
I spent 4 years with this company in a lower management role, and while it was a great opportunity to experience northern remote locations of Canada, I worked like a dog - often 50+ hours a week with no additional compensation. Housing and a food subsidy are provided but in turn you basically earn minimum wage. I also made very little pension while with the company. This company has a terrible reputation with many communities. I have seen 400-600% markups in pricing, received inferior quality freight for stock and the only thing this company cares about is profits at the local communities' expense. I compare it to working on a cruise ship. If you are young, adventurous and have no assets then you can use this opportunity to your advantage.
Pros
travel
Cons
long hours, working short-staffed
Good company but not happy with my Manager
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 July 2018
I love my work,it’s the politics in our department that wear me down. My Manager can manipulate everything,hiring her daughters and they only work from home. Jobs tasks are not equally divided. Her daughters are having the luxury of staying at home getting paid the same but gets fewer and easier tasks. How lucky,eh? Won’t get recognized for all your hardwork and effort if she doesn’t like you. I wonder if the company’s president is aware of her dirty tactics.
Pros
Stable company
Cons
Salary is not that competitive
They use people
grocery selector (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB3 February 2019
Supervisors and coworkers are nice, it would be a good place to work if management wasn't ruthless about cutting man-hours to save money.
You're lucking to get more than 30 hours a week but they're still going to expect you to be available for 40. They have a revolving door policy, they're always hiring because they can't get people to stay.
Pros
Cons
can't support yourself
I learned a lot at this job
General Store and Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Arviat, NU21 June 2018
Good experience in honing in my management skills. I was able to experience the culture of the Inuit and First Nation's people. I feel I have a better understanding of the overall nature of indigenous culture as well as having a bigger picture of what Canada is.
Pros
Food Allowances and Housing
Cons
Isolation
Good workplace
Current Employee (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB17 January 2018
I work specifically in the head office in Winnipeg and am commenting on that environment. This has been a great place for me since I joined. I see the management as passionate about the success of our stores and all wanting the company to do well. The culture is good with the ability to speak to anyone at all levels without hierarchy interfering.

The gym and training options are well utilized by the employees at the office. Lunch classes are very popular.

Management has given me the opportunity to take on new challenges and allow me the flexibility to try new things within my job.

The company is very involved in charitable initiatives as well.
Pros
Onsite gym, downtown location close to The Forks national park
Cons
Not sure but compensation could be better
Great Career
FS Mgr, Proprietary & Branded FS Specialist (Former Employee) –  Moosonee, LaRonge, Winnipeg, Iqaluit23 July 2018
Just retired after working for NWC for over 14 years. Only regret is that I did not join the company 25 years before I did.
Working for NWC was a pleasure, great people in the 92 Northern locations I had the pleasure to travel to.
Do your homework before accepting an opportunity to travel north. Being unprepared can be detrimental to the overall experience you will have. We set goals when we ventured north,knew what we were getting into,accepted the challenges, put in a ton of hours, had no false expectations and made the best of the situation. In return we received a healthy food allowance to offset the cost of food, fully furnished housing with all amenities,annual performance evaluations with generous bonuses for a job well done.
In other words, you get what you give........

For my wife and I, working for The North West Company LP enabled us to retire 4 years earlier than our original plans.
Pros
Amazing People, Housing, Inuit Culture, First Nations culture
Mental preparation an asset
Food Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Moosonee, ON30 August 2018
I worked for the North West Company for 6 straight years. I was fortunate enough to be assigned a location with very little issues. Working overtime for me was not much of an issue as I felt a lot more could be accomplished after hours. My overall opinion is it would be a great place to work for anyone single who had good work ethic and could deal with a lot of unforeseen issues.
Pros
Sign in card for management that could be used as a grocery subsidy.
Cons
Massive challenges in getting in parts and labour.
TLDR; Private Contractor Things
Construction Assistant (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 January 2019
My Involvement with the company is very little.

Sent to remote locations to renovate North West Company owned housing for Northern Store Managers, almost exclusively on reserves
Pros
Free Food, Never the same thing every day
Cons
Incredibly Long Hours, No Overtime.
Very poor work/life balance
Tax Administrator (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB20 June 2018
During busy times, required to work 7 days a week, sometimes as long as 16 hours a day with no recognition of the time and effort put in. Management was more focused on what wasn't being accomplished as opposed to what was.
Pros
yearly performance bonus
Stay away..
Managed (Former Employee) –  northet sask.4 September 2018
.....I interviewed with these clowns- not only did I laugh at their offer but I will never shop in their filthy stores!
.....the HR department are a joke and management are very weak - would never survive in a mainstream grocery environment. The only reason the exist is they have overpriced stores in remote locations! They rip off people who have no other choice!

STAY AWAY!
Pros
i didnt accrot offer
No workplace ethics
Manager (Former Employee) –  Rankin Inlet, NU11 October 2018
No life. Bias management. Company dont appreciate your work. Better stay away of this company. Northwaste company.

I suggest to stay away of this company.
Pros
No Pros
Cons
Too cold, dry, harsh winter . Not good money . No life
I DO NOT recommend this company to anyone.
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Iqaluit, NU6 June 2018
Low salary for hours expected to work. Absolutely no support from upper management. Training was non existent. Staff housing is deplorable. Very shady company.
Pros
Great oppurtunity to see remote parts of Canada
Cons
The company as a whole is a mess.
Great Benefits, No Work-Life Balance
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  North West Territories22 February 2018
Extremely challenging job in some of the most interesting parts of the country. Good opportunity for advancement, great benefits such as housing and food allowance. Free flights home for vacation.

Difficult environment, challenging communities with lots of social and financial hardships. Work-life balance often non-existent despite company's best efforts.
Eye Opening
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  La Loche, SK8 October 2018
its a once in a life time experience and for some the start of an entire career.
many pros and cons to the opportunity but overall an amazing opportunity.
Productive workplace with different perks
Business Analyst (contract) (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB3 August 2018
Nice company to work in. Friendly people and good job culture. Company really takes care of the employees spending time and money for the education and leisure.
Dmit
DMIT Food services (Current Employee) –  Rankin Inlet, NU13 October 2018
I have been with the Northwest Company for 4 years now.I am here to work and help teach co workers from the community the life of retail,I don't plan to stay forever ,but I love living up North.what you give is what you get out of it .Sure is alot of hours but sometimes this is what it takes to support your Team .Its all worth it in the end .
Pros
Meeting people from the community Resiliant and adaptable
Amazing company to work for.
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Attawapiskat, ON21 March 2018
I love working for TNWC, Working in Canada's North and experiencing different cultures has been an amazing adventure for us.
We are well taken care of from housing to a food allowance. I cannot say anything bad about this company.
Pros
Great Company and Benefits
Cons
Working too far from family
great, fun experience
Grocery Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kashechewan, ON24 July 2018
an amazing company to work with. I worked as part of the management team in the stores that I was in and it was one of the best work experiences I ever had.
Friendly staff that felt like family.
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Pickle Lake, ON28 November 2018
I'd always be busy doing tasks, all the while, connecting with the staff. I learned how to tag, and mark merchandise. I learned perseverance and how to talk to people.
Location isolated, and so are you.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Saskatchewan31 July 2018
Forget what you agree to, get ready to work way more. Don't be thinking about those bonuses either. They will keep you from getting those too. There is little to no actual support from HO. They don't want to hear that you work too many hours doing everything, but they will let you know what is not done. And don't bring any enthusiasm to make anything better, they don't like that too much either.
Pros
Get to see the most beautiful parts of Canada
Cons
Sucks the life out of you. By design.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The North West Company. Our community is ready to answer.