The North West Company Employee Reviews

Friendly staff that felt like family.
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Pickle Lake, ON28 November 2018
I'd always be busy doing tasks, all the while, connecting with the staff. I learned how to tag, and mark merchandise. I learned perseverance and how to talk to people.
Productive and enjoyable work place.
Point of Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB24 October 2018
Great company with multiple Grocery banners across the world and northern Canada.
The company has a variety of department roles for all. From IT to retail.
No workplace ethics
Manager (Former Employee) –  Rankin Inlet, NU11 October 2018
No life. Bias management. Company dont appreciate your work. Better stay away of this company. Northwaste company.

I suggest to stay away of this company.
Pros
No Pros
Cons
Too cold, dry, harsh winter . Not good money . No life
Eye Opening
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  La Loche, SK8 October 2018
its a once in a life time experience and for some the start of an entire career.
many pros and cons to the opportunity but overall an amazing opportunity.
Most professional retailing position
TRANSPORTATION ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB1 October 2018
Very professional the way all the employee work spaces are set. Great deal of autonomy in work. Still learning to establish a proper company structure.
Great way to experience Canada but it'll cost you
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Northern Canada4 September 2018
I spent 4 years with this company in a lower management role, and while it was a great opportunity to experience northern remote locations of Canada, I worked like a dog - often 50+ hours a week with no additional compensation. Housing and a food subsidy are provided but in turn you basically earn minimum wage. I also made very little pension while with the company. This company has a terrible reputation with many communities. I have seen 400-600% markups in pricing, received inferior quality freight for stock and the only thing this company cares about is profits at the local communities' expense. I compare it to working on a cruise ship. If you are young, adventurous and have no assets then you can use this opportunity to your advantage.
Pros
travel
Cons
long hours, working short-staffed
Stay away..
Managed (Former Employee) –  northet sask.4 September 2018
.....I interviewed with these clowns- not only did I laugh at their offer but I will never shop in their filthy stores!
.....the HR department are a joke and management are very weak - would never survive in a mainstream grocery environment. The only reason the exist is they have overpriced stores in remote locations! They rip off people who have no other choice!

STAY AWAY!
Pros
i didnt accrot offer
Mental preparation an asset
Food Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Moosonee, ON30 August 2018
I worked for the North West Company for 6 straight years. I was fortunate enough to be assigned a location with very little issues. Working overtime for me was not much of an issue as I felt a lot more could be accomplished after hours. My overall opinion is it would be a great place to work for anyone single who had good work ethic and could deal with a lot of unforeseen issues.
Pros
Sign in card for management that could be used as a grocery subsidy.
Cons
Massive challenges in getting in parts and labour.
Productive workplace with different perks
Business Analyst (contract) (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB3 August 2018
Nice company to work in. Friendly people and good job culture. Company really takes care of the employees spending time and money for the education and leisure.
Location isolated, and so are you.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Saskatchewan31 July 2018
Forget what you agree to, get ready to work way more. Don't be thinking about those bonuses either. They will keep you from getting those too. There is little to no actual support from HO. They don't want to hear that you work too many hours doing everything, but they will let you know what is not done. And don't bring any enthusiasm to make anything better, they don't like that too much either.
Pros
Get to see the most beautiful parts of Canada
Cons
Sucks the life out of you. By design.
Category manager
Category Manager (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB30 July 2018
flexible hours and lots of independent working
comfortable work station
lots of computer work and desk work
lots of company events very social workplace
travel throughout the north
Pros
good co-worker
Cons
poor training
great, fun experience
Grocery Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kashechewan, ON24 July 2018
an amazing company to work with. I worked as part of the management team in the stores that I was in and it was one of the best work experiences I ever had.
Great Career
FS Mgr, Proprietary & Branded FS Specialist (Former Employee) –  Moosonee, LaRonge, Winnipeg, Iqaluit23 July 2018
Just retired after working for NWC for over 14 years. Only regret is that I did not join the company 25 years before I did.
Working for NWC was a pleasure, great people in the 92 Northern locations I had the pleasure to travel to.
Do your homework before accepting an opportunity to travel north. Being unprepared can be detrimental to the overall experience you will have. We set goals when we ventured north,knew what we were getting into,accepted the challenges, put in a ton of hours, had no false expectations and made the best of the situation. In return we received a healthy food allowance to offset the cost of food, fully furnished housing with all amenities,annual performance evaluations with generous bonuses for a job well done.
In other words, you get what you give........

For my wife and I, working for The North West Company LP enabled us to retire 4 years earlier than our original plans.
Pros
Amazing People, Housing, Inuit Culture, First Nations culture
Work ethics
Training and Development Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB10 July 2018
Everybody does their work according to the assigned task. People are doing the thing that is only due from them unless otherwise instructed to do other's job.
Pros
Work based on role profile
Cons
No opportunity to grow since work is confined only with the role profile.
Good company but not happy with my Manager
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 July 2018
I love my work,it’s the politics in our department that wear me down. My Manager can manipulate everything,hiring her daughters and they only work from home. Jobs tasks are not equally divided. Her daughters are having the luxury of staying at home getting paid the same but gets fewer and easier tasks. How lucky,eh? Won’t get recognized for all your hardwork and effort if she doesn’t like you. I wonder if the company’s president is aware of her dirty tactics.
Pros
Stable company
Cons
Salary is not that competitive
They were awesome guys to work with
Head Cashier/Emergency Gas Attendant (Former Employee) –  Sandy Lake, ON26 June 2018
They very efficient in their work place areas and their team work values
they were fun to work with, very informative and a safe group of people to be around.
Pros
Fun work experience
Cons
expensive products
I learned a lot at this job
General Store and Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Arviat, NU21 June 2018
Good experience in honing in my management skills. I was able to experience the culture of the Inuit and First Nation's people. I feel I have a better understanding of the overall nature of indigenous culture as well as having a bigger picture of what Canada is.
Pros
Food Allowances and Housing
Cons
Isolation
Very poor work/life balance
Tax Administrator (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB20 June 2018
During busy times, required to work 7 days a week, sometimes as long as 16 hours a day with no recognition of the time and effort put in. Management was more focused on what wasn't being accomplished as opposed to what was.
Pros
yearly performance bonus
Cons
I DO NOT recommend this company to anyone.
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Iqaluit, NU6 June 2018
Low salary for hours expected to work. Absolutely no support from upper management. Training was non existent. Staff housing is deplorable. Very shady company.
Pros
Great oppurtunity to see remote parts of Canada
Cons
The company as a whole is a mess.
Northern and remote place to work
Supervisor Retail (Former Employee) –  Split Lake, MB31 May 2018
Over All great learning experience. If a person enjoys living in northern part of canada then this will be the perfect job for that person. Great salary and perks.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The North West Company. Our community is ready to answer.