The North West Company

The North West Company Employee Reviews

Featured review
The North West Company selected this as a representative review
Working for the northwest company was challenging. Dealing with logistics of ordering and going to the airport to pick up your own freight. Learning diverse cultures . Overall hard challenging work but a great experience overall.
If you're a couple, please beware !The advertising isn't what it is for working couples. You work long hours, and your store manager does everything in his/her power to keep you separated. The training centre encourages a dress code, and then you are picked on at the store for wearing the same clothes as your significant other as well as called names for it.Had really bad experiences with store managers, and alot of them talk BS with their office admins about you. Office admins think they control the entire store, and the power runs straight to their heads (so beware) Would not recommend going to the north if you are currently happy in your relationship.
Pros
Save your money
Cons
Prepare for divorce
I am going to write this review in a way that I would have appreciated reading before applying, because it would have made me think twice.So first, I will admit, most of my negative opinions of this company are directly related to the place in which I was posted. However, from my time with this company I have come to find out that these problems exist everywhere a Northern or Northmart are, and you will find many more unhappy employees in the arctic, than happy ones. So here are a few issues.1.) Pay. You will be expected to work above and beyond the hours you get paid for, which is 37.5 and not a penny more. Too bad you might actually be working 50+ hours and never get time to enjoy the beautiful location you now live. Also, while they pay your housing and most of your food, you still get deductions and after paying all of the extra shipping costs for anything you may purchase/need, you're saving a lot less than what you imagined. This becomes exceptionally less if you have a family and/or pets.2.) Management.What you will come to realize about working in the arctic, is that people with crooked intentions tend to be the ones who are most successful. I had to watch exploitative and illegal behaviors happen from upper management, and be unable to do anything. 'That's how business is down in the North' will be something you hear FAR too often. 3.) FamiliesIf you have children, turn away right now. This is not a job to take if you have children, because the company does not care about the wellbeing of your child. You will be stuck working ridiculous amounts of hours while - more...
Pros
Getting to see a new place
Cons
Indentured servitude.
Took training in Winnipeg and once at the store it all went out the window. The culture they want doesn’t exist in real life. Sent to a store with no training. Crooked managers were there who did illegal activities and eventually got fired. Our housing was abysmal, at times broken water, intermittent power for months and then power cut off for a couple of weeks, broken furnace at the store in work area. The house was HEAVILY smoked in, even though Winnipeg drilled into our hears to not smoke. Once home all our belongings reek like smoke from living there. We are non smokers. Community disliked the store so hard to get help within the community. Felt like we were dumped there, high and dry, Winnipeg tried to help but the logistics are so bad eg. we waited months for proper bedding. I had to crochet us a blanket for the bed since we were cold and blankets ordered from housing took months...sick of sleeping with our coats etc. Over us. There were no blankets at the store. One example of so so many. We stuck it out for months but could see that the company was simply unable to find honest managers who would stay and cultivate the things the company hoped for. There was no housing or store preventative maintenance and no one seemed interested in starting. I was not willing to stay another winter with broken furnaces and seemingly little help. It was all a bad dream and we left after 8 months.
Pros
Huge food budget.
Cons
Bad housing, terrible store manager.
Live working here.. very positive culture and people. Great growth and learning opportunities. Flexible and good work life balance. Highly recommend the employer.
Operated appropriate powered equipment to pick or stock items, Used hand-held scan guns to receive orders and pick products as directed. Fast paced environment.
If you get put onto night shift, you are stuck on night shift. Your schedule stays the same always. Very dirty and hot in the warehouse. Team leaders are hired from outside the company, so little chance of advancement. Extremely difficult to change departments.
This company is definitely going in the wrong direction. Yearly they are gouging the communities they are in and the people within those communities know this which is why they are losing market share throughout the north. You get paid 37.5 per week but are expected to work over 50 on a regular bases if you are in management but only get paid for 37.5 hrs work. Upper management is a joke, Winnipeg needs to take a hard look at this business as if they don’t fix this there won’t be a company in years to come tomany people with no experience within the retail industry
For the first year and a half that I worked for this company, I did so out of the strict necessity to take care of my family. I had no personal investment and didn't care much about the environment or culture. It was only after fully buying into the situation as being a viable future for myself, as well as my spouse, that I came to realize that this company is a farce, at best. The entire operation hinges upon Store and Regional managers and how much they can get away with. They are disrespectful to employees, customers, each other, etc... it's a travesty, when you consider that the company itself claims to care about the Arctic population, while wholeheartedly expressing internally, that the bottom line is all that matters - people outside, or even inside of the operation are always considered expendable. I was lied to, taken advantage of and treated in ways that I have never tolerated in other work situations, mostly because the company relocated me to the middle of nowhere and made me feel as if I were abandoned... don't work for this company if you have even a shred of hope for any other option!
I have more experience and working with the Northwest company I took a lot of training and took me long ways and it became a supervisor how to train a lot of people athletic training done it went to company for so long..
Was a challenging experience having worked in some very remote areas whether it be accessed by ice roads, helicopters, boat or plane. Staff at head office were on the ball and there to help along the way. Very fun way to travel the true north and see some amazing views and people.
The company is very big ,lot of room to grow .There are very different departments for each role.Team members are very helpful.Lots of different techniques to use and lots of learning involved.
It was an amazing experience Learned so many things NWC has made me a new person It was my pleasure to work with NWC Everyday is a new day for me Every time I learned new things with every other person
has very good working environment. people are nice. always busy but very productive. employees are well trained. department mangers are always ready to help and very accommodating.
Gym available Great benefits Canteen on site Parking waiting list Big turnover with employees Complexity with stores being in remote areas in all departments
An experience like no other, I would never work for them again, but they gave me the opportunity to see parts of the world I would never have experienced without working for them.
Remote work locations best enjoyed if you have your partner with you.Great if you have schedule days off after every 3 or 4 months since communities can be very small and quite.
Pros
Good salary
Cons
Remote locations
800 cases per day , everyone in dry grocery grabbing their own pick sheets, leaving garbage for new guys , gravy train for their favorite employees, say they treat everyone the same lies who wants to weekends ? Because thsts what you'll be doin for 20yrs
Pros
Good paycheck
Cons
Poor management
Very good , great atmosphere, good people , nice communities, great staff, great experience, beautiful stores , decent, excellent and hardworking support staff all around .
Most of the management was great, until one of the night shift managers switched to day that is. I hurt myself at work, was off for 3 months, came back to an overzealous new boss who loved nothing more than to flex her power over you, talk down to you and break rules herself. The pay wasn't exactly where it should have been in relation to how fast they asked you to go, for 10 hour shifts, in my opinion anyway. The benefits kind of make up for that though. Overall, I wouldn't recommend working here, not at the murray industrial park location anyway.
Miss management = poor people performance reviews. Poor people culture and lacks and structure. There is limited interest to grow ones career with in the company. Upper management squabble with one another. Like an old boys club culture. Very much a government environment without it being one. Upper management have been around far to longamd they comoany needs to adapt and change