The North West Company Employee Reviews

A good place to get accustomed to working
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Buffalo Narrows, SK9 May 2018
It was a good place to work for my second store job, I liked my co-workers, and it helped me to learn more about working with people and understanding the importance of customer service and courtesy.
Pros
easy walking distance from home
Cons
some employees were too comfortable
Amazing company to work for.
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Attawapiskat, ON21 March 2018
I love working for TNWC, Working in Canada's North and experiencing different cultures has been an amazing adventure for us.
We are well taken care of from housing to a food allowance. I cannot say anything bad about this company.
Pros
Great Company and Benefits
Cons
Working too far from family
Great Benefits, No Work-Life Balance
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  North West Territories22 February 2018
Extremely challenging job in some of the most interesting parts of the country. Good opportunity for advancement, great benefits such as housing and food allowance. Free flights home for vacation.

Difficult environment, challenging communities with lots of social and financial hardships. Work-life balance often non-existent despite company's best efforts.
fun place to work
Warehouse/Grocery Worker (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 February 2018
I would say that the north place company is a great place to earn extra cash on the side as a second job. hours are flexible with great management, looked forward to going into work everyday.
Good workplace
Current Employee (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB17 January 2018
I work specifically in the head office in Winnipeg and am commenting on that environment. This has been a great place for me since I joined. I see the management as passionate about the success of our stores and all wanting the company to do well. The culture is good with the ability to speak to anyone at all levels without hierarchy interfering.

The gym and training options are well utilized by the employees at the office. Lunch classes are very popular.

Management has given me the opportunity to take on new challenges and allow me the flexibility to try new things within my job.

The company is very involved in charitable initiatives as well.
Pros
Onsite gym, downtown location close to The Forks national park
Cons
Not sure but compensation could be better
Productive and Fun workplace
Giant Tiger (Former Employee) –  Yorkton, SK6 January 2018
A typical day at G.T is successfully satisfying the customers in what they were seeking.
I learned how to run the tills, how to have great customer service
The management was good
The hardest part of the job was adjusting to new protocols
The most enjoyable part of the job was making new friends.
Pros
Great Co-Workers
Cons
Fun productive and fast paced environment,
Dispatch Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB30 December 2017
Very fast paced environment, challenging but rewarding. Learnt a lot of new things everyday and being put to the test daily on how to deal with difficult tasks. Met great people while I was there.
Pros
Challenge of my job
Cons
N\a
Challenging and rewarding
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB17 November 2017
A good company to work for, good benefits. See new places and meet interesting people. Remote locations , so be ready to be homesick. It really is quite an adventure
Pros
Rewarding work
Cons
Remote
You are alone in every way in managing these stores.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Northwest Territories24 October 2017
I spent ten years with this company as a manager. The extreme hours, lack of Home office support and constant blame from head office is very tiring. Training is terrible and poorly trained head office unable to assist.

The company lacks a comprehensive vision of the future so instead of heading in positive directions they change merchandising directions constantly, then blame managers for poor program performance.

The communities are challenging but always fun and interesting, the position is basically the same as in southern areas, but the constant backstabbing by Home office is horrendous.

Very tempting pitch, however I would NEVER recommend anyone experienced to fall for it. Your future will be held by a daily whim of your DM... and when they decide to terminate, they will leave you stranded without any way to get home and no concern or humanity at all, I saw many friends given 48 hour notice to get out of housing and it was brutal.

Eventually I couldn't live with the uncertainty and quit before they decided to do it to me and my family.
Pros
Mostly free housing and food allowance
Cons
No job security, constantly blame store level for Home office failures.
Not so good
Department Manager (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Igloolik, NU5 October 2017
Management, HR and ethics are not well balanced in this company.

Work life/home life is not a good balance

Required to work statutory holidays without question.
Pros
Close to work
Cons
Management etc is weak
what I learned
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Black Lake, SK28 September 2017
this positon has give me the opportunities to work in the future. I have learned the to treat people equal, and with respect. I have learned how to retail, janitorial, producer, stocking food, and labeling. I always treated people as my first priority.
Expect to work a lot
Manager (Former Employee) –  northern canada1 September 2017
Rewarding work, long hours when others do not show up. Small communities with great people. Logistical nightmare. remote locations often with very expensive flights. one vacation per year.
benefits
Cons
long weeks
Good place to work for students
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB10 August 2017
Employees consist of different races.

Required to work on weekends.

Make many friends

Good for bachelors

Staff is good

Repetitive work

Good discount for employees
Good work place and environment
Forklift Operator/Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg manitoba6 August 2017
It was a great company for me easy people to get along with the pay was good as well i just ended up going to montreal to visit and family and put in my two weeks really wish i could go bavk
Pros
Job keeps you in shape
Cons
Early mornings
Great Culture, friendly coworkers!
Human Resources (Intern) (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB2 August 2017
I did a 4 week internship there, the staff were all very welcoming, easy to get along with and helpful! The culture is very relaxed. There are great perks to working there, there is a great bistro there that is subsidised by the company so cheap delicious food, there is a GYM there for employees, and they subsidise for parking around there at the forks!
Great Historic Company! Hard working people, Ample learning experiances.
Head Office Employee (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada2 August 2017
The North West Company is a great historic company that aims to provide the best offering of product and services to rural and remote communities.The company is constantly looking into new projects and initiatives to be better. A great place to work with Hard working motivated people.
Pros
Historic Stable Company, Hard Working People, Ample Learning Experiances
would not recommend this company to anyone
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Arctic Bay, NU27 July 2017
terrible work experience, no training, no support from any level of anyone in the company. Store manager didn't even know his own job, relied on the grocery manager for answers, and passed off all customer and staff inquiries to grocery manager as well.
Great learning experience
Business Development and consultancy (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB23 July 2017
It is a great company with great leaders. I will prefer to work more with the North West in future if given an opportunity. I have grown a lot both individually and professionally.
The project demanded a huge amount of confidentiality and it was something new but very thrilling experience.
A good company to work for
Various roles (Former Employee) –  Iqaluit, NU23 June 2017
This is a great place to work if you are looking for adventure. They operate in isolated areas. Mainly across the Arctic regions of Canada.

The isolation can also become difficult because there are limited amenities in most of their operating areas.
long hours with no caring from head office. just get the job done.
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Stevenson Island, MB18 June 2017
difficult environment to work in. remote locations. local population apathetic to working.. long hours are required with little support. 50 to 60 hours a week are needed due to lack of staff. sometimes just being able to open the front door is a challenge. Compensation package is good but you earn it. increased pressure from head office doesn't help the day to day situation.
Pros
compensation package
Cons
lon hours and little support. remote communitities means very little time with family.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The North West Company. Our community is ready to answer.

The North West Company Reviews by Location