The National Benefit Authority

The National Benefit Authority Pay & benefits reviews

Clear
3.7Pay & benefits

Great place to work!

The NBA is a great company! Very professional environment and a great company to deal with. Very honest people who truly care about the well being of Canadians with disabilities. I recommend The NBA to anyone who needs help claiming the benefits to which they deserve.

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere

Cons

Friendly and stress free environment

Great work environment. Stress free and accepting. Supportive and encouraging management. Overall a good work experience. Would highly recommend others to work here.

Pros

Free lunch once in a while.

Amazing company

This is a amazing company. Best way to claim your tax benifits! They are a understanding team, always there to work with you. Highly recommend using this company and working for them

Not a place for growth

If you are retired or just graduating from school and you need money, this would be the best choice for employment. This is not a long term place to be.

O.K company to work for

This is a great company to gain the much-needed experience for people who do not have the luxury of getting employed at a big law firm. There is diversity in our job descriptions, therefore we get to dabble in a little bit of everything, which is great for your resume! The company also has fun and interactive activities that foster positive employee morale. They often provide monetary incentives for participation in these as well. While this is great, the pay is terrible. We are generally overworked in comparison to the compensation we receive. Pay is well below the industry standard. Most managers are great, especially my direct manager, but upper management ignores our requests for better pay,in spite of suggestions for this every monthly check-in meeting (which are also great). Better pay =less turnover for jobs that require a specific skill-set. On the other hand, certain requests are accommodated promptly and I can say that this also fosters positivity in the workplace.

Pros

Snacks, check-in meetings, fun activities

Cons

Pay

Great Entry Level Legal Position

If you are looking for a first job out of post-secondary education and do not have the privilege of working for a top firm or sizable corporation with a legal department, The National Benefit Authority is a great starting spot for your legal career. The National Benefit Authority provides a work/life balance that is well above-average. The company is actively willing to work with the personal lives of all employees to allow them to work flexible hours beyond the traditional 9-5 workday. I have seen many examples of this in my short time here. The National Benefit Authority offers what I think is a pretty solid benefits package, at what I believe is a low price taken from my bi-weekly paycheque. I do believe my hourly wage (salary is not offered for non-management) could be higher as it is below industry average. In my department, I don't see a large chance to advance as there is only one management position. The company as a whole works on a call-center model, which does not mesh well with specialized roles such as tax and legal. Upper management at The National Benefit Authority has been very positive in suggesting of me to progress my legal qualifications. Additionally, upper management has also taken steps to individualize the work tasks of specialized roles after suggestions from staff. I feel that most of my concerns are handled correctly and effectively by upper management. Management overall is effective in their problem-solving, company development and all other aspects of management. I have never been met with negative attitudes when inquiring to management -

Great work enviroment!

Loved working there. They treat their employees very well. Great work environment. Enjoyed helping fellow Canadians with their disability benefits. Definitely would recommend working there.

Pros

Very good to their employees

What is there to review?

Working for the National Benefit Authority was at first fun. However things turned for the worst once the new bill (C-462) came into play. It took a downhill turn after that and it showed no signs of recovering. In 2016 the company had 2 layoffs. HR is totally nonexistent. Key performance indicators were abolished since they made new "changes". Organizational structure and hierarchy is totally nonexistent as well. If the CEO or the COO has a new idea it then is instantly put into action without even weighing the pros and cons of such a plan. They both are surrounded by "YES" people.

Pros

Free snacks, free coffee, a bit of schedule flexibility and jewish holidays

Cons

Meager benefits, small hourly wage, no pay increase, no performance bonuses

An evolving company that keeps improving.

Genuinely affable executive & management staff. They recognize potential in their employees and are willing to advance those that have proven themselves to be dedicated, proactive, and competent. If you take ownership of your roll, you will get noticed and rewarded for your diligence. While with the company, there were admittedly a some cons that lead to my need to leave; however, as I have kept in touch with many people still with the company, I am aware that they have taken amazing strides in their efforts to create a happy and supportive work environment. They've recruited some amazing new talent since my departure and their induction of official & qualified human resources professional has drastically improved the environment for current employees.

Pros

Good benefits. Safe and clean work environment. Decent pay. Fantastic on-site IT support.

Cons

Unless you live in the area, the commute is horrible.

Jobs at The National Benefit Authority