The Mustard Seed

The Mustard Seed Employee Reviews

Canada37 reviews
It is a great place to work with the inner city community. However you will only succeed if you are of certain ethnicity. There isnt that much of a direction, and the coworkers are of the mentality of dog-eat-dog. it is a very close tight community, but other than that really good place to work at.
Wonder where near-end-date food ends? It ends up at one of The Mustard Seed's many warehouses. Volunteers like me sort out food for food-insecured individuals in the society. Everyone enjoys helping the needed. You can also bring home some extremely dated food. But that's OK. They're all edible.
Pros
Free food to bring home
Senior leadership team is self-serving. Psychologically unhealthy work environment, especially at the shelter and street levels. TMS has serious internal issues. LGBTQ community is not embraced as staff, nor are other religions or beliefs. Are not fiscally responsible.
Pros
Can't think of any
Cons
Too many to name
Higher management is absolutely horrible. No respect for workers time. They don't care if you work overtime and they never pay for it. Very high turnover.
Worked with hard working team members for several years at Finance department and thanks it to give me a chance to know some wonderful people and made friends there.
Pros
very good benefits are for full time staff
Cons
part- time staff are not get paid well
Great place to work to help the homeless and vulnerable people in Edmonton. Christian values at core but not always put into practice. Staff and management are helpful when starting out.
Its a good place although they could be doing a lot more for the resident ...as a volunteer I found they were good to most people although with stuff always going on and lack of funding in a lot of areas, things that would benefit people are slacking
Can’t feed a family on $16 an hour
Great job for a semi retired or retired person or maybe a student but no one else really. The culture is ok but the job is very stressful and they are always cutting corners even though they are fully funded.
The Calgary mustard seed has been the most amazing place I have ever worked for. every day that I am there I never feel like I am at work. my favorite part about this company is everyone one works as a team
love coming to volunteer it is such a fulfilling place to be. yes you are working but it feels so good to help others that it does not feel like work at all. all the staff are awesome and the guests are great.
Always busy with lots of activity inside and outside the buildings. Great people to work with and residents always there for a laugh, cry or conversation. Hardest part of the job is not getting personally attached to these residents.
Pros
making new friends
Cons
grief councelling when someone passes away
Top non profit in Alberta... high turnover on every level
One of the top non- profit organizations in Calgary
I liked the people I worked with directly, the higher management wasn't the greatest, I met the greatest people during my years, but the higher management shouldn't be managing the organization because they do not have integrity or fear of God.
Pros
great co-workers
Cons
worse higher management
a typical day at work is cleaning of buildings doing minor repairs of buildings the management is there to help you grow in the company
The workplace culture is good lots of the people who work there are friendly
Pros
free food
It was fun working with The Seed and been working for more than 2 years with them. I have an excellent manager to work with and reliable colleague that will help you all through out during my tenured days. I was inspired by their programs and visions in helping the homeless and giving them hope to get back on their feet to start a new. Unfortunately I have to leave the company due to changes of management which most people are forced to resign.
A typical day would include answering the phone and handling donations from people who walk in. Also would include explaining to people when their clothing drive/store would open as well as when food will be served
A client or employee would get more support from a Sargent then at the mustard seed. Don’t waste your mental health or spirit on this “Christian Organization”. Over worked and underpaid!
The Mustard Seed is a good place to learn to serve and to work with all types of people. It's also good experience for learning to handle food, work quickly, and take special requests.
Pros
You get fed after working, and the equipment to work with is provided along with clear instructions.
Cons
There is no place to sit afterwards, and there's a lot of cigarette smoke, which is not good for those with breathing issues or other sensitivities.
Great team to work with until it comes to the Supervisors and management. A lot of passive aggressiveness with them. Indirect communication etc. Self care is not encouraged and when you need a day off you will be judged or there will be comments like"do you actually need a day off". See alot of clients get set up to fail (move into the building then be evicted due to their mental health etc. Really a toxic work environment and the pay isn't enough for it,

Save yourself the damage.
Love the job because of the people I work with. everyone is so awesome here, staff volunteers and our lovely community. great oppurtunity. should apply
Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Mustard Seed. Our community is ready to answer.
2.8