The Mustard Seed

The Mustard Seed Employee Reviews

Great place to work if you are worried about getting losing your job every day due to politics

Horrible management at the time I worked there and no one was valued as an employee. You lived in fear for your job and the office politics was straight out of a soap opera.

One of the best cultures I have ever been a part of!

I worked at The Mustard Seed in Red Deer for just over 2 years and I would have to say it was 2 of the best years of my life. Although my frontline role presented several challenges with the people we cared for, it was a highly rewarding experience and I forever grateful for the opportunity. I gained a lot of confidence in the care giving industry as the team around me and leaders were very encouraging and supportive. This line of work is not for everyone and if people are not cared for by management and do not have a healthy work like balance with good self-care practices, then some may leave empty or angry. I have seen this in other agencies where the staff are not cared for well or the employee does not take very good care of themselves.The leadership at The Mustard Seed is very caring and cares a lot about each employee, their health, their families and their personal growth. All you have to do is speak with some of the committed volunteers who have been there consistently over the years the organization has been in town, and you quickly hear about an organization that is making a big difference in the lives of many people in Red Deer and beyond.

Pros

+ Loved the workplace culture, I will miss them! +Making a difference in the lives of the clients

Cons

- Caring for vulnerable people is hard work

Well-meaning but high turnover and unorganized as a whole

Lack of knowledge surrounding harm reduction Lack of communication and partnership with other agencies Unorganized and often chaotic Overbearing staff Toxic work environment hiding under christian practises that are simply outdated for the clientele

Pros

Well known organization, lunch provided, benefits

Cons

Toxic work environment, lack of harm reduction knowledge, lack of partnership with other agencies such as shelters

Productive work environment

The work days are very well organized. The management is always very good. The Mustard Seed employees are very good at showing the new comers what and how to do the things that were supposed to do each day. 100%

Pros

Very nice co-workers and management.

Cons

There are no cons.

Great place to work and grow your career

I worked for the organization for 3.5 years, based in Edmonton. I can truly say that with all things considered, it’s been the best place I’ve ever worked but I say that with my role in mind (not all roles are created equal and I can’t speak on the experiences my colleagues in the front lines at the shelters or at community hubs have). In the beginning it was tough as I was under a manager that had no business managing anyone, but after the department restructured, I began reporting directly to the Exec Dir, which changed everything for the better. I felt supported and encouraged, my ideas were welcomed and my boss trusted me to get my work done without breathing down my neck or constantly monitoring my every move. Any feedback I got was given to me in a way that was easy to digest and encouraged me to do better. Benefits are great, I felt the culture was positive for the most part (there’s always gonna be a little office politics anywhere you go), and I felt my work-life balance was great. I did end up moving on, but only because I’m looking for more upwards mobility in my career that I couldn’t see happening with my particular role. I would have stayed here forever if the opportunity was available. Overall it’s been an amazing place to work and I’ll always look back at my time there fondly.

Pros

Positive culture, work-life balance, supportive colleagues, good leadership in Edmonton, great stepping stone for certain careers, 100% employer paid benefits, wellness days

Cons

Non-profit pay falls in lower range for like positions in other organizations, few opportunities to move up in certain roles

It Alright: opportunities to Learn , But Lots could be done so much better

You put up with a lot in this role. I started in this role earlier in the week and have noticed a lot of things. I wouldn't be surprised about the high turnover here. Respect others around you, but no need to make friends. Set up your boundaries. Go about your daily duties, do whatever tasks you need to and keep your personal life private. Its rather disappointing trying to help people, but there is little communication or support about what you're supposed to do or how things work. Members at the Shelter disrespect employees at times, team leads dont care at times. No proper training of the sort to see what you need to learn. Lots of miscommunication. Tons of it. Things could be done better.

Pros

Team Work Present, Friendly Staff, creating connections with people, learning opportunities, Your shifts are different each day which is interesting

Cons

Miscommunication, lack of proper training, high turnover ( guarantee it), clients causing tons of violence, tight knit environment, foul language from some clients at shelter and some staff

The most humane, compassionate place you have ever seen

Wonder where near-end-date food ends? It ends up at one of The Mustard Seed's many warehouses. Volunteers like me sort out food for food-insecured individuals in the society. Everyone enjoys helping the needed. You can also bring home some extremely dated food. But that's OK. They're all edible.

Pros

Free food to bring home

Tough Work Environment

Senior leadership team is self-serving. Psychologically unhealthy work environment, especially at the shelter and street levels. TMS has serious internal issues. LGBTQ community is not embraced as staff, nor are other religions or beliefs. Are not fiscally responsible.

Pros

Can't think of any

Cons

Too many to name

Fun place to work but very stressful with horrible management

Higher management is absolutely horrible. No respect for workers time. They don't care if you work overtime and they never pay for it. Very high turnover.

diversity

It is a great place to work with the inner city community. However you will only succeed if you are of certain ethnicity. There isnt that much of a direction, and the coworkers are of the mentality of dog-eat-dog. it is a very close tight community, but other than that really good place to work at.

Jobs at The Mustard Seed

See more jobs

knowing some wonderful people and made friends there

Worked with hard working team members for several years at Finance department and thanks it to give me a chance to know some wonderful people and made friends there.

Pros

very good benefits are for full time staff

Cons

part- time staff are not get paid well

Great place to work to help the homeless and vulnerable people in Edmonton. Christian values at core but not always put into practice. Staff and management are helpful when starting out.

Staff are stressed

Its a good place although they could be doing a lot more for the resident ...as a volunteer I found they were good to most people although with stuff always going on and lack of funding in a lot of areas, things that would benefit people are slacking

Not Enough Money

Can’t feed a family on $16 an hour Great job for a semi retired or retired person or maybe a student but no one else really. The culture is ok but the job is very stressful and they are always cutting corners even though they are fully funded.

very fun and out going

The Calgary mustard seed has been the most amazing place I have ever worked for. every day that I am there I never feel like I am at work. my favorite part about this company is everyone one works as a team

i volunteer here

love coming to volunteer it is such a fulfilling place to be. yes you are working but it feels so good to help others that it does not feel like work at all. all the staff are awesome and the guests are great.

Never the same day twice

Always busy with lots of activity inside and outside the buildings. Great people to work with and residents always there for a laugh, cry or conversation. Hardest part of the job is not getting personally attached to these residents.

Pros

making new friends

Cons

grief councelling when someone passes away

Top non profit in Alberta...

Top non profit in Alberta... high turnover on every level

One of the top non- profit organizations in Calgary

One of the top non- profit organizations in Calgary

higher management was awful

I liked the people I worked with directly, the higher management wasn't the greatest, I met the greatest people during my years, but the higher management shouldn't be managing the organization because they do not have integrity or fear of God.

Pros

great co-workers

Cons

worse higher management

free food

a typical day at work is cleaning of buildings doing minor repairs of buildings the management is there to help you grow in the company The workplace culture is good lots of the people who work there are friendly

Pros

free food

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Mustard Seed. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7Job security/advancement