The Mustard Seed Employee Reviews

Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 July 2019
One of the top non- profit organizations in Calgary
higher management was awful
Caseworker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 May 2019
I liked the people I worked with directly, the higher management wasn't the greatest, I met the greatest people during my years, but the higher management shouldn't be managing the organization because they do not have integrity or fear of God.
Pros
great co-workers
Cons
worse higher management
free food
Facilities worker (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 May 2019
a typical day at work is cleaning of buildings doing minor repairs of buildings the management is there to help you grow in the company
The workplace culture is good lots of the people who work there are friendly
Pros
free food
The Mustard Seed was great Company!
Technician (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 December 2018
It was fun working with The Seed and been working for more than 2 years with them. I have an excellent manager to work with and reliable colleague that will help you all through out during my tenured days. I was inspired by their programs and visions in helping the homeless and giving them hope to get back on their feet to start a new. Unfortunately I have to leave the company due to changes of management which most people are forced to resign.
A typical day
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 August 2018
A typical day would include answering the phone and handling donations from people who walk in. Also would include explaining to people when their clothing drive/store would open as well as when food will be served
Terrible leaders
Frontline (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 August 2018
A client or employee would get more support from a Sargent then at the mustard seed. Don’t waste your mental health or spirit on this “Christian Organization”. Over worked and underpaid!
A fun place to learn and serve, with all sorts of people coming to volunteer, and to eat.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 July 2018
The Mustard Seed is a good place to learn to serve and to work with all types of people. It's also good experience for learning to handle food, work quickly, and take special requests.
Pros
You get fed after working, and the equipment to work with is provided along with clear instructions.
Cons
There is no place to sit afterwards, and there's a lot of cigarette smoke, which is not good for those with breathing issues or other sensitivities.
Good Team Terrible Supervisors/Management
Front Line (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 June 2018
Great team to work with until it comes to the Supervisors and management. A lot of passive aggressiveness with them. Indirect communication etc. Self care is not encouraged and when you need a day off you will be judged or there will be comments like"do you actually need a day off". See alot of clients get set up to fail (move into the building then be evicted due to their mental health etc. Really a toxic work environment and the pay isn't enough for it,

Save yourself the damage.
Love the community
Street Level Worker/Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 June 2018
Love the job because of the people I work with. everyone is so awesome here, staff volunteers and our lovely community. great oppurtunity. should apply
Amazing place to volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 February 2018
Volunteering here was one of the highlights of my life, everyone there was so friendly and accommodating, you were able to see the ins and outs of an NGO, and left feeling accomplished and proud of what you've done.
A lot of talk, little action
Middle manager (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB3 February 2018
With lawsuits and gossip galore: management with little to no capacity...

The above sets the tone for their core values to be muffled out. Three hour meetings that are based completley on ego stroking disfunctional politness. Christian, two faced, biggots and not enough busses in the city to throw them under. Kind of the foundation of the culture I had to endure for almost two years.

Overdoses, physical assaults, verbal assaults - daily situational challenges from the public being served and backstabbing pettiness from the staff internally.

The Director rarely ever at work and a bunch of mindless opurtunists unwittingly following a spinelless leader. This group of people are the reason Christian culture is so diluted.
Pros
Supporting most vulnerable
Cons
Top down, needs to be torn down and rebuilt
Poorly treated and paid; Frontline staff
Front Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 December 2017
If you don't mind commiting half of your week to a organization that pays you low wages and no benefits, all while under the threat of injury, assualt, and gang related violence... This job is for you.

If you do mind, then you may want to consider applying as a practicum student and leaving the workplace for somewhere better (after you complete your degree/diploma).

The only positive might be if your recieve a salary job, because they set you up in a cushy office with a good benefit package and tight-knit job security.

I removed myself from the workplace after just 3 months, and am fascinated people continue to work there. You got a good supportive frontline team that are in the same boat as you. Which helps.
Pros
Nice team
Cons
Low pay, no benefits.
Not an equal opportunity employer
Frontline Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 December 2017
The management of that time was not accommodating and that annoyed more than a dozen workers and they left. They were racial and favoring the employee who did not have skill to perform the job responsibilities.
Street level
Street level worker (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB28 November 2017
Working as part of the street level team has been amazing! Every day is different and I love all of the relationships I have created. It is a blessing to serve our population, always rewarding helping those who need it. The staff is so kind, everyone is compassionate and works hard to fulfill the needs of our guests. There are many programs offered to assist guests.
A caring and loving organisation
Assist client (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 November 2017
A safe environment and well managed organisation with dedicated staff and management team. Open to people with different cultural background and always ready to educate staff on regular basis. Always enjoying the company of other staff members.
Pros
Free Lunches and more shift as part time staff
Poor job security, No benefits for frontline staff.
Frontline Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 October 2017
I worked at the Mustard Seed for about 5 months before leaving due to their minimal financial and health benefits. I received as little as 18 hours per week, with minimal hourly pay for having a degree. Unless you are applying for a full time position, do not waste your time.
Pros
Kind, caring and friendly staff.
Cons
No job security, no benefits, low pay, poor management, high turn over rate (for good reason).
A really honourable place
Food Service Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 July 2017
The Mustard Seed is a really great place to volunteer. I am very blessed to have been able to help others in such a well thought out shelter. All the best to everyone at the shelter.
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 April 2017
Productive work environment, that provides room for grow. You are able to learn great skills for other career opportunities. A great team that ensures that the work environment is safe to work.
Not bad for non profit
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 March 2017
Pros: Christian company that is openly evangelistic. Staff are caring and compassionate. Most if not all have a real heart and desire to serve the vulnerable and disadvantaged population. Many front line staff work extra for no benefit in order to serve the homeless

Cons: No focus or end goal by senior management. Very poor communication between management and front line staff. Management often makes knee jerk decisions that often result in negative outcomes for front line staff. Job security is based on favoritism and loyalty. One bad quarter of donations and jobs are eliminated. Unless you have a positive personal history with your supervisor or senior manager your job is always in jeopardy. Very political workplace. New employees should be careful about what they say and to whom.
Pros
flexible hours, above average benefits for full time people, good salary in the non profit space
Cons
high turnover and low morale, poor job culture, no job security
A very busy environment
Christmas Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, Alberta20 February 2015
Greatest part of my day was working with the Volunteer Resources team as they shared their office with member of my team plus members of HR, facilities, finance and donor relations.

Cohesion, communication, joy, helping others

Hardest part of my job was being hired 1 month late which left no time for staff and myself to become acquainted, and then had to put out fires and quickly set up the biggest events for the year.
Pros
Team mates
Cons
Lack of time for proper preparation, company lacked preparation of contract staff arrival

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Mustard Seed. Our community is ready to answer.

The Mustard Seed Reviews by Location